The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
dinz

Alex Semin: Extended for 5 years/CONFIRMED

Semin and E. Staal seem to be developing quite a chemistry. Just wish he had three other lines with such a fit. I would love to see the Canes give opposing teams 60 minutes of hell.

Here is more proof that E. Staal & Semin are clicking:

Plus/Minus +/-

1. E. Staal CAR 12

2. A. Semin CAR 11

3. S. Koivu ANA 11

They are number 1 & 2 in the NHL :thumbsup2:

Edited by caniac_fan

Semin >>>>>LaRose

Semin unlocks Staal (and Tlusty). The minute teams give him a half an inch more he is going to start lighting the lamp alot. A couple fewer goalposts and the headlines will be all about Semin's resurgence.

For some reason Semin managed to squire a lot of negative press. JR managed to look past that baggage and sign the guy to a one year deal. If the Canes wind up in playoff after a four year drought, he needs to be signed to a long term deal.

I check out Bleacher Report regularly. It's interesting but I always keep it in perspective that it's basically a fan blog. There have been several lists of "free agent disappointments" that Semin has been on simply because he hasn't scored a bushel basket of goals. Those folks see the box scores and don't watch the games. The guy has been a force on the ice.

Thought Bleacher Reports was by professional sports journalists. Do they have professional articles and a "fan-based" blog? They just replaced Sports Illustrated for CNN's sports coverage.

Edited by Bill_B

At first Bleacher report was open to anyone but nowadays still unpaid writers have to go through a screening process to post their blogs.

It's interesting to have different perspectives but BR rarely offers insider information.

It's like an exclusive club for people who want to blog and are decent at it.

Edited by legend-1

Semin has been so strong on the puck, boards, and is a complete 2-way player (that I never saw in DC). Its almost like they told him up there, "You're a sniper, go in there and shoot, and let everyone feed you the puck, then come to the bench." He came here, coach told him I want you to be better defensively, Semin asked for PK duties......he comes alive. Looks more like a "I got the puck, try and come get it with all your D", make them fail, pass to Staal GOAL. Or, even if they get the puck from him, he strips it, passes to Staal....GOAL. Or Staal is covered too good....Tlusty Goal....or recently, "Coach told me to shoot more, I shoot puck." Goal!!! What a line this is, and what a player the Capitals got rid of. I am friends with a lot of Caps fans(I grew up in DC), and they said that Semin brought the whole team down, took too many stupid penalties, etc. I saw Semin take a bad penalty in his premier, but ever since......watching him and Staal smile at one another after a good shift....I thought, maybe all my ex-DC Cronies were wrong. I think that the Capitals never let him play the game he wanted to play, and now he is. My guess is that he stays because he wants to, not because we had to pay him some unworldly amount. Then, I just hope that his play continues on this level once he is signed to a real deal in this organization. He is undoubtedly the player this team so desperately needed since the Cup. Don't let him go.

As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, Semin needed to be challenged. All top notch players need that to push them to be better players. You did see glimpses of this late last season under Dale Hunter. He pushed Semin to play defense, not just be a sniper and he responded in a positive manner. He looks like he is enjoying himself here, having fun and being forced to be a better 2 way player.

Semin has been so strong on the puck, boards, and is a complete 2-way player (that I never saw in DC). Its almost like they told him up there, "You're a sniper, go in there and shoot, and let everyone feed you the puck, then come to the bench." He came here, coach told him I want you to be better defensively, Semin asked for PK duties......he comes alive. Looks more like a "I got the puck, try and come get it with all your D", make them fail, pass to Staal GOAL. Or, even if they get the puck from him, he strips it, passes to Staal....GOAL. Or Staal is covered too good....Tlusty Goal....or recently, "Coach told me to shoot more, I shoot puck." Goal!!! What a line this is, and what a player the Capitals got rid of. I am friends with a lot of Caps fans(I grew up in DC), and they said that Semin brought the whole team down, took too many stupid penalties, etc. I saw Semin take a bad penalty in his premier, but ever since......watching him and Staal smile at one another after a good shift....I thought, maybe all my ex-DC Cronies were wrong. I think that the Capitals never let him play the game he wanted to play, and now he is. My guess is that he stays because he wants to, not because we had to pay him some unworldly amount. Then, I just hope that his play continues on this level once he is signed to a real deal in this organization. He is undoubtedly the player this team so desperately needed since the Cup. Don't let him go.

