The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canes-in-7

$15 parking next year- Outrageous!

bottom line is this:  the Canes are going to have to deal with the consequences of their pricing decisions and the product they put on the ice.  what I don't want to see is what is happening with the Panthers in the team going to government asking for taxpayer money to fund improvements to their stadium  I do not want to see Gale Force Holdings going to county/city government asking for improvements to the PNC Arena b/c the team is losing money

It's really strange how much tacit support I'm reading here about such a huge increase. I dont think anyone begrudges a business from trying to maintain profitability. However, in this case the increase is 50%!! You dont have to be disabled, a college student, or low on discretionary funds to understand that a 50% increase in *anything* is huge.

So those of you that dont have a real problem with the increase are ok if your cable bill goes up 50%? Doubt it. How about a 50% increase in gasoline? etc etc.

A 50% increase is simply the organization making up their lost revenue from this year's lockout off of the fans backs. It stinks especially from a losing team! There will undoubtably be fewer college kids at the games and those that used to view the team as a real entertainment value will now think much harder about going to the games. Bad move Canes!! Those Blue Jacket and Islanders games next year are going to be played in a half empty building. The other divisional games will see the building filled with opposing fans. I re-upped, but next year could be it for me. I have to assume that concessions are going up next year too.

Spot on!.. and that's my real beef.. did I expect an increase? yes.. but the usual 10-20%( which is still higher than inflation or any COLA increase FWIW).. a 50% increase isnt a "cost of business".. but a "greed" option

No idea what your definition of a losing team is. Here's mine:

1) No playoffs since 2009

2) Dropped from 3rd to 10th place and will likely miss the playoffs again for a 4th season in a row

3) Sports is a "what have you done for me lately" kind of thing. Get over the Cup win in 06 and the ECF in 09. Ancient history now.

Just because they are currently a game or so over 500 does not make them a winner. As of right now, this IS a losing team. I did not say the players are losers or that the organization is a loser, etc. The team is a loser by most standard sports definitions. I hope they turn it around, but I'm losing confidence by the day.

Some other guy mentioned Boston's $25 parking and you mention the cost of doing business keeps going up. News flash! This aint Boston and small market teams cant take a chance of pricing themselves out of the market. I think the Canes are taking a big gamble. Raise the price on everything (considerably) and still ice a perennially losing team? The college kids will be the least of their worries. It's guys like me with real dispoable income that might decide that their entertainment dollars are better spent elsewhere.

First of all this isn't a losing team.

Secondly why would fewer college kids go to games? Are you telling me college kids go to the games by themselves and drive their own car? I seriously doubt that. Most college kids go to the games in groups and if between the 2,3,4,etc of them they can't afford $15 to park then their parents didn't teach them very good money management skills.

And you know what, concession prices might go up next year. You know why? Because prices go up. It's the way business works. Wendy's used to have a $1 Value Menu but guess what, they don't any more. The Hurricanes are not some charity and trust me, they've done their homework regarding what this market will bear regarding the ancillary costs of going to a hockey game and I will frankly be stunned if they see a dip in attendance next year due to a $5 increase in parking fees.

Here's the difference between Raleigh and Boston.  Boston's stadium is right in the middle of the city where all parking is expensive so $25 isn't out of the ordinary.  Raleigh's stadium was built on an old cow pasture with TONS of empty land around it for parking in a city where people complain about going downtown on a Friday night because they don't want to pay $5 for parking. 

So yea this isn't Boston's parking situation.

I am glad to see they are offering a discount on the parking pass for season ticket holders though.  Previously it was $7 vs $10, now it'll be $10 vs $15.

I don't understand the issue.  If you can't afford to park, just have your private helicopter drop you off and pick you up after.  At least that's what my wife Marie said anyway...

I wasn't trying to say I thought Raleigh was Boston. Thank God it isn't I was just saying that the team is going to find ways to pay for the big contracts to compete with the Boston type markets unfortunately its the fans that have to pay or make the choice not to go. That being said its time for this team to start playing like a team worth spending extra money to watch.

The good crowds this year are a function of taking full season ticket holders, plus making former 26 game season ticket holders into 18 game season ticket holders, plus taking three  former 12 game ticket packages and making them into 10 game packages after the lockout.  Squeezing all these folks into a 24 game schedule has resulted in higher attendance and even sellouts at most games.  We'll see about fan frustration with increased ticket and parking prices when we play Columbus at home next October. 

