The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Greg-N-Ral

Chantel McCabe

Still sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, don't know why they feel they have to tinker with something that already works.

Still sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, don't know why they feel they have to tinker with something that already works.

She's hot, but that's about it. Aint no Erin Andrews through, that's for sure. I'll give her credit though, she is getting better.

<snip>

Chantel seems a bit better. Fairly brilliant strategy to set the bar really low, then beat it. I don't know if she writes her own questions, but they are not bad questions.

If you are talking about last night's game, there was bleedover on the audio as they were going into the commercial...she asked Tripp and John who she should interview and what she should ask if nothing happened in the first period. Tripp gave her suggestions on who to interview (because her plan had been to ask to interview Ellis and Tripp said said you never want to interview a goalie mid-game) and what to ask. She did the interview with the player and questions Tripp suggested.

In hearing that exchange it was obvious that if Tripp lost the goofy schtick and just got down to it, he'd be a much better partner for John on air. Hard to believe!

<snip>

If you are talking about last night's game, there was bleedover on the audio as they were going into the commercial...she asked Tripp and John who she should interview and what she should ask if nothing happened in the first period. Tripp gave her suggestions on who to interview (because her plan had been to ask to interview Ellis and Tripp said said you never want to interview a goalie mid-game) and what to ask. She did the interview with the player and questions Tripp suggested.

In hearing that exchange it was obvious that if Tripp lost the goofy schtick and just got down to it, he'd be a much better partner for John on air. Hard to believe!

I'm sure John and Tripp will be coaching her for a long time.

So what is this thread saying about the Canes, If people are worried about how a new girl is interviewing players and coaches, we (Canes)are really in trouble!! I'm sure any of us would be very nervous to be interviewing pro Coaches and players on television as well. So Why blast a young girl that is just starting a career as a commentator!! Keep up the effort Chantel!

So what is this thread saying about the Canes, If people are worried about how a new girl is interviewing players and coaches, we (Canes)are really in trouble!! I'm sure any of us would be very nervous to be interviewing pro Coaches and players on television as well. So Why blast a young girl that is just starting a career as a commentator!! Keep up the effort Chantel!

She's not just starting a career as a commentator. Her first 2 games were dreadful and just plain embarrassing. She is getting better though, I'll give her that. I'm sure John and Tripp are coaching her. I hope she continues to improve.

They've cut her face time during the game that's for sure.

They are trying to convince us she is NOT just a pretty face...I'm not convinced. Her delivery is stilted and hesitant. She can't even deliver the "around the NHL scores" off camera and probably with cue cards without making a mistake!

I hope she is not given too much slack because she is female. If a man was out front and camera he would be hearing the trash talk for a performance like hers. Let Tripp go back to doing it it. He did a pretty good job

She seems to take more heat here when the Canes lose. Tough crowd.

Unlike the goalie opinions which are gametime decisions, opinions on her tend to be post game decisions. ;)

Edited by TSA

Tough crowd, huh? At least in this case, she IS really awful, and it appears to not just be a case of being nervous. I'm done with the pregame, but luckily I don't have to watch it that often. :welcome: Chantel.

And as much as I despise Mike Maniscalco, he's at least a better option with Chuck K pitching in.

Edit TSA: at least I got this started DURING the pregame.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I still wonder this. Who's feeding her the questions? They really are pretty cogent questions, it's just that you have to get through the presentation to hear them.

On another point, what is up w/ Muller's constant quick stares into the camera? Feels like a weird episode of The Office. Or is it just me?

Tough crowd, huh? At least in this case, she IS really awful, and it appears to not just be a case of being nervous. I'm done with the pregame, but luckily I don't have to watch it that often. :welcome: Chantel...

I'll take your word for it. I don't watch the pre-game, nor listen to the sideline breaks, and rarely to the between period interviews. I do listen to the aftermath at times, and enjoy what other fans have to say. Now Forslund, that's always worth a listen.

God its painful to watch her. i really was hoping she'd get better cause i felt bad for her. She is not a natural in anyway at this and its quite embarassing. Who ever interviewed and hired her should be fired. This is a professional major league team not high school hockey. I feel like I'm watching the morning announcements in high school. Major Fail Canes.

God its painful to watch her. i really was hoping she'd get better cause i felt bad for her. She is not a natural in anyway at this and its quite embarassing. Who ever interviewed and hired her should be fired. This is a professional major league team not high school hockey. I feel like I'm watching the morning announcements in high school. Major Fail Canes.

Do we need a "Bring Back Bob Harwood" campaign? Thought he was a good addition last year and was sorry the Canes opted to let him go in favor of Chantel. She belongs in a more structured format like as a TV news desk anchor.

Agree, she was just a bad hire. And her new eye glasses certainly don't make her any smarter either. I enjoy watching Kathryn Tappen on the NHL channel. She's hotter than Chantel, doesn't fumble all over the place and knows the game. A true professional.

It honestly has nothing to do with whether we are losing or winning hockey games. I wish it would just be John and Tripp like it used to be. I always loved the Pregame show, it is the 30 minutes of excitement before the Canes game, and it is painful to watch now and quite embarrassing. I was trying to get my friend who is a Flyers fan really into the Hurricanes, and he was trying to be nice, but some of the things she does is so baddddd, it made me embarrassed, and it also made me remember that people all over the world who watch Center Ice and see this unfold, and as long as it says FS CANES at the top right corner of the screen, it totally does infact represent our team's professionalism. Unlike what some of you are saying by trying to "give her time," or "they seem to just notice it when the Canes are losing," or even "you should go up infront of a camera and do better," 1. Its already been 6 games and it is still comical at all the mistakes there are; (Did anyone see the last game where she was interviewing Glen Stefan the Goalie Coach, where she interviewed him twice because she messed up the first time, yet she asked him the exact same questions and both times made me cringe when she tried to make it go back to the commercial break saying, "It is gonna be a HUGEEE period coming up :hairpull: ) 2. I have constantly noticed how she is a trainwreck, not just when the team is doing bad. Whenever it is time to go through the NHL Scoreboards throughout the league, I buckle my seatbelt and take a deep breath, it is horrible monologue, constant use of "uh," wrong information (the scores are shown right there on TV yet she gets them wrong). 3. I do not work as a reporter in the media, but yes I do think at times that I could do better, but nonetheless, that is her job, it should not be an excuse. Most importantly, I can tell she is totally not into it, her voice is flat and emotionless, it is fake sounding. The thing I admire about Tripp Tracy is he is who he is, even if it is goofy, at least he comes across as an enjoyable person to listen too because he is himself, she could be tonssssss better if she just relaxed, took a deep breathe, and stopped trying so hard to the point where it makes her even worse. I love the Hurricanes and everyone that represents them, and I do not write this for the reason of trying to be too harsh or mean, I write this because it has unfortunately made me not to even want to watch pregames anymore, and that is not my own problem, it is a problem however, and it is reasonable to present it so that things are resolved. With all that being said, I hope everyone takes this with a grain of salt, criticism can be a motivator at times, and hopefully she just relaxes, reveals her true character, and sharpens up in the near future. Go 'Canes!