The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

That would be great but I can't see how we can afford him and improve the much needed change in defense.

I said someone like him though. We need to find that player, not necessarily trade for or sign them (although that may be more likely). Maybe we already have him, in the system. Maybe we'll draft him this summer. I just think this postseason is going to have a lot of movement so that player could become available in the shuffle.

Just finished that Fraser article.  Glad to see there was someone who saw what I saw.

I was saying the same thing all the freaking time...here, on the ESPN boards, everywhere...but folks believe what they want to...

Glad someone with more officiating knowledge than I saw it too...too bad Shanny didn't!

If you appreciate Westgarth's standing up for Skinner (as A-capt Jordan Staal certainly did not)
here's another way to reach out to Westy and show your support...

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

spaceballs.jpg

I don't know about this shnarping stuff.  Is it safe?

1491-17920.jpg

Oh quite safe, sir.  Snotty shnarped me TWICE last night...it was wonderful!

LaRose was the first player to get to the guy. Some people just look for any excuse to bash J. Staal. Move on already.

You mean like how folks on here take any excuse to bash LaRose...Cam...etc?

You mean like how folks on here take any excuse to bash LaRose...Cam...etc?

You are right. I will remind everyone that when Cam went down----------we were leading the Southeast

Division !

Some people just look for an excuse to beech about something, anything.  And when nobody listens, they just bump an old post to get thier water boiling again.

It's cause we're all big bad morons when we sit behind a computer screen...hey everybody, look at me!  ;)

You are right. I will remind everyone that when Cam went down----------we were leading the Southeast

Division !

We all need to focus on one target...so how bout McBain?  Everyone on board?  Good!

Edited by AWACSooner

Just finished that Fraser article.  Glad to see there was someone who saw what I saw.

You aren't the only one that saw something.  When I saw that in real time, I saw the elbow come up.  The replay and the stills obviously show him leaving his feet.  I have read a lot of comments on line by "real" hockey fans blaming Skinner for keeping his head down and saying that he needs to know it's a "man's game".  The hits that cause injuries are almost always these borderline open ice hits or boarding.  I just don't see how it isn't in the best interest of the league, the union, and the players to address this.  They spend more time defending the hitter than the hittee.  Nobody wants to take the physicality out of the game, but there was no need for a hit of that magnitude just to separate Skinner from the puck.

I've cooled off this morning, stepped back, and tried to understand why I was so angry yesterday... After a win.

Of course, the fact this team only rarely wins at home is at the core of it.  And now they come alive when the draft pick is on the line.   But more than that, what we've witnessed is absolutely stunning.  They HAD it.  They were in first in the division.  Win 60% or so of the games from there, and they were in, especially if they would beat Tampa, Washington and Winnipeg.

Instead, we witnessed this absolutely stunning reversal in one month.  It hurts.

Some people just look for an excuse to beech about something, anything. And when nobody listens, they just bump an old post to get thier water boiling again.

Bump

I keed...I keed!

Edited by AWACSooner

Some food for thought...

Last night was Tlusty's 200th game with the Canes, he started out in the bottom 6, played 57 games in 2010-2011 scoring 6 goals and honing his defensives skills, last year was 79 games and 17 goals earning first line time with E. Staal and really showing his potential...this year obvious huge breakout year. 

Drayson Bowman is 24, played 37 games, honed his defensive skills this year on the 3rd line, scoring 3 goals and getting 3 assists. 

Zack Dalpe is 23 and has only played 41 NHL games but really showed something in his last call up with the team. 

There is a TON of potential for these 2 and I think they will definitely get a chance next year.  Time, experience and confidence playing at this level is what they need.  If Skinner keeps looking good at center I could see something like this for next year...

Semin J. Staal E. Staal

Ruutu Skinner Tlusty

Dalpe Nash Bowman

Dwyer Welsh Wallace/Westgarth/Balnchard

Some food for thought...

Last night was Tlusty's 200th game with the Canes, he started out in the bottom 6, played 57 games in 2010-2011 scoring 6 goals and honing his defensives skills, last year was 79 games and 17 goals earning first line time with E. Staal and really showing his potential...this year obvious huge breakout year. 

Drayson Bowman is 24, played 37 games, honed his defensive skills this year on the 3rd line, scoring 3 goals and getting 3 assists. 

Zack Dalpe is 23 and has only played 41 NHL games but really showed something in his last call up with the team. 

There is a TON of potential for these 2 and I think they will definitely get a chance next year.  Time, experience and confidence playing at this level is what they need.  If Skinner keeps looking good at center I could see something like this for next year...

