The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Greg-N-Ral

Chantel McCabe

Come on people, don't try to tell me she's getting better, Have you lowered your standards that much!? Everything about it is bad! She is representing our team and organization, It's embarassing. I hope she dosen't read the message boards though cause I do feel bad, Its not her fault she was hired for this job.

Do we need a "Bring Back Bob Harwood" campaign?

This!

Harwood was a pro and it was a huge mistake to let him go. A quick Google search makes it appear that he may not be working right now. Give him a call!

Hi everyone,

I had the chance to chat with Chantel McCabe about starting her new gig with the 'Canes - you can check out the interview here:

http://www.sholdmedi...chantel-mccabe/

Chantel-New-590x260.png

SMG Featured Profile: Chantel McCabe

4 Feb 2013 Chantel McCabe by Taylor Shold

Chantel McCabe is a success story if there ever was one. Just two years ago she was a sports management student, now she’s the face of the Carolina Hurricanes broadcast team. Chantel joined the Hurricanes broadcast team as the host and rinkside reporter at the start of this season. So many of the Shold Media Group membership is trying to move from college or minor league broadcasts and into the big leagues. Chantel took that big step in the off-season.

Chantel comes to the Carolina Hurricanes Broadcasts from Springfield, MA, where she has served as a general assignment reporter for WGGB-ABC 40. Along with her work at ABC 40, the New Hampshire native has served as a sideline reporter for Major League Lacrosse (MLL), and covered events for the New England Sports Network (NESN) and Hockey East. McCabe graduated from the University of New Hampshire where she covered news, politics and sports for the school’s student-run newspaper The New Hampshire. Taylor Shold, founder of the Shold Media Group had a chance to talk with Chantel about starting her new gig and how she made the jump into the pro-ranks just two years removed from university.

Taylor Shold: How has networking helped your career?

Chantel McCabe: There are a lot of great things that come from networking. Obviously it’s nice to know people who could help you get to a job but you never know how that connection can develop. It’s funny how small the world is. Not everyone is friendly but being approachable and being positive can really benefit in the future. People remember how you make them feel.

Taylor: How did you land your new job with the Hurricanes broadcasts?

Chantel: With very limited broadcast experience and not knowing a ton about the Hurricanes, as soon as I found a way to get into the mix for an audition I read as much as I could about the history of the organization, the players, the front office staff, etc. I interviewed with John Forslund, our tv play by play personality, the team’s broadcast director and the GM. I had to do mock interviews and mock in game hits on the locker room changes and other topics. Even though I hardly touched on everything I knew about the team in my interview, it was important to me that I went in prepared and familiar with the organization. I think that made a big impact.

Taylor: Talk about your first broadcast with the Hurricanes, it had some challenges didn’t it?

Chantel: I had a pretty wild ‘rookie initiation’ for my first broadcast. As I was about to interview Eric Staal on the bench, my stage light caught fire. I then went to interview the team’s owner, and the camera was unplugged and my IFB connection was gone, and I had no idea where the reverse camera was or what was happening in the show. Plus there were a bunch of kids and parents on the small platform we were using, unexpectedly, which made the situation even more challenging. I knew that the broadcast had it’s struggles with technical issues and me being so new, I just thought to myself that I have to hang on and use my frustration to really make the next show that much better…and that’s what I did.

Taylor: What has been the biggest thrill or surprise since starting your new job?

Chantel: I’m very fortunate to be here. I thought covering NHL hockey would be something that would happen several years in my future, not a year out of getting a sports management degree. I have a lot to learn but I am so pleasantly surprised by how fantastic the Hurricanes organization is. I was timid and unsure of myself at first, but the staff is so welcoming and this team is full of players who are down to earth and easy to approach which makes my job that much better.

Taylor: What were your feelings about having to move away from home to take this gig?

Chantel: I never thought I would leave New England but I couldn’t say no to this job. I really enjoy the Raleigh area, and might never leave now. I’ve always been very independent, so I don’t really get homesick. I miss seeing college hockey sometimes and wish my girl friends came down to visit more often, but once it gets warmer down here, I probably won’t be able to get them to leave!

Taylor: What advice would you have for someone trying to make it in broadcasting?