The good crowds this year are a function of taking full season ticket holders, plus making former 26 game season ticket holders into 18 game season ticket holders, plus taking three  former 12 game ticket packages and making them into 10 game packages after the lockout.  Squeezing all these folks into a 24 game schedule has resulted in higher attendance and even sellouts at most games.  We'll see about fan frustration with increased ticket and parking prices when we play Columbus at home next October. 

exactly, know many that stayed STH, only because such a short season and already had money w/canes, so really not that much out of pocket this year.. next year will be a completely different story IMO

Lots of talk about this in our section the other night. Granted, signing Staal and Semin cost some money, along with keeping Ward and Eric happy. The payroll has gone up, no doubt. However, right now it's not generating the wins that most of us expected. Injuries have played a part, but we're not a depth team and teams with some depth get through the injuries and tend to make the playoffs.

I dont eat a lot in the arena. But if beer prices go up 30% or more, I wont be happy at all. I'll swallow the parking increase for next season. My main concern is to see this team move forward into the playoffs. Winning solves most of these types of gripes. We're not winning now and the hole is getting deeper. Another losing season (next year) could spell real trouble for the team's STH base.

My main concern is to see this team move forward into the playoffs. Winning solves most of these types of gripes. We're not winning now and the hole is getting deeper. Another losing season (next year) could spell real trouble for the team's STH base

Exactly  With a deep.playoff run.  most STH will pay the increase and more will sign up for next season.   Miss the playoffs yet again could spell trouble for renewals and new ticket holders.  I will wait until the deadline for renewals.  If by then there is a good chance the Canes will make the playoffs I will sign-up for a 12 pack.  If not I will get tickets from Stubhub for an game or two at best

Exactly  With a deep.playoff run.  most STH will pay the increase and more will sign up for next season.   Miss the playoffs yet again could spell trouble for renewals and new ticket holders.  I will wait until the deadline for renewals.  If by then there is a good chance the Canes will make the playoffs I will sign-up for a 12 pack.  If not I will get tickets from Stubhub for an game or two at best

Think stubhub may be more active then renewls  soon.. ughhhh!

Wow, you folks are spoiled!  It cost more than $15 to park for Whalers games when the team was in Hartford and that was 16 years ago!  I doubt you can park at any other NHL arena for $15.   And there are tickets for sale on StubHub for less than $10.   Seems like a family of four can go to a game for less than $100, including parking and maybe soft drinks as well.  For most NHL teams, $100 might get you one game ticket...  

Wow, you folks are spoiled!  It cost more than $15 to park for Whalers games when the team was in Hartford and that was 16 years ago!  I doubt you can park at any other NHL arena for $15.   And there are tickets for sale on StubHub for less than $10.   Seems like a family of four can go to a game for less than $100, including parking and maybe soft drinks as well.  For most NHL teams, $100 might get you one game ticket...  

Hell that doesn't even reimburse my ticket to the Joe last season to see the Canes vs. the Wings...

...oh wait, my seats were on the glass...nevermind.  ;)

(But parking there was $25)

In all sports, if the team wins the fans tend to gripe a lot less about money. This team has collapsed and a rebuild is in order. Of course tickets are cheap on Stubhub now. JR himself said that the timing for the increases couldn't be any worse. A lot of fans are now doubting their committment to the team and I understand that. Your suggestion that the Canes are inexpensive compared to the rest of the league is incorrect. I'm sure you can get Tampa, Phoenix, and Dallas tix real cheap right now too. Tickets for BOS, NY, PIT, etc will always be expensive. We're called a small-market team for a reason. These avg ticket price stats are from 11-12...

23 Carolina Hurricanes 41.58 24 St. Louis Blues 41.57 25 Colorado Avalanche 40.62 26 Buffalo Sabres 38.25 27 Tampa Bay Lightning 37.73 28 Anaheim Ducks 36.94 29 Phoenix Coyotes 36.15 30 Dallas Stars 29.95

My experience is that I can always get my money back even if the team is a loser, so I re-upped for the full season. I've done it with no problem the last three seasons, so I'm not worried about losing a dime. However, spolied or not, fans are not happy with either the team or the increases. That spells trouble for the franchise. Several cities are getting ready to host expansion teams or to accept relocated ones. I'd hate to see the Canes end up on the short list of teams that are candidates to move. 

This is outrageous.  It wont affect me as am I in Kansas and get to go to one home game a season. 

Isnt this on the people who run the arena not the Canes? As I understand it, since State and the Canes utilize the same arena the parking is handled by one company.  The Canes and State get a portion of the parking money associated with games.

I could be way off but I swear that was in the arena agreement.  I am looking it up but not having much luck finding the arrangements made.

Yes, this discussion came up when they bumped it from 8$ to 10$ a couple years ago.  It's not the TEAM that charges parking. It's the ARENA and the people who own the LAND that those spaces sit on.  The team is just a rent paying tenant just like when a concert comes to town the arena people get a cut of the door money for getting to use the space.  

