The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I dont' know Westgarth, but he is 6'4" 230. If he is a bruiser, we have one of our 4th liners and I like that.

Man things are happening!

Edited by remkin

The trade makes sense. You were really opening up a spot and dumping some salary. In a short season Ellis has the experience and hopefully the temperament to play limited minutes and help win games. Peters is in the wings just in case and gets to work on his skill in the AHL. It allows us to bring Muse up to Charlotte.

Alt for Pither. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Pither goes to Charlotte to help restock.

What I'm wondering is if any of the call-ups might be on the chopping block.

I found Alt intriguing, but just that. I watched a few minutes in some of the games he was on TV.

His story is interesting and intriguing (son of NFL player), but just not sure where it is going to go from there. I guess we shall find out in a few years.

The trade makes sense. You were really opening up a spot and dumping some salary. In a short season Ellis has the experience and hopefully the temperament to play limited minutes and help win games. Peters is in the wings just in case and gets to work on his skill in the AHL. It allows us to bring Muse up to Charlotte.

Alt for Pither. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Pither goes to Charlotte to help restock.

What I'm wondering is if any of the call-ups might be on the chopping block.

I found Alt intriguing, but just that. I watched a few minutes in some of the games he was on TV.

His story is interesting and intriguing (son of NFL player), but just not sure where it is going to go from there. I guess we shall find out in a few years.

I dont' know Westgarth, but he is 6'4" 230. If he is a bruiser, we have one of our 4th liners and I like that.

Man things are happening!

Westgarth was one of the more prominent players during the CBA negotiations.

I heard him a few times on XM. He came across really, really well. He was not whining like so many of the other players. For the most part, just upstanding talk giving the NHLPA's side. I have to respect that.

And, hey, he knows the guys. He's spent more time with the key players the last 4 months than Stewie.

Stewart was a fun guy to have around, he never produced much though and was obvioulsy a temporary Carolina player.

Westgarth is 6'4 and 234lbs. This might be the biggest guy to put on a Canes sweater in.....well maybe ever. We needed balance, we obviously got fire power and skill up front this year, talented defense, but no size. This helps balance that out and it will be nice to see him slam some bodies and intimidate a little. Looked up his penalty minutes and they are way up there, I guess we have our enforcer!!! Lookin foward to some good ol fighting.

Edited by danimal-ch1

Awesome, he's a brawler and he already lives in Raleigh in the offseason. I'm really really liking this trade now. Heres a couple lines out of an article I read.

Westgarth is best know for his heavy fists, not his stick-handling. In the 2010-11 season, he had 15 fights.

He should be comfortable in Carolina; he already makes his home in Raleigh during the offseason

Heres a couple wikipedia qoutes: Dang, this guy aint no joke. Looks like we got the toughest guy in the league! Way to go JR!!

In his first game back with Manchester on January 23, Westgarth fought Garrett Klotz of the Philadelphia Phantoms, forcing Klotz to leave the ice on a stretcher after suffering seizures following multiple punches to the face from Westgarth.[2]

Westgarth's first fight of the preseason resulted in facial fractures for Colorado Avalanche winger David Koci on September 22.[3] Through 30 games, Westgarth has led the Kings in penalty minutes with 59, after a number of fights with fellow NHL enforcers, such as John Scott of the Chicago Blackhawks. Late in Game 4 in the playoffs against the San Jose Sharks, Westgarth was ejected with a game misconduct for charging

Edited by danimal-ch1

If this guy is as mean as his rep, then I'm onboard. I still remember poor Skinner getting thrown around like a chew-toy in the beginning of last season. Then he got hurt, and came back, only to kick people. Someone protect this kid!!!

JR said he wanted grit. There ya go.

I know officially nobody could talk until 12:01 last night. But somehow, one thinks that JR and agent were sending smoke signals to each other over the last few months. Westgarth seemed way too comfortable here. Or maybe he really likes his father in law and Raleigh. :)

Edited by wxray1

If this guy is as mean as his rep, then I'm onboard. I still remember poor Skinner getting thrown around like a chew-toy in the beginning of last season. Then he got hurt, and came back, only to kick people. Someone protect this kid!!!

Yeah really, This is gonna be Skinners protector! I'm hoping Skinny is coming back a bit bigger and stronger this year, he did the gary roberts work out all offseason and into the lockout. I remember when E. Staal got thrown around his rookie year, than put on some size and muscle during the lockout and came back really strong. Hopefully Skinny's done the same thing.

According to Chip's twitter, these are the initial pairings to start training camp. I'm sure some of this will change once Westgarth gets here.

