The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Good lord, you'd think JR signed Dahmer, Hitler, Mousolini, Amin, Hussein, or that Mini Me guy in N. Korea to play wing tomorrow.  .....

Touché and funny as hell too.

Ok, I'm calming down about Jared thanks to all the great points here.  I still feel its not the type of move "management" should make for reasons stated earlier.  But I get it...as fans, lets have some fun with it.  Sorry if I got anyone's pressure up.  Go Jared!!

I agree that scoring isn't THE problem. But that's because we have so many problems. 

Defense is THE problem: goals agains rank: #28. PK: #27.  

We continue (all years post cup) to have key defensive breakdowns leaving opponents with ultra juicy chances way more than most teams. Fix that and we would make the playoffs.

HOWEVER, while we did rank dead center average in goals/game we are ironically (used to be the opposite) devoid of secondary and especially tertiary scoring. This year we were a one and a half line team. No third line or 4th line scoring AT ALL. At the beginning of the year Muller talked on and on about the importance of a third line that can score. And although no one expects much, at least the occasional 4th line goal would be nice. Here are the goals from our third/forth tier guys:

Nash 4, Bowman 3 (in 37 games), LaRose 2 (cough), Wallace 1, Dalpe 1. 

They are the leaders.

Brent, Westgarth, Nodl, Blanchard, Welsh: ZERO. 

Our bottom 6 average ONE goal each over 46 games. 

So while I hear the call to get physical, someone below our top 6 has to score at least some. 

You have a solid point.  However, I truly feel that scoring would come from some of those guys if we had 2 forwards that were physical and able to establish a solid fore check.  I'm not talking about elite power forwards here.  I'm talking about your 30 point/season veterans that can hit and punish opponents in the boards while being able to keep up with play.

I know they're out there.  Raffi Torres, Bates Battaglia, Mike Grier, those are prime examples of past and present with regards to what we need in a player on our bottom 2 lines.  If we can get those kind of guys then we will win some games.  Let's face it, with these divisional changes, we HAVE TO GET BIGGER AND MORE PHYSICAL.  Boychuck, Terry, LaRose, Brent, Bowman..  They all gotta go.

I wonder with Wallace getting U-turned if one of our forwards is hurt. I haven't heard anything. I know Semin didn't skate at practice today but that isn't that unusual at this time of year. Or maybe we won't dress 7 D-men again. I'm just curious.

You have a solid point.  However, I truly feel that scoring would come from some of those guys if we had 2 forwards that were physical and able to establish a solid fore check.  I'm not talking about elite power forwards here.  I'm talking about your 30 point/season veterans that can hit and punish opponents in the boards while being able to keep up with play.

I know they're out there.  Raffi Torres, Bates Battaglia, Mike Grier, those are prime examples of past and present with regards to what we need in a player on our bottom 2 lines.  If we can get those kind of guys then we will win some games.  Let's face it, with these divisional changes, we HAVE TO GET BIGGER AND MORE PHYSICAL.  Boychuck, Terry, LaRose, Brent, Bowman..  They all gotta go.

Forslund was talking about getting that kind of guy (lord help us, Matt Cooke, not that he's getting any younger). As long as there is some production it would seem reasonable. 

I just know that a third line that can score causes all kinds of match up problems for all but the deepest defensive teams.

Yeah, JR is banking on all those Rangers fans making their decision to buy tickets to the game and filling up the PNC after they learn Jared Staal is being recalled. :thumbsup:

Edited by coastal_caniac

I just looked at the available tickets. There aren't all that many left and most available are upstairs behind the goal. It didn't say how many had been purchased by Rags fans :unsure:

took z quick look at the tickets available on Subhub.  There is about 1100 all  over the arena.   Got my Center Ice premier seat in 119 row J last night for $35

If anyone buys a ticket with the sole intent of seeing Jared Staal may the hockey gods help them.

the cynic in me says this is just a ruse to sell tickets for a meaningless game

If anyone buys a ticket with the sole intent of seeing Jared Staal may the hockey gods help them.

you mean to tell me there will be no Jordon Staal jersies for sale at the Eye?

This will most likely be the only time all 3 brothers get to hit the ice together for an nhl game. Nice moment for them and their family.

If this was an important game, we would all be having nightmares. As previous people have posted: This game is meaningless, so let the brothers have their fun....especially Eric who I think worked his butt off trying to win games for this hockey club this season.

Colliefan, I hope you somehow survive your epic trek to the PNC and can somehow overcome all the organization has tried to do to you  or is planning to do to you when you get there.

