The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
copcaniac

plasma or lcd

we are looking at 42" and 46" lcd and plasma tv's and dont know what to go with

We have a Sony LCD and love it. Picture is awesome and the price has come down a bunch. Nothing better than the NHL in HD.

We have a Sony LCD and love it. Picture is awesome and the price has come down a bunch. Nothing better than the NHL in HD.

what size did you go with?

Check your pm.

Check your pm.

i have a 46" Westinghouse, recently rated best buy. it has three HDMI inputs, 3 component inputs. LCD is the way to go because it supports 1080p which is the highest resolution of any HD format. I think the highest you can go with plasma is 720p and plasma has to be recharged after 2-3years. feel free to pm me if you want more info on my setup or to check it out.

i have a 46" Westinghouse, recently rated best buy. it has three HDMI inputs, 3 component inputs. LCD is the way to go because it supports 1080p which is the highest resolution of any HD format. I think the highest you can go with plasma is 720p and plasma has to be recharged after 2-3years. feel free to pm me if you want more info on my setup or to check it out.

Plasma TVs needing to be recharged is a myth. Click Me!!!

I work at sears in electronics (woo yes i got a new job about a monthish ago!!!!!!)And we have 1080p plasmas. But on the debate of plasma and lcd's it depends greatly on a lot of things. Light in the room, what you'll be using it for (games and such). If you have anyother questions then you can pm me if you want, either way good luck!

LCD! Plasma burns out and as so needs new lamps inside the tv every 2-5 years which cost alot of money. Also Plasma burns the picture in the tv quite a bit. I have LCD and its awesome!

Plasma TVs do not have lamps.

I have had a 50 inch Sony LCD for almost 3 years and it is awesome! I looked at both and I choose LCD because I could get a bigger screen for less money. Plasma's are nice but they are expensive. Unless you want to mount your tv on the wall, LCD is the way to go.

Do yourself a favor and get an on line membership to consumer reports for $29. They have the best research and buying guides where you can learn the differences of all digital tv's. I found it to be very helpful when I purchased my tv.

As you can see from just this thread alone, there are still many misconceptions about each technology and what are the perceived strengths/weaknesses.

To get the right tv might require some work but once you see hockey in HD, you'll be amazed!

I have had a 50 inch Sony LCD for almost 3 years and it is awesome! I looked at both and I choose LCD because I could get a bigger screen for less money. Plasma's are nice but they are expensive. Unless you want to mount your tv on the wall, LCD is the way to go.

Do yourself a favor and get an on line membership to consumer reports for $29. They have the best research and buying guides where you can learn the differences of all digital tv's. I found it to be very helpful when I purchased my tv.

As you can see from just this thread alone, there are still many misconceptions about each technology and what are the perceived strengths/weaknesses.

To get the right tv might require some work but once you see hockey in HD, you'll be amazed!

and don't do like a friend of mine, he bought a 65" Plasma, Bose surround sound system, BUT skimped on direct TV and didn't get the HD package - what a dork. Now direct TV wants $600 to switch out his equipment. Before you buy make sure you have decided on where you will get the HD content and have that equipment in place.

and don't do like a friend of mine, he bought a 65" Plasma, Bose surround sound system, BUT skimped on direct TV and didn't get the HD package - what a dork. Now direct TV wants $600 to switch out his equipment. Before you buy make sure you have decided on where you will get the HD content and have that equipment in place.

Direct TV DOES NOT carry FSN-south HD games!!!!!!!!!! There is no exisring contract although they hope to have one in place for this season...we'll see :rolleyes:

Direct TV DOES NOT carry FSN-south HD games!!!!!!!!!! There is no exisring contract although they hope to have one in place for this season...we'll see :rolleyes:

Also, consider how large your living room is. It'd make no sense for Mr. GSBG and I to scurry out to purchase a 65" plasma for our tiny -- roughly 10' by 10' -- living room, the smallest room in our thousand-square-foot apartment. (And, to paraphrase one of Steve Martin's earliest comedy routines, we'll be "getting smaller" when we make our next move, more likely than not, to an even smaller apartment that'll be closer to our store.) One of those behemoths would be absolutely, positively silly in our urban abode.

For now, we're sticking with our 27" tube, the one we purchased in '98 that fits our gorgeous oak entertainment center like a charm. It works for us! B)

Jan/GSBG

Who does carry FSN-South HD games? They aren't on Time Warner either.
Time Warner carries the FSN South HD Cane's games in their "HD Suite" package...of course, only about 10 or so games in the last two seasons have been available in HD -- hopefully they'll have a lot more this season...

Also, consider how large your living room is. It'd make no sense for Mr. GSBG and I to scurry out to purchase a 65" plasma for our tiny -- roughly 10' by 10' -- living room, the smallest room in our thousand-square-foot apartment. (And, to paraphrase one of Steve Martin's earliest comedy routines, we'll be "getting smaller" when we make our next move, more likely than not, to an even smaller apartment that'll be closer to our store.) One of those behemoths would be absolutely, positively silly in our urban abode.

For now, we're sticking with our 27" tube, the one we purchased in '98 that fits our gorgeous oak entertainment center like a charm. It works for us! B)

Jan/GSBG

they actually make a 27" LCD that has real good HD quality, priced reasonable, and will fit in your entertainment center. For the money i recommend Westinghouse. I have a 46" at Casa De Chet and bought my son a 27" for his college apartment.

You all can debate between LCD and Plasma, but I really like my 67 in Samsung DLP that has a super picture in HD, for 3k. That's almost 2000 square inches of viewing area.

We have that same one! :) We went into Best Buy looking for a new tv (MAN, the choices and associates were horrendous) ... we originally were going to get DLP, but then changed our mind and went with the Westinghouse. I have been very pleased with it I must say. DLP is too much upkeep it seemed.

Also, if you play any kind of video games, its been said numerous times that even with plasma, certain images would "burn" themselves in. I really don't know how much of that is true, but, hey, another reason for LCD.

I've got 3 LCD's - a 37" Polaroid in my bedroom which I love - the picture is great. I've got a 50" HP in my bonus room with the whole surround sound thing going for the movies. The HP was a deal of a lifetime - got it for under $2500 and it will hook up to my HP laptop. Picture is great as well.

I have to say that my favorite is my 60" Pioneer in the living room. Of all the TV's that we looked at, this was the best picture, and I can honestly say I still feel the same. I love the TV.

We looked at the Westinghouse TV's before we bought the Polaroid - just so happens I liked the Polaroid better. Westinghouse is a great TV - BTW.