The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
sipower

We lost (Dancing Granny) today

Sad news. I met her once in the RBC parking lot. Just a smile and a hello. She brought a smile to a lot us.

Sad news. I met her once in the RBC parking lot. Just a smile and a hello. She brought a smile to a lot us.

She suffered Alzheimer's in the last few years and getting to the RBC was almost part of her therapy, she loved the crowd and the memory and game trips helped her maintain some of her normal life.  I like to think that her needing us at the end was just a wonderful chance for us to repay her with the love she gave us all, she certainly felt the deep affection we had for her every time she came to a game.  I hope and trust the Canes will be represented at her memorial.

Back when I went to games regularly, me and my buddy always tried to find her in the crowd and often we did.  She really did put a smile on your face no matter what the score was - she reminded us that it's about having fun.  And she was a perfect example that hockey is a sport for EVERYONE, there is no demigraphic.  I'm glad she got to see a Stanley Cup victory.

Dancing Granny was a tradition, a rare one that will not be replaced and I hope she is kept fresh in our minds.  They need to do something special in her memory.  One thing I do want to see is an indepth profile either from a local news station or better yet, from the Canes organization itself.  Michael Smith would do a good job, I'm sure.

Back when I went to games regularly, me and my buddy always tried to find her in the crowd and often we did.  She really did put a smile on your face no matter what the score was - she reminded us that it's about having fun.  And she was a perfect example that hockey is a sport for EVERYONE, there is no demigraphic.  I'm glad she got to see a Stanley Cup victory.

Dancing Granny was a tradition, a rare one that will not be replaced and I hope she is kept fresh in our minds.  They need to do something special in her memory.  One thing I do want to see is an indepth profile either from a local news station or better yet, from the Canes organization itself.  Michael Smith would do a good job, I'm sure.

Brilliantly put .. she was part of why I brought my young kids at first - a symbol of all that is good about Canes hockey - a  game for all

I am sorry for her family's loss.  Will send prayers their way.  The games have been less fun without her presence, but her memory will endure, and the memories of her having fun at the games will endure.  She lived a "full" life, and that is always a good thing.

Sad news, thanks for posting.  She definitely has a special place in Canes history.

N&O did a really nice write up on her:

Dancing Granny from the Canes game passes away 2/28/13

CHRIS SEWARD — Staff photo by Chris Seward

Thanks for the heads-up, buddy.  That link is for the photo gallery, here is the link to the article:

Dancing Granny, a fan favorite at Canes games, dies

I don't really like the title, but oh well.

They had a nice video tribute to Dancing Granny during the game and announced that after playing 'her song' that it would be the last time, they were retiring it in her honor.

They had a nice video tribute to Dancing Granny during the game and announced that after playing 'her song' that it would be the last time, they were retiring it in her honor.

CaneVision already has it posted, they were on it :)

Dancing Granny

Standing O from the crowd and the players tapped their sticks after the video tribute.  That was classy and touching...  also pretty classy that they are retiring "her" song.

She will be missed - she definitely brought smiles to a lot of Caniacs.

In the obit section of the N&O today, the picture has her wearing her Canes jersey---also notes anyone wishing to remember her, instead of flowers, can send contributions to the Canes Kids and Community Fund. I thought that was a fitting final touch.