The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Skinner is being sent back to Raleigh for further examinations. At this point in the season I hope the Canes error on the side of caution. It has become apparent to me that Skinner is still wearing a target on his sweater. I for one was glad to see the team step up. I don't care who wins the fight only that the team steps up. We could have used this kind of responce a few weeks ago.

. I don't care who wins the fight only that the team steps up. We could have used this kind of responce a few weeks ago.

Shhh...don't tell that to some folks in my Rosey thread ;)

Muller said that Skinner did not go to the "quiet room". But last time Skinner got concussed, Rutherford also blatantly lied about it. He's dangerously close to either wearing a huge foam helmet, or hanging up the skates. 

Muller said that Skinner did not go to the "quiet room". But last time Skinner got concussed, Rutherford also blatantly lied about it. He's dangerously close to either wearing a huge foam helmet, or hanging up the skates. 

It's gonna be the latter...but JR won't announce it til 2026

Chip has been busy this afternoon

Chip Alexander @ice_chip 2h

Rutherford says Cowen hit on Skinner "is classed as a legal hit in our sport." He said he did not think Cowen intended to injure Skinner.

Canes don't plan to call up forward with Skinner out. Wallace to go back in lineup for Jets game.

Canes don't plan to call up forward with Skinner out. Wallace to go back in lineup for Jets game.

Rutherford says Pitkanen had surgery Tuesday in Charlotte for broken heel bone. Won't know for few months if totally successful.

Rutherford says Skinner was sent back to Raleigh as precaution. No update yet on whether Skinner is concussed.

I bow to JRs opinion on the "hit" but I'm not so sure.

Hope Joni is alright. Sounds like a long road to recovery

Fingers crossed Skinner won't have a concussion

Thanks to Chip for the updates

I bow to JRs opinion on the "hit" but I'm not so sure.

Hope Joni is alright. Sounds like a long road to recovery

Fingers crossed Skinner won't have a concussion

Thanks to Chip for the updates

I take this as hope from JR that he has to take this in consideration when drafting.

Remember, Murphy has also already had a monster concussion.

Edited by wxray1

Skinner is being sent back to Raleigh for further examinations. At this point in the season I hope the Canes error on the side of caution. It has become apparent to me that Skinner is still wearing a target on his sweater. I for one was glad to see the team step up. I don't care who wins the fight only that the team steps up. We could have used this kind of responce a few weeks ago.

I just want to throw some choice swear words out there. Just this once? (not directed at you OBX'er, but the frustration with these hits on Skinner and the concussions).

They did not send Skinner back to Raleigh for further examinations because he is fine. 

Skinner should absolutely not play another game this year. This year has one purpose left. Get a high draft pick. 

Cowen went head hunting. The way JR has handled lying about the concussions and not complaining about that hit, drops my fairly high respect for him a notch.

Edited by remkin

I just want to throw some choice swear words out there. Just this once? (not directed at you OBX'er, but the frustration with these hits on Skinner and the concussions).

They did not send Skinner back to Raleigh for further examinations because he is fine. 

Skinner should absolutely not play another game this year. This year has one purpose left. Get a high draft pick. 

Cowen went head hunting. The way JR has handled lying about the concussions and not complaining about that hit, drops my fairly high respect for him a notch.

I'm holding back a few choice words of my own. Anyone watching the Canes the last 2 years knows Skinner has been a target. I don't care if it was a legal hit it is still my opinion that the hit was intended to injure. Rutherford played the game at this level so I won't argue with him. I do reserve the right to hold my own opinion. From my point of view Skinner was a target and the hit accomplished  the intent. 

I will be surprised if Skinner returns this season but for now I'm hoping sending him back to Raleigh is precautionary. Concussions are a funny thing and symptoms can take days to show up.

Chip updated Joni in the update JR told  surgery went well. Its believed  he should be ready for training camp.

Wait I thought it was mandatory that after a hit like that-that involves the head a player had to go to the quiet room?

Chip has been busy this afternoon

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 2h

Rutherford says Cowen hit on Skinner "is classed as a legal hit in our sport." He said he did not think Cowen intended to injure Skinner.....

I'm sure the players appreciate JR weighing in with an opinion at odds with theirs. I see it the way the team reacted and don't understand how this helps. IMO he also has it wrong, so why not stfu?

In high sticking a player is responsible for their stick even if it is inadvertent. This is a guy's head and it was hardly inadvertent. Do they want to clean this stuff up? Doesn't seem like it.

I don't think the hit was "illegal". The initial point of contact was chest/shoulders. Skinner HAS to keep his head up, or his career will end before his current contract, guaranteed. But, having said that, the Canes are "warm butter" soft, and teams have been taking liberties with Skinner and others for several seasons now. It has to end, and if the league won't end it, then the Canes need 3 or 4 guys capable of clobbering people on a nightly basis. No one on the Canes roster is intimidating, or is wiling NOR able to throw the big knock out hit. And next season, the division gets a lot tougher! And if the Canes don't get tougher, they will struggle night after night. 

