The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Wow. Jets lost again...

I just listened to the Jets getting trounced by the Caps. Their announcers agreed that the Jets have yet to play a full 60 minutes all year. Sound familiar?

The Jets have just played 5 games in 7 days, and by next Saturday that will be 9 games in 15 days.

The Canes HAVE played a full game several times this year. They have four days to get it together. If they can simply play for 60 minutes in each of their next five games, they should be in, and peaking at just the right time. 

The key?

It's not Peters.

Not the PP.

Not the PK.

It's SOG.

This team wins games when it showers the opposition with lots of shots in all three periods. At least 30 per game; 40 is better. Muller should be hammering this home like a pitching coach does pitch count - and I've got a feeling he is.  

Edited by top-shelf-1

the Jets are a very beatable team and by nest Tuesday a rested Canes team should have them "ripe for the pickings".  From now to the end of the reason every game mus be considered to be in the must win category

This really makes these next two games the most important games of the year in my eyes. Jets just lost 2, which helps mitigate some of the damage from our 5 game skid. So we have a couple of games in hand, and these next 2 games against the jets are each really worth 4 points. If we can manage to get 2 wins against the jets, we'll be in pretty good shape.

Forslund was saying last night that basically every team in the league outside of a couple, even very good teams have been up and down for stretches. If that is true, we are due an up stretch. Now would be good. 

I still think this team is capable of it. 

However, not if we have too many minor league D-men. That seems to correlate w/ trouble. 

Of course if Peters is not ready for a serious load....I think he is.

Peters makes me nervous in net------Am very comfortable with Ellis, however,

If we have to rely on Peters for the next four games, I don't see us making a run.

When we leave for the road trip next Wed-----I hope they take Ellis. It will be day 6

of his 7-10.    :crossfingers:

The Caps now have 29 points. They play again Sunday. If they win over the Rangers,

they will have 31 points. But if the Rangers win, they will jump over us to 8th, and we will

be out of the top eight. Kind of a no win situation. However---by Tuesday we will have 3

games in hand on the Jets and 2 on the Caps.

I think I need to stop watching the standings.

Edited by UNCCaniac8

The rays of optimistic sunshine starting to peak through those thick,dark clouds of pessimism..At least we are now back to controlling our own destiny, We just have to capitalize on these opportunity given to us by ironically the capitals ;)

Sweep the jets and we really put distance on the division, esp with the games in hand we have.. Time to get that Pitcher of kool-aid ready again I hope

I dunno guys...it's gonna take more than shots on goal...it's gonna take CONFIDENCE, which the team doesn't have right now...it's gonna take a capable power play, which the team doesn't have right now...it's gonna take real defense, which the team doesn't have right now.

It just seems like the wheels have come off in the past two weeks, and I don't know if the next two games will give us time to put them back on...but I sure as hell hope they do!

I think I need to stop watching the standings.

That makes two of us

Edited by AWACSooner

I am hoping that NJ game was a slap in the face. Muller had been mostly trying to stay positive, but when the team laid that sulfurous egg, it was in your face time. I know it's tough trying to handle a fragile team, but if we truly have the coach we thought we had, he'll make good use of the only 4 day break of the entire year as a kind of mid-season training camp. 

First tear them a new one. Rest. Work them hard. Build them up. Rest. Build them up.

Or something like that. 

If we come out and lay a dud Tuesday. Panic button fully exposed.

While I know the coach prefers Ellis, Peters is competent and can win games.

If Peters goes down. Panic button gets pushed.

Edited by remkin

If we come out and lay a dud Tuesday. Panic button fully exposed.

Win or lose, if they can't find a way to compete at their highest level on Tues against the Jets....I'll push the button for you. 

Win or lose, if they can't find a way to compete at their highest level on Tues against the Jets....I'll push the button for you. 

You always have been able to push my buttons.  :poke:

JUST KIDDING!!! It was just too good to leave there.

You always have been able to push my buttons.  :poke:

JUST KIDDING!!! It was just too good to leave there.

button_zps327066fb.jpg

I dunno guys...it's gonna take more than shots on goal...it's gonna take CONFIDENCE, which the team doesn't have right now...it's gonna take a capable power play, which the team doesn't have right now...it's gonna take real defense, which the team doesn't have right now.

