The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

Probability Canes make the playoffs (2012-2013 season)

Yeah Greg, I think I'm right, and not only right, but dead on.  I'd say our chances of making the playoffs are essentially zero. 

And I honestly think most Canes fans believe the same thing.

Nothing against your simulation, but it's a little late in the game to think that 16.7% is statistically different than zero.  Feel free to show me with your math if it isn't please.  And this is coming from a guy who really likes stats.

And ya know, Edenton and the Albemarle Sound area is quite beautiful, and a great place to live.  It's not crowded like the OBX and full of tourons.

Hey dont leave out the Pamlico area...

Yes.  Very slimey.  Gooey.  Stinky.  :)

Winnepig won,  Washington won, Canes lost.  Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark in Greg's stats.

Love it when I'm accurate. haha

I've lurked around the edge of this thread without commenting. Exactly what has this team done in the last 3 weeks to make anybody think they are capable of flipping the switch and winning enough games to climb the mountain? They have zero chance and they play like they know it. They win few puck battles, hit nobody, play matador defense with their sticks, and skate about chasing the puck.

Playoffs? You're talking about playoffs?

No reason to think they'll turn around, Fully agree SuperD1.

So after our loss last night, and WAS, WPEG, NYI and of course the NYR all winning...

The math naturally gets worse, a lot worse.... 

as of 4-7-2013

TEAM           AVG RANK   AVG PTS    %MAKE PO
pit                  1.47      69.01    1.00000
mon                  2.05      66.88    1.00000
bos                  2.57      65.03    0.99999
tor                  4.76      57.47    0.98287
ott                  5.11      56.67    0.96366
nyr                  7.03      53.09    0.76212
nyi                  7.80      51.92    0.62694
was                  7.97      51.70    0.77501
nj                   9.35      49.82    0.31611
win                 10.19      48.74    0.26454
phi                 10.62      48.14    0.14619
buf                 11.52      46.88    0.07015
tb                  12.33      45.59    0.03515
car                 12.59      45.15    0.05676
fl                  14.63      40.27    0.00051

Clearly nice odds now for the Rangers and Caps. And the Islanders are looking solid too.

For us, we have a decent chance of "catching" TB and finishing 14th overall in the East.  

In turn, I was hoping if we continue to tank, passing FL and TB and drafting SETH JONES (D)  would be a possibility.  But, even that ray of hope for next year isn't likely as CO is the clear odds-on-favorite for him now, even with us winning just 2 or 3 more the rest of the way.   Jones going back home to Denver certainly will be a big story line during the draft.

The good news for us?  Canes should get a top-5 draft pick next year, just not likely to be Jones (the one I think we really need)!

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

I may be a "newer" fan, but I have never been as depressed about a team before. Totally gutted that out chances are pretty much over... Another year of watching two teams I don't care about in the finals.... :(

I may be a "newer" fan, but I have never been as depressed about a team before. Totally gutted that out chances are pretty much over... Another year of watching two teams I don't care about in the finals.... :(

now that the Canes are all but mathematically eliminated the only team I care about will be in a negative way: just want to see the Crapitals eliminated

Well, it's been a hilarious thread almost from the start.  I hope it continues, but I can always flip back and read about the Canes "53% chance to make the playoffs" if I need to.

Well, it's been a hilarious thread almost from the start.  I hope it continues, but I can always flip back and read about the Canes "53% chance to make the playoffs" if I need to.

When you are done reading that, you can flip to the STH renewal brochure, and read JR's humorous note:

Though our team has faced some adversity this season with injuries, we feel confident that we have a roster capable

of a deep run in this year’s playoffs.

now that the Canes are all but mathematically eliminated the only team I care about will be in a negative way: just want to see the Crapitals eliminated

1st round bounce

At this point, several teams would need to lose out, and the Canes win out. And that's impossible. Some of those teams ahead of the Canes play each other. But, I don't know many people still clinging to the "If the Canes get on a hot streak" train of thought, except for Tripp Tracy. 

I'm more concerned with hoping that Florida and Calgary pass the Canes in the overall standings! Finishing 29th would be better than finishing 27th or 26th. 

Edited by TheBigKahuna

clinging to the "If the Canes get on a hot streak" train of thought, except for Tripp Tracy. 

I'm more concerned with hoping that Florida and Calgary pass the Canes in the overall standings! Finishing 29th would be better than finishing 27th or 26th. 

I agree with The Big K!!!

at least Canes management changed the jumbotron message and only promoted the 10% discount on drinks and food for the full and 26 game STH