The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Ichigo-1

Realignment

But I read that as the wild card situation is done within each conference---between the two divisions in that conference---rather than taking the top four from each division, two teams in one division may have more points than the fourth team in the other division, so they would be in. They would have five in the playoffs spots and the other division would only have its top three.? !

Edited by UNCCaniac8

But I read that as the wild card situation is done within each conference---between the two divisions in that conference---rather than taking the top four from each division, two teams in one division may have more points than the fourth team in the other division, so they would be in. They would have five in the playoffs spots and the other division would only have its top three.? !

Yeah I think that is right, that way if the number 5 team in one divison can make the playoffs if they have a better record then a number 4 team in another division. The division/conference lingo is a bit confusing to me at this point.

Boston Globe

The NHL moved a step closer to realignment Thursday as the players’ association approved a proposed plan that is set to go into effect next season.

One thing to note is also the PA has the option to reconsider after the next season (probable expansion?).

I saw that. Expansion is a good guess.

The Columbus Blue Jackets, Carolina Hurricanes and Washington Capitals will join the New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers and Pittsburgh Penguins in Division D.

"It's going to be tough. There are a lot of good teams in there," Carolina coach Kirk Muller said. "There are a lot of grinding, physical teams so it makes you sit back and evaluate your team and organization asking are we the type of team that's skilled enough to go into certain arenas and get points or do you want to change your style to match up with your opponents?

"We're obviously in the hunt this year, but it will be something where you may have to sit back and look at everything and ask where do you fit in with your opposition and decide if you want to make changes or if you're comfortable with the group that you have?"

I'm feeling the same thing Kirky

Based on this year, we've gone 6-2-1 against our new realignment foes.  Obviously, we haven't played Columbus, but we haven't played the Rangers yet either.  I'd say to continue with our own style if it's working.

Edited by RNT82

The new playoff format is horrible.

The Stanley Cup Playoffs will still consist of 16 teams, eight in each conference, but it will be division-based and a wild-card system has been added as a new wrinkle.

The top three teams in each division will make-up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season points and regardless of division. It will be possible, then, for one division to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends three.

The seeding of the wild-card teams within each divisional playoff will be determined on the basis of regular-season points. The division winner with the most points in the conference will be matched against the wild-card team with the lowest number of points; the division winner with the second-most points in the conference will play the wild-card team with the second fewest points.

The teams finishing second and third in each division will play in the first round of the playoffs. The winners of each series will play for berths in the Conference Championship series.

The two divisional champions in each conference will then play in the conference finals to advance to the Stanley Cup Final.

So if you win the division, you watch all the other teams tire each other out so you can beat them easily in the conference championship. Great idea! Not. I'd rather every team have to follow the same path to the finals, not get a BYE for winning the division.

The new playoff format is horrible.

So if you win the division, you watch all the other teams tire each other out so you can beat them easily in the conference championship. Great idea! Not. I'd rather every team have to follow the same path to the finals, not get a BYE for winning the division.

there is no bye... the first round the division champs get the wild card teams... the way they worded the conference finals was confusing though,,

there is no bye... the first round the division champs get the wild card teams... the way they worded the conference finals was confusing though,,

Yeah I see that now. I need to get more sleep. :dizzy:

I see it as generally being a positive, at least as far as attendance for us goes, for division games.  It'll be a tough division to be sure, but I think it'll make us better in the long run.  We have a decent GM and ownership group and I think they'll adjust well to the challenge.  I wish they'd spent more time looking at ways to make the playoff structure more sound and getting rid of that loser point.  You win, you win, you lose, it shouldn't matter how it happens.  And dump the shootout already.  It's a team game, and an individual skills competitions shouldn't decide it.   

It'll be good for the team because playing with highly covered teams will get us covered as well by association. The thing I hope is that we play well when we get that coverage and gain some respectability around the league, and players realize Carolina may not be a bad place to play. I'm really iffed by last night's game partially because we had that game after the first and just left the last two periods to be taken, but also partially because we were being shown on the NHLNetwork for that game. When you lose to a 12 seeded team on a 3 game losing streak at home after beating them 4-0 and leading 2-0 after 20? You lose respect around the league. We've traditionally done bad when we are getting national coverage, I don't know if it's a coincidence or what, but expect a whole lot more national coverage playing with teams like the Rangers, Penguins, Devils, Flyers, teams that are almost always the teams televised nationally. I just hope we don't keep our trend of playing bad when being televised nationally.