This team has enough closers (scorers) that shots are the quickest way to regain that confidence. Even when they were rolling the PP was only fair, defense held up without Gleason and Pitkanen, The problem is that a lack of scoring puts undue pressure on any defense. Teams win games in this league when they score three goals or more, and that same fact leads is why the PP is not as important as it once was. Until the past five games, this team was far, far better 5 on 5 than it has been since '06, and than it has been on the PP for the past three years.

Pucks on net - and not before we gain the offensive zone by carrying the puck across the blue line - will do the trick.

Pucks on net - and not before we gain the offensive zone by carrying the puck across the blue line - will do the trick.

And that right there is one of the biggest problems we've seen the past few games.  Most teams now know the way to stop the Canes' scorers is to stand them up in the neutral zone and not allow them to carry the puck into the offensive zone.  How much dump and chase have we seen lately?  About as much as we did when Paul Maurice was here.  Problem is, if you can't carry in the puck and you're not winning the battles to retrieve the puck after dumping it in, odds are pretty good you won't have enough possession to generate many shots, never mind good scoring chances.

Winning battles is all about compete level and effort.  Adjusting to the neutral zone trap (and modified trap) is about coaching strategy.  I can't argue that they won't score goals until they shoot the puck at the net but this team is dominant when their forcheck is relentless.  And the forcheck is relentless when the team has confidence they can out-skate and out-battle anyone.

And that right there is one of the biggest problems we've seen the past few games.  Most teams now know the way to stop the Canes' scorers is to stand them up in the neutral zone and not allow them to carry the puck into the offensive zone.  How much dump and chase have we seen lately?  About as much as we did when Paul Maurice was here.  Problem is, if you can't carry in the puck and you're not winning the battles to retrieve the puck after dumping it in, odds are pretty good you won't have enough possession to generate many shots, never mind good scoring chances.

Winning battles is all about compete level and effort.  Adjusting to the neutral zone trap (and modified trap) is about coaching strategy.  I can't argue that they won't score goals until they shoot the puck at the net but this team is dominant when their forcheck is relentless.

Agree, although I can't get behind (and don't believe you're suggesting) that "forechecking" is an apt term to apply to the "chase" part of "dump and chase." Forechecking is what a team does - and what this team DID - when the other side WON control of the puck in their own end. That is subtly but importantly different from dump and chase, which is sacrificing possession of the puck BEFORE you've gained the zone on the hope that you'll get it back. It's a strategy that doesn't work over the long term, as Maurice 2.0 (or was it 3.0?!) proved.

You're right that we're facing a trap, but I don't think (and again, don't think you're suggesting) that dump/chase is our only option in overcoming it. The goal should ALWAYS be to gain the zone with possession, except in those rare instances when a forward sees a D-man is dozing and is sure he can "pass to himself" and beat the other guy to the puck (chip and charge).

The solution to the modified trap is one more pass between the red line and the offensive blue, hitting one of two cutting forwards. All it takes to open that up is a drop pass to a trailing D-man, who then picks the most open of the two criss-crossing forwards. Establishing this option early will open up more direct carries as the game goes on, but it takes practice to get it down. Something the Canes have the luxury of now for four days, and which the Jets will not have had in any meaningful amount for 10 days by Tuesday night.

WE CAN DO THIS!!!

Edited by top-shelf-1

Sounds like we're pretty close in our opinions and observations and I agree, dump and chase shouldn't be the first choice of any team unless they're 100% sure they can retrieve the puck and attempts to carry the puck into the zone havn't worked.  Alex Semin is the only player as of late that's been able to carry the puck into the zone successfully but how many times has he looked to make a pass once he's established himself but no one is there with him to receive it? 

Lets hope practice makes perfect the next few days but remember, the opposing team is making adjustments too.  From what I've observed, this team might have a plan A but I've yet to see the plan B or C when A isn't getting it done.

I haven't seen the Jets play this season so I have no idea what they've been doing to have the success they have but this will make a great GDT discussion. ;)

Sounds like we're pretty close in our opinions and observations and I agree, dump and chase shouldn't be the first choice of any team unless they're 100% sure they can retrieve the puck and attempts to carry the puck into the zone havn't worked.  Alex Semin is the only player as of late that's been able to carry the puck into the zone successfully but how many times has he looked to make a pass once he's established himself but no one is there with him to receive it? 

