The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
dinz

Alex Semin: Extended for 5 years/CONFIRMED

The talk before Semin played a game here, was that he was lazy, so far from that being the truth...Both offensively and defensive side.. totally complete player.. Agreed on the comments on Ellis and Cam.. I expect a very good effort from Cammer tonight..

The talk before Semin played a game here, was that he was lazy, so far from that being the truth...Both offensively and defensive side.. totally complete player.. Agreeded on the comments on Ellis and Cam.. I expect a very good effort from Cammer tonight..

Not to change the subject to Semin, but I think he is finally being challenged by his coach to do more than score.

Last season with the Caps, you saw glimpses of what we are seeing now when he played under Dale Hunter. Hunter wanted more out of Semin and he responded.

I'm certainly glad that he Canes spent a ton of time researching everything there was know about Semin and I couldn't be any happier that they gave him the chance to prove what kind of a player he really is. I'd give it a couple of more weeks and if he's still playing as he is now, give him the extension he deserves. He's an extraordinary talent and the Canes got lucky on this one.

I honestly want him extended regardless of his statistics. I don't want to have him for a year and then whisked away by a big market team that probably should've signed him instead of us.

For the first time, we can spread our proven scoring talent around now. If we never signed Semin, think of how differently we may be using Jordan this season. And on Jordan, he's got a huge reach and can really break up plays in style. His chemistry with Skinner is showing.

People see us acquiring Eric's brother and assume it's all for him, but then we sign Semin who really was all for Eric. Jordan, IMO, was brought in for Skinner. He has a true center next to him after Ruutu and Jokinen shifting that position last year. We may not win the Cup this year (and we may, remains to be seen :P) but fans have to acknowledge just how well Rutherford did last offseason after missing on the big names everyone was talking about (Parise, Suter, Doan, etc). I think everyone was caught up in how does this make our team better now (which it drastically did) and not really focus on how will these moves make our team better down the road as well.

It may be easier to say Jordan did that, which it did, with that 10 year extension. But Semin, if he continues to play as complete as this, could finally solidify a top-3 wing position (which IMO hasn't been filled since both Erik Cole eras). Because of Semin's different circumstances, his extension (which I believe is coming) will take longer to get hammered out.

*inhales* Why do I type so much?

*exhales* I'm still going what's wrong with me?

Also think about our club trying to attract bigger names down the road. I'm pretty sure a top 3 or 6 forward FA looking at our lineup now compared to last season's will be more inclined to think about it at the very least. A top line spot with Eric Staal and Alexander Semin sounds pretty impressive, and who wouldn't want to play with those two? And if someone takes that spot, you got your chance with Jordan Staal and Jeff Skinner. Think about that. One more highly skilled forward in our top-6 and I daresay we'd be pretty scary (on paper at least). And the cool thing about this? We don't even need another top-6 forward. I'd say our forward needs are a top-9 secondary scorer. Or someone underachieving in a top-6 spot to bring to our top-9.

I'm hoping Dalpe and Bowman start scoring, but honestly our secondary scoring is non-existent.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

And i think this is the best backckecking [due to semin and J. staal] that we have done in awhile.. I got a hunch about Jordan tonight :thumbsup:

Unless a bigger team offers him a fatter contract after this season, I doubt that he will leave us...in fact, I think JR is gonna try to get a new contract knocked out before free agency even begins.

Semin with the puck is just fun to watch. I really hope that we keep him.

And he creates so much room for Eric in the offensive zone, including some nice set-ups. Think he's a big reason for Eric's "early" season goal scoring success.

Semin's awesome and one of our best additions in franchise history. I don't beieive a word of the negativity that was said about him. All it takes is one person to say something than it spreads like wildfire and everyone believes it.

Semin was a distraction in Washington? A cancer in the locker room?

I think the cancer/distraction wears #8 for the Craps!

Semin was a distraction in Washington? A cancer in the locker room?

I think the cancer/distraction wears #8 for the Craps!

Amen, I have been in the DC area for years and that was always the story - Alex #8 good, Alex #28(or whatever he was on the Caps bad,lazy,etc.) The Caps and their fans are beginning to see the true colors of their leader especially since Semin is not around to blame and the three coaches over the past couple of seasons. I think the Semin story also stuck since he did not talk to the media or really care what was going on in the stories. Always easier to blame the whipping boy that does not talk than look in the mirror to see the true mess the Caps are.

Went back to look at our Semin talk back in June-August. Lots of interesting comments. Kind of starts here. Well that's when I jumped in anyway, but goes on for pages.

2012 Off Season Thread

At the end of the day we got it right. The consensus built and we enlisted TSA to go to JR and inform him that we has spoken:

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

"Well we have a clear consensus. TSA if you could inform JR, the board had spoken and we want Semin. " ----remkin

And thankfully TSA did just that, and the rest is history. (Well it's early yet but it is looking good).

I want to thank these guys, especially McGuire for driving the demand down on Semin. So far they seem just a tad off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6jRXaKZz44

(originally brought to us by Jerome87)

Edited by remkin

Awesome research remkin, so glad I have that much influence on JR because clearly I know best. :lol:

:sarcasm:

Seriously, the board did get this one right. Now...if we can only come up with a unanimous plan for goaltending. As if..........

Semin has his own thread on the Caps board! 1st goal scored for the canes etc, etc. The main feeling is that they miss his plays! On XM radio this morning they were asking if the drop off in Ovechkins play is a result of losing Semin.

On the Caps boards, some fans are suggesting the Ovie was on steroids when he was invincible

to play against :dizzy: ......I think I prefer the minus Semin theory!!

