The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Greg-N-Ral

One more FA given Ruutu is out?

It's a shame we didn't take a chance on Jagr......

SO TRUE!!!

How about Jagr's near 20-goal year this season, (vs say Jordan's 9 or 10 goal campaign). Not to mention Jagr's passing skills!! 

On top of that, moving forward, Jordan costs 6-mill per (vs Jagr at 4.5)
and we're stuck with Jordan for years, vs Jagr's very short-term deal.

Yeap, so glad we passed on Jagr and got good ole' "North-South, Mr. Intangibles" Jordan Staal... argh.

Parenteau (for 4-mil) would have been a better move too!!

Well...who's available this summer on the UFA market that we could FEASIBLY make a play for?

Still kinda early, but on offense, guys like Ribeiro and Pascal Dupuis might be.

Would love to see one of them and rookie D-stud Seth Jones added to this roster!

btw... 

RIBEIRO centering the 2nd line with Jordan Staal on the 3rd (his real spot, IMO) would be kind'a exciting actually. Real exciting!

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

I think Nash has proven himself to comeback to training camp a few pounds more, and compete for the 3rd line centermans job. It makes the most sense. We need to spend money on DEFENSE. Plus Rask may be ready as well. We need to say adios to Mcbain.. Corvo.. Pitkanen.. and bring in 2 to 3 big shutdown defenseman. Thats what we need.

I think Murphy is for real. He should be our "offensive" guy that we live with average defense with because he is going to actually produce on offense consistently. 

The three guys that just are not strong consistently on the defensive side are McBain, Corvo, and Sangs. At the very least those 3 need to be gone. Harrison has had an off year, but is big cheap and if on the last pairing should be ok. 

Pitkanen is decent defensively, but he is oft hurt and his forays deep into the zone rarely produce, and then we have a forward playing defense going the other way. Pits must have some trade value. IF he could be changed to a shut down role and buy into that, I think he could do it, but it has not been his game thus far. 

An overhaul moves McBain, Sangs, Corvo, and possibly even Pits out. 

Murphy is in (gonna love that offense and PP NEEDS help). Just pick one of McBain, Corvo, Sangs and slide Murphy in there. But that just means the need for the stay at home positionally sound guy is that much more acute to replace the other. 

But how on Earth does JR bring in a legit at least good top 4 NHL stay at home dman? 

If we pick Nurse, is he really ready? He will not be FULLY ready that's for sure. So he'd need to be a bottom pairing guy. If we went Nurse and Murphy up here, we'd need some really solid guys to fill in around them.

No matter how you slice it, JR must find at least one new solid legit top 4 stay at home NHL veteran dman. The better and more shut down the more effective. 

Shut Down/Faulk

Gleason/Pits

Harrison/Nurse

Murphy

What do I know? Well I know the current defense isn't very good at.....defense.

I think Murphy is for real. He should be our "offensive" guy that we live with average defense with because he is going to actually produce on offense consistently. 

The three guys that just are not strong consistently on the defensive side are McBain, Corvo, and Sangs. At the very least those 3 need to be gone. Harrison has had an off year, but is big cheap and if on the last pairing should be ok. 

Pitkanen is decent defensively, but he is oft hurt and his forays deep into the zone rarely produce, and then we have a forward playing defense going the other way. Pits must have some trade value. IF he could be changed to a shut down role and buy into that, I think he could do it, but it has not been his game thus far. 

An overhaul moves McBain, Sangs, Corvo, and possibly even Pits out. 

Murphy is in (gonna love that offense and PP NEEDS help). Just pick one of McBain, Corvo, Sangs and slide Murphy in there. But that just means the need for the stay at home positionally sound guy is that much more acute to replace the other. 

But how on Earth does JR bring in a legit at least good top 4 NHL stay at home dman? 

If we pick Nurse, is he really ready? He will not be FULLY ready that's for sure. So he'd need to be a bottom pairing guy. If we went Nurse and Murphy up here, we'd need some really solid guys to fill in around them.

No matter how you slice it, JR must find at least one new solid legit top 4 stay at home NHL veteran dman. The better and more shut down the more effective. 

Shut Down/Faulk

Gleason/Pits

Harrison/Nurse

Murphy

What do I know? Well I know the current defense isn't very good at.....defense.

I know people are probably tired of me throwing his name out there, but I think Bellemore could be our #6 guy next year, with upside. I really liked what I saw from him and he should continue to develop. He's got good size, he is physical, his stength seems good, and he made simple but effective plays. Not much more you can ask for from a defensive defenseman.

I know people are probably tired of me throwing his name out there, but I think Bellemore could be our #6 guy next year, with upside. I really liked what I saw from him and he should continue to develop. He's got good size, he is physical, his stength seems good, and he made simple but effective plays. Not much more you can ask for from a defensive defenseman.

I liked Bellemore more than our other AHL guys. 

This is just me talking, but I really think Murphy's skill set on offense will put him on the team. 

But if so we are going to need to transition to more defensive guys around him. 

Bellemore and Harrison kind of fill the same type game. Would you keep both? 

Just feels like one solid proven NHL 3-4 stay at home guy to stabilize the top end is needed.

It will be really interesting to see what happens. 

I liked Bellemore more than our other AHL guys. 

This is just me talking, but I really think Murphy's skill set on offense will put him on the team. 

But if so we are going to need to transition to more defensive guys around him. 

Bellemore and Harrison kind of fill the same type game. Would you keep both? 

Just feels like one solid proven NHL 3-4 stay at home guy to stabilize the top end is needed.

It will be really interesting to see what happens. 

I think I would keep Harrison and Bellemore even though they are similar. Bellemore would likely be cheap and when injuries hit we will need as many good defensemen as possible. I think he and Harrison make a nice #5 and #6 pairing, and as you said I think our real need is in the #1 and/or #3 slot. Being realistic I think we may be able to address the #3 slot, but probably not the #1 slot. This does beg the question, where does Murphy fit in. I don't think he belongs in the top four, but I am not a fan of dressing seven defensemen either. I guess I would play/rotate Harrison, Bellemore, and Murphy in the bottom pairing, see who shows what, and go from there. I just think from what I have seen and his likely cost, Bellemore should be in the lineup/on the roster next year. Dave Lewis even went as far as saying he sees Bellemore filling the role/void left by Allen. Like you said, should be very interesting. We really need to move on from Corvo, Bergeron, and Sangs (free agents), and we need to find a way to move McBain. I'm also for trading Pitkanen for a top four, two-way or defensive defenseman with some mobility. I want better defense, but we don't want too many lumbering guys either. Just throwing stuff out there, but God I hope we can find a way to revamp our defense. Still, we may all be forced to lay in the bed that JR has made.