The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I know there are other issues, But the Canes are 3-11-1 since Ward went down...they were 13-8-1 at that time.

Biggest loss of the season was Ward going down to injury, & how quickly this team lost their confidence, & all of their ability to find ways to win. 

I was at the Rangers game, & as soon as the first goal went in you could see it on almost every player's face...31 seconds later it was 2-0 rags...game over.

Edited by rocheccw

I don't understad how the Staal Semin Tlusty line is still together. Maybe disperse them and get some mojo going then bring them back together if needed later on but right now all our eggs are in one basket.

It's crazy talk to break up your only working line but....we need 3 working lines not 1 :\

I also think Jordan being put on the 3rd line could serve as a wake up call to him that just because he signed here doesnt mean the 2nd line was a given to him.

Edited by Legend

I was at the Rangers game, & as soon as the first goal went in you could see it on almost every player's face...31 seconds later it was 2-0 rags...game over.

In the  Cup run  the attitude when a goal was scored on the Canes the attitude seemed to be "that's OK we just score two)

Starting to think more about us getting Seth Jones and having him jump into our starting lineup next season than getting wins the rest of the way.

Please don't rush Semin or Faulk back.  Don't rush Cam either (unless its as a trading chip).

Just sayin, "catching TB and FL and CO"  ain't looking so bad anymore.

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

I wonder what the deal with Faulk is...he looked so good in the pre-game skate before the TB game.  He was on the ice before all the other guys and worked with the team in all the drills.  He had a regular practice jersey on. 

We are not trading Wardo anytime soon, this season pretty much solidifies that. Unless he requests a trade or something, which I don't see.

The thing that hurts the most for me this season is having to wait all that time during the lockout for hockey, finally getting it, and now towards the end of a shortened season I don't even want to watch the games anymore because it's around 2-0 to 3-0 after 20.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Firing Muller is not the answer. After losing ugly the first 2 games, we went 15 - 7 over the next 22. Losing Cam does not explain 1 win in 13 games, but we have also been taking hits all year long on defense where we were thin to begin with. An upgrade or 2 to the defense, more defensive depth in the system, and a real NHL caliber back-up goalie (Ellis still might be that guy if he stays healthy), and I believe this team will compete if we are not completely snake-bitten with injuries next year. For this year, as much as it hurts, we benefit more from losses that add up to a higher draft pick.

As crazy as this sounds (only because I've posted it before during brindys last season and the MO must go again campaign) as disappointing as this season is turning out I will be in a seat on the 13th and again on the 20th and again on the 25th...because after that I will have a long wait till I can put my butt in a seat again and YELL LETS GO CANES... So I am going to be a team player-win or lose I'll support my team. LETS GO CANES

I know I'll be back too.  But it will be with less frequency.  I stuck with them during the lockout.  I'll still be a fan.  Still jaded and disillusioned after this season, but I'll be back.

They did pick a bummer of a year to jack up prices though, didn't they?

Our D has been soft and injuries have prevented lines from developing cohesion.  Our backup goalies are just that: backup goalies.  I like them both and think highly of both of them.  But tonight didn't help their cause any.

One bright note:  I couldn't attend last Thursday's game so a fella from work bought mine from me.  Of course it was just one in a long string of disappointments but his two young boys and wife all asked when could they go to another hockey game.  Any time I can convert someone east of I-95 into a Canes fan then I feel at least some accomplisment!

I still love the Canes and hope this will be that "quick horrible lockout season" that we had once before coming back and making runs in the playoffs the following years.  sigh, the only other time I remember being worse than this was the year after we won the cup I think we had the worst record in the league the whole year.  It's rare to see a canes team that cannot make a comeback and cannot dig out of a whole.  We were the cardiac canes for years, always finding a way to battle back and win it...........guess thats history.  Maybe the pressure is off now that theres no chance for anything and we can win a bunch of games and miss the playoffs by 2 points. Or.....what if we just lose every game from here on out?  I can't imagine us winning.

I wonder if Semin is regretting sigining here and not leaving his options open this summer, I wonder if Jordan wishes he was on his first place penguin team right now. 

It is funny but the post about stages of grief are right on. This happened so quickly, and yet the finality of it allows me to transition into a combination of numbness about this year, and a strange sense of hope for next year. 

The fact that things imploded in such a utterly devastating way, forces change. Forces the powers that be to soul search and face facts. JR has reportedly been trying to make a deal for the defense since last year. But now this has be jobs 1-2-3. Cam and Faulk out lays bare the fact that we have a truly weak defense. The very first time the wheels came off this year was when we were down 3 dmen. JR should go back and watch those games. The answer is there. 

I don't want to get people riled up about going for a top pick, but again, if that were to happen...great. Top tier Free Agents are so rare and sooo hard to get, especially for a team in the dumps. We gave up the #8 pick last year. A top three pick would really really help.

Anyway, I still think this team has the offense to compete. I always thought that the defense was the weakness, but this bad? There can be no getting around it now. We need a defensive overhaul, BUT w/ Murphy's mad offensive skills, and Faulk and Gleason and maybe a killer draft pick add 2 more guys, and remove a few KEY problem guys "cough" McBain. 

The point is that the path is clear. Total overhaul and rebuild of the back end. The forwards will be fine.

