The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Someone around here was defending Jussi. He looked really good when we played Pittsburgh. 

I agree he was mishandled here this year. I wonder if he didn't get a bit disgruntled affecting his play more. 

He is a potential 65 point guy and we got a wet dishtowel for him and felt good about it.

Now now remkin, JR did get an extra bag of pucks from Ray Shero to go along with that 6th round pick!

Now now remkin, JR did get an extra bag of pucks from Ray Shero to go along with that 6th round pick!

CONDITIONAL 6th rounder, even that part isn't guaranteed.  That being said, I was behind the idea of getting rid of him.  I was also on board with getting rid of Larose, Ellis, Brent, Corvo, and any other UFA we have,

CONDITIONAL 6th rounder, even that part isn't guaranteed.  That being said, I was behind the idea of getting rid of him.  I was also on board with getting rid of Larose, Ellis, Brent, Corvo, and any other UFA we have,

The way he's playing, barring injury, it's ganna be a sixth rounder, what you are all forgetting is he also retained some of Jokinen's $3 million salary as well. I was all for letting him go, if he is still as good as he was a few years ago then I'd want him on a team where he can get the points. I have a feeling a lot of UFAs are going so JR can see our space, who we draft, and what the names in the Free Agency and trade rumor mill are and their cost.

Jokinen was pouting, and at odds with the coach. I'm not sure I can blame his "sudden turnaround" on anything but an attitude change that came with a change of scenery. The guy's ego is a fragile as an egg. 

Jokinen was pouting, and at odds with the coach. I'm not sure I can blame his "sudden turnaround" on anything but an attitude change that came with a change of scenery. The guy's ego is a fragile as an egg. 

Well---I am in the camp that says we put the Juice in the role of 3rd line center out of necessity. He is not Sutter

and shouldn't have been expected to play that way. But he didn't complain about it. There may have been some

friction between he and the coach--who knows?

I personally think it was a mistake to let him go----but Jussi now has a chance to make a run for the cup

which he wouldn't have gotten here. So I am happy for him . GO JUSSI !

A few thoughts and stats on our goalie controversy, in reality a offense controversy. The stats are somewhat rough and I did not breakout GAA on split games when one replaced the other. Just went with the first goalie listed, either win or lose.

When we win WG average vs other teams GA then when we lose our LG average vs winners AG.

WARD                                                      ELLIS                                                   PETERS

WG   vs   GA             LG   vs   AG               WG   vs   GA          LG   vs   AG               WG   vs   GA         LG    vs   AG

4.25    vs  2.12          1.62  vs  4.25              3.25   vs  1.25        1.6    vs  4.7                3.66  vs   1.33       1.71  vs   4.28

So on average when we score on average 3+  goals per game we win. When we lose we score 3 less goals per game that needed

I know that this is a DUH moment ! Looks like we need to focus on the players who shoot the puck on both sides of the line.

Dean Smith would have his players practicing free throws until they they hit a certain percentage, maybe Kirk should make them stay on the ice shooting at the net until..... 

Edited by winger52

Jussi was another typical Canes case of pounding a square peg in a round hole.  Now we don't know what was going on behind the scenes, but he has said several times that he was more comfortable on the wing.  Add that to the fact that he isn't a shut down center and you get your square peg.  He seemed to be a good foot soldier and do what he was asked to do, only to be cast aside like yesterday's paper.  Now, I won't go as far as to say that he deserved the spot Tlusty got, but he wasn't placed in a position to make the most of his abilities.

If there wasn't a spot for him that worked for both sides, then JR made the right move to ship him off.  Maybe he is a player that needs a change of scenery every few years.  Some people do better when they don't have that comfort level and are on edge a little.  I am thinking that the decision was made because they thought they could fill the spot with a cheaper option and get an equal level of productivity.  Maybe so, maybe not.  I guess JR is the guy with the answers and will be using that knowledge to make the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft.  There are other guys that he would have probably liked to have moved, but those darn NTC's.  Too bad Jussi didn't have one.

Of course Jussi is producing with the Pens, he's playing in a role that suits him. As far as him deserving first line time here, if Tlusty hadn't shown that he works extremely well with Semin and Eric then I have no doubt that Jussi would've been given an opportunity on that line, but Tlusty did and that make Jussi expendable. "But why not put him on the second line?" Because we desperately needed center depth (Jussi was amongst the top of the team faceoff percentage wise if I recall correctly,) and putting Jussi on the wing and the likes of Ruu or Skinner or Dwyer or whoever in the 3c role would've opened up a glaring weakness.

Jussi just didn't fit anymore, so we moved him and opened up space to bring in players who will and do fit. I'm happy he's found his touch again in Pittsburgh but there was no way he was going to produce like that here with the way this team is built at the moment, so I'm not sure why you're saying we got fleeced or that we should have kept him. He wasn't producing, had another year on his contract at 3 mil, getting a pick in return is exactly what we needed since moving him was purely for dumping salary, so I'm just not seeing it.

But still can talk like Maurice Chavalier...hoh hoh hohhhhhhh

Never heard Therrien speaking French though obviously with that name you gotta speak French.

Reminds me of Mo in Russia, still can't see Mo coaching a KHL team in Russia in English with a translator.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

With the comments coming out of Edmonton today once they fired their GM, this one caught my eye!

"I'm an impatient guy. We have to do some bold things to move this team forward in a rapid fashion," said MacTavish.

Does that sound like a situation we can take advantage of?  They are as desperate for defensemen as we are, perhaps EVEN more so.  Sounds like the perfect place to shop Pitkanen.  The talk is that they are ready to give up some of their youth for these d-men. 

They'd take Gleason. And frankly I'd be fine with seeing him go for the right price. If he's our big bad bruising defenseman, JR needs a stronger prescription in his glasses. Harrison is more fulfilling of that role. Gleason just give us the illusion of being able to move the puck. He usually gets the puck and puts a weak wrister from the point on net, or slaps it wide. If he passes it, it's usually to behind the net where half the time it gets turned over. And he hasn't been as physical as he used to be. Nowhere near it.

I think the end of the season is going to be interesting.  To me, it looks like some players are on "try outs."  According to Chuck, LaRose will be on second line tonight.  Sounds like a try out for a new contract.  Just guessing.

And Peters will probably play out the year.  "Here's the reigns kid, show me what you can do."

Good point, forgot about that tour of duty for Pitkanen.....

Why not? We keep bouncing Corvo back here. Joni is not the D-man we had hoped for and too much money.

Edited by winger52

David Tanabe came up last night on the chat board - for those of you who may not remember he was a young promising player for carolina who not only left the game of hockey for ever but to this day has issues because of a concussion... Hopefully the coaching staff will sit Jeff Skinner the remainder of the season-and hopefully that cheap hit last night doesn't sit him out of normal life... In the end hockey is just a game.

I still say if you really want to stop those hits it should work like this...if you hit a player in the head no matter if you intended to or not (because lets face it only the hitting player knows the intent) and that player leaves the ice....so do you-end of story. If your head shot puts a player out of the game with a concussion you don't play again till they do... Players need to show a little more respect for one another.

I still say if you really want to stop those hits it should work like this...if you hit a player in the head no matter if you intended to or not (because lets face it only the hitting player knows the intent) and that player leaves the ice....so do you-end of story. If your head shot puts a player out of the game with a concussion you don't play again till they do... Players need to show a little more respect for one another.

They were supposed to start enforcing it like that now.

But I see no progress in that direction.

For the Canes, there's no way they can rely on the league.  The only defense against this is to get bigger and tougher players.  Leave the little guys for some other team's experiment.  I've seen enough of it for the last 10 years here.