Semin J. Staal E. Staal

Ruutu Skinner Tlusty

Dalpe Nash Bowman

Dwyer Welsh Wallace/Westgarth/Balnchard

Hmm  I have to tell you I don't think Bowman or Dalpe are worth keeping ..  I think we need some more physical players, but I'll be the 1st to tell you I'm wrong often.  You make a good case for them just needing more playing time to get better, but for me what I have seen Bowman seems to get thrown around alot and this team seems to need to get more physical.. maybe and hopefully that gets solved with some new Dmen but seems like we need some more physical Cole type Players .  What Do I know though..:)

Some food for thought...

There is a TON of potential for these 2 and I think they will definitely get a chance next year.  

If Bowman should stay or not is above my pay grade.  

But, I would say (caution), in all fairness, its a long shot thinking he's "young" and in turn will get so much better. It could happen, but the odds are against it ....

Here's what current younger players are doing (capable of)... think... Tavares, Kane, Stamkos, Drew Doughty, Huberdeau, Karlsson, Skinner, Nugent-Hopkins and so on.  

All rocking it and all, i believe, younger than Bow.

Upshot, playing the odds, the fact he's 24 works against him (not for him).  

Again, not trying to be against Bowman here - just more trying to show 24+ is not really all that "young" in the NHL any more when it comes to prospects and projecting upside potential.

I can't really think they'd spend that kind of dough on a third line center, but last night John and Mike were kicking the tires on the Skinner at center thing. IF they did that they would have to fill out his line and give him at least one playmaking type guy and maybe a physical guy since everyone wants us to get more physical all the time (as long as I've been around here).

The advantage would be three scoring lines that the other team could not match up against. Which is a huge advantage in the playoffs whatever they are.

Here's just one crazy thought on that. If we do end up getting a high end forward pick, that person might slide into the top 9 somewhere. If you put them on the third line w/ Skinner and say Dwyer, that line could score especially as the year wore on. Despite the promise other teams will always have to put their shutdown pair on our top line.

If they don't go that way, then they will likely try to find an edgy physical type guy for the third line. 

Of Dalpe, Nash, and Bowman, now our most NHL ready prospects, I must say I like Nash the most. But he is hardly a physical presence. 

The thing is, the top 6 probably is set w/ Skinner/J/Ruutu, but if the team wants to get more physical up front it will have to be either Wallace or a new guy (s). This is why I have trouble seeing where LaRose fits. Do you let Dwyer go? Put him on the 4th line? Non of our prospects are physical outside of Wallace who is so so and not very big. 

Muller wants a scoring 3rd line. He's always said that. Not having that was a good part of our problems this year. 

Thing is, if you want to be physical it can't just be your 4th line for 5 minutes. 

All of those guys are top 10 picks, you can look at guys like Cody Hodgson who was taken in the same draft and see that time in the league is helping him develop into a very good player, same with Del Zotto who was drafted 20th in '08.  Jordan Eberle was of course a steal at 22 that year and devistation on top of devistation we passed on Erik Karlsson to draft Bowman at 14 (Karlsson was 15th).  Some players come in with elite size and skill (Stamkos, Huberdeau, Tavares, etc.) and go right to the first line, others need time to get stronger and develop...I think Tlusty, Bowmand and Dalpe all fit that bill.  Time will tell but I am more inclined to see the upside rather than just throw in the towel on these guys. 

Scoring isn't the problem with this team. It's the lack of power forwards. I don't think Dalpe and Bowman are our answer. We need to get bigger and rougher up front. 2 bangers that can put up 30 points would be ideal.

Scoring isn't the problem with this team. 

I agree that scoring isn't THE problem. But that's because we have so many problems. 

Defense is THE problem: goals agains rank: #28. PK: #27.  

We continue (all years post cup) to have key defensive breakdowns leaving opponents with ultra juicy chances way more than most teams. Fix that and we would make the playoffs.

HOWEVER, while we did rank dead center average in goals/game we are ironically (used to be the opposite) devoid of secondary and especially tertiary scoring. This year we were a one and a half line team. No third line or 4th line scoring AT ALL. At the beginning of the year Muller talked on and on about the importance of a third line that can score. And although no one expects much, at least the occasional 4th line goal would be nice. Here are the goals from our third/forth tier guys:

Nash 4, Bowman 3 (in 37 games), LaRose 2 (cough), Wallace 1, Dalpe 1. 

They are the leaders.

Brent, Westgarth, Nodl, Blanchard, Welsh: ZERO. 

Our bottom 6 average ONE goal each over 46 games. 

So while I hear the call to get physical, someone below our top 6 has to score at least some.