The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

We only had two shooters the night we went to the shoot out does anyone know if jussi was going to be the third if it went that far?

I don't remember the list, but I do remember that Jokinen as NOT on it.  I considered shootouts as his role on the team and I took note that he wasn't on the list, which is why I remember that. 

EDIT: I think the trio was Semin, Skinner and Tlusty

Edited by jb_online

I don't remember the list, but I do remember that Jokinen as NOT on it.  I considered shootouts as his role on the team and I took note that he wasn't on the list, which is why I remember that. 

I forgot about that.  Fire Kirk?

I think I might have identified our problem:
For a GM to succeed in this league, he needs to be emotionally detached from the team.  This allows him to be more objective when it comes to identifying the needs of the team, so he doesn't get emotionally wrapped up in the players and thus risks holding onto them too long or showing favoritism.

For a coach to succeed in this league, he needs to be emotionally attached to his players.  He needs to get down in the trenches with them...to be their biggest advocate...to not be afraid to take them to task when needed. 

Kirk and Jim have their roles backwards...

Kirk has the team playing Mo Hockey now ... i.e. after the opposing team scores, just skate around without any fire, passion or desire to play anymore, until the fans all leave then the game ends.  (yes, basically in that order )

Maybe he's getting us all ready for the transition to Mo 3.0 ?

Kirk has the team playing Mo Hockey now ... i.e. after the opposing team scores, just skate around without any fire, passion or desire to play anymore, until the fans all leave then the game ends.  (yes, basically in that order )

Maybe he's getting us all ready for the transition to Mo 3.0 ?

He's also looking to solve our defense problems by bringing back T Kabs and Babchuk.

I forgot about that.  Fire Kirk?

BTW, since there are a lot of emotions going on here, I want to point out the above was sarcastic.

I am not in favor of firing Kirk.  I am in favor of having him get a full season with training camp.  Some other posters disagree about the training camp being important.  So be it.  In any case, I think he needs a full season.  Then let's see what happens.

Likewise, we are re-upping as STHers to give it another chance.  I'll try to not leave games early, but I have not other good way to send a message to the management.

Now, I do think JR has to have a strong discussion with Kirk in the post season debrief.  They need to seriously look at the full coaching staff.  Something isn't working for special teams.  It is well known this is delegated for the most part.  Hmmm.

As for JR...  He needs to look carefully at himself and have a talk with PK about succession.  It is time, he's on the cusp of full social security benefits.  He has a young child who is and will be sapping his energy.    I'm wondering if there are not too many distractions with him too. 

Wonder how Jussi felt when, after being with the Canes for going on 5-years, and being a big part of the 2009 playoff run, and being a stand-up team-guy ...

.... the Canes organization hands the "A-Capt" letter to a young player, a newcomer, a never on the team, never in the Canes locker room before person with the last name of Staal?  

Wonder why Jordan really got it... ???

Oh yea,that's called fa·vor·it·ism!!How does favoritism play out in most work places?  Does it increase moral and motivation... duhhh!!![/size]It's certainly not a good thing in competitive sports.

When I saw Jordan was given the "A" I remember thinking ...oh great we're putting all our pucks in the Staal basket...what a slap in the face to other players that have paid their dues and proven the are a CANE...an A was sewn onto his jersey before he ever put it on...shouldn't you EARN the A ? BIG MISTAKE JR and as it turns out right now no one wearing a letter looks like they are leading this team :(

Should we strip them all as an incentive? Rotating letters depending on your play each game...only "free" letters are the ones your mama gave you...the rest you earn! I suggest you not be "fragile or thin skinned"!

When I saw Jordan was given the "A" I remember thinking ...oh great we're putting all our pucks in the Staal basket...what a slap in the face to other players that have paid their dues and proven the are a CANE...an A was sewn onto his jersey before he ever put it on...shouldn't you EARN the A ? BIG MISTAKE JR and as it turns out right now no one wearing a letter looks like they are leading this team :(

Should we strip them all as an incentive? Rotating letters depending on your play each game...only "free" letters are the ones your mama gave you...the rest you earn! I suggest you not be "fragile or thin skinned"!

You're certainly not alone here. Gifting it to Jordan is just one more case of favoritism handed out by JR... and that's never good in any kind of work force situation.  

You're certainly not alone here. Gifting it to Jordan is just one more case of favoritism handed out by JR... and that's never good in any kind of work force situation.  