Chantel: What worked for me is I was willing to learn anything. I ran the ticker at NESN just two years ago, and just chipped away, learning what was going on around me. Every semester but one, I had an internship somewhere, missed a lot of nights with friends to cover games, and pioneered two broadcast internships in sports that have helped others gain experience. I never said no to a project because learning by doing really helps me. Did I want to cover every sorority event for my school’s paper, or log hours of MLB video? Not particularly, but the more you do, the more you know.

So, based on all the feedback here so far, perhaps

the real question is

"Who interviewed Ms. McCabe?"

ANSWER:

1) John Forslund,

2) the team’s broadcast director

3) the GM (assuming she's talking about JR).

01-04-13 Against the Maple Leafs...Now that was 100% better Chantel! I thought she had her best night by far, she was crisp, clear, and she seemed to be herself which was very much enjoyable to watch. It seemed like she relaxed and she made it look easy tonight. It was a total turnaround from what it was the first 7 games, proving that she indeed does have the talent. Just keep it simple and be yourself just like tonight and we will be smooth sailing :thumbsup: Let's Go Canes!

She's awful. Awful.

You can tell she has no hockey knowledge, either. For example, she was talking about Mike Rupp's first game after the trade and she called him "Michael Rupp." I get that she's just reading copy and that's his name, but I've never heard anyone call him Michael Rupp, always Mike Rupp.

And you can tell she's reading. She has a lifeless voice and pretty much has no clue what is going on.

I'll admit she was much better last night, definitely her best so far, still rough in spots though. She has to stop ending every player interview with "best of luck", and "how do you feel" and "that was an amazing goal". they are not all amazing Chantel.

Edited by danimal-ch1

Last night was a pivot point!

I think she did a good job and it appears to me she is gaining the knowledge needed.

I can now see her potential -- probably what they saw when they interviewed her.

Nice job Chantel. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

She needs experience. She's beautiful and looks good on camera, but not sure starting out your broadcasting career for an NHL team was a good choice by the Canes. Knowing someone in broadcasting for several years and trying to do it myself as a "guest" on a few occasions during my life, I will say it is TOUGH to be on camera AND look like you know what you're doing AND come across as excited, etc. The NHL would not be the ideal place to cut your teeth. Not her fault. Would you turn it down if you applied and they hired you? She just needs more experience.

Despite a slow start to the season, she had a pivot point a few nights back and I can now see tons of potential for her here with the Canes!

Two solid efforts in a row now under her belt.

Overall, at this stage, I'm very happy we rolled the dice and landed her!

I'm not seeing it.

I give her a chance to start and I usually wind up flipping the channel in embarrassment.

I'm not seeing it either. I cringe almost every time she opens her mouth, especially when reading the out of town scores. Never heard a broadcaster fumble around their words as much as she does.

We wait for our players to develop, shouldn't have to wait for our broadcasters to. IMO, she's gotta go.

I'm not seeing it either. I cringe almost every time she opens her mouth, especially when reading the out of town scores. Never heard a broadcaster fumble around their words as much as she does.

We wait for our players to develop, shouldn't have to wait for our broadcasters to. IMO, she's gotta go.

Ditto, since when does a major league sports broadcaster get to do there development internship with a major league team? Bad decision by Canes and though she's doing a little better she is far from a professional broadcaster like Bob Harwood was and the rest of the broadcasters around the league are.

Last night she called Crosby "Cindy Crosby", LOL.

actually,she wasnt far off on that one LOL

The part I wondered about,is why she had to read Mullers quote,it was on the screen long enough for everone to read.

That was just one of the things that seemed mistimed with the breaks and the resumption of play becuase I dont know how many times John had to cover for her by saying we will get back to Chantel in a moment

Edited by Carolinafan85

I forgot about the quote she wanted to read that took up the entire screen that I had already read before they went back to it. Not only went back to but we've heard SO MANY TIMES from Tripp about how Cam promised to come back stronger.

Her gaffs are embarassing to the fans and franchise. It's tough enough to get other franchises to get away from the southern yokels they think we are but when our sportscaster can't pronounce other player's names that's who gets to represent us.

What we need is Sucka's Punches to replace Chantel.

Edited by legend-1

Found this on twitter, let me know how you all feel about it.

Untitled-1_zpse6875b56.jpg

I had to take a screenshot because even non-twitter people need to see this.