The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canes-in-7

Canes Mid-year Report- Better or worse than expected?

Figure a good conversation starter, as we are now at the midpoint of season. Do you think the canes have been better or worse than you expected?

Who has been your MVP?

Who has been your Surprise player to the upside? and why

Who has been your Dissapointment and why?

Where do you think the Canes will end year? Position and points

MVP: tie between E Staal, Skinner and Faulk

Surprise: D-Bow

Disappointment: Jussi and Rosey

Where we end up: 9th...again (I think the loss of Cam is gonna end up being the tipping point)!  And this time, JR had better make some moves...starting with dumping Joni and re-signing Alex!

Who has been your MVP? Eric Staal - has taken the Captaincy seriously by leading on and off the ice, picked up his game last year and started this season off with a bang.

Who has been your Surprise player to the upside? and why? Jiri Tlusty - he went from Toronto castoff to neck-and-neck with the NHL's elite practically over night.

Who has been your Dissapointment and why?  Jamie McBain - seems to be a liability when he's on the ice this season.  I expect more out of him - he was the Faulk before Faulk got here.

Where do you think the Canes will end year? Position and points? 8th - I think we'll just hang on and limp into the playoffs.

Who has been your MVP?  Semin - he has unlocked the first line.  Even when Staal and Tlusty were beginning to click last season they were still missing the third player on the line to really get them to shine.

Who has been your Surprise player to the upside? and why - Tlusty - he came in under the radar as an after thought on the first line and ended up being an equal contributor.  I think playing during the lockout with Jagr and Plekanec on his line in the Czech league did wonders for his development.

Who has been your Disapointment and why? - the first power play unit.  For the amount of firepower in that group they have under-performed on the advantage.

Where do you think the Canes will end year? Position and points - squeak out third with 60 points.

Who has been your MVP?

Semin -  besides making everyone around him better, he has played a great two-way game all season.

Honorable Mention - E.Staal

Tlusty - we saw flashes of his great play last year when he was teamed with E.Staal on the top line.  Now with adding Semin, he is breaking out as a top 6 star.

Honorable Mention - Nash

Jussi - but part of this isn't his fault.  With injuries, he was asked to center the 3rd line and he didn't produce.  Since he's been moved to wing, he has slowly started coming on.

Dishonorable Mention - McBain

I'm superstitious, so I won't pick Canes to win the division.  But, I'll put them in at 8th with 54 points.

Bonus halfway stat - Canes are 6-3-0 against current playoff teams and 7-6-1 against those who aren't.  We have yet to play the Rangers.

thanks for the responses, suprised not more, oh well

My MVP is Staal, with Semin a close 2nd. Fox put up a stat last game where eric is close to the scoring leader for the NHL since think was last december, he has really picked his game up, even before Semin arrived and seeing the maturity, as been said already, in his Captain role. One thing not many talk about is Staal already over a point/game playoff player, which think this year he can really raise both his game and points in the playoffs

My Suprise to the upside is Nash, who unlike Tlusty didnt really have anything to say will turn his career around and so far really seems to and has stablized the 3rd line... I'd put Tlusty a close 2nd, but kinda expected him to have a good season, once got back to Staal and the chemistry they had developed last spring

My suprise to the Downside is Gleason- who while still a stready D-men has lost the edge both on front of net and aggressiveness many games.. And not talking fighting( which has can still do), but hits and being physical in front of net, he has become more finesse than ever expected.. larose would be a close 2nd

Think canes do end up 3rd( division just is bad, let's face it), with around 57 - 60 points. I guess the last few year collapses have many being Skeptical, but IMO this team is different. We have already seen comebacks, we have lacked before, and games where the 'old canes" would juts pack it in, but this team doesn;t.

here's to a great stretch Drive!

I kept changing my mind so I didn't post.

Do you think the canes have been better or worse than you expected?

Better I expected the Canes to be in the playoff mix but thought the Bolts and The Peg would challenge for top spot in the SE.

Who has been your MVP?