Tlusty-E.Staal-Semin

Skinner-J.Staal-LaRose

Jokinen-Nodl-Dwyer

Boychuk-Brent-Wallace

Faulk-Pitkanen

Gleason-Corvo

Harrison-McBain

You don't mean his bizzare molesting thing on Cam do you?

:P

According to Chip's twitter, these are the initial pairings to start training camp. I'm sure some of this will change once Westgarth gets here.

Tlusty-E.Staal-Semin

Skinner-J.Staal-LaRose

Jokinen-Nodl-Dwyer

Boychuk-Brent-Wallace

Faulk-Pitkanen

Gleason-Corvo

Harrison-McBain

thats interesting pairings so far. It would be nice to see Larose break out with some points, It seems he's capable of it especially with talent like that on his line. Not sure Tlusty is ready for first line but I'm not against giving him a chance. Jokinen, we just can't find the right spot for him, but I guess its good to have a talented player you can float on different lines and positions.

Edited by danimal-ch1

Hi, 1st time back in awhile. Computer literacy prevents more posts. Just to weigh in on the Westgarth signing, I see it as being the type of signing which increases the Canes game in an obtuse way. Does he score goals, obviously not, but his signing has the potential of helping out both offensively as well as defensively.In regards to the offense, as pointed out, he likely does add needed protection for Skinner as well as any other neophyte player from the Checkers.As to the defense, a little more indirect, but i think his presence helps to somewhat protect Gleason as well as Harrison from being the only enforcers.This factor helps to free up these 2 to take care of their roles of being defensemen. IMHO, Stewart never had that dimension.The goals we lost in this trade have more than been made up with Semin acquisition.

I really like the defensive pairings, if Pitkanen and Faulk play well together. If so, that is a really good pairing, with great puck moving and offensive capabilities. Dangerous with the top two lines. The Gleason/Corvo pairing is tried and true, a great mix of offense and defense and a high level pairing. Harrison and McBain is also a good mix of offense/defense. A nice 3rd pairing.

As for the forward lines, I really hate that Ruutu is out. It makes a huge difference. I don't like LaRose on the second line at all, but he would be great at third line. Tlusty convinced me he belongs on the first line last season after the good numbers he put up with E Staal. I like our top line. I hate having to put Jussi at 3rd line center, but it seems like the best/only way. I wish we could get rid of Nodl or Dwyer to free up a spot for Bowman on the third line.

Re trades/ training camp:

I really wonder why Dalpe was not on the training camp list ?----I bet we still see him

up with the big club at some poing, even in the shortened season.

Regarding the "cost" of the Westgarth trade---we needed the grit. We may have had to

sweeten the pot with the draft pics to move Stewart in the opposite direction.

JR showing his regard for Boucher--even though oft injured, and not really a great

backup for Cam---by trading him back to Philly, where his family is ! I am sure

Brian is delighted !!

GO CANES !!

Regarding the "cost" of the Westgarth trade---we needed the grit. We may have had to

sweeten the pot with the draft pics to move Stewart in the opposite direction.

Exactly, nobody would take Stewart off of waivers last year which indicates he has negative trade value. I'm sure the 6th was for Westgarth and the 4th was for LA to take Stewart.

I feel like we do this thing where we get an enforcer then decide he's useless and drop the enforcer. If the enforcer's not on the ice at the time of our guys needing protection he's not useful.

I do like our dropping dead weight though. I was excited about Bouch when we got him but he's never healthy. Which I bet is finally behind him and he'll have an excellent year in Philly.

Stewart, I'm glad he's gone so we don't have to press molestation charges. It was just flat out awkward watching that every time we won.

Exactly, nobody would take Stewart off of waivers last year which indicates he has negative trade value. I'm sure the 6th was for Westgarth and the 4th was for LA to take Stewart.

;) exactly !

I feel like we do this thing where we get an enforcer then decide he's useless and drop the enforcer. If the enforcer's not on the ice at the time of our guys needing protection he's not useful.

I do like our dropping dead weight though. I was excited about Bouch when we got him but he's never healthy. Which I bet is finally behind him and he'll have an excellent year in Philly.

Stewart, I'm glad he's gone so we don't have to press molestation charges. It was just flat out awkward watching that every time we won.

Right on the head, Legend. Stewart cleared waivers last year without a nibble, so we had to bundle either draft picks or another player to move him. Now we need to move Nodl to make room for a Checker.

Think JR was nice to Boucher in working something out with Philly, since his family is there. And I like the idea of Ellis being the back-up goalie ... ask me again after his 2nd or 3rd start, HAH!