Well besides the A on Jordan's sweater lets add in the Westgarth situation...and dropping the juice to the 3rd line and not putting FINNS and skins back together when we had the chance even though it was a proven line and dare I had the goalie fiasco... You call,out Peters after a questionable performance even though you refuse to start him on a regular basis and you keep giving Ellis the start even though he is screwing up game after game making what look like rookie mistakes to the rest of us. The coach is calling for accountability yet turns a blind eye to glaring mistakes and seems to even reward them in some cases... I say you start holding EVERYONE to the same standards... Not based on the pay your getting or what your last name is but based on the fact that you are a CANE in a Hurricanes sweater and you better play like it! If not you can watch from the stands/press box like the rest of us...heck maybe we even charge them the price of admission.

I don't know what it is. I also thought it was a bit odd to sign J. and give him an A. Seemed to be saying to the other 20 plus guys, "OK this is the Staal's team. Get used to it." Seemed unnecessary. 

I don't know if that is it, but something is going on in the room and or the psycho-social area of this team. There is simply no way that this team loses 10/11 games if things are ok. Even w/ injuries, etc. Yes, the team is fragile, but why? Not just because a couple of losses occurred. I can guess. Jussi was waived. Maybe he was unhappy w/ being passed over for the "A" then dumped on the third line. I really have no idea, but why not speculate? Not much else to do.

When Staal started his first full year as Captain under Mo, he had probably the worst stretch of his career. 

Last time I saw this team go on a stunning losing streak was when Brindamour overstayed his captaincy and the team pretty much laid down. Kind of what is happening now.

Last night Tripp kept talking about the fine line between winning and losing. Yes, I know he's trying to be positive. Frankly, no one wants to hear him blast the team during a telecast, but he's right. There is a fine line. The Canes are not the Washington Generals, just letting the other team win, but they are bringing just enough not to look that bad but still lose every game. 

That is not injuries, that is not system, that is something eating at guys so that they are just showing up because they are paid to do it, and playing somewhat hard because they are professionals. But with a game that is so intense, if guys are not giving that little bit extra it is just enough to be on the wrong side of that fine line, night in and night out. 

It might be easy to point to Semin since he is the most "usual suspect" of all, but if he's the problem, they are hiding it really really well, and we are in big trouble. I don't think it's him.

Anyway, I wonder if it has something to do w/ the Staals "owning" the team, and rubbing some guys wrong, but I am just guessing. But I am pretty darned sure it IS something like that. Not hockey issues. 

Edited by remkin

Frankly, no one wants to hear him blast the team during a telecast, but he's right.

if the team is stinking up ice rather hear that cotton candy

BTW, since there are a lot of emotions going on here, I want to point out the above was sarcastic.

I knew you were joking, I was going to post something and go along with it but I didn't find the time to do so.  I'm not giving up on Muller either, I think he's a good coach.  At least worth giving another season or two.

I don't know guys, I don't think GMs assign the captaincy positions.  Isn't that the coaches jurisdiction?  JR would obviously have a lot of say in the matter, but you might want to include Kirk in that argument as well.

I totally agree, by the way, JStaal shouldn't have just walked in and been handed something that you normally have to earn.  I can't say what's been done and said behind the scenes, but on the ice he hasn't lived up to that honor, it seems.  And Gleason doesn't really seem to fit the job description, either.  Then again, there aren't a lot of players on the current roster that do right now.

I knew you were joking, I was going to post something and go along with it but I didn't find the time to do so.  I'm not giving up on Muller either, I think he's a good coach.  At least worth giving another season or two.

I don't know guys, I don't think GMs assign the captaincy positions.  Isn't that the coaches jurisdiction?  JR would obviously have a lot of say in the matter, but you might want to include Kirk in that argument as well.

I totally agree, by the way, JStaal shouldn't have just walked in and been handed something that you normally have to earn.  I can't say what's been done and said behind the scenes, but on the ice he hasn't lived up to that honor, it seems.  And Gleason doesn't really seem to fit the job description, either.  Then again, there aren't a lot of players on the current roster that do right now.

I think its also important to note we are not privy to much of anything that goes on in the locker, in the training rooms, and off the ice between these guys, so how they relate and lead is I think just mostly speculation on our part. 

