The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Greg-N-Ral

One more FA given Ruutu is out?

With Ruutu out, I really think the Canes need to sign one more FA now.

4 FA candidates I see include:

1) Petr Sýkora (history with Jordan S)

2) Jason Arnott (vet leadership).

3) If healthy, I would like to see Carolina take a chance on Kristian Huselius.

4) Worst case, a great team guy that thinks highly of the Canes, strong body Mike Knuble.

IMO, adding one of these FA's might be just what's needed to tip the scales this year.

Another FA signing or stick with what have given Ruutu is out?

It seems pretty obvious JR is going for for some physical presence. I wonder if he is shopping for a third line center? We certainly seem to have a knack for letting them go.

It seems pretty obvious JR is going for for some physical presence. I wonder if he is shopping for a third line center? We certainly seem to have a knack for letting them go not paying them.

Slight correction ;)

Knowing JR it won't be as simple as letting a checker move up and here is why:

1) Training camp hasn't started yet, there is a lot of pre-training camp moves that have to happen in a shorter time frame.

2) Traditionally even when we have an open spot, JR likes to create competition to those spots during camp, so my guess is he will sign one player or trade for one player and bring up two guys from charolette, (Dalpe and Boychuk). Have them fight it out over the open spot (whether that is moving a third liner up or leaving the second line spot open).

3) The only forward that resembles Ruutu on the checkers is Sutter and he lacks the talent to be on a top 6 line (imo). This could still work if they put sutter on the 3-4th line but we don't really have the luxury of hoping a current 3rd or 4th liner gets hot and makes up for Ruu being gone for 3 months. If it was day-to-day or one week sure.

Edited by Ichigo-1

With Ruutu out, I really think the Canes need to sign one more FA now.

4 FA candidates I see include:

1) Petr Sýkora (history with Jordan S)

2) Jason Arnott (vet leadership).

3) If healthy, I would like to see Carolina take a chance on Kristian Huselius.

4) Worst case, a great team guy that thinks highly of the Canes, strong body Mike Knuble.

IMO, adding one of these FA's might be just what's needed to tip the scales this year.

Another FA signing or stick with what have given Ruutu is out?

Frankly, I'd take any of those guys... that's a good list. I'd especially like to have Arnott or Knuble.

Another vet would be a good signing, IMO, particularly in a dash like this.

I'm on board with this idea. The Canes were going to have an issue with 3rd line center and Ruutu's injury shuffles the deck again. With the minimal camp, no preseason, and short season it isn't going to allow for any stumbling out of the blocks. Making the playoffs this year would bring that added revenue and help with the whole "get the fans back after the lockout" thing.

Coastal, you sure are tempting the football gods by changing your avatar right now.

Edited by super_dave_1

Hard to say...I think that the guys from Charlotte will get the first crack before we sign someone. I thought Bowman proved he was ready last year and Dalpe sure as heck looked the part on Sunday...killed penalties, short handed goal, beautiful assist on Samson's goal, played wing and then center after Sutter got booted.

Speaking of Sutter, he certainly could add some grit to the 3rd or 4th line if that's what we are looking for.

Tlusty Staal Semin

Skinner J. Staal Jokinen

LaRose Sutter/Brent Dalpe/Bowman

Dwyer Sutter/Brent Nodl/Stewart

The other option without signing another player is to move Jokinen to the 3rd line center...probably not his first choice but that could open space for both Dalpe and Bowman on the wings and Sutter can move up for games where we need a little extra sandpaper.

Tlusty Staal Semin

Skinner J. Staal Dalpe

LaRose Jokinen Bowman

Dwyer Brent Nodl/Stewart

I think that Stewart should be on the 3rd line as LW and not Nodl. Because Stewart is a better player and can create more offense than Nodl pus he is taller by two inches.

Scott Walker type of veteran. That would be on top of my wish list.

Ah yes please - even though he only played here a fairly short time I loved that man .....(in a respectful manly kind of way :-)

Edited by sipower

Ah yes please - even though he only played here a fairly short time I loved that man .....(in a respectful manly kind of way :-)

Sounds like Mike Knuble would be your choice! Check him out. Total Class act.

JR, lets go... time to get the "BIg Moose"... he's the "grit" , is healthy and a fan of this area!!!

Connect the dots and lets get er done!

Jason Arnott please. We need his experience and leadership (was a captain in Nash.). We'd have four strong down the middle in Eric, Jordan, Arnott, Brent. Dalpe/Boychuk/Sutter could still get a spot, but given their inexperience and age they are more easily moved to wing.

Right now we have no third line center, and we could have gone forward with Jokinen on the third line center, but I think that's a mistake. He has more potential and more to give on a top 6 wing. Now with Ruutu out, we really can't afford it. That's why Arnott will be a perfect addition IMO. I waaaaaaaant him.

snooze, ya lose..... we can cross another name off the FA list..

Flyers agree to terms with Knuble

We're now down to two from the original list...

1) Petr Sýkora (has a decent history with Jordan S)

2) Jason Arnott (great vet leadership). - but he might sign with the Stars soon.

Time is flying by, time to act now!

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

It's a shame we didn't take a chance on Jagr or Gomez at under 800K.. now knuble is gone- Any of these would have been a big step up from *any* 3rd or 4th liner we have. I understand development, but when its only a 48 game season, any of these Pro's would provide what we lack, which is consistent and known quantity for at least this quick run. If didn't work out, you can go back to your bowman's,boychuck's, dalpe's etc.. but in the meantime you dont fall backward for this quick run, esp. with Ruutu out.

Agree if arnott can still skate i'd take him on in a second

Edited by canes-in-7

Jagr's already injured and Gomez, I'd rather someone else take that chance.

On years when we are trying to duct tape a team together maybe Gomez as a fixer upper project works. But not this year,

I still think there is a need to replace the physicality that Ruutu brought and also that invisible 3rd line is going to need addressing.

Edited by super_dave_1

Broken records time, but we need to sign one of these while we still can....

1) Petr Sýkora (has a decent history with Jordan S)

2) Jason Arnott (great vet leadership, assuming he's healthy)

That combined with giving Ellis more ice time while Cam gets over his slump, WILL make a difference!!!

Edited by Greg-N-Ral