Thank you Kerry Fraser.

FRASER: LOOKING AT COWEN'S HIT ON SKINNER

The hit by Jared Cowen on Jeff Skinner is illegal hit on two fronts. First Cowen left his feet to make the hit and should result in a charging penalty.

Secondly, through this "elevation" by the 6'5" Cowen, the head of Jeff Skinner, generously listed at 5'11," became the principle point of contact.

This call had to be made on the ice and it was not; end of story.

It looks like Skinner could play against the Flyers. I hope so but only if they are convinced he isn't showing any symptoms.

Interesting article. JR should read it.

I liked:

It is no longer acceptable for any of us to justify hits of this type as being 'good hockey hits' when the head becomes the principle point of contact.

(JR REALLY should read that one).

I also liked this idea.

on more than one occasion I saw an "enforcer" take control of the situation in a very different way when smaller, skilled players on his team had become the target of some overly aggressive hits. The tough guy stood in front of the other teams bench and announced to that team enforcer, "I'm not going to come after you, I'm going after these guys, one at a time," as he pointed out the star players sitting on the bench. I saw a sense of peace restored to the game at that point.

I did not like the questioner and Frasier assuming Skinner had a concussion. He likely did, but has that been announced? An he better not have if they are talking about him playing vs. the Flyers.

Anyway, open ice head shots have to stop. 

Edited by remkin

I did not like the questioner and Frasier assuming Skinner had a concussion. He likely did, but has that been announced? An he better not have if they are talking about him playing vs. the Flyers.

It hasn't been announced and in fact the tweets I have seen say Skinner was mad at the doctors that they wouldn't let him come back into the game. I have also seen tweets that Skinner could play against Philly. That aside the issue is head shots that can cause concussion or in my language intended to injure. 

It hasn't been announced and in fact the tweets I have seen say Skinner was mad at the doctors that they wouldn't let him come back into the game. I have also seen tweets that Skinner could play against Philly. That aside the issue is head shots that can cause concussion or in my language intended to injure. 

Man do I hope you are right. Given his history it would make sense to give him at least a couple of days at this point just to be sure. 

I would make him juggle 4 balls while counting backwards from 100 and hopping on one foot before letting him back in. 

It's all about next year now and we need him back at his 30 goal self next year. I pay good money to see him and Semin and Drouin put on their show. Oh wait, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself.

I don't think the hit was "illegal". The initial point of contact was chest/shoulders. Skinner HAS to keep his head up, or his career will end before his current contract, guaranteed. But, having said that, the Canes are "warm butter" soft, and teams have been taking liberties with Skinner and others for several seasons now. It has to end, and if the league won't end it, then the Canes need 3 or 4 guys capable of clobbering people on a nightly basis. No one on the Canes roster is intimidating, or is wiling NOR able to throw the big knock out hit. And next season, the division gets a lot tougher! And if the Canes don't get tougher, they will struggle night after night. 

If the 'Canes don't get tougher I'll start pushing for JR to trade Skinner. Because honestly, I'd rather him land on a team where he won't get these cheap shots and concussions and his career will actually be a career not a future story on how concussions can end careers early.

I'm happy to see LaRose step up, but LaRose is like a gnat, and Cowen just swatted him away. LaRose had the right intentions, but those intentions sort of go out the window when you're just as small as Skinner. Gleason got manhandled.  Gleason isn't a tough guy, and he's lost a lot of his grit. Blanchard did his thing, and he's been much better than Westgarth in my opinion because he can actually skate and make smart passes and stick plays etc. Although lately Westgarth has been doing what we intended for him to do, at least partially, with getting into fights.

But yeah, we need someone like Ryan Clowe. He won't take away any production and he adds physicality, and he stands up for his teammates always.  Someone like him, because I imagine NY resigns him. We need defensemen who aren't afraid to do that either. And if at that point it still doesn't stop, fight fire with fire and get a few guys who aren't afraid of taking shots at other teams stars. Because one thing I've realize the past three seasons is everyone seems to get away with it, and we seem to not even attempt it. I don't like dirty hockey, but if the game becomes dirty due to your opponents, fight fire with fire? What else can we do? Watch more of our young promising skilled players get run over and miss months on end where they could be developing and producing because no ones afraid of throwing a dirty hit against this team?

Then again, we should develop a training program for our shorter players that helps them establish some sort of muscle memory in keeping your head up and dodging or avoiding hits that could knock you out.

That would be GREAT news!

But yeah, we need someone like Ryan Clowe. He won't take away any production and he adds physicality, and he stands up for his teammates always.  Someone like him, because I imagine NY resigns him. 

That would be great but I can't see how we can afford him and improve the much needed change in defense.

We need a guy who can protect our guys and be on the ice at the same time. Those are real diamonds in the rough, I mean Westgarth is great but going after him a period later doesn't seem to send the same chill down your spine as someone who is in your face at the very moment you do something stupid.

If Matt Cooke is on the ice, as big of a moron as that guy is... I gotta say I'm not targeting anyone's head at that time. I would say the same for Lucic.