The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Ichigo-1

Realignment

That would be great.  The question would be if they did have the expansion then how long would it take to get the actual team set up.  

Another option (although a much more complicated trip) for the PNW is to head up to Vancouver.  

I don't know that much about Portland to be honest, but I'm learning as I'm getting prepped to move there, they only have the one major team (the Trailblazers) so I'm wondering if maybe Seattle would have the better fanbase since they have NFL and MLB (and had NBA until recently), but then again that market may be too diluted already (like the Dallas argument above). I'm looking forward to catching some Winterhawks games even though I know absolutely nothing about Canadian League/Major Juniors.  We just signed Biega out of the Western Hockey league, so there's a possibility we could have a pick/prospect playing for the Hawks. 

I think it's almost a guarantee that there will be two new teams in the next couple of seasons, otherwise they would have probably split the conferences evenly I imagine.  I don't know about the NHL, but the NFL announced that we were getting the Carolina Panthers in 1993 and their first season was 1995 and the stadium was finished in 1996.  So, I would guess two-three years from announcement-to-inception for a new franchise.  That's the best I can come up with.

Too bad Seattle doesn't have any good sports to follow.  The Seakawks should be interesting now because of former NC State star QB Russell Wilson.  At least there is something you can relate to in Washington.

I hope you are able to cope with your new home, Eric.  I hear it's nice in Washington.

I think it's almost a guarantee that there will be two new teams in the next couple of seasons, otherwise they would have probably split the conferences evenly I imagine.  I don't know about the NHL, but the NFL announced that we were getting the Carolina Panthers in 1993 and their first season was 1995 and the stadium was finished in 1996.  So, I would guess two-three years from announcement-to-inception for a new franchise.  That's the best I can come up with.

Too bad Seattle doesn't have any good sports to follow.  The Seakawks should be interesting now because of former NC State star QB Russell Wilson.  At least there is something you can relate to in Washington.

I hope you are able to cope with your new home, Eric.  I hear it's nice in Washington.

I've got friends who have been to Portland and love it.  I'm expecting some culture shock, but my girlfriend and her friends and family are all there to help me get acclimated.  I won't be out there by myself.  

The Seahawks should be interesting, they've gotten better the last couple of years.  I do look forward to watching Wilson, and well I'll have to get used to watching the Seahawks since it's unlikely I'll see too many Panthers games out there.

Portland has a pro Arena the Rose Garden that is set up for hockey and also hosts the Portland Trailblazers.  I would assume it's big enough seat wise and perks wise to support an NHL club.  Again, you'd be bumping out the Winterhawks who play about half their games there (there's another smaller arena in town as well).  

I don't know if the old Supersonics arena could do hockey but I believe Seattle has a WHL team as well (since I seem to have seen a Portland/Seattle rivalry with the Winterhawks). 

I just hope the politics don't come into play.  Lots of times the league encourages cities to build a new state-of-the-art arena as a bargaining chip.  If Seattle's government says "Nah, we already got one that will work" it might make the NHL look elsewhere.  It shouldn't be that way, but I wouldn't be surprised if that prevented expansion in Seattle if they took that road, especially if Quebec City or Toronto later said that 'We'll build a new arena, no problem Gary.'

If Seattle's government says "Nah, we already got one that will work" it might make the NHL look elsewhere.  It shouldn't be that way, but I wouldn't be surprised if that prevented expansion in Seattle if they took that road, especially if Quebec City or Toronto later said that 'We'll build a new arena, no problem Gary.'

An agreement has already been reached in Seattle to build a new NBA/NHL arena provided Steve Ballmer's purchase/move of the Sac Kings is approved.That is still up in the air though as a group in Sacramento has now made a competing offer in an attempt to keep the Kings in town.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9003412/nba-receives-bid-kings-sacramento-group

So I seem to remember that Gary said the division names would be geographic and not memorial.  Sooo... what could they be?  C can't be the North Eastern division because of the two Florida teams.  How can D be the Atlantic if Florida has two teams in the D division?  And Ohio isn't connected to the Atlantic, either.  I don't see any kind of accurate geographical connection that is going to work for all four divisions.  Do you?  Also, if you were to name them after historically significant individuals, who would you pick?

would you want to have he same rule as we currently have for US stamps that it can't be a living person?

Sounds like a good idea.

I guess since he can't drive Fehr and the players crazy anymore he is going to drive us crazy. Come on Gary if you can't say anything relevant don't say anything at all.

Guess they need to do something to keep the attention of fans of the 28 teams not playing hockey at this time.

Why would they announce them during the Cup finals when most hockey fans are enjoying the games? 

I wouldn't expect them to take any attention away from the SCF's but I wouldn't rule out a tease or two to all the fans who don't have a team playing for the Cup. ;)