The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

John and Tripp have been hinting that Semin has been playing through injuries for a while now. 

I have not seen any dramatic drop off in his play or laziness despite getting a long term deal and despite us being terrible and out of contention. He makes everyone around him better. He is elite. He has unleashed E. We have a feared first line for the first time in a long time. And I'd pay to see him play. 

This team is two defensemen, and one or two third line forwards away from being very good. Semin and J. are the reason that we don't need to go out and find top 6 forwards this offseason. 

John and Tripp have been hinting that Semin has been playing through injuries for a while now. 

I have not seen any dramatic drop off in his play or laziness despite getting a long term deal and despite us being terrible and out of contention. He makes everyone around him better. He is elite. He has unleashed E. We have a feared first line for the first time in a long time. And I'd pay to see him play. 

This team is two defensemen, and one or two third line forwards away from being very good. Semin and J. are the reason that we don't need to go out and find top 6 forwards this offseason. 

Chuck mentions UBI.  Last game, he set off a friggin' BLISTERING slap shot from the center blue line.  Anyone else catch that?  Holy smokes, that thing was smokin'.  If it is his shoulder and he's playing through that (or wrist, or arm) I'm amazed.  It should be inspiring his teammates.

He's leading the league in goals and took his team from dead last to leading the SE. So I would have to say they might have reason to believe he's not a prima donna.

Wait til playoff season hits...

Hope Riley Nash makes the team next yr, he played gritty, and with some added weight, hes going to be a 3 liner WE need, and i like Blanchard too..  kinna sad to see it winding down, the coulda, woulda, shoulda, at 15-9-1 then the injuries

Hope Riley Nash makes the team next yr, he played gritty, and with some added weight, hes going to be a 3 liner WE need, and i like Blanchard too..  kinna sad to see it winding down, the coulda, woulda, shoulda, at 15-9-1 then the injuries

I think Nash is a lock to center the 3rd line and someone said that Welsh is on a 1 way next year so that's the 4th line...Really liking Skinner at center as well which would allow for Eric to move to RW and Jordan to the top line.  I also thought Jared accorded himself very well last night...needs to get faster but he was strong in the corner, got to the net and played a pretty solid game.  The big question is can he do that consistently...maybe the taste will motivate him in the offseason. 

Edited by Law-Dawg

We certainly need to be open to all ideas. But we finally have one of the best first lines in hockey, why break that up?

But it is intriguing in some respects. Can't be a one line team. Who do you move down?

Semin-Staal-Staal

Ruutu-Skinner-Tlusty ?

The thing about Tlusty is that he is a sniper. He is a two way guy who plays complementarily into what E. and Semin are doing with the puck and then gets open an buries the pass into the top corner of the net. He is not really a playmaker, nor is Ruutu. Skinner would have to be the playmaker on that line. 

We need secondary scoring and tertiary scoring along with a stronger defense, so gotta consider all ideas.

Semin-Staal-Staal

Ruutu-Skinner-Tlusty ?

The thing about Tlusty is that he is a sniper. He is a two way guy who plays complementarily into what E. and Semin are doing with the puck and then gets open an buries the pass into the top corner of the net. He is not really a playmaker, nor is Ruutu. Skinner would have to be the playmaker on that line. 

I think that's right and Skinner has been making plays...his assist to Tlusty on the PP was an absolute beauty and man would that be a really good top 6...then you consider the draft and odds are that we lose out on the SethJonesStakes...Ryan Murphy was a big step out of the box for JR and company, they don't like to draft D-Men early and Nurse and others are definite deveopment guys...if      Valeri Nichushkin is there for us to slide into a wing position on the 3rd line, that would be pretty ideal; he's big, he battles and he'll replace Ruutu when that contract is up.  The cool thing about that is that you'd have 2 guys on each of the 1st 3 lines who could handle faceoffs. 

The one really good thing we have going is Tlusty-E-Semin. Breaking them up just creates more problems to try and fix another problem. Fix the J line and fix the third line. Don't break the E line.

I really liked the Dwyer-Nash-Ruutu third line we dressed for one game. But moving Ruu off the second line would make the need to pick up another power forward for J.

I don't buy Skinner as a third line center fix for a minute. (but it appears JR might)

Rutherford assesses Canes season, priorities - (Chip Alexander )

CanesNow

An interesting read. This explains some of Gleason's play this season.

Well I guess it's good to hear him actually say we "obviously" need to fix the defense to become harder to play against. I guess we'll see if he can do it. 

Clearly backing Muller. 

Gleason playing injured does not help an already weak, then injured defense. 

Ruutu still needs the other hip fixed? Wow. 

Still think we can get our forwards figured out. Have to fix the D.