I agree about seeing how Mueller does after a full traing camp. If there is a problem in the room address it and fix before next year. On a side note I just wanted to say how much I enjoy this message board and the people on it. People have different opinions but are usually respectful of each other. I sometimes visit other teams boards (but dont post) and you would not believe how awful they are. You have to wade through garbage to see actual hockey posts. Lol

Well, we are the best fans in the league, so no surprises! :) Shame our team sucks atm.... ;(

I agree about seeing how Mueller does after a full traing camp. If there is a problem in the room address it and fix before next year. On a side note I just wanted to say how much I enjoy this message board and the people on it. People have different opinions but are usually respectful of each other. I sometimes visit other teams boards (but dont post) and you would not believe how awful they are. You have to wade through garbage to see actual hockey posts. Lol

We have moderators who rule with an iron fist are the best in the league.  Their example is contagious.  :)

I have nothing more to post about. I have never been this disappointed before. I am way more disappointed now than after our cup winning season. This one really hurts guys....

I have nothing more to post about. I have never been this disappointed before. I am way more disappointed now than after our cup winning season. This one really hurts guys....

Agreed, I posted almost exactly the same message earlier in the playoff chances thread. Gutted, was sure we were a playoff team this season...

The whole thing makes me sick. Teenage daughter said she'd rather us get season tickets instead of a car. First time ever able to swing full season. Followed the lockout every day, eagerly anticipating this season. Suffered through opening night and they turned the corner. Then they fell off the cliff. And are still falling. Sorry JR, no incentive to renew. Can't justify it.

I like Kirk. I'm all for giving him next season to redeem himself. But honestly, when you only win one in the last 12? 13? games, you should probably try a few new things. I'm not saying blow up your system or create a new strategy, but try changing something here or there. Even if you are so absolutely sold on your system. Sometimes if you keep saying keep doing what you're doing even though all it has done lately is bring in the losses, a little change here or there may change things just enough to get players going, but not enough to disrupt your system. And with only about 11 games left, dropping hard and fast, and fans losing all faith/hope/emotional investment in the season, why wouldn't you try a few new things. The expectations have evaporated, so what's the point in drilling the same stuff that quite clearly isn't working into your team's heads? I like Kirk, and I don't want to see him fired.

Knowing JR, he's going to give Kirk the benefit of the doubt and say "Kirk, your starting goalie has been out since early March, you've had a healthy blueline for about a month, give or take a week, and your forwards are either inexperienced, injured, playing injured, or just plain inconsistent. Go over your gameplan this summer, give me feedback on the type of players you'd want in that gameplan, and sell that gameplan in the training camp. Then, going from there we will evaluate your work and determine if this is working or not."

Or we can do something ridiculous like win 6 or 7 in a row, get back into things, and then flop in the playoffs. And ruin our draft pick :[

Anemic power play has stunned me. The regular cycling offense was relatively productive, would loved to have seen them try that sometime. We all knew the defense was questionable but I didn't foresee the fragility that's been evident lately. Kirk has a decent system, I agree. I haven't seen him be able to tweak it though after other teams got some video and learned to beat it.

I agree that Capt. Kirk should get at least through November before thinking about letting him go. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders but he needs to stop, at some point, being friends with the players and be a coach.  Talking positive and being nice just hasn't seem to work.  I think he needs to tell the team that his job is on the line and they better pick it up or he will see them go before him.  (imho)

Yes, we have had injury after injury but we should be able to win a few more than 1 out of 12!!  Pitkanen is out, and in my opinion is a good thing, hopefully Faulk will be back soon (he is our best defenseman).  E.Staal looks tired and seems to be slowing down. Skinner let's his temper get the best of him (of course, everyone has learned his moves and how to counter them.).  Most of all....it's time to stop dumping the puck...again!  If I had to play against Canes, I would be looking for it every time.  SO...switch it up!  Carry the puck in, stay off the boards, and SHOOT THE PUCK!!

Sorry, just my frustration getting the better of me but we take long shots way too much.  You never know what's going to happen if you work it in a shoot.  I just wish they did more of this type playing.

GO CANES!

What I am not sure about is , what difference will/would have been if we did have a preseason? We are 3 full months(37 games) into the season and we are getting worse? Shouldn't we be getting better as the season goes on? Not sure if it being a full season (with a pre-season) if there would be any difference! I guess if you look at the brightside of the lockout is we only have to deal with all this crap for 1/2 season instead of a full one!!

I guess if you look at the brightside of the lockout is we only have to deal with all this crap for 1/2 season instead of a full one!!

DJ, I think this might be the first thing you've ever posted where I totally agree with you :)