E. Staal He seems to work hard every shift and is leading by example

A. Semin I knew he could play make and score but his defensive game really surprised me

D. Bowman I expected more scoring

1st in SE 7th overall in points w/ 59 pts

Who has been your MVP?

E. Staal followed closely by Jeff Skinner. Staal has been producing well, but does anyone remember how flat this team was when Skinner was out? All the other teams had to do was shut down line 1.

Tlusty. We knew he'd have good chemistry with Staal, but did we think he'd be tied with Sidney Crosby in goals?

Bowman and Westgarth. Bowman has firepower but has failed to convert. Westgarth gets paid to be an "enforcer" but im not seeing it.

1st in SE 3rd in East.

Who has been your MVP?

Skinner, when he was injured nothing on the top 2 lines worked. Staal, Semin close seconds if not them all sharing it

Biggest surprise?

Semin, I knew the guy was good but didn't know he was THIS good. Some fault him for not scoring himself enough but with 17A's I don't really care how the puck winds up in the net as long as it does.

Sanguinetti with how he was being talked up this year I thought he was going to step in and be formidable. He's not

Here's my list of close seconds

Bowman. I just expect more from him in his second NHL year

Westgarth I dunno what to expect with this guy, he's gotta be the least penalized enforcer in the league.

Jussi- As earlier said he was put in a tough spot but I still expected more then we got. He's coming on lately and turning it around

Without saying what this implies I think we'll be the only team to make the playoffs from the SouthEast.

Canes are about where I expected. I fully expected them to be a playoff team and most likely a division winner with the J. and Semin acquisitions.

Who has been your MVP?

Co -MVP's for E. and Semin - their success this year has been interdependent.

Honorable Mention for Justin Faulk - he is truly the unsung hero on this team, what he does night in and night out to solidify a really weak group of defenseman has been remarkable

Corvo  - outside of the first week, he has not been much of a liability. He wore the "A" in Gleason's absence and has shown some maturity and veteran presence for a young group.

I wanted to say Tlusty but I honestly believed all along he was top 6 forward material.

Jussi - I thought the decision to put him as the 3rd line center was a good one and that he would be able handle that role, obviously not the case

1st in SE, 3rd in Conference, 5th overall in points with 64

A little better than I expected given all the new faces and a defense I believed would struggle.

Who has been your MVP?

Eric Staal.  I would say Semin but he doesn't have the added responsibility of wearing the C.

Joe Corvo.  After being scratched, he's been solid.  The guy works hard.

Honorable mention goes to Jamie McBain.  He takes a lot of crap but somehow posts up a +13 for the season.  Go figure.

1. Chad Larose - seems to have lost an already slow step.  Struggles to win puck battles. Isn't scoring.  To me he's dragged down any line he's been on.

2.  Jussi Jokinen - seems to be heating up but he's been pretty invisible, even though he's been forced out of position.

3. Dalpe and Bowman - one of these guys has to bring more, although Bowman seems to be trusted as a third-fourth line grinder.

Somewhere between 3rd and 8th.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Figure a good conversation starter, as we are now at the midpoint of season. Do you think the canes have been better or worse than you expected?

About where I expected, in the mix but not running away with anything

Who has been your MVP?

Eric Staal but Jiri Tlusty deserves an honorable mention.

Alex Semin and Joe Corvo.  Pleasantly surprised that Semin has proved all his detractors wrong and Joe Corvo for the same reasons as Coastal.  He looked done to start the season but now plays an important role for the team.

Chad Larose.  Hate it for him but there's just no good place to put him in the line up.

1st in the SE but it will come down to the final games.

Who has been your MVP?

Semin, he's made Staal and Tlusty combo even better and made sure LaRose isn't on the top line.

Dan Ellis. He has played well and taken the anxiety out of Cam's injury status.

Drayson Bowman. He loses too many 1/2 board battles and doesn't dig deep and hard like he belongs up here. Wallace and Nash are far better examples of wanting it.

3rd with 60 points.

