The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Greg-N-Ral

Chantel McCabe

I'm probably all alone here but I hate Ron the Ref. Amber Sersen's name is annoying enough. And Chantel still hasn't had one broadcast without multiple facepalm moments.

No you are not alone.  I find his mannerisms to be the same as a stereotypical used car dealer

The interview shows that really she's just a kid (as we old people say).  Blame JR for allowing such a young inexperienced hire on a major pro team if you are all mad.

That said, I saw steady improvement from her during the season.  She has potential.  Too bad her growth was at our expense.  We all go through something like this professionally.  For media, it is usually in a hidden market.  Even then, you cannot always hide: ask the guy who's first two words on the air were major naughties.

So she'll be back.  She should be better.  I think I can survive with her.  I was still kind of hoping for someone like Anson Carter, recently seen at the Worlds coverage.  He lives in Atlanta.  He has personality and knows hockey from the inside. 

Hey, Chantel has her gaffs, but at least she didn't say the players were having "a tremendous amount of sex" like the girl in Chicago (top 3 market!) did recently.  They let her go after that one...

I am still not impressed. If you asked her to name all the teams in our division I bet she could not do it. She needs to get some hockey knowledge and stop relying on cue cards.

My wife noticed that she wears glasses when the team is away and doesn't when the team is home. I guess fake glasses are in fashion.

Still not sold on her.

My wife noticed that she wears glasses when the team is away and doesn't when the team is home. I guess fake glasses are in fashion.

Still not sold on her.

sometimes she wears too much make-up for my tastes.  but the eye-wear seem to be promotions for Eye-wear Associates 

Bless her heart, I know she's trying hard, but she's just not smooth when she talks.  She leaves words out of her sentences and tries to ad-lib, but it doesn't always work out for her.  She has improved for sure and she'll likely get smoother and more eloquent with time and experience, but for now, she's definitely rough.

Man Chantel's new stylist has her looking really good this year, big improvement there.  Also gotta give her credit for major improvements all around.  It still seems like she doesn't know too much about hockey and isn't that passionate about it but at least her personality and word flow has gotten way better.  those twitter interviews she's really cute and does well.  good job Chantel.

A quick note on the glasses. She wears the glasses when she's reading from a prompter. When she's standing around or interviewing players on the fly, she usually takes them off. I'm not sure if they're just for looks or not...? 

I suspect she got the gig for two reasons.....cute, and probably working for a LOT less than a pro like Harwood. 

Im on the side of saying greatly improved, and think she's cutie when she wears those glasses... Best of luck to her...

Edited by PamlicoPuck

Canes Country is reporting Chantel McCabe won't be back

CanesCountry

sideline reporter Chantel McCabe will not be back with the team next season, the team confirmed to CanesCountry.com.

The job has been posted here