The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
dinz

Alex Semin: Extended for 5 years/CONFIRMED

This had to be done. Wingers with his skill and at the prime of their careers do not come around very often. We've all been wanting that type of winger for EStaal and now we have him locked up.

Well this is an overpayment.  He is great and done wonders for E. Staal's game.  He just hasnt shown he is a top forward in the league that is worth 7 mil a year.  I am unhappy that owners continue complain about money and then sign dudes to more money than their worth.

This done mean that Ruutu and/or Jokinen are gone in order to get a good D man.  On top of that a lot of money is already committed for next season. 

Staal 8.25

Staal 6

Skinner 6

Semin 7

Ruutu 4.25

Jokinen 3

Tlusty 1.6

Welsh .85

Westgarth .725

Dwyer .9

Pitkanen 4.5

Gleason 4

McBain 1.8

Faulk .9

Harrison 1.5

Ward 6.3

For a total of 57.575 million

The team still needs 2 forwards, 1 defender, and 1 goalie.  Now if Murphy makes the team then we are looking at a cap of 58.950mil.  Nash has to be re-signed.  Then JR has to make decisions on Corvo, Rosie, Nodl, Brent, Wallace and Hall.  Its going to make getting a good defender very difficult to fit in the budget.  Gets more complicated as the thought that Tlusty, McBain, Murphy, and Faulk will all have to re-signed after next season.

Edited by gocanes0506

Clearly JR has done an about-face in the last two years with regard to signing guys during the season.

I am sure he is way ahead of all of us with regard to how all of this financing will work out.

That is why he gets paid the big bucks----and we dont.

In any case, with the realignment----future seasons will be challenging for small market

franchises, especially in the East.

If we don't make the playoffs this year, it may be a long while before we do.IMO

Edited by UNCCaniac8

Those are 2 really expensive top lines for our small market. Semin might not have an official NTC but at 5 years 7 mil he may as well have one. If things go south ...if...before ya'll jump me it'll be impossible to move him at that price.

Writings on the wall for Jussi at this point if he can't be traded he'll be bought out, Ruu has 18 games to prove he's still worth 4.5 mil.

I'm not quite just what are coffers read these days but I'm kinda wondering how we're gonna shore up this defense when we get the chance to. Even with a CBA buyout of the Juice, that money would inevitably go into keeping Faulk. Not enough to fix our woes.

Edited by Legend

Great to see this signing though would have much preferred 3 yrs and $22-24 million instead( $7.5-8 mill), russians really worry when get to mid 30's and declining production, but guess Semin and agent knew the market... Let's hope Semin is the exception to the rule

Big trade coming this week, maybe?  what do ya think.  Welcome for good Semin, proud to have you a permanent resident of the streets of Raleigh!  What a core we got now,  E. Staal, J.Staal,Skinner,Semin,Faulk.   Not sure if Ward is still part of the core thats "to be determined".  One or two more big "D" men and we're good to go for a while. Get ready to say goodbye to a fan favorite this week/weekend.

OK, if you like the move, then you cannot complain about the parking and ticket rise.  The money has to come from somewhere.

I like the move right now, so I'll stop complaining.  But my goodness, this better work out.

Two nights ago Jeremy Roenick went off on Semin, and was saying how many times do you see someone have great years when they are trying to get a big longterm deal, then once the contract is signed you do not get the same player, and that this will be the case with Semin.  Then last night after the Jets game,  Roenick went off again and said that I told you so,  Semin signs a big contract and then goes back to his old "Washington Capital" ways.......   Roenick is right,  I have seen this many times in all sports.   I pray that this will not be the case with Alex.

Two nights ago Jeremy Roenick went off on Semin, and was saying how many times do you see someone have great years when they are trying to get a big longterm deal, then once the contract is signed you do not get the same player, and that this will be the case with Semin.  Then last night after the Jets game,  Roenick went off again and said that I told you so,  Semin signs a big contract and then goes back to his old "Washington Capital" ways.......   Roenick is right,  I have seen this many times in all sports.   I pray that this will not be the case with Alex.

To be fair, I think it's WAY too early for Roenick to go the "I told you so" route. It's been ONE game since the new deal. Nevertheless, it's true that you can look back and see many cases of this happening. I just hope Semin doesn't become one of them (and I don't think he will).