The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hockeyfan1208

I'm meeting with Jim Rutherford Thursday morning...

Hey there folks,

Long story I can get too later nutlike it says, I'm meeting with our GM for a little Thursday morning, just as a fan talking to the GM. My plan is to ask for as many different opinions on the team, etc. in these next couple days to make sure I maximize the opportunity I've been given to voice fan concerns. I know people who post on these message boards are true fans whose input I would value in coming up with what I'd like to address, I'm hoping to speak on all of our behalf.

So with that in mind, post your thoughts on the team, what would you tell JR if given the chance?

Wow, what an opportunity. I need to think about this before offering any agenda items. It's easy to meet with a tirade of comments, but you need to present objective ideas to JR. I'm sure you'll have plenty of input from others.

Here's some unrealistic demands: When the players take the ice, they come out of an Eye of a giant Hurricanes logo with tons of fog and flashing lights. Thunder noises and wailing wind noises, accompanied by video clips of trees being ripped out from the ground by wind, storm surge, etc on jumbotron. Maybe even have some water spray around. Basically I want our team to come out in a simulated hurricane.

Design the PNC Arena so the stands/seats look like swirling winds from weather satellite photos of hurricanes, and the ice is in the eye. Can be seen from broadcast view of televised 'Canes games.

Bring Erik Cole back/talk him out of retirement.

Acquire a legit top-2 defenseman.

:P

Tell him there are great fans right here on the Canes boards and they offer opinions daily.

:rofl:

You forgot to add that we're all available for consults at any time and our opinions are always right.

TSA, with all due respects, I don't think JR needs to read over 2000 comments of venting fans in the lockout thread. He needs to hear some concise, constructive, positive comments. Assuming the meeting between JR and 1208 is legit, 1208 needs to provide the bottom line of fans' wishes (not opinions). I've been in this situation in meetings with upper management in other organizations I've worked for. There's a limited amount of time allotted, so get to the points and make sure to cover the issues. These meetings are not BS sessions. "Well, your time is up, I need to go to another meeting."

TSA, with all due respects, I don't think JR needs to read over 2000 comments of venting fans in the lockout thread. He needs to hear some concise, constructive, positive comments. Assuming the meeting between JR and 1208 is legit, 1208 needs to provide the bottom line of fans' wishes (not opinions). I've been in this situation in meetings with upper management in other organizations I've worked for. There's a limited amount of time allotted, so get to the points and make sure to cover the issues. These meetings are not BS sessions. "Well, your time is up, I need to go to another meeting."

I was just kidding :)

I think any time a GM/owner takes the time to listen to their fans, only good things can come from that.

thank him for the %% invested in an attempt to make us a more competitive team

ask him some lessons learned from the lockout and what has been done to lessen the chances of being another one

So what is the point of asking someone who you'd think would know the Fan's opinion to only have that person come to these boards? I'd expect something like this from the Gov't or some type of make work activity. Sorry, but can't take this seriously.

Edited by Manwolf

Tell him Gary Bettman must go. A lockout when the league was growing is unforgivable. They had literally YEARS to figure out a new CBA. And instead they waited until it EXPIRED and put forth ridiculous proposals they knew the players wouldn't accept and for what? Was it worth it? I truly hope the NHL suffers this season otherwise they will think this behavior is ok and we will suffer another lockout in 8 years. Again...

If is true ticket prices have gone up I would voice a concern for that as a fan. We haven't been putting a good enough product on the ice to deserve a ticket hike. You raise the prices after a good FULL year.

On the lighter side of things if I had a conversation with a former NHL goalie I would ask about his career and how goaltending has evolved in his eyes. But that's me the goalie nut.

Ask him why we've been searching for a good veteran back-up for Wardo when all JR has to do is strap on his vintage pads and get his butt on the ice! With Semin, Skinner and the Staal brothers on the ice it's not like the puck will ever be in our defensive zone anyway... he can just take a nap in the crease.