Edited by Manwolf

Figure a good conversation starter, as we are now at the midpoint of season. Do you think the canes have been better or worse than you expected? About where I expected. Not quite how I expected it, but end result yes. But I think the best is yet to come.

Who has been your MVP?   E. in a photo finish with Semin. On paper they are nearly identical in points and +/-. I'd give it to Semin if it would make him stay. As I've mentioned Semin unlocked Staal and he is the first line winger I've been dreaming of, but it is E. Staal he unlocked. E. has 5 more goals, and the captaincy. And don't forget E. also unlocked Semin.  But really they are 1 and 1a.

Who has been your Surprise player to the upside? and why. I really want to be clever w/ Nash or Corvo here, and I have been writing that Tlusty would do well since last year, but good grief Tlusty is on a 44 goal pace over 82 games. As I posted in the GDT, last year that would have put him #3 in the NHL behind only Stamkos and Malkin. Really? NOBODY saw this coming. Tlusty in a landslide. (Though I have been very impressed w/ Nash over a small number of games)

Who has been your Dissapointment and why? La Rose. This guy put up nearly 20 goals 2x. The last 4 seasons he averaged .23 goals/game good for 16 goals per season even w/ injuries. This year he is at .10 goals per game and on pace for 7 goals over a typical season. Additionally, he is not winning battles. I have  always thought LaRose was overated on effort* and underated on skill. I am not seeing the skill this year. If he doesn't win battles or score, why is he making what he makes? 

I have to add in all of our most touted prospects: Bowman, Dalpe, Boychuk, and Sanguinetti. 

Where do you think the Canes will end year? Position and points. Here I think most of you are selling us short. This team if back to finding it's stride. We will miss Ward, but Ellis is for real and Peters is hugely underrated. If you take our our dismal first two "pre-season" games and the 4 game w/ half the defense and Skinner out, we would be 14-3-1. We have beaten some really good teams and passed a lot of tests. We have more home games than away left. We are still getting better. J. is still fitting in w/ a new role, team, and is coming on. Semin will add more goals to his red hot playmaking. And our third line is just starting to click. 

We will finish first in the SE by a good margin, w/ 64 points. This will actually be good enough for honest third in the conference behind only Boston and Pittsburgh. This assumes no massive injuries.

*LaRose does give massive effort, but as guys like E. and Semin get unfairly knocked as not trying because they skate so smoothly, LaRose gets even more credit for effort because it so obviously takes him 2x as much effort for the same output. 

Edited by remkin

This is about what I expected. Lots of goals, but lots of goals given up. This of course has led to ugly losses and great dominating wins.

Who has been your MVP?

Eric Staal has come alive. You can argue that it's because his line is on fire, but he is having the best season of his career - if this was a full season, it would be interesting to see if he got to 100 again.

Tlusty. Not that we didn't see it possibly coming, but for him to come out and score like he has has been huge.

Jokinen hasn't put up numbers this year. His faceoffs have been great, but if he could have added scoring on the third line, this team would have been super dangerous. He also has been invisible on the PP.

1st in the SE, 57 points.

1. About where I expected if we were healthy all year, but when you take into account our injuries the Canes have exceeded my expectations.

2. Eric Staal. He has single-handedly genereated goals by winning physical battles along the boards and behind the net. He's the guy that can generate a momentum changing shift with a rush up ice or sustained pressure. Semin and Tlusty are huge, but honestly without E. Staal i think it all falls apart. He looks like a different player this year, and is dominant at times.

3. Dan Ellis. I didn't see this coming. It seems like forever since the organization had a #2 goalie that inspired confidence. In the past if Cam (or the #1 goalie) went down I would have written off the season, this year I think we can continue to roll without much drop-off. The fact that I feel that way is surprising...and good. Tlusty is certainly a surprise, but I had high expectations after seeing chemistry between him and E develop last year. Of course I didn't see THIS coming...which is again a good thing.    

