The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
dinz

Alex Semin: Extended for 5 years/CONFIRMED

I don't think he will be able to disappear. Semin was used differently in DC. Here he's a top line lock, and he has a bigger role than just goalscoring. I think this is this situation he wants to be in, and I doubt he'll disappear after he gets an extension.

Another thing fans need to realize is players aren't going to be the best 100% of the time, just like you aren't going to win every game. Some may be playing through injuries, some my go through ruts. We of all team's fans should know about that. So when Semin goes through his first rut in Carolina, I'll be severely disappointed if people go "See! They were right!"

I don't think he will be able to disappear. Semin was used differently in DC. Here he's a top line lock, and he has a bigger role than just goalscoring. I think this is this situation he wants to be in, and I doubt he'll disappear after he gets an extension.

Another thing fans need to realize is players aren't going to be the best 100% of the time, just like you aren't going to win every game. Some may be playing through injuries, some my go through ruts. We of all team's fans should know about that. So when Semin goes through his first rut in Carolina, I'll be severely disappointed if people go "See! They were right!"

:applaud:

I'm all for extending him, now that we have a taste of what he brings. And I don't want to lose him in a year or two, I'd like to see him take place as a cornerstone of the franchise. But, I just want to keep a clear head about him as he does have potential to do a couple hurtful things (leave for money or leave for home). If that were to happen, everyone would be extremely disappointed and I don't want Raleigh to become the suicide capital of the world.

I believe he played for a minor team during the lockout for minimal pay, so I don't think it'd about the money with Semin. Also, he asked if he could be on the PK. I think he wants to be an "all round" player and not just known for scoring goals. He has made some great defensive plays for us. We will see if he fades in and out of games, but even though Pitkanen is playing well, he is the ultimate for fading in and out during the season.

I think Semin is awesome, and a good character guy.

As Caps fan I'm really glad Semin is doing fine with Cans. When it was know that he doesn't stay with Caps, I really hoped that he'll be with Red Wings. Now I see that Canes seems to know what to do with him. He was left without center for adequate center for two, three season. Many shouted back then trade Semin, so it happened. There were moments when I was a bit disappointed, too. I'm sure it won't always rosy here, but watching his talent is a real fun,

You are right, RavenCP, he's probably the most exciting Hurricane to watch. We're happy to have him and any input you might have is very welcome!

Edited by jb_online

You are right, RavenCP, he's probably the most exciting Hurricane to watch. We're happy to have him and any input you might have is very welcome!

Thanks jb_online! As a fan of hockey, I'm going to watch your games! Like I do watch some games of Red Wings because of Pavel Datsyuk. When I watch your game with Toronto, it came across that Semin was good at both ends, and it reminded me Pavel. Not every game he scores, but every game he makes his team better. Everyone finds own something in hockey, for me it skills and hardworking. Time will pass and we'll remember those great players.

I can admit that occasionally Semin did take day offs, but our fans mostly exaggerated it.

One thing that I have noticed about Semin is that it looks like he is enjoying playing with the Canes. Even when he used to score against us with the Caps he didn't really seem to get that smile on his face and celebrating with his team mates like he does here. Hopefully if they keep going as they are HE WILL WANT TO STAY HERE and be willing to sign a new contract!!

I pulled some posts from the board this past summer about Semin... some nice, some not so!

POSITIVE

Red_storm: Whew, all the angst over Semin and inconsistent play. Last season he had the worst season of his post lockout profesional career and played decent minutes on the Caps third line and........those scoring numbers would have placed him second on the Canes in goals last season.

Bill_B: The Canes should just try to sign Semin right now while the other teams are waiting on Doan, Nash, and Ryan.

Remkin: I know those of us pushing for Semin will have a huge steaming bowl of crow just waiting to be eaten if it all blows up, but no guts no glory. Take the risk.

Mercury-VII: I wish we could either sign Semin for 1-2 years, or trade for Bobby Ryan.

Remkin: Just sign Semin already.

SuckaPunchd: Signing Semin could potentially make us that much more competitive to be considered a post-season achieving team,

Greg-N-Ral: Canes still lack a in-his-prime winger with a lightning-quick release and accuracy. JR, please go get Semin already!!

Blinding: I would say the Semin deal is a must,

Jfive: What's the big deal about Semin? I see a potentially PPG player with as much skill as Parise if not more.

Category5: go after Semin and get rid of somebody lower on our depth chart.

bluedevil58: I'm all on board with Semin.

KypBaker: The Semin idea really started to grow on me

Greg-N-Ral: If Semin signs here, it’s time for Caniac Nation to go the extra yard and make him feel welcomed. That kind of stuff really seems to matter to him.

NOT AS POSITIVE

jeromeo87: My thinking: Semin going anywhere but Detroit is a bad idea.

TSA: 3 years for Semin is a huge risk imo.

Super_Dave_1: He's got the skill, but there is an obvious issue with his noggin'.

Sidney_Fisher: What if Semin is a bad locker room guy and we sign him? I wonder if a Semin signing could reverse the desire then for top players to come here?