Seriously, though, here is something I have been waiting to see for a LONG time... the players and organization always talk about how they are proud of the Caniac Nation's support and vocal input during games. It's nice to hear, but why not show it after games with a Rangers-esc salute? Go to the center ice and raise the sticks in appreciation. It would mean a lot to the fans to be 'rewarded' with that acknowledgment once in a while, not after every win, but when the support really counted towards a win. I think that gesture would go a long way in backing their words in the post game interviews - like I said, it's nice to hear but I feel like players would say that anyway for any fan base and it just doesn't feel genuine at times.

And, what's his plan for his replacement after he retires - is it still Francis?

Thank you for all the replies everyone. My goal is to maximize this meetings potential on behalf of all of us, thats why I came and posted on here in the first place, because I know that everyone here has true opinions and cares about the team, I didn't mean to stir up any sort of animosity. But I will take points I've seen here down, and will continue to check back on this thread till I leave tomorrow for any new ones, but I like what I'm seeing so far, this is exactly why I asked.

My question would be if the new investors and PK are really serious about putting a competitive team on the ice that may cost a little more initially or was this past summer's efforts a "flash in the pan". I'll be a Canes fan regardless, but it's a whole lot more fun knowing the team has the best resources available and should win games, not just could win games.

Enjoy your meeting and tell him I said, "Hey".

Pepcane: That's the biggest point and the first thing I'm going to address. We don't want to fall into a cycle of have a decent season and then start losing because we can't afford players like the Marlins do in baseball, we want to make sure that this offseason is going to be the culture, not the "flavor of the month" as my friend put it.

Pepcane: That's the biggest point and the first thing I'm going to address. We don't want to fall into a cycle of have a decent season and then start losing because we can't afford players like the Marlins do in baseball, we want to make sure that this offseason is going to be the culture, not the "flavor of the month" as my friend put it.

Don't forget to tell him I said, "Hey!" :howdy:

Please Canes, god, dont do anything the Marlins FO does. I would know all to well.

One question I would like to know is, Are there any plans to update any of the Uniforms. Ive noticed alot of the black jersey in promotional stuff and I think its a great look. The reds and whites would be better without the stupid shoulder piping ala pre Reebok Edge jersey days. Ive often wondered if they would turn the third jersey into the home and make a white jersey with the flag.

Edited by MarlinsCanesCop86

I would tell him that while I am flattered that he reads my posts for advice, he really should stop because I don't really know what I'm talking about.

I would tell him that while I am flattered that he reads my posts for advice, he really should stop because I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Uh, humbling, isn't it? You did make me laugh out loud on that one!

I just can't wait for the day when I can be at work and am not the only person with whom I deal on a daily basis who knows that icing isn't what you put on a cake.

I would actually tell him "good job on J. Staal, Semin, Westgarth, and Ellis. I would suggest we find one more scoring threat and one more top "D" man if we want to win the cup. Maybe a checker will be the scoring threat and maybe Faulk,Mcbain,Corvo,gleason,Pits,Harrison will step it up and be top notch defenseman this year, but all those guys struggle to keep shots out of wardos face every year and the checkers never come through for us. If we want the cup go after one more Foward and one more D man that have proved themselves in this league and cost a little money. Otherwise we'll have to hope that everything comes together perfectly and everyone lives up to there high expectations which is rare.

1) I'd ask him to consider selling premier parking to 26 game ticket holders again.

2) I'd ask him if the new parking coordinator has been told to abandon the practices of last year. Parking coordination has been horrible since the Cup years.

Hey there folks,

Long story I can get too later nutlike it says, I'm meeting with our GM for a little Thursday morning, just as a fan talking to the GM. My plan is to ask for as many different opinions on the team, etc. in these next couple days to make sure I maximize the opportunity I've been given to voice fan concerns. I know people who post on these message boards are true fans whose input I would value in coming up with what I'd like to address, I'm hoping to speak on all of our behalf.

So with that in mind, post your thoughts on the team, what would you tell JR if given the chance?

Ask for the fans in the parking lot, after practices this year, and next year, my wife and i will be there sometime in november, THAT every player stops, and signs some autographs, its not like hundreds of fans are out there.No wardo, flying out in his sportster! :)