4. In the beginning of the season it was definitely Sangs, at times it was painful to watch. He has come along somewhat so I guess I'll have to agree with most people here and say Larose. Another thing about Sangs is that it was never a lack of effort IMO, it is a mental thing. He either needs to think the game better or play with more confidence. His decisions need to be quicker. What is wrong with Larose is anyone's guess.  

5. Southeast division champions (3rd overall in the conference).

Who has been your MVP?

The Hurricanes are about where I expected them to be - but on the high end of my expectations.  I figured they would be in a playoff position, but despite all the injuries, have extended their lead against the rest of the SE and keep putting up points.

My MVPs are the first line:  Eric, Alex, and Jiri.  Like others, I expected Jiri to be top line material, but not this good.  I expected he and Eric to maintain and build on the chemistry they started to have last season, but not this much.  I hoped Semin would be the winger Eric so desperately needed to unlock his skill - and wow, has he delivered! 

My surprise players to the upside:  Semin - way WAY WAY better playmaker than I thought he was, massively better defensively than I anticipated.  Elite player, no question, and is fitting into the team and locker room better than I dared to hope.  Riley Nash has been a very pleasant surprise.  Tim Brent quarterbacking the PP has been a very pleasant surprise.  Justin Faulk has displayed the work ethic, responsibility, accountability, and skills of a veteran defenseman despite his young age and short time in the NHL. That kid is a superstar in the making.

My disappointment is, I'm sad to say, LaRose.  Although he is now injured, he did not have a good start to the season at all, and now others are playing their way into the lineup - and making their case for staying.  I'm not sure there is a slot for LaRose when he is healthy.

I believe the Hurricanes will finish 1st in the SE, 3rd in the Conference, somewhere between 3rd and 6th overall in points with 61.

They have been better than I thought. Only because my expectations were low. I had gotten used to losing again so even though we made a big splash on draft day, I wasn't priming myself up for playoffs. After the first 2 games I thought "Here we go again."

Who has been your MVP?

I'm gonna cheat on this one. J. Rutherford. It was him (and Karmanos money) that made this team's transformation possible. Player-wise, I'd have to go with Semin. I thought long and hard about this. Not only did Semin resurrect his own career, he turned out to be the elite talent that our captain deserves, and unleashed Tlusty to the hockey world.

Semin. At the time of the signing, he was expensive and he carried baggage. People laughed and poked fun at his slap-fighting. No one is laughing anymore. I knew he was good. I never expected THIS good. His passes are downright nasty.

Both Jussi and LaRose have been no-shows this year. I'd choose LaRose only because Jussi still shows signs of life.

1st in SE, 59pts

Edited by Bing_Chow

Who has been your MVP?

Alex Semin. He unlocked our offense by making our first line one of the best in the league and not sacrificing defensive play, as well as allowing us to spread out our offensive talent.

Honorable Mention to Eric Staal, but honestly he doesn't have this season without Semin, hence Semin getting the MVP from me.

Tie between Joe Corvo and Riley Nash. I expected Corvo to be what he was in the first two games, but after he was scratched for a couple he really came into form and proved he deserved that contract Rutherford gave him, and even got that 'A' for a few games.

Riley Nash because he was talked up big time around the time we got him, but I didn't see it at all. He didn't really wow me in the AHL either, but once he was called up I am amazed and really really glad we have him, because if we didn't we'd be looking for a third line center.

* I am not surprised whatsoever at Jiri Tlusty's performance. Dig into the off-season thread or in-between games thread and you'll see me call it basically in a post I made about him. He came on strong to finish last year, was strong in the Czech League playing with Plekanec and Jagr, and now he's huge with Ericaptain and Sasha.

Who has been your Disappointment (fixed the spelling btw) and why?

The powerplay. It's horrible to watch. How can we hem teams in for 5 minutes straight with the same guys on the ice on 5-on-5 but last about 6 seconds 5-on-4? I just don't get it and it makes me really angry and kind of confused because Kirk Muller was the reason the Habs had such a great powerplay when he was with the team (well part of the reason, they had some great PP QB dmen at the time too).

