The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Ichigo-1

Realignment

So this was the latest to be batted around regarding the realignment:

qZSSqbr.jpg

I can't remember if this is exactly the same as what they had proposed before or not, but I don't think Detroit was in the division with buf and bos.

HATE this...the west only gets 7 teams per conference? That's BS!

Just do this:

1. Nashville to Southeastern division.

2. Detroit/Columbus/Chicago/St. Louis/Dallas in new Central division.

3. Colorado/Minnesota/Winnipeg/Calgary/Edmonton in new Northwest division.

4. Anaheim/Phoenix/San Jose/LA/Vancouver in new Pacific Division.

I'd need to know what the plan on doing from here to know what to complain about :)

Is each conf.....a real conf? or are they calling them conf's and their really divisions. Etc

I'd need to know what the plan on doing from here to know what to complain about :)

Is each conf.....a real conf? or are they calling them conf's and their really divisions. Etc

My understanding is top 4 from each conference goes to the playoffs, how that is structured I am not sure, my guess is it would be inter-conference first, 1v4 2v3.

My understanding is top 4 from each conference goes to the playoffs, how that is structured I am not sure, my guess is it would be inter-conference first, 1v4 2v3.

And that's why the western alignment is CRAP...only 7 teams per...vs. 8 for the eastern teams

Ugh. We should be okay against Columbus and Washington, we can be okay against New Jersey, but some teams in our new conference will be tough to bump from the playoffs. Scary conference.

If they plan on expanding the league soon they should just do it as a part of realignment. Otherwise you'll finally get a realignment everyone agrees on then have to mess it up again because of new teams.

I'm not for this (due to the leagues issues) but this setup would certainly allow for Western expansion.

Edited by legend-1

I'm not for this (due to the leagues issues) but this setup would certaintly allow for Western expansion.

Bingo.

I'm not for this (due to the leagues issues) but this setup would certainly allow for Western expansion.

Believe you're correct, especially if it happens soon. Maybe add Seattle to #4 and then Detroit can be in #2 or #3 depending on if you add a Eastern Canada team or a midwestern US team like Kansas City or Houston.

I would think our revenues could increase being in a Division with these other high-profile teams as opposed to being in the current SE Division, thus allowing more dollars to be spent on a more talented roster.

Anyway, it's another way to look at potential realignment.

Hamilton is at the top of the expansion list, last I heard, along with Seattle.

As far as those 4 conferences I agree, we'd be in the toughest conference of all. There is really only one traditionally soft team in the group (Blue Jackets), maybe the Islanders but they are usually pretty scrappy. I'd much rather be in conference 2. Plus, it would be cool to have Buffalo and Montreal in the same conference, for the rivalries.

Seattle AND Portland are ripe for expansion out west. Houston? No way! Same goes with KC.

Dallas is a moderate hockey town...and only when the Stars are good and the Rangers/Cowboys are crappy.

Seattle AND Portland are ripe for expansion out west. Houston? No way! Same goes with KC.

Dallas is a moderate hockey town...and only when the Stars are good and the Rangers/Cowboys are crappy.

I got the cities from one of the hockey websites: TSN, ESPN, Bleacher Report (non-fan), etc. The article said Seattle, KC, and, to my surprise, Houston could be candidates for relocation or expansion in the US. Ironically, they had Dallas as a potential relo candidate. Other than Seattle, Canadian cities were higher up the list.

Not that surprising to me. Both Detroit and Columbus are in the Eastern Time Zone and both have wanted, especially Detroit, to play in the Eastern Conference for travel issues.

Leave it to the NHL to try and divide 30 by 4! Not a fan of this plan with 30 teams. If they want to roll this out with a two team expansion, then it's not bad. But I like the current division size and number with 30 teams--just need to find a western home for the Jets and some other tweeks.

Leave it to the NHL to try and divide 30 by 4! Not a fan of this plan with 30 teams. If they want to roll this out with a two team expansion, then it's not bad. But I like the current division size and number with 30 teams--just need to find a western home for the Jets and some other tweeks.

My guess is that they are planning for two expansions in the next two or three years. The current format of 30/2 works until you add two teams to the mix, thus the current discussion of having four divisions/conferences whatever they will be called.

My guess is that they are planning for two expansions in the next two or three years. The current format of 30/2 works until you add two teams to the mix, thus the current discussion of having four divisions/conferences whatever they will be called.

They could also go the opposite direction and retract two teams, then there would be 28, so there would be 7 teams per conference.

They could also go the opposite direction and retract two teams, then there would be 28, so there would be 7 teams per conference.

I would think relocation would be more likely then contraction, but stranger things have happened.

More on realignment:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8991414/nhl-realignment-proposal-adds-playoff-wild-cards-drops-league-4-divisions

The NHL is proposing a new realignment plan which would feature playoff wild-card spots plus see the league go from six divisions to four.

The plan was detailed in an NHL memo sent to all 30 clubs Tuesday, which a team source leaked to ESPN.com.

The new plan calls for divisional playoffs, not conference playoffs as the NHL currently has. The division winner with the most regular-season points will play the lowest-seeded wild-card team in the first round, with the other division winner playing the other wild-card team.