Lets hope practice makes perfect the next few days but remember, the opposing team is making adjustments too.  From what I've observed, this team might have a plan A but I've yet to see the plan B or C when A isn't getting it done.

Agree. I was glad to see how p*ssed Muller was after the game, and talking about practice and earning ice time. He's one of the smartest guys in hockey and I don't think he'll tolerate Semin having no help for very long.

Good starter topic,  top shelf, havent read your posts before, i dont think, we have to get back winning the battles along boards, and yes, shots on net, we were  first in the league at about 40 during the winning  streak.. and the craps have kept the door open, and yes, this division goes down to final game i think..

I can understand the Canes' defensive woes given the spate of injuries.  But I cannot understand why the Canes' offense is so under performing

Sounds like we're pretty close in our opinions and observations and I agree, dump and chase shouldn't be the first choice of any team unless they're 100% sure they can retrieve the puck and attempts to carry the puck into the zone havn't worked...

I like the dump (or chip) and chase as one tool to counter the neutral zone blockage.  If the dump is made at speed and when the d-man is facing the Canes player, the rules help too.  The refs, at least early in the season (seems less so lately), were consistently calling interference when the d-man held up the chasing o-man after he'd dumped the puck in.  So if done with thinking and with speed, the dump/chip and chase is certainly an improvement over the lazy dump/hard wrap in or the all to often neutral zone turnover.

Edited by Red_Storm

Good starter topic,  top shelf, havent read your posts before, i dont think, we have to get back winning the battles along boards, and yes, shots on net, we were  first in the league at about 40 during the winning  streak.. and the craps have kept the door open, and yes, this division goes down to final game i think..

Thanks All Star. I'm not here as much as I used to be; work and other demands have made it hard to come around. But after hearing the Jets' announcers decrying the same lack of effort we've seen in Carolina for the past several years - along with the way it's turned around (for the most part) since Muller's hiring, I had to put this out there. The Jets have improved markedly, no doubt, and Kane is really coming into his own. But if we can regain the focus we've had much of the year - and I think we can - we'll be fine.

I would also be remiss, after my steady critique of E. Staal over the past few seasons (some would call it relentless :) if I did not add, in very big letters:

THIS is what I've been talking about Eric! I knew you could do it, I'm elated that you are, and remember: You can CONTINUE to do it - no matter who happens to be on your wing(s).

Edited by top-shelf-1

No thanks.  I was there.  The Canes owned the forecheck and we made a living of making teams pay for penalties chasing us in the process.  Our PP was deadly.

Our PP% in the playoffs during the Cup year.  Guess who's numero uno?

:)

Edited by coastal_caniac

No thanks.  I was there.  The Canes owned the forecheck and we made a living of making teams pay for penalties chasing us in the process.  Our PP was deadly.

Our PP% in the playoffs during the Cup year.  Guess who's numero uno?

:)

All due respect, I was there too, coastal. Dump and chase under Laviolette was a last resort, as it is under any coach with a clue. (Which explains why Paul Maurice is now coaching in the KHL.)

But just for the sake of argument, let's say the Canes actually did dump and chase in '06. It wouldn't change the fact that THIS team has NOT won a Stanley Cup playing that way - because THIS team is not THAT team, by any stretch of the imagination.

What's buttered the bread for the Canes this year is puck possession, which is the key to winning hockey games. It's a major reason the PP was so good in '06: Brindy won face-offs in the offense end with the man advantage. Same logic explains why we've been so good at even strength this year: When you carry the puck into the zone, you control your own destiny. When you throw it in from the neutral zone in hopes you'll get it back, you flip a coin.

This truth is further borne out in our current PP. It's still not where it needs to be, but you can correlate its (excruciatingly) slow improvement with Eric Staal's increasing proficiency taking faceoffs. When you control the puck off the O-zone faceoff on the PP, setting up is easy. To his credit, E has worked hard on that aspect of his game and it's beginning to pay off a little. (Although I'd be putting him on the wing and letting his brother take faceoffs on the first unit, with Jokinen taking them on the second unit. But I digress.)

My point: A team may get lucky and win a game here and there despite the other team controlling the puck - but any coach (except Mo) will tell you that is not fundamentally sound hockey, which is what coaches like Lavi and Muller insist upon from their players. The way THIS team has had success so far is by gaining the zone with possession, and the past five games indicate they'd be wise to continue doing so.

Edited by top-shelf-1