The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

We've recalled Jared Staal.

I guess we didn't want to effect Charlotte's roster while needing to fill out the roster. However I wonder how many guys on Charlotte would trade the Calder Cup playoffs for their first NHL game and how they feel about it.

The Jared Staal recall seems a little odd but at this point in the season why not. With Nash and Wallace heading back to help the Chex and get playoff experience I suspect Staal was available. Maybe we get to see an all Staal line just for the novelty of it. What would be great is if Jared could pot one.

However I wonder how many guys on Charlotte would trade the Calder Cup playoffs for their first NHL game and how they feel about it.

Thinking the same exact thing!!  

Also thinking how do NASH and WALLACE feel about this - (does it feel more like a reward or punishment? Are they taking an income hit for this move for Jared and family).

The fact Jared has NEVER had a positive +/- full-year season in his OHL / AHL / ECHL career and ranks ~25th on the Checkers in points this year and is 3rd worst on +/- for the Checkers this season is no big deal right -- its good for team moral to show fa·vor·it·ism -- I think that's what they teach in MBA programs now, right?  OUCH!!!.

This kind of stuff is what reflects badly on JR...

Ragging on JR for a bad trade is one thing, but GMs need to be accountable for 
motivational factors... 

1) JR's re-hiring of MO? (his buddy)
2) JR giving Jordan the A on the jersey before he ever played a game with the Canes
3) his almost comical recycles
4) many ex-Cane players that walked the line being handed jobs

Point being, some bad draft picks and trades are one thing, but appearing to run it like an old boys club, being to conservative, hurting motivational levels along the way and showing fa·vor·it·ism can really hurt!!

Ok, I'm trying to be positive today... so let me leave this by saying go get em Jared!!  Best of luck in the game!! See ya Thursday. 

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

The Jared Staal recall seems a little odd but at this point in the season why not. With Nash and Wallace heading back to help the Chex and get playoff experience I suspect Staal was available. Maybe we get to see an all Staal line just for the novelty of it. What would be great is if Jared could pot one.

I think it's just a stunt, having three Staals playing on one team.  Jared hasn't done anything in the "minors" to warrant him being called up. :unsure:

Sheesh!  JR can't win with ya'll!

So it is a stunt.  Season's over, why not?  Mom and Dad get to have all the kids in one place for once.  (Don't forget Marc.)   Maybe they'll have dinner tonight.  This chance may never come again. 

Meanwhile, the team should have gotten weaker and this should make the "let's tank for a draft pick" crowd happy.

A real stunt would have been if JR signs a dwarf to a one day contract to see if he can skate through player's legs.  You think I'm being nuts?  Well, then you didn't know Bill Veeck who did something just like that in Major League Baseball when he signed a 3' 7" 65 lb player for one game with the jersey number 1/2.

Speaking of jerseys.  Will there be two J. Staal's out there?  Or a Jo. and Ja.?

So it is a stunt.  Season's over, why not?  

Because showing  fa·vor·it·ism hurts (to those working hard to make the NHL their career).

Major League Baseball when he signed a 3' 7" 65 lb player for one game with the jersey number 1/2.

Speaking of jerseys.  Will there be two J. Staal's out there?  Or a Jo. and Ja.?

Maybe they'll just give Jared the "1/2" number!!   Brilliant!!!

A real stunt would have been if JR signs a dwarf to a one day contract to see if he can skate through player's legs. 

That'd be EPIC AWESOME!!!  Put him against Chara in a faceoff!

Edited by AWACSooner

There's two games left for crying out loud. Whatever. Let him get a memory.

I'm in the we need to lose crowd. NOT the tank crowd.

Anyway, if we're going to do this, let's start all three Staals on the same line. Heck, let's play the whole game with all three Staals on one line.

The All's Staals Line.

Oh, and give Jared the other "A" while we're at it. Tim won't mind.  :sarcasm:

Edited by remkin

Sheesh!  JR can't win with ya'll!

So it is a stunt.  Season's over, why not?  Mom and Dad get to have all the kids in one place for once.  (Don't forget Marc.)   Maybe they'll have dinner tonight.  This chance may never come again. 

Meanwhile, the team should have gotten weaker and this should make the "let's tank for a draft pick" crowd happy.

A real stunt would have been if JR signs a dwarf to a one day contract to see if he can skate through player's legs.  You think I'm being nuts?  Well, then you didn't know Bill Veeck who did something just like that in Major League Baseball when he signed a 3' 7" 65 lb player for one game with the jersey number 1/2.

Both will have J. Staal according to the team.