Every once and a while, I wish that there was a "like" button on the individual posts. This was one of them fpsndiver.

Guess they must be serving a huge buffet of crow up there in the TSN newsroom.

:crow:

Yes TSA, they must be serving a huge portion of crow, about the size of yours!!!!

TSA: "4 years for Semin??? Eeks"

I'd be more than happy to eat some crow and couldn't be any more pleased with what Alex Semin has brought to the this team but regarding my comment last summer, I stand by it. 4 years was big gamble to take on a player that even though he has elite talent, he hadn't been a game changer for his previous team. Not to mention he hadn't even stepped into the Canes locker room yet so there was no way to know what his effect on the Canes would be. So far he's shown that he is a game changer and given the right team mates and opportunities, he will excel and make everyone around him a better player. If this continues, 4 years will be a great investment on a player with his talent and at his age.

Its fun to look back at comments in hindsight, especially when the outcome is a positive one like this but when they're taken out of context, some can look pretty funny.

Guess they must be serving a huge buffet of crow up there in the TSN newsroom.

:crow:

Hi folks... However you want to take it, a lot of TSN/NBC guys (especially McGuire/Milbury) dumped on Semin a lot, and I would tell you that it had a lot to do with him playing in DC.

You guys have an incredibly skilled guy in Sasha who yes, DOES play D. Most of the innane rants by Caps fans were unfounded. People always expected more from him because of his exceptional skill. His stupid penalties were more of the tantrum variety because of frustration, not because he was lazy or didn't care. A lot of criticism also came because he didn't care about talking to the media, which I always liked.

I wish him success... and the Canes failure. :grin:

Cheers.

Hi folks... However you want to take it, a lot of TSN/NBC guys (especially McGuire/Milbury) dumped on Semin a lot, and I would tell you that it had a lot to do with him playing in DC.

You guys have an incredibly skilled guy in Sasha who yes, DOES play D. Most of the innane rants by Caps fans were unfounded. People always expected more from him because of his exceptional skill. His stupid penalties were more of the tantrum variety because of frustration, not because he was lazy or didn't care. A lot of criticism also came because he didn't care about talking to the media, which I always liked.

I wish him success... and the Canes failure. :grin:

Cheers.

Welcome OldHat. The TSN guys didn't just critique the player but they actually went on an all out character assault on Alex Semin. I'm just glad that Alex Semin is getting the opportunity to finally silence his critics and the fact that its benefiting the Canes is a huge bonus for us. If ever there was a player that desperately needed a change scenery, it was Alex Semin.

Welcome OldHat. The TSN guys didn't just critique the player but they actually went on an all out character assault on Alex Semin. I'm just glad that Alex Semin is getting the opportunity to finally silence his critics and the fact that its benefiting the Canes is a huge bonus for us. If ever there was a player that desperately needed a change scenery, it was Alex Semin.

Yeah I know, I watched them do it. It was pretty bad and hugely unprofessional.

Welcome to the forum, OldHat. I can see how what you say is true, about Semin and his environment. It seems that being in Washington, D.C. with Ovechkin meant a lot of media attention and pressure to do everything he did or you'd be considered 'less accessible' or rude. Semin seems more like an introverted person, especially considering he's in a foreign country and doesn't speak much English. The good thing about him coming to Raleigh (personally) is that here the media gives players a lot more room and obviously we are not a major media market like DC. I think he has taken note that he has fewer microphones in his face and more privacy than ever, since he came to America. I don't mean that as an insult to your home, just an observation that some people are just more comfortable in slower, more laid back areas.

I don't know any of that as fact, but I would imagine that I would be the same way - needing a small market to be mentally comfortable as a professional athlete.

Alright, I'm still loving your play Alex but its really becoming time to start lighting the lamp. Seriously, 3 goals in 14 games is starting to look bad. I know your doing everything else and have hit a few posts but "put the biscuit in the basket" already man!

Alright, I'm still loving your play Alex but its really becoming time to start lighting the lamp. Seriously, 3 goals in 14 games is starting to look bad. I know your doing everything else and have hit a few posts but "put the biscuit in the basket" already man!

Import from DC? Couldn't resist. He'll heat up, patience....I think he's enjoying a role as a playmaker for Staal right now.

Import from DC? Couldn't resist. He'll heat up, patience....I think he's enjoying a role as a playmaker for Staal right now.

Someone's gotta do the passing on that line ;)

He's helping Tlusty look like a stud.