AWACSooner: The Semin deal is not a must...it's a nice to have. We can still be a playoff caliber team next season without him.

patreilly5763: offer that to Semin, and its a no brainer he's a cane next year. but honestly i don't think we need him i think we have a playoff caliber team as it stands now.

rocheccw: I still like Ryan a ton more than Semin, but the Canes don't have the assets to trade.

caniac6: I don't dispute Semin's talent,..... Sometimes pure talent is not the most important thing,

TSA: 4 years for Semin??? Eeks

jeromeo87: Am I the only one here that really doesn't want Semin, for obvious reasons?

ManWolf: I hate Semin, but like several of the other names mentioned (on list)

rocheccw: not sold on JR going after Semin.

Just goes to show, JR really does know what he's doing and you shouldn't believe all the rumors about a player. ;)

Yay I'm in the positives! I also would like to point out I vehemently called the JR acquiring J. Staal at the draft.

And go_canes_go! I'd add Cory Stillman to that list. And I'm guessing you're going with more recent acquisitions, otherwise we'd need Wesley, Brindy, Francis, etc. on that list as well. I was very disgruntled when we let both Recchi and Weight go. They were the two guys we acquired that put us from playoff team to cup winning team that year.

I'm itching to get that Semin jersey. And if he continues to play well I might just take a leap of faith and get that jersey before an extension is made.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I pulled some posts from the board this past summer about Semin... some nice, some not so!

ManWolf: I hate Semin, but like several of the other names mentioned (on list)

...but now I love the guy. Something about the uniform, I don't know. :)

Just goes to show, JR really does know what he's doing and you shouldn't believe all the rumors about a player. ;)

But to be fair... JR even mentioned the possible issues that we were all hearing about Semin, and one reason he only signed him for 1 year.

But yeah, he does know what he's doing. (I was baiting the board on another thread recently about JR, but it was just to get discussion. I got none.)

With him being another key cog in a win tonight, his stock continues to rise. It will be interesting to see what the next step with Semin that JR makes.

But to be fair... JR even mentioned the possible issues that we were all hearing about Semin, and one reason he only signed him for 1 year.

But yeah, he does know what he's doing. (I was baiting the board on another thread recently about JR, but it was just to get discussion. I got none.)

With him being another key cog in a win tonight, his stock continues to rise. It will be interesting to see what the next step with Semin that JR makes.

Well....he is the perfect line mate for Staal. Just look at Eric's production. This guy is the perfect fit. This signing was a complete success. You sign this guy to a mid to long-term deal and you sign him now. It's hard to find a player that fits right in with Eric and produces at a high level. The question is: Does he like it here?

Like said before. Us as fans need to make him feel like he is truly welcomed. Cheer for him any chance you get. Make him feel as though he is an integral part of this team. Because he really is. He is producing at a very high level. He is also playing solid D. This guy is a +6 on a bad defensive team people. What more can you really ask for? What an off season gus. Semin and Jordan are both producing. I am very happy.

Edited by bluedevil58

Like said before. Us as fans need to make him feel like he is truly welcomed. Cheer for him any chance you get. Make him feel as though he is an integral part of this team. Because he really is. He is producing at a very high level. He is also playing solid D. This guy is a +6 on a bad defensive team people. What more can you really ask for? What an off season gus. Semin and Jordan are both producing. I am very happy.

This may be just a small gesture, but maybe some fans can make signs in Russian for the home games, as long as Tripp isn't the one translating for us.

The interesting thing is he has only scored 2 goals so far but we all love him. that means he is an awesome all around player and we all see it and know the goals are coming. Nothing better than getting an awesome well rounded smart hockey player thats also a sniper and can put up 50 goals in a season.

Agreed. The guy is working his tail off. Back checking, play making, etc. Just goes to show you that a couple of "know it all" announcers can label you and sometimes you can't shake it. Even Dale Hunter stated he had no idea where all the talk about Semin being lazy or not a team guy was coming from. Glad we got him. When he stops hitting posts, he'll score in bunches! :)

The Canes really did their homework. I posted a great article a while ago where a guy did a serious breakdown of Semin's affect on his linemates and his defensive play. Bottom line: 1. Players almost always play better w/ Semin on their line offensively AND DEFENSIVELY. That is is actual statistical history. 2. Semin has always played two ways. That is statistical history.

Sure fans claim he takes plays off, etc, and there may be something to taking the occasional less than idea penalty, but this man has put up 40 goals, passes, controls and possesses the puck, back checks and has been at the top of his team in plus minus for multiple years. And he can "make the puck dance". He is a blast to watch. He used to scare the mess out of me when he played us.

The only question was locker room. And that might still go south, but there was just as big of a chance he was misunderstood, and there was very very little chance he would not be a serious upgrade on the ice. This was a classic risk reward that I thought was obvious, yet it seemed that few other GMS took the chance and JR deserves credit for pulling that trigger. And we gave up no players or picks for him. I am hoping he really likes it here, because we need to lock that down.

Edited by remkin

The only question was locker room. And that might still go south, but there was just as big of a chance he was misunderstood, and there was very very little chance he would not be a serious upgrade on the ice. This was a classic risk reward that I thought was obvious, yet it seemed that few other GMS took the chance and JR deserves credit for pulling that trigger. And we gave up no players or picks for him. I am hoping he really likes it here, because we need to lock that down.

The best thing after his goal last night was watching him, E. Staal and the rest of the boys smiling and chatting on the bench. He seems to fit in fine and I am still a 100% believer that the issue in DC was another winger from Russia. I see no issues at all up to this point. We need to break tradition once again and lock this dude up for several years before the season ends.