Yes, this discussion came up when they bumped it from 8$ to 10$ a couple years ago.  It's not the TEAM that charges parking. It's the ARENA and the people who own the LAND that those spaces sit on.  The team is just a rent paying tenant just like when a concert comes to town the arena people get a cut of the door money for getting to use the space.  

that is incorrect, the canes through their "gale force holding" subsidary are the one's that own the LAND and collect the fees. And as Karmonos owns 100% of gale force media, the money still goes to him, he is just moving the money from one pocket to the other

While its hard to find documentation of canes/gale force holding stuff, here is an article on heck,  how the canes make 40% of the parking revenue of NC State games and related events( and obviously 100% of canes games):

http://www.ncsu.edu/news/press_releases/02_09/245.htm

NC State's agreement on parking reached with Gale Force Holdings resolves a dispute over distribution of revenue over the past three years and, more important, answers how

future revenue will be divided. Fox said after the Board's meeting that NC State would receive 60 percent of future parking revenue related to certain university events held at the arena and Gale Force, which manages the facility, would receive 40 percent.

Edited by canes-in-7

From the PNC Website. "Construction on the $158 million Arena began with a groundbreaking ceremony on July 22, 1997. PNC Arena doors opened for business in October 1999, representing the culmination of the collaborative efforts of a unique partnership known as the Centennial Authority. In part due to a grant from the State of North Carolina, the Centennial Authority owns PNC Arena building and the surrounding 80 acres, while the facility itself is operated by the Carolina Hurricanes/Gale Force Sports & Entertainment."

From the Centennial Authority Website "The Centennial Authority was created by an act of the General Assembly in 1995 to study, design, plan, construct, own and operate a regional, multi-purpose facility, which was to become the PNC Arena and home to tenants North Carolina State Wolfpack men’s basketball and the Carolina Hurricanes hockey franchise. Twenty-one members serve as a volunteer board appointed by leaders from the State of North Carolina, Wake County, the City of Raleigh, and the Wake County Mayors. The Chancellor of North Carolina State University serves in accordance with the authorizing statute. Since the arena opened on October 29, 1999, the Authority, as owners, continue to provide facility oversight, finance monitoring, operations, upgrades, new additions and all activities associated with owner responsibility of ensuring this multi-million dollar, multi-purpose arena will remain a first-class facility for the people of the state and region that it serves.       "

No mention anywhere of "Gale Force" or Karmonos. 

Centennial Authority owns PNC Arena building and the surrounding 80 acres, while the facility itself is operated by the Carolina Hurricanes/Gale Force Sports & Entertainment."

uh that is where the mention of hurricanes/gale force holdings is mentioned.

The "centennial authority" own the land, but for $2mill/yr( used to be $3 million but renegotiated down to $2 mill a few years back), the canes/gale force holding get *all* revenue from canes games, and as seen above 40% of the parking from wolfpack games.. the centenial authority doesn't get a dime or make any decsions about parking or rates.. that is the canes and gale force holdings. So in essence as said a few times all revenue from and to canes from parking. To put it in laymens terms, its like the canes rented a house, and you and I are tenents in the house.. we pay the canes, for being in the house

here ya go:

The Carolina Hurricanes and its subsidiary, Gale Force Holdings, are trying to re-negotiate their lease with the RBC Center with the local group that operates the building, the Centennial Authority.

Presently the lease is valid until the year 2019, but the Canes are asking that the rent be lowered from $3 million to $2 million per year in exchange for adding 5 years on the lease. I’m not an expert on lease negotiations or what the market value is on an arena that can seat 18,600 people—but it doesn’t seem logical to me that the rent could be lowered that significantly.

http://www.chathamjournal.com/weekly/sports/professional/hurricanes-extend-rbc-lease-80614.shtml

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5116-hurricanes-seeking-redo-of-rbc-center-lease

All the other arenas that I have been to are accessible by public transportation. Nice cheap way to save money.

WITH THE WAY THE CANES ARE PLAYING NOW THEY MAY HAVE TO PAY US 15.00 BUCKS TO EVEN SHOW UP AT THE GAMES!!

That's why I park for free & donate more money to beer...normally the more I drink the better the Canes look...Lately, I get cut off before the canes start to look good!!! :spin:

Edited by rocheccw

That's why I park for free & donate more money to beer...normally the more I drink the better the Canes look...Lately, I get cut off before the canes start to look good!!! :spin:

Not a bad idea at all, in light of the recent play of the canes, unfort. think many membbers of the canes are following your idea also ;)

If you guys need some good German beer, you know who to contact ;)

J. Betskis at seaboard station has some good German beers