Semin has his own thread on the Caps board! 1st goal scored for the canes etc, etc. The main feeling is that they miss his plays! On XM radio this morning they were asking if the drop off in Ovechkins play is a result of losing Semin.

On the Caps boards, some fans are suggesting the Ovie was on steroids when he was invincible

to play against :dizzy: ......I think I prefer the minus Semin theory!!

I'm just glad they're keeping all that drama on their board ;)

I think the key to Semin being on board and fighting off all the things we have heard about him is his play on the PK. He told Muller he wanted PK time and to be honest, if I was picking a forward to play the PK, he is probably my 12th option. Not known for his defense skills, can't win faceoffs and you don't want to waste his energy on a PK when you want him to score.

But Muller said sure and puts him out there. It's a lot like Erik Cole when he was here and on the PK - he was a much better player when he was involved in all aspects of the game - I think it's a mental thing - staying involved in it, being trusted, etc.

So far, I've been beyond thrilled with the Semin experiement. Everyone around him, mainly Eric Staal, is a better player.

Everyone around him, mainly Eric Staal, is a better player.

Absolutooinlutely!

That alone is worth the price of Semin. Perhaps unlike another superstar who is Russian and plays in Washington, E. LOVES his new life with, what? what was that we got? What was that some were calling for since the dark ages? Oh, what was that? Could it be...

A FIRST LINE WINGER????

Staal is a new man now that he has comparable talent to play off of and he is liberated and it shows. Synergy.

(Also, Semin's stats have always shown he makes his linemates better)

And on that note our first line has a combined PLUS 21. And Mr. worst in the leauge last year plus minus Staal is way out front of that issue this year. Leading the team at PLUS 8 (and THIRD in the NHL) thank you very much.

And BTW given Semin's affect on Staal and the fact that the first line is carrying this team, wonder where we'd be without Semin right about now?

We gave up our #8 draft pick and have sent down or waived or traded our pipeline of forwards. Not like we've got a superstar-in-waiting somewhere. So just find a way to sign this man. Give him a sweet multi year deal, just don't give him a NTC and we'll be fine. If he loses it or slides back, trade him for an 8th round pick.

So ya, Semin was a good pick up.

And I just cannot say this enough. Thank you Washington!!! We've given sooo much to Pittsburgh for what they gave us, i just feel bad we haven't gotten you anything.

Edited by remkin

Absolutooinlutely!

That alone is worth the price of Semin. Perhaps unlike another superstar who is Russian and plays in Washington, E. LOVES his new life with, what? what was that we got? What was that some were calling for since the dark ages? Oh, what was that? Could it be...

A FIRST LINE WINGER????

Staal is a new man now that he has comparable talent to play off of and he is liberated and it shows. Synergy.

(Also, Semin's stats have always shown he makes his linemates better)

And on that note our first line has a combined PLUS 21. And Mr. worst in the leauge last year plus minus Staal is way out front of that issue this year. Leading the team at PLUS 8 (and THIRD in the NHL) thank you very much.

And BTW given Semin's affect on Staal and the fact that the first line is carrying this team, wonder where we'd be without Semin right about now?

We gave up our #8 draft pick and have sent down or waived or traded our pipeline of forwards. Not like we've got a superstar-in-waiting somewhere. So just find a way to sign this man. Give him a sweet multi year deal, just don't give him a NTC and we'll be fine. If he loses it or slides back, trade him for an 8th round pick.

So ya, Semin was a good pick up.

And I just cannot say this enough. Thank you Washington!!! We've given sooo much to Pittsburgh for what they gave us, i just feel bad we haven't gotten you anything.

Agree, agree, agree!! On offense, Semin seems to create so much room for Eric. Everybody cannot clamped down on Staal with Semin skating around. Unfortunately for Semin, I believe he is leading the league in hitting posts. Against Toronto, I think he clanked the metal 3 or 4 times to Eric's twice. Alexander Semin has been a wonderful surprise as a total player, while he and Eric seem to be developing more and more chemistry. It would be nice if JR could ink him for a few more years before the trade deadline.

Great read, I'm really glad the National media is noticing. I hope JR signs him to an extension and Marc Crawford and Pierre McGuire get made to look like the complete fools they sounded like when the bashed Semin.

Carolina always seems to be a haven for beat down players needing a change of scenery. I have no problem with Raleigh being known as the island of misfit toys.

I hate to be a 'Debbie Downer' but lets not get too excited about Semin just yet. He is having a fantastic influence on the team and organization thus far. He truly seems to be the missing piece we've been waiting for. But much like the earlier comparison to Cole, Semin could also fade into obscurity once a multi-year contract is signed. Lets face it, that was Cole's M.O. - he'd only show up for those contract seasons, but when future money wasn't an issue he was complacent and seemingly unmotivated. I hope it doesn't become a habit for Semin as well (it would validate the outside criticism), but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it did. We still don't really know anything about him or his personality yet (which is hard to learn since he is so recluse).

Even if you don't agree about Cole fitting that description, you know of other players out there who are like that. And not just in the NHL, in all sports. Semin could be one of those guys and it would break our hearts. So, keep that in mind before you spend your Caniac allowance on that Semin jersey.

Not over over paying and not having a NTC would be key.

The thing is, when was the last time we spent some jack on a truly top flight free agent? Not likely to happen again, and plus there's usually only a couple out there at any time. See last year.

Add to that the fact that we traded our #8 pick, and our highest remaining draft pick is a dman. So we're not likely to reload quickly if Semin walks. And I don't see this team as a contender without him.

Oh and how long have we waited for this first line winger to unlock E?

Sure the guy has downside risk to be sure, but given our situation, I'd try to lock him down.

Edited by remkin