Let's be honest here, we all know this is not because Jared has shown he deserves a chance in the NHL. Seems like JR is using the Staal family on one team to maybe entice Marc, or it's just a coincidence that he gets called up against the Rags. Marc isn't playing, so he gets to sit and watch his 3 brothers play on the same NHL team. Jared gets to see what it's like being in the NHL for a couple games like his brothers. 

This move could motivate Marc to want to come to the Canes (even more so if he gets a cup with the Rags this summer, there would be less reason to want to stay in NY). This could also motivate Jared to get his game going. 

2 games left, lets go draft pick!!

All of those guys are top 10 picks, you can look at guys like Cody Hodgson who was taken in the same draft and see that time in the league is helping him develop into a very good player, same with Del Zotto who was drafted 20th in '08.  Jordan Eberle was of course a steal at 22 that year and devistation on top of devistation we passed on Erik Karlsson to draft Bowman at 14 (Karlsson was 15th).  Some players come in with elite size and skill (Stamkos, Huberdeau, Tavares, etc.) and go right to the first line, others need time to get stronger and develop...I think Tlusty, Bowmand and Dalpe all fit that bill.  Time will tell but I am more inclined to see the upside rather than just throw in the towel on these guys. 

Just a note, Bowman was a third rounders, 72nd overall. Karlsson was 15th overall first round. So.... What? Boychuk? Boy-does that hurt :[

Thinking the same exact thing!!  

Also thinking how do NASH and WALLACE feel about this - (does it feel more like a reward or punishment? Are they taking an income hit for this move for Jared and family).

The fact Jared has NEVER had a positive +/- full-year season in his OHL / AHL / ECHL career and ranks ~25th on the Checkers in points this year and is 3rd worst on +/- for the Checkers this season is no big deal right -- its good for team moral to show fa·vor·it·ism -- I think that's what they teach in MBA programs now, right?  OUCH!!!.

This kind of stuff is what reflects badly on JR...

Ragging on JR for a bad trade is one thing, but GMs need to be accountable for 
motivational factors... 

1) JR's re-hiring of MO? (his buddy)
2) JR giving Jordan the A on the jersey before he ever played a game with the Canes
3) his almost comical recycles
4) many ex-Cane players that walked the line being handed jobs

Point being, some bad draft picks and trades are one thing, but appearing to run it like an old boys club, being to conservative, hurting motivational levels along the way and showing fa·vor·it·ism can really hurt!!

Ok, I'm trying to be positive today... so let me leave this by saying go get em Jared!!  Best of luck in the game!! See ya Thursday. 

We know JR has shown favoritism in his team. But you know what? It's his team to manage. If you guys just checked Jared's contract status you'd see his ELC runs out this year. So this is the organizations last chance to throw him out there in the NHL before having to commit to him again with another contract. And yes, it's a chance not many brothers get. AND WHY DO WE EVEN CARE SO MUCH? Really? Like we're playing basically to finish the season and make off-season plans, so why does it matter so much that we give a young guy who's had trouble developing a night or two to skate along with his two older brothers and get a chance to turn things around? And about the roster moves with Wallace and Nash, I'm pretty sure they'd want to actually play for something, rather than playing the last two games of a Titanic-sized disaster of a season.

I think we over analyze way to much lately.  :twilight-zone:

EDIT: Also, JR has done so many good things for this organization. We won a cup within ten years of relocation. That's pretty damn good. And while we don't tend to make the playoffs consistently or very often, when we do we've tended to make a run out of it, no early round exits. JR has made mistakes, and will continue to do so. Just like any other GM in the NHL. Really guys? We're going to use something that we can actually get somewhat excited about at this point in the season and we're using it as cannon fodder to fire at JR?

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Speaking of Jordan Staal...

I read an interesting article yesterday, it was basically a transcript from a call/interview with an anonymous player. One of the questions asked was about who wears the letters (C & A). To sum it up the player said that it doesn't matter who wears a letter on their jersey, the guys in the locker room know who the leaders are and that certain guys gravitate towards certain guys. He also said that you don't have to be a leader to lead.  He said that if a player has a letter that he doesn't deserve, it just shows a disconnect between coaches/management and the locker room in how a player is perceived (not saying this is the case with JR or not since it was handed to Jordan before he hit the ice). Still, even in this case he said that it really doesn't matter. Certain guys will be leaders, and the players know who they are.

Also, he talked about realignment. He liked it for the most part but was upset about the 8 teams per division in the Eastern Conference and how it impacted the chances of teams in the East making the playoffs. He talked about how important the playoffs are for players, and that some players can build their reputation and secure their future just by having a good playoffs. He said that you don't have to look at the divisions very long to realize that it just got harder for certain teams to make the playoffs, and I can't help but think he was talking about us (probably along with Columbus). This concerns me because he is an NHL player, and if he has this view of the playoffs (and our chances of getting there) then so do others. When it comes to attracting free agents, this may come into play and work against us. But honestly, it probably has always been this way for us anyway so...

