The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Greg-N-Ral

Chantel McCabe

Dreadful. The other guy had way much more enthusiasm. Her voice just seemed to crack all the time. Maybe she was just nervous and will get better as the season progresses? Her voice sounded like she was nervous.

I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt and say it was nerves and unpreparedness. The whole broadcast seemed off last night. Maybe they will go over video like the 'Canes and tighten things up. But yeah, she was horrible last night.

First night, not fair to evaluate it yet imo.

She did ask Captain Kirk a great question when she asked him "are you nervous..." he turned red and you could tell he wasnt expecting that question. Nothing bad about it, but from a journelistic view it was a good question.

I am ok to give her a long time to season. Mark Roberts on 99.9 post game however was a different thing. He was bad from the moment a syllable left his mouth.

Being an out-of-marketer I can't speak for much of any of it, I'm at the mercy of what gets shown on CI/GC and for the most part it ain't much when it comes to anything but the actual game itself. No pre-game, no post-game, not much in between either, even commercials sometimes as we get the "privilege" of listening to that gawd awful "music" instead. Yeah, I actually sometimes enjoy watching out-of-market ads, even though that Kangaroo ad with Victoria and the other Storm Squad girl used to make me cringe (no offense girls - love ya all - you all rock!! wub.gif ) But let me try to put it into perspective for the lucky folks who get to watch all the extra stuff, I think I'd rather watch Chantel fumble her way through (hopefully) first game nerves than not have the option to see any of it at all. Tumbleweed.gif

Friend of mine mentioned there was an a broadcast equipment fire last night but I can't verify it. Maybe that threw everything off. Hope that explains some of it, cause last night was pretty bad.

Friend of mine mentioned there was an a broadcast equipment fire last night but I can't verify it. Maybe that threw everything off. Hope that explains some of it, cause last night was pretty bad.

I don't know what happened but It was obvious they were having some technical problems to start the broadcast. I agree that things did not go smoothly and the new host seemed off but I think she deserves another chance before people decide she's flat out awful. She was very good up in Boston and I'm confident she'll settle in here too. I'd be a little more concerned about our owner's interview skills than someone's first ever broadcast in a brand new market, with brand new coworkers and technical staff and her first game ever after a long drawn out delay at an away venue.

Tough crowd here :huh:

On Twitter

First game, First time with new crew, and then that. I think she will be fine.

That may or may not explain Peter Karmanos's off timed comments about team USA winning the recent championship. It seemed to just come out of left field but maybe he was trying to fill space while they got technical issues under control. At least that's what I'm hoping.

If you read the text of her questions, they were actually pretty good questions. Like the Canes though, execution? Not so much. Could have her questions and text written for her.

She seems to have a nice personality and is not hard on the eyes. That's worth another shot.

Honestly I didn't think it was that bad, it was standard q's and a's. For it being the first time and considering the long lockout and the fire and little time to prep it was fine.

I'll give it a few more games to be fair but someone better burn those frickin que cards she read all night or get someone to hold them for her.

This may be harsh and I know it was her first night on the air w/Canes org, but for someone who has experience, you wouldn't know it. She barely got through reading scores from around the league, said things like "exciting home opener" (when it was Canes 1, Panthers 5 - AND it wasn't the Canes HOME opener) and "first season of the game". I'm sure nerves were playing a role, but...

That may or may not explain Peter Karmanos's off timed comments about team USA winning the recent championship. It seemed to just come out of left field but maybe he was trying to fill space while they got technical issues under control. At least that's what I'm hoping.

"off timed comments"? I thought she'd asked him about his involvement in USA hockey and he gave an enthusiastic answer, and justifiably so. The list of people that have done more than Karmonos when it comes to supporting USA hockey in recent years is pretty short.

Regarding Chantel...not much to add. I think at one point when reading the scores she said something like "the Blackhawks were leading by 2" when the game was already over and they'd won 5-2. Hopefully, the next outing for her...and the Canes...will be much improved.

Wow, sounds like she has a few thousand supervisors... I'm glad I'm not filmed while I work - I might be in the unemployment line.

:poke:

Lets give her some time to work out the kinks.

I give her A for looking a lot better than Trip, but a C- for the rest of that debacle..And to be fair Id give Cam a F for performance and a F for some flu excuse.. On to the next game!!

For someone who supposedly has experience in this type of job, she should have been better. Much better. Remember she replaced Bob Harwood, who, while not an exciting personality, didn't have any of the problems she had and always did a very competent job. I just hope she and the team will improve much sooner rather than later, because there's not much time to do that ...

Geeezz some people are such a critic. Typical internet crabs complaining behind an avatar. Let me criticize you after 2 hours on the job !! I thought she did more than OK and it will only get better. I like Bob or what ever his name was last year and I will like Chantel. The game scores was hard for the first time...no way to time it right. I can read and it will get better.

Again, it was very OK and it will get better.

How about when she said that JR was "almost the brains" of the organ-eye-zation? She's got a lot to learn, hope she gets better. A LOT better.

My husband and I CRACKED up when that one came out of her mouth. Still makes me laugh!!!

Canes let in 4 in the first 20 minutes of the season and you guys are all lathered up over what the new sideline gal did during the first game? I'll agree that it wasn't a stellar start, but I'm a little more concerned with the showing on the ice.

For someone who supposedly has experience in this type of job, she should have been better. Much better. Remember she replaced Bob Harwood, who, while not an exciting personality, didn't have any of the problems she had and always did a very competent job. I just hope she and the team will improve much sooner rather than later, because there's not much time to do that ...

I liked Harwood ... knowledgeable, professional, and a nice counter-balance to Tripp ... and hated to see him released. I just can't associate the name Chantel with professional hockey ... maybe if her nickname was "Charlie".