It still needs approval from the NHL Players' Association plus the NHL's Board of Governors. The NHLPA and NHL have been working on these changes for the past three weeks.

If approved by all parties, the plan would go into effect for next season.

The Eastern Conference would feature the Atlantic and Central divisions while the Western Conference would have the Mid-West and Pacific Divisions.

The Pacific Division would feature Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose and Vancouver.

The Mid-West: Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis and Winnipeg.

The Central: Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Toronto.

The Atlantic: Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, N.Y. Islanders, N.Y. Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington.

Elliotte Friedman of CBC's Hockey Night In Canada was first to report about these four new groupings over the weekend.

The playoff format as detailed in the league memo Tuesday calls for the top three teams in each division to earn post-season berths. The remaining four spots would go to wild-cards, the top two records in each conference. That means there's a possibility five teams make it from one division and only three from another.

The schedule matrix would see each team play teams in the other conference both home and away.

The NHL's 30 owners voted yes to a new realignment plan in December 2011 which was based on a four-conference format but also saw Detroit and Columbus still in the West.

The change from the December 2011 configurations sees Detroit and Columbus go East plus Colorado leave the Pacific and join the Mid-West teams.

The NHLPA blocked the December 2011 plan, citing travel concerns for its players plus playoff inequity of having the top four teams in each conference make the playoffs under that format, unfair for the two eight-team conferences.

The changes proposed by the NHL in this realignment format come as a result of those concerns from the NHLPA, the two sides negotiating for the past three weeks on finding a better solution for realignment.

The NHLPA wants to further address it with its players before consenting to it.

More on realignment:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8991414/nhl-realignment-proposal-adds-playoff-wild-cards-drops-league-4-divisions

The NHL is proposing a new realignment plan which would feature playoff wild-card spots plus see the league go from six divisions to four.

The plan was detailed in an NHL memo sent to all 30 clubs Tuesday, which a team source leaked to ESPN.com.

The new plan calls for divisional playoffs, not conference playoffs as the NHL currently has. The division winner with the most regular-season points will play the lowest-seeded wild-card team in the first round, with the other division winner playing the other wild-card team.

It still needs approval from the NHL Players' Association plus the NHL's Board of Governors. The NHLPA and NHL have been working on these changes for the past three weeks.

If approved by all parties, the plan would go into effect for next season.

The Eastern Conference would feature the Atlantic and Central divisions while the Western Conference would have the Mid-West and Pacific Divisions.

The Pacific Division would feature Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose and Vancouver.

The Mid-West: Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis and Winnipeg.

The Central: Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Toronto.

The Atlantic: Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, N.Y. Islanders, N.Y. Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington.

Elliotte Friedman of CBC's Hockey Night In Canada was first to report about these four new groupings over the weekend.

The playoff format as detailed in the league memo Tuesday calls for the top three teams in each division to earn post-season berths. The remaining four spots would go to wild-cards, the top two records in each conference. That means there's a possibility five teams make it from one division and only three from another.

The schedule matrix would see each team play teams in the other conference both home and away.

The NHL's 30 owners voted yes to a new realignment plan in December 2011 which was based on a four-conference format but also saw Detroit and Columbus still in the West.

The change from the December 2011 configurations sees Detroit and Columbus go East plus Colorado leave the Pacific and join the Mid-West teams.

The NHLPA blocked the December 2011 plan, citing travel concerns for its players plus playoff inequity of having the top four teams in each conference make the playoffs under that format, unfair for the two eight-team conferences.

The changes proposed by the NHL in this realignment format come as a result of those concerns from the NHLPA, the two sides negotiating for the past three weeks on finding a better solution for realignment.

The NHLPA wants to further address it with its players before consenting to it.

Seems that geographically, Florida and Tampa (Boston too) should be in the "Atlantic" while Columbus and Pittsburgh should be in the Central.

Seems that geographically, Florida and Tampa (Boston too) should be in the "Atlantic" while Columbus and Pittsburgh should be in the Central.

Unfortunately they have to suspend some disbelief in geography to keep certain teams together.

If the conferences are un-even (14-16) for the purpose of having openings for to expand in the future that is all well and good. BUT, in the meantime, it will make it harder for Eastern teams to make the playoffs.

(they are competing with 15 other teams and 1/2 of them will always miss the big dance.)

The West, on the other hand competes with 13 other teams and over half of them will make it.(8 of 14)

That doessn't seem quite right. Or am I missing something?

If the conferences are un-even (14-16) for the purpose of having openings for to expand in the future that is all well and good. BUT, in the meantime, it will make it harder for Eastern teams to make the playoffs.

(they are competing with 15 other teams and 1/2 of them will always miss the big dance.)

The West, on the other hand competes with 13 other teams and over half of them will make it.(8 of 14)

That doessn't seem quite right. Or am I missing something?

I believe that is what the wild card is for, where the top three teams make it in each conference, and then the top four teams remaining make it regardless of conference. Something like that anyways, you may have only three teams from one conference and could have 5 or 6 teams in another conference. I am not sure on the details of how that works in the playoffs but it is something like that.

The realvent quote from the memo that was leaked:

Edited by Ichigo-1