I dont like this, it doesnt look like an alignment of a major sports league,they basicly took the AHL model and expanded on it

I hate this,I like the traditional smaller regional divisions,why did they have to change it, and the playoffs were fine the way they were,they didnt need to invent a convoluded system,that replaced a simple and effective traditional bracket tournement

Change is not always a good thing,especially if it makes things worse,and the NHL's image is already suffering in its competition with other sports,they didnt need to do something that will make it even harder for non-hockey fans to understand the game.

And the one poster who mentioned shootouts,I am in full agreement,I would rather see a 10 min 4 on 4 OT,then a tie,yes a tie,with ties being worth 1 point in the standings,and also no OT loss points,you should only get points for wins and ties!!

Edited by Carolinafan85

What happens when Phoenix absconds for Ontario?  The strong Loonie has reversed the currency problems that caused Canadian teams to relocate south in the first place.   I don't like the imbalance between conferences.   They should have left the Red Wings in the west, to make it 15 in each conference.  Then if they expand/contract/relocate they can adjust at that time.

Seattle AND Portland are ripe for expansion out west. Houston? No way! Same goes with KC.

Dallas is a moderate hockey town...and only when the Stars are good and the Rangers/Cowboys are crappy.

Considering I'm about to move to Portland either of those two cities picking up a club would make me insanely happy, even if it only gave me a chance to see the Canes every 2-3 years.  I'd just have to pick up a "Western" team.  Portland has the Winterhawks which are a WHL team with a strong following, but I don't know if they could support two teams and I'd hate to see the Hawks get bumped for an NHL team so maybe Seattle? That would almost make more sense.  

As for Detroit and Columbus coming to the East that makes sense, Winnapeg finally going back out West. However they decide the playoff seedings and the Divisions etc is immaterial.. just win games man.. just win.  

You should be able see the Canes every season, Eric.  From what I understand every team is supposed to play in every arena once a season in this new deal.  Unless I am mistaken, which has happened once or twice, I think.

Looks like there's some GM's talking about the shootout/OT rules at least:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/16/some-gms-are-looking-to-tweak-overtime-rules/

Just tired of looking at the standings and all those "losing" points skewing records.  It'll be interesting, especially in the Western Conference this year, which teams get in on those and which don't.  I think they only affect tie-breakers for playoff spots?

I don't know why they don't have that OT rule yet?  They've been debating it for the past four years!

What about 10 minutes of 4 vs. 4...then a shootout?

Fans, critics and former players have all debated it but no one with any stature to change things has that I know of.

If Lou is behind it the wheels could start churning.

You should be able see the Canes every season, Eric.  From what I understand every team is supposed to play in every arena once a season in this new deal.  Unless I am mistaken, which has happened once or twice, I think.

That would be great.  The question would be if they did have the expansion then how long would it take to get the actual team set up.  

Another option (although a much more complicated trip) for the PNW is to head up to Vancouver.  

I don't know that much about Portland to be honest, but I'm learning as I'm getting prepped to move there, they only have the one major team (the Trailblazers) so I'm wondering if maybe Seattle would have the better fanbase since they have NFL and MLB (and had NBA until recently), but then again that market may be too diluted already (like the Dallas argument above). I'm looking forward to catching some Winterhawks games even though I know absolutely nothing about Canadian League/Major Juniors.  We just signed Biega out of the Western Hockey league, so there's a possibility we could have a pick/prospect playing for the Hawks. 

Fans, critics and former players have all debated it but no one with any stature to change things has that I know of.

If Lou is behind it the wheels could start churning.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope Lou can get hockey back to playing hockey to see who wins a contest.  Maybe longer 4 on 4, ie: 7 minutes. Followed by 3 on 3 for 3, 4, or 5 minutes, then a shootout. Definitely change points allocation:  3 regulation win, 2 OT win, 1 OT lose; or, 2 regulation win, 1 OT win, 0 OT lose. Never thought a regulation win and OT win should have the same value. if teams got less for going into OT maybe they would be more aggressive until the final regulation buzzer