The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
legend-1

Selecting A Satelite Provider

Hey guys I think I'm about ready to cut ties with TWC. Tired of my bill going up yearly unpredictably and trying to figure out if Dish or Direct TV is better?

I can't see if either service provides Fox Sports South out of the box or not and that's bugging me.

Recomendations? I heard Direct TV randomly blacks out Canes games?

DirecTV is better here in Ohio. Not sure if that helps any though.

When I lived in Raleigh a while ago, we had Dish and that was a nightmare. They probably have changed quite a bit but I would never go back to it.

I've only ever had DTV so I'm not really any help. My bill is always the same and every time you call in there's a promo of some sort to give credit to your bill. They're all about bringing in new accounts but they'll pretty do anything to keep you as an old one. I really don't have any complaints about their service because they have a whole department called 'customer retention' dedicated to resolving any issues for established customers. Like any other company though, you have to get through their lower tier customer service people first but if you insist on being transfered from the start, they'll do it.

Good luck.

^^^^^ What he/she said. I've had DirecTv since 1998 and the Sports and Center Ice packages. Don't remember too many problems when I lived in Raleigh. I'm in Utah now and the only thing they blackout is home Coyotes games, even though I live 500 miles away from PHX.??? Remember that no matter what service you have, the NHL sets the rules on blackouts, not the TV companies.

I would go with DirecTV,I have had Charter,DirecTV and Dish Network and has far has television and customer support goes,Direct is the best IMO

Edited by Carolinafan85

Hey guys I think I'm about ready to cut ties with TWC. Tired of my bill going up yearly unpredictably and trying to figure out if Dish or Direct TV is better?

I can't see if either service provides Fox Sports South out of the box or not and that's bugging me.

Recomendations? I heard Direct TV randomly blacks out Canes games?

I had both Dish and TWC. Dish will nickel and dime you to death, you think you are getting a good deal until you see the billion charges on your bill. I would try calling TWC and ask them what promotions you are qualified for, you can knock your bill down a bit for a year most of the time. It was funny when I cut my cable from my TWC (still use their internet because there is no other option) I got non-stop offers to return as a cable customer. Maybe if you cancel or threaten to cancel they will hook you up with a deal

(sad that it has to come to that though).

I had Direct from 1998 to about 2 years ago when I switched to Dish.

Unless you want the Sunday Ticket for Football - Dish network blows Direct TV out of the water.

Much better pricing, I have found better quality and less loss of service during storms and the biggest differece is by far in customer service. Directv customer service just plain sucks.

I appreciate all your time and advice.

What made me mad with TWC is they had the kahunas to send me a letter about how they were cutting my bill 20$. In reality it was a 6$ increase, then about 14$ increases all the small things like boxes and remotes etc.

They've put the bill back to where it is, but I'm tired of other companies offering DVR for free and TWC charging 12$ a box monthly for it.

What Coastal said is what worries me, if Dish charges for FSC then it's a headache to switch over and it winds up not being a deal.

Edited by legend-1

I appreciate all your time and advice.

What made me mad with TWC is they had the kahunas to send me a letter about how they were cutting my bill 20$. In reality it was a 6$ increase, then about 14$ increases all the small things like boxes and remotes etc.

They've put the bill back to where it is, but I'm tired of other companies offering DVR for free and TWC charging 12$ a box monthly for it.

What Coastal said is what worries me, if Dish charges for FSC then it's a headache to switch over and it winds up not being a deal.

Coastal said Directv charges to get Fox Sports not Dish, Dish does not.

Recommendations? I heard Direct TV randomly blacks out Canes games?

Here in the Raleigh market, the only blackouts I have experienced is the feed of opposing team's broadcasters on CI. The only complaint is they move the Canes' feed around on the CI stations but now they have kept the FS-NC feed fairly consistent on 645.

No complaints about customer service. Only complaint is that I lose service during heavy storms.

Coastal said Directv charges to get Fox Sports not Dish, Dish does not.

Well, I checked and I was wrong. The regional sports networks like FSC are included in all but their basic package. So, the cheapest looks like $64.99 to get FSC on DTV.

Edited by coastal_caniac

sorry to dig this one out of the grave but I do not have enough posts to start a topic and it is related. We are going to be moving out of TWC territory and can only get sat service now and I have been leaning towards directv however I want to make sure I can still get all the canes games. I will be in Chapel Hill and I see they show FSSO but I do not see FSC which I am accustomed to with TWC so I want a dummy version of how they broadcast with directv so I know how it will work.

Thanks!

I've had DTV for years and get all the games.  I have the add on sports pack that gives you somewhere around 20 regional sports networks like MSG, NESN and CSN so that might be why I get both FSS and FSC.  The majority of Canes games are on FSS, only a few have been on FSC.

Not sure if I helped or not.