Colliefan, I hope you somehow survive your epic trek to the PNC and can somehow overcome all the organization has tried to do to you  or is planning to do to you when you get there.

the organization has done nothing for me nor do I expect them to do so.  with the product they have put on the ice this year and the price increases they have asked for next year with no indication of an improved product they have priced me out of the market for season tickets.

Should I go to a game next year it will be only if I can find a seat in the lower bowl on Stubhub for $40 or less and the Caniac Coach is taking fans to the game. Don't need to pay primo prices for an under performing team and over priced concessions.

This will most likely be the only time all 3 brothers get to hit the ice together for an nhl game. Nice moment for them and their family.

If this was an important game, we would all be having nightmares. As previous people have posted: This game is meaningless, so let the brothers have their fun....especially Eric who I think worked his butt off trying to win games for this hockey club this season.

Exactly my thought. It's a feel good move in a season that has ended  up with way too little good feelings. Jared is at the end of his contract, and the Hurricanes may never be in the situation where they can make this happen again. I hope the family has a great time with it. And if it adds a little incentive to the whole team to make it an especially good memory, then all the better.

After hearing/seeing Eric's dissapoinmment at the end of recent years, having something a little bit positive to end the season may not be a bad thing. And especially after this year, somethng a little bit fun for the fans isn't a bad thing, either.

And you neven know - playing in the big league with two of his brothers may be just the inspiration Jared needs.

Forslund was talking about getting that kind of guy (lord help us, Matt Cooke, not that he's getting any younger). As long as there is some production it would seem reasonable. 

I just know that a third line that can score causes all kinds of match up problems for all but the deepest defensive teams.

The day Matt Cooke is a Cane is the day I start burning all my Canes gear...THAT is how much I hate him!

Edited by AWACSooner

The day Matt Cooke is a Cane is the day I start burning all my Canes gear...THAT is how much I hate him!

That is exactly how I feel. I would rather see a guy like Shawn Thornton. He is a very honest, hard hitting tough guy that can play. Mabye Blanchard can be a poor mans Thornton. However, if Cooke ever is a Cane, I'm done.

I wonder with Wallace getting U-turned if one of our forwards is hurt. I haven't heard anything. I know Semin didn't skate at practice today but that isn't that unusual at this time of year. Or maybe we won't dress 7 D-men again. I'm just curious.

Chuck said on the radio this morning that he suspects Semin won't play due to a UBI.  Nothing official, but pretty darn close.

Like I said, good luck with all that.

:coollaugh:

Semin shouldn't have been playing the last 5 games. But if that's not the final nail in the "he's lazy" coffin for the Caps fans gripes I dunno what is.

Just a note, Bowman was a third rounders, 72nd overall. Karlsson was 15th overall first round. So.... What? Boychuk? Boy-does that hurt :[

We know JR has shown favoritism in his team. But you know what? It's his team to manage. If you guys just checked Jared's contract status you'd see his ELC runs out this year. So this is the organizations last chance to throw him out there in the NHL before having to commit to him again with another contract. And yes, it's a chance not many brothers get. AND WHY DO WE EVEN CARE SO MUCH? Really? Like we're playing basically to finish the season and make off-season plans, so why does it matter so much that we give a young guy who's had trouble developing a night or two to skate along with his two older brothers and get a chance to turn things around? And about the roster moves with Wallace and Nash, I'm pretty sure they'd want to actually play for something, rather than playing the last two games of a Titanic-sized disaster of a season.

I think we over analyze way to much lately.  :twilight-zone:

EDIT: Also, JR has done so many good things for this organization. We won a cup within ten years of relocation. That's pretty damn good. And while we don't tend to make the playoffs consistently or very often, when we do we've tended to make a run out of it, no early round exits. JR has made mistakes, and will continue to do so. Just like any other GM in the NHL. Really guys? We're going to use something that we can actually get somewhat excited about at this point in the season and we're using it as cannon fodder to fire at JR?

Yeah, my bad...we drafted Bowman at 72 and Bouchuk at 14, passing on Karlsson and Eberle (UGH!!!).  But speaking of another mid-first rounder who is finding his groove after some time and development, Mr. Riley Nash was drafted 14th overall in 2007.  He needs to put on lbs for next year but I think he will be playing with this team for many years to come. 

Semin shouldn't have been playing the last 5 games. But if that's not the final nail in the "he's lazy" coffin for the Caps fans gripes I dunno what is.

This is the same fanbase that thinks Ovi walks on water and isn't a prima donna.

He's leading the league in goals and took his team from dead last to leading the SE. So I would have to say they might have reason to believe he's not a prima donna.