Honorable Mentions to Bowman, Jokinen, and Ward. Bowman wasn't drafted as a grinder, he was drafted as a sniper, and he obviously isn't one at the NHL level. At least not yet. Jokinen had a horrible, invisible start to the season, and the excuse that he played on the third line and played center is annoying. He started to score again, but again has sorta faded to the background. Ward had a tough start, got going, then it got tough again, then he found his game and got injured. That's disappointing to me.

* Anyone who has McBain in here *edit*. +13? I'm sorry, how is that disappointing? What is he doing to generate such hate from the fans? He isn't going to score at the same pace as that 13 games  when he finished the season with us his (semi)first year. So what is it? I don't get it.

3rd in East, 1st in SE (I hate guessing points in standings so no)

Overall the team is what I expected it to be. So not better, not worse. As expected. We are leading the division as I expected after our acquisitions, and that automatically means making the playoffs which was my expectation after those acquisitions. I didn't expect the team to continue as they have thus far without Ward though. That's far exceeding my expectations so far.

While  didn't ask about it- also want to give kudos to the canes coaching, esp Kirk Muller... He has now coached 82 games with canes going 40-29-13 for 93 points..which would be the playoffs.

He really seems to have his finger on the pulse of the team and making the right moves, and knowing when to pull guys or give them more time( ie peters last night).. He's really been tha quite leader and like his style alot

Also think brindy has done a very good job increasing the face-off % for the players, esp Staal..

My only complaint is still the PP, just do not understand how they can be so dynamic on the top 2 lines 5-5, but so staid and awful on the PP with same players..

Some observations at the midway point of this thread.

So many have us w/ less points in the second half. No way unless we get wrecked w/ injuries.

Lots of Jussi dislike on here. Not blaming, he started slow. But he will turn this around and there will be much Jussi love coming.

Love people using my line about Semin unlocking Staal, but don't forget E. Staal also unlocks Semin.

Those defending McBain have a better argument than those disliking him.

Like the mention of Ellis (and what a story so far), but gotta add Peters, especially after last night. The reason I am sure we are playoff bound is that I am confident in both of our backups.

Muller. Absolutely. Mo who? JR, yes for getting J and Semin, but also for getting us a great coach.

As time passes and this thread winds out, Nash is starting to really challenge for the biggest upside surprise. Which is great for us.

Edited by remkin

So Jussi gets a pass but Rosey is fair game?  Don't get it...

No. I acknowledge that I don't blame people for listing Jussi. He did have a slow start. I'm really making more of a prediction. It is my opinion that Jussi is not a center and it shows. Jussi had a slow start last year w/ similar conditions, then came on strong in the back half of the year. I see that happening again. I see the skill out there. He almost scored last night. 

LaRose. I'm just not seeing it. That's my opinion, and I could be wrong, but at the end of the day, if you had to do without LaRose or Jussi, who would you pick? Really. 

Who has been your MVP?  Everyone else seems to be saying Staal and Semin.  I'm gonna differ a bit, because I am a defensive-minded guy.  I'm gonna go with #27 Justin Faulk.  We have been whining for a shut down defensemen, some areeven still talking about a trade for one with Cam Ward being injured.  Hello, MacFly, anybody home?  We have one, and his last name is Faulk.  Are you all even watching him play?  He was assigned the task of dealing with Cindy when we played the Pens, and held him to 4 shots.  That Faulk.  He'll never be a big checking guy, or a fighter...although
he dropped the gloves against the Kittys the other week.  What he does bring is an uncanny ability to read plays, steal the puck, and for a small guy, he wins his battles along the boards against top tier players.  Then he feeds that SST line for their rush into the offensive zone.  He pinches smartly, and has the ability to score.  What a gem we have here for the kid that everyone forgets he still is.

Honorable Mention:  Semin, because of what he has done to "unlock" that SST line.