Rutherford assesses Canes season, priorities - (Chip Alexander )

CanesNow

An interesting read. This explains some of Gleason's play this season.

Good read.  Highlights for the click impaired:

- Gleason had broken foot for a month

- Tlusty had dislocated finger

- Ruutu gets another surgery soon.  Other hip.  Should be ready for next season.

- JR's #1 priority: restructure defense

- Home attendance record.  Pleased with next season renewal rates.  Wants to talk to colliefan about parking fees.

Trade Skinner for an Elite physical Defensemen.

You have any ideas on who would want to give up their elite physical defenseman for a twice concussed small forward?

Well the past two seasons before this year there were about 30 guys who scored 30 goals. Skinner did it a 18.

I get the concussion thing, but other than that, I'm sure a lot of teams would toss us a stay at home dman for Skinner.

I wouldn't do it though.

Well the past two seasons before this year there were about 30 guys who scored 30 goals. Skinner did it a 18.

I get the concussion thing, but other than that, I'm sure a lot of teams would toss us a stay at home dman for Skinner.

I wouldn't do it though.

I've criticized him in the recent past.  But he's looked better the last few games (wing or center). 

I want to see him another year with hopefully no concusion and some maturity.  I think the argument earlier about a rare talent is correct.  These don't come around very often.

That said, I hope he drinks his protein/carb/everthing shakes this summer and works like a mad man.  Build some muscle.

I've criticized him in the recent past.  But he's looked better the last few games (wing or center). 

I want to see him another year with hopefully no concusion and some maturity.  I think the argument earlier about a rare talent is correct.  These don't come around very often.

That said, I hope he drinks his protein/carb/everthing shakes this summer and works like a mad man.  Build some muscle.

While a healthy Skinner is good, he needs to severely adjust his game (which he seems to have been doing so the last 10 or so games,) if he wants to click on the 2nd line. For most of the season he's played selfishly, and while that's fine when he puts up goals as a result of said selfishness it got to the point where it seemed like he thought he was the only one on his line who could score, and that has quite a negative impact on team dynamics. If I were him, I'd go over game after game and just make it clear when it's acceptable to be selfish and when it isn't.

JR makes a good point about Skinner at 3C: he definitely does have more ice to work with. The negative however is that him playing center in turn means more defensive responsibility, and Skinner is absolutely horrid defensively, something that will have to be worked on by him this offseason and carried into training camp.

Also, JR saying that this years draft is like the '03 draft has me hyped. First round picks from that year include Fluery, Eric, Horton, Vanek, Suter, Coburn, Phaneuf, Carter, Brown, Seabrook, Parise, Fehr, Getzlaf, Richards, Boyle, Perry and Eaves, which is just ridiculously stacked. i won't be happy with anything less then Seth Jones though.  :thumbsup:

i won't be happy with anything less then Seth Jones though.  :thumbsup:

Well, at least we find out Monday, so we playoff-less fan bases have something to discuss for a while. :)

Skinner has Lindros symptoms. He needs to stop looking at the puck while skating. If not, his future Christmas presents will be coloring books and crayons he can use in quiet rooms.

According to Chip: and me

Harrison has concussion. Concussions are like the flu with us.

Corvo and Brent will play despite not skating. A little rust can help with...

Westgarth on the second line.  Who says tanking is beneath us.

Skinner stays at center.  Hmmmmm.

Edited by remkin

Westgarth on the second line.  Who says tanking is beneath us.

Ha ha, that should be fun.  This reminds me of what we used to do in baseball and softball.  If the playoff positions were set the last games, we'd have some fun and switch positions.  It was the only time I would get to play outfield, and it was always a horrorshow.

Ha ha, that should be fun.  This reminds me of what we used to do in baseball and softball.  If the playoff positions were set the last games, we'd have some fun and switch positions.  It was the only time I would get to play outfield, and it was always a horrorshow.

If this is true I'd like to see Marc Andre in goal after Thursday nights highlight reel saves even Ellis thinks he could do it-maybe Jamie needs to switch to forward say a winger...as much as he likes to pinch... Let Rosie play the enforcer role... And I actually like Westy on the line with Jordan and baby Staal

Now this is an interesting game day topic... Who would you like to see play where in tonight's game and why? LOL

If this is true I'd like to see Marc Andre in goal after Thursday nights highlight reel saves even Ellis thinks he could do it-maybe Jamie needs to switch to forward say a winger...as much as he likes to pinch... Let Rosie play the enforcer role... And I actually like Westy on the line with Jordan and baby Staal

Now this is an interesting game day topic... Who would you like to see play where in tonight's game and why? LOL

I would like to see Tlusty in goal, backed up by E. Staal. Our first line should be centered by Peters with Ellis and Gleason on the wings. Our first line should play the entire game. That is what I would like to see...