During one of the breaks in last nights game I was thinking about the top tier teams around the league. Except for a few blips, most have spent the last 20+ years in the playoffs. They consistently would be in the bottom for draft picks because of their success in the regular season and playoffs. Yet they remain in the top tier of teams and have a number of players who most would consider stars. Are their scouts that much better at finding brilliance in 2nd and 3rd round picks? Are their coaches better at evaluating the potential of the players they have and are willing to stand up to keep them? Are we one of the leagues " farm " teams that feed others ?  Has the team and fans focused on the hype and look for style rather than substance. Maybe we should look at those who have left and ask why they have succeeded elsewhere. Probably a top to bottom evaluation is needed. 

Edited by winger52

A HUGE part of the problem with our drafting and development is scouting, or the lack of it. The Canes employ fewer scouts than every other team in the NHL except maybe the Panthers. I think they have 2 total at the pro level...and 4 amateur, including our European scout lives in Raleigh. 

Edited by TheBigKahuna

Forwards are too finesse. Physicality is key here. The bottom 6 needs a complete overhaul as well.

And just think, on the defensive side, the best prospect is a tiny little guy.

One thing I cannot understand is why anyone in the "powers-at-be" in the Canes' organization has not studied the Red-Wings model of success.   Really don't know if it is scouting or wealth that enables them just to reload.   Just adding an expensive player is not the solution either (eg Jordon Staal)

So Dalpe gets send packing to Charlotte in exchange for...Nicolas Blanchard?!?!?!?!?

Shhhhh... JR is going for the #1 pick.

Maybe we see what Muse can do in net soon too   :>  

Guess they're taking a look at everyone now.  Dalpe needs a consistent chance.

Canes Recall Nicolas Blanchard from Charlotte
Forward expected to make NHL debut on Thursday; Zac Dalpe reassigned to Checkers
Wednesday, 04.10.2013 / 11:45 AM / News
By Ken Preston

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has recalled forward Nicolas Blanchard (NIHK-oh-las BLAN-shard) on an emergency basis from the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL). Rutherford also announced that forward Zac Dalpe has been reassigned to Charlotte.

Blanchard, 25, has scored four goals, earned five assists (9 points) and accumulated a team-leading 124 penalty minutes in 61 games with Charlotte this season. Currently in his sixth full professional season, the Granby, Que., native has scored 54 goals, earned 61 assists and totaled 703 penalty minutes in 403 career AHL regular-season games with Carolina’s affiliate in Albany and Charlotte. The Hurricanes drafted Blanchard (6’3”, 206 lbs.) in the sixth round, 192nd overall, in the 2005 NHL Draft. He serves as one of Charlotte’s alternate captains and is expected to make his NHL debut on Thursday at Washington.

and in other news:

Hurricanes Agree to Terms with Brendan Woods
2012 Draft pick recently completed sophomore season at Wisconsin
Wednesday, 04.10.2013 / 10:45 AM / News
By Terrell Williams

RALEIGH, NCRon Francis, Vice President of Hockey Operations for the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with forward Brendan Woods on a three-year, entry-level contract. At the NHL Level, Woods will receive $600,000 in 2013-14, $650,000 in 2014-15 and $700,000 in 2015-16. At the AHL level, he would be paid $65,000 in all three years. Woods receives a signing bonus of $225,000, and will immediately join the Hurricanes’ top minor-league affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL).

“Brendan is a big, physical forward who skates well,” said Francis. “He has a good knowledge of the game and did a good job in the face-off circle during his second year at Wisconsin.”

Woods, 20, completed his sophomore season at the University of Wisconsin in 2012-13, totaling five goals and seven assists (12 points) in 41 games played. The Humboldt, Sask., native completed his collegiate career with 10 goals, 12 assists (22 points) and 83 penalty minutes in 75 games played. Woods (6’3”, 215 lbs.) was selected by the Hurricanes in the fifth round, 129th overall, of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. Prior to beginning his collegiate career with the Badgers, he spent two seasons in the United States Hockey League (USHL) with Chicago and Muskegon, earning 36 points (20g, 16a) in 91 games. Brendan’s father, Bob, played professionally in the AHL, IHL and ECHL, and currently serves as an assistant coach with the Anaheim Ducks.

So Dalpe gets send packing to Charlotte in exchange for...Nicolas Blanchard?!?!?!?!?

It's like an NCAA tournament game when a team is down by 40 and the coach just wants everyone to get in to say they played.

I agree. This is not a youth league where everyone should get a chance. Dalpe should get a real chance. Unless Dalpe is being moved, why do this? Don't get it.

Guess they're taking a look at everyone now.  

Using the secret decoder ring that tell us one thing....   draft picks, improving odds for #1 and moving into top-3.

Shhhh....  Muse might be in goal soon to.   Shhhh!

Using the secret decoder ring that tell us one thing....   draft picks, improving odds for #1 and moving into top-3.

Shhhh....  Muse might be in goal soon to.   Shhhh!

Then move Skinner, Faulk, all the two-ways down...really send a message!

Its tryout time. We just saw what Dalpe could do and now we want to take a look at Blanchard. I don't see anything wrong (at this point in the season) to reward an AHL player a chance to skate in the big time. I expect he will be on 4th line.