Who has been your Surprise player to the upside? and why: Everyone else has been saying Tlusty.  Tlusty was always a pretty good player, but now with Semin and Staal on his line, I expect him to score, as the defense doesn't want to unzip Semin or Staal. Therefore, I vote for #77 Joey Corvo.  I have never been a Corvo fan, and earlier this season my feelings were validated.  However, ever since he was healthy scratched and brought back in with the A on his jersey while Timmy G out, he has come on with a vengeance, including his face goal on Holtby the other night.  I've always respected his speed and stopping power on his skates, it was his stick play and passing that was weak, but not anymore.  He has really come into his own this season, and certainly has been more of a leader on the blue line than Timmy....that to me is a "surprise".  Lets keep it that way Scorevo.

Honorable mention:  Jiri Tlusty, he is our leading goal scorer at the moment.  Could go to Dwyer too for his hustle.

Who has been your Dissapointment and why?  I will not pick on LaRose, I still admire his determination, even though it hasn't paid off this year.  Therefore, I'll go with Joni Pitkanen.  If you're reading this Joni....you need to toughen up, this is a shortened season.  Get on the ice with your team, fight through the pain for this team right now, they have a chance to win a cup, but it seems like he'd prefer to sit and rest a spell while we're in dire need of having him on the ice.  I still think that Joni is one of the best skaters/passers in the league, and I admire his play and tenacity.  I am beginning to question his dedication.  Maybe him not playing is not his call, I have no idea how that works, but Timmy had a fractured foot, and he is back out there. We're scratching our heads, you were supposed to be healthy at the start of this season. 

Honorable Mention:  Sanguenetti

Where do you think the Canes will end year? Position and points:  We will be 2nd or 3rd in the East, yeah, I have that kind of faith in this team. I think the Habs are a fluke, and they crumble.  Top teams in the East are obviously Pittsburgh, Boston, and Carolina.  What happened to the Rags?  They looked
good on paper.  64 points is where we end up.  I have high aspirations/expectations out of this team right now, even without Cam between the posts.

Hopefully the 3rd time I post this is the charm.  Had a board reset on me, losing my post, computer shut down to update without warning me, then a battery loss this morning.....eeek gats.

Tom

Edited by fpsndiver

* Anyone who has McBain in here is an idiot. +13? I'm sorry, how is that disappointing? What is he doing to generate such hate from the fans? He isn't going to score at the same pace as that 13 games  when he finished the season with us his (semi)first year. So what is it? I don't get it.

Those defending McBain have a better argument than those disliking him.

OK, fine, I've been called an idiot and now I'm told that I lost an argument when I didn't realise we had to defend our opinions, so here goes.  Try to figure this out, but if you can't don't worry because it's coming from 'an idiot'.

Wow, holy freaking crap... he's got a +13 +/-.  One good stat in a questionable catagory to say the least.  What is his role on the team?  He's an offensive defensemen who has 1 goal and 5 assists this season while facing the opposition's least productive lines.  The only defenseman with less goals is Gleason, a defensive defenseman, with 0 goals but 6 assists.  Gleason is on the top pairing which means he spends more time playing against the opposition's top lines.  McBain is on the third pairing, so he's on the ice for relief and power play (that amazing power play we have).

Just for comparison: McBain (1g 5a 10 PIM +13) - Corvo (4g 6a 12 PIM +9), Faulk (3g 7a 9 PIM +6), Harrison (3g 6a 36 PIM -3), Gleason (0g 6a 26 PIM +7), Pitkanen (1g 5a 4 PIM +9), Sanguinetti (1g 3a 4 PIM -3) so outside of the +/- what has McBain done to impress me?  And I guess Muller is on my side, too, because McBain is on the third pairing and not in the top 4.  Not to mention he sat out what, 5 games.  That's right, Sanguinetti has played in more games than McBain.

Considering how promising he looked in the last two seasons, McBain has disappointed me this season.  And by the way, I never said I disliked him, I said he was a disappointment so far this season.  And no, disappointment isn't hate.  He is capable of so much more and I want him to reach his potential.  But hey, it's just one idiot's opinion.