The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Greg-N-Ral

Chantel McCabe

I myself think she is getting more comfortable/better with her job/interviews! Come on people give her sometime to get used to her new job! Going from wherever she was before,to the Canes in the NHL, I doubt she had to interview professionals day to day! Not sure how anyone else in her position would be able to handle what she has to do!

If she didn't have the experience then they shouldn't have hired her. I wonder what somebody in her position earns. Maybe they hired her because they couldn't afford to pay someobdy who is actually good.

She still asks moronic questions in interviews. Don't only watch hockey, but read up on it so you get a better idea of what fans may want to know, or what players would be able to actually talk on. I'm sick of the question "Tell us about that goal" "Well, jussi made a pass to me and I shot it and it went in" (along the lines of Pitkanen interview earlier this year.

Well "tell us about that goal" is a standard hockey question. Of course it almost ALWAYS gets the standard hockey answer:

"Well _______sy made a great play to get it to me. I just shot it and was fortunate it went in."

Just once I'd like to here:

"Yah, that's hockey baby. First I juked __________ out of his skates, then put a sick move on the goalie, and then, with great effort and even greater skill by me not only got the shot off, but put that sucker top shelf. That goalie will be seeing that one in his sleep, and you'll be seeing it on SportsCenter. Really great on my part. The team is lucky to have me."

Just once.

Edited by remkin

We don't care whatever your personal vendetta is against Chantel, can you please stop creating more user accounts.

Not trying to be mean, but both Chantel and the in-game girl that works with Ron the Ref are both pretty bad. Kudos to the Canes for giving these kids a break in the biz, but I have to assume that there is better talent out there. Grating voices, mis-pronounced names (Juicy Jokeinen was said in game the other night) and just plain nervousness are not what I'm looking for. PK needs to pay a little extra and get some experienced folks in these roles. Let these girls cut their teeth in the AHL

Watched the pregame for the first time in a month Saturday, got to the point Chantel asked Ronnie how playing in the NHL for over 3 decades was.....just went ahead and turned it off.

I can't get past her glaring lack of common sense that is magnified by her lack of hockey knowledge.

The games I've been too I haven't noticed the girl announcer. But then again I have a hard time paying attention to someone pushing a Andy's get fat grease burger in front of someone.

The games I've been too I haven't noticed the girl announcer.

Nobody is perfect.

Edited by wxray1

... mis-pronounced names (Juicy Jokeinen was said in game the other night)....

That was a complete facepalm moment.  My daughter and I were sitting just above them in section 129.  When she threw out "Juicy" I just buried my head in my hands.  My 16 year old daughter was incredulous, asking me "did she just say that?  She DIDN'T just say that, did she?"

In my opinion that's just sad.  To borrow a current saying; "you had one job".  She's getting paid to do in game promotion, she needs to at least know how to pronounce the names of the players.

you-had-one-job.jpg

I'm glad people are upset about names and stuff not being said correctly.

I've been furious with years with this orginzation for allowing people like this to continue their employment (how Brian Hoyle has a job is beyond me, that guy messes up so many names it's insane). It's downright embarassing.

You think that if you would have a mic in your hand, your job should be - especially in a sport like hockey with many foreign names - to get them right. How hard can it be?

If there is a worse combination of PA announcer, in game host and "sideline" reporter in pro sports, I'd love to hear them.

I don't notice Brian Hoyle messing up but I mean heres quote from his page

• What is the most difficult name to pronounce in the NHL?
  • The guy who just scored a goal against the Canes.

Look at the brightside, even after Tripp has been doing this for years, what would make him flip off the camera like he did with Bill Cower // give her some more time to get use to her new job! She isn't that bad!

I don't notice Brian Hoyle messing up but I mean heres quote from his page

• What is the most difficult name to pronounce in the NHL?
  • The guy who just scored a goal against the Canes.

He has been better this year, but he messed up Thomas Vanek in the first Buffalo game (Thomas Va-Neck) was what he said. In the past, I've heard Malkin, Ovechkin, Krechi and about 15 - 20 others messed up.

At one point it was honestly a screw up a week.

And don't even get me started on the delays in annoucning goals (at the all star game he was FOUR GOALS BEHIND at one time) or messing up penalties (it's a disaster when a goalie or team gets a penalty and someone serves it for him - I've heard him call the actual player on a bench minor two many men before).

Tripp did WHAT?!?!?

He didn't do it on purpose but when he was interviewing Cower he was holding his mic and used his middle finger to point and it looked like he was just showing his middle finger(sideways) but was still pretty funny!

I took a pic on my TV but I'm sure I would get in trouble if I posted Tripps middle finger pic!

Edited by djharley

I'm probably all alone here but I hate Ron the Ref. Amber Sersen's name is annoying enough. And Chantel still hasn't had one broadcast without multiple facepalm moments.

Chantel is hot,but she still sounds like she doesnt know what she is talking about,and is very unprofessional and nervous

And is it just me,or does some intervews with the players and coachs seem akward and forced, sometimes they have to cut into her interview with muller during gameplay,why dont they wait untill intermission to show that ?

And her out of town score review is also dreadful,you are just waiting for her to get a score,or player wrong,and the other night she said "With the road team leading",but she didnt mention who the road team is

My solution,send her down to cover the Checkers,and let Tripp do the interviews like before,he may say some off the wall things sometimes,but atleast you know he knows what he is talking about.