Edited by Kyrule

Is Mark playing yet? If so, a nice gesture to have all the Staals playing in the same game. Speaking of Joradn: who would have thought Jordan would have only two more goals than Dwyer?

To put the Jared Staal call up in perspective:,

All of Terry, Sutter, Boychuk, Dalpe, Nash, Gragnani, Welsh, Faulk, Bowman, Nodl, Wallace, Sanguinetti, Jordan, Bellemore, Blanchard, Muse and  Murphy have been recalled this season.

The only forward I don't recall seeing who has been in the organization longer that Jared Staal is Samson, who is injured (concussion) and can't be recalled, although he may be close to coming back.  Shugg and Pither were also hurt and out for so long they wouldn't have been called up anyway.

Yes, it's likely a PR move, but it's not such a dastardly deed as some would make this out to be.  And besides, it's not like Jared Staal is going to move somebody out of a spot on the big club long term.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Sending Nash and Wallace to the Chex in time for the weekend Calder Cup playoffs was important for the Chex. Nash gets playoff experience, Wallace brings AHL playoff experience. The Chex need a good playoff showing to continue to build their own success. It was the right move.

Having 3 Staals in the game is cool. It adds another dimension of fun and interest in an otherwise meaningless game.

As pointed out previously Jared Staal's contract is up. We might want to take a look. The other forwards as pointed out previously have had a look and you aren't going to rob the Chex by bringing up Sutter or Dalpe in light of just sending Nash and Wallace back to help give the Chex a better playoff chance.

Good for Jared. I hope he makes the most of his chance and at the very least earns a good memory.

Having 3 Staals in the game is cool. It adds another dimension of fun and interest in an otherwise meaningless game.

I know Greg is mad and is mentioning the whole favoritism thing, but I don't see a lot of other pushback from others on this.  So, OBX, I agree, I think it is cool.  And Sucka... Not everyone has their back up on this.

The season is done.  Good for the Staals, the "favorite" sons of JR.  :)  And I think the fans will get a kick too.  It is just a game or two.  Every other prospect worth a while has had their shot.

JR has made mistakes and brilliant moves.  The job is very difficult.  Easy for us to do it for him when we don't actually sign contracts and keep a budget.  I see this as JR having some fun for once.   Suprised the guy hasn't had a heart attack by now.  I wouldn't be able to take that job no matter the financial rewards.  I'd have daily nightmares of concussions, skates cutting tendons, broken necks, jerk GMs breaking their promise to me, etc....

Is Mark playing yet? If so, a nice gesture to have all the Staals playing in the same game. Speaking of Joradn: who would have thought Jordan would have only two more goals than Dwyer?

He is not playing.  It sounds like he made the trip though.

Last we heard, he is slowly progressing, but the injury is very serious, still affecting elements of his sight.  For his sake, I hope he recovers.  From the sounds of it, that is not assured, but still possible.

He plans to play even if his vision doesn't return back to 100%.

Edited by wxray1

It's a PR move, it's a favor to Eric and Jordan and who gives a flying duck.

All I was saying is if you were a player in Charlotte would you rather player in the Calder Cup playoffs or two NHL games.

I guess I would rather play in the Calder Cup myself if I had NHL aspirations and felt like next seasons another day.

Good lord, you'd think JR signed Dahmer, Hitler, Mousolini, Amin, Hussein, or that Mini Me guy in N. Korea to play wing tomorrow.  As coastal pointed out, pretty much everybody had a call up except for JStaal2.  Checkers needed some skill for the playoffs and JR had a uniform to fill.  The game is meaningless as far as the standings go and for 4th line minutes, what is the big deal?  It will make a nice story and get some press.  I don't think anybody sees it for any more than it is.

Henry and Linda will get a feel good evening with all their boys, Eric, Jorday, Marc, Jared, and Tripp.

I'm serious about putting them all out there on one line at least to start the game. 

That's something Muller might do. 

In the end I guess he'll have to drop Jared back to the 4th line, but just for a little while All Staals.

If we ever get into a 5 on 3 against, we could literally put all Staals out there.

Edited by remkin

Good lord, you'd think JR signed Dahmer, Hitler, Mousolini, Amin, Hussein, or that Mini Me guy in N. Korea to play wing tomorrow.

I'd show up to see that team play...or maybe I'm having visions of "Slap Shot" in my head.