The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I think it has more to do with getting Dalpe back in Charlotte for the Calder cup. Judging by Blanchard's PIM's I'm assuming he's got a bit of goon in him or just sucks at hockey.... wondering if Muller's looking to see if Blanchard's a better tough guy then Westgarth.

One thing I cannot understand is why anyone in the "powers-at-be" in the Canes' organization has not studied the Red-Wings model of success.   Really don't know if it is scouting or wealth that enables them just to reload.   Just adding an expensive player is not the solution either (eg Jordon Staal)

If it is that easy and cheap everyone would be doing it.

Edited by Ichigo-1

I think it has more to do with getting Dalpe back in Charlotte for the Calder cup. Judging by Blanchard's PIM's I'm assuming he's got a bit of goon in him or just sucks at hockey.... wondering if Muller's looking to see if Blanchard's a better tough guy then Westgarth.

The one pre-season game I saw in Raleigh back in 09, he ended up fighting someone:

9031_728940465397_2337996_n.jpg

Dalpe was an emergency callup and had to go down as soon as our players (Semin and Dwyer) were ready to play.  I expect that means we will have Dwyer back in the lineup tomorrow.  Dalpe did a great job and likely would have stayed up if it was permissible. 

Breaking News: Paul Maurice to return as Coach of the Hurricanes!

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/10/ex-leafs-canes-coach-maurice-to-leave-khl-metallurg/

Well, ok, let's just say this may be the necessary first step to his return as Coach. That's the way to re-energize the ol' fan base! ;-)

You guys know how I made that post that stated that we hit rock bottom? I changed my mind. Bringing Maurice back would be rock bottom.

Ya know?  At this point, I hope we completely tank every game from here on out and increase our chances at #1 pick...

There's no sense in rushing injured guys back when we have zero shot at the playoffs...give the Charlotte guys a few games to see if they might be worth a look next season.  Start contract negotiations with the guys we want to keep.  And just get ready for next season...

Wallace has been recalled. I guess we will test the theory that he was the difference maker. I did like the way Wallace played on his last stint in Raleigh. I do believe his game does bring some energy and grit to the team. A difference maker is a stretch but I'm happy he is back.

Ya know?  At this point, I hope we completely tank every game from here on out and increase our chances at #1 pick...

There's no sense in rushing injured guys back when we have zero shot at the playoffs...give the Charlotte guys a few games to see if they might be worth a look next season.  Start contract negotiations with the guys we want to keep.  And just get ready for next season...

I totally agree with this. This could be a great opportunity to see some guys from Charlotte that would not normally get a chance to play with the big club. There could be a few more surprises like Bellemore. I would like to see Samson get a call at some point before the end of the season. How is Jared Staal progressing at this point? It would be interesting to see an all Staal line for a shift or two.

Really no nice way to put it but it's what it is. When the Canes were brutally injured calling up Checkers mixed with the Checkers being injured Jared left the 4th line only for a few games to return to it before the injuries cleared up. Apparently most of our ECHL'ers are better then him. At least Daniels thinks so.

I see no point in me revisiting the go for the pick argument. But a bad April plus Seth Jones would end better than a good April and no Seth Jones. 

That said, Tripp and John keep saying Semin is playing hurt. Well he and anyone else playing though pain should take a break and let's get more look at Dalpe, Wallace etc. 

As to Mo's return. Those wanting to fire Muller better be careful what they wish for. 

As to Mo's return. Those wanting to fire Muller better be careful what they wish for. 

I am scared of Mo returning and becoming GM if/when JR is out. 

Sad thing is, given JR

a) deals out so much fa·vor·it·ism  

b ) plays it very conservative

c) runs it like his old boys club

d) recycles till its comical

it's not out of the question, no comedy intended here, to think JR could actually bring Mo back (especially if he can save a few bucks in the process).

I'd love to see JR stay on as a special advisor and let someone else outside the organization take over as GM.

New ideas, new blood -- "It's Time".

We all loved Corey,Rod, Ron, Glenn etc as players.

But come on - what are the odds all of them happen to have been the best coaches/VPs/player dev men available on the free market when we went to hire?

What a coincidence --- they all happened to play for JR and walk the party line!

Time to step out of the box!!!  

Handing Jordan the "A" was yet another case of favoritism in this organization.  

Clearly that can hurt motivation in any work environment!  Given the choice, as a newcomer, regardless how you make a living would you want to work for an organization with a history of unfair preferential treatment?

This holds the team back more than the fact Raleigh is a "small" market. 

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Sad thing is, given JR

a) deals out so much fa·vor·it·ism  

b ) plays it very conservative

c) runs it like his old boys club

d) recycles till its comical

it's not out of the question, no comedy intended here, to think JR could actually bring Mo back (especially if he can save a few bucks in the process).

I'd love to see JR stay on as a special advisor and let someone else outside the organization take over as GM.

New ideas, new blood -- "It's Time".

We all loved Corey,Rod, Ron, Glenn etc as players.

But come on - what are the odds all of them happen to have been the best coaches/VPs/player dev men available on the free market when we went to hire?

What a coincidence --- they all happened to play for JR and walk the party line!

Time to step out of the box!!!  

Handing Jordan the "A" was yet another case of favoritism in this organization.  

Clearly that can hurt motivation in any work environment!  Given the choice, as a newcomer, regardless how you make a living would you want to work for an organization with a history of unfair preferential treatment?

This holds the team back more than the fact Raleigh is a "small" market. 

Except Rod is a proven leader on the ice...and usually that translates into good things behind the bench (not to mention he's a workout machine).

Its always darkest before the dawn? We can only hope! During these dark times I remind myself that we played for the cup in '02, won the cup in '06, and were 1 series win away from playing for the cup in '09. Go Canes!

The 3 coaches behind the bench have to go. Our D-is horrible, PP- horrible,,Team-horrible,, Effort on the ice is a joke. Hardly ever hit anyone! Never win a battle along the boards to win the puck..This team pretty much has absolutely no positive aspect of hockey!!

The 3 coaches behind the bench have to go. Our D-is horrible, PP- horrible,,Team-horrible,, Effort on the ice is a joke. Hardly ever hit anyone! Never win a battle along the boards to win the puck..This team pretty much has absolutely no positive aspect of hockey!!

I've never gotten why Dave Lewis is our d-line coach.  He's been a square peg for us since day 1

Look at it this way.. the cup winner this year will have an asterisk by their name because of the shortened season. 

It depends on who wins it.  But I get your point... if it were Carolina then everyone around the league would use the shortened season as some kind of excuse.

The 94-95 Devils don't have an asterisk beside their name why would this years.

Some of the lists of winners I have seen have an asterisk for the shortened season

Eventhough the season is shorter, the playoffs are just as long as normal, and the winners still get thei names on the Cup. Astersk or not, the Cup winners will be Cup winners forever.

And in other news, Jussi scores two goals adds an assist with the Penguins...  We got fleeced.  Fleeced.  I love Tlusty, but Jokinen deserved that top line with Staal, or at least a full season on wing with J. Staal.  Using him as a piecemeal third line center or wing (after Nash came up) was disgusting.

Someone around here was defending Jussi. He looked really good when we played Pittsburgh. 

I agree he was mishandled here this year. I wonder if he didn't get a bit disgruntled affecting his play more. 

He is a potential 65 point guy and we got a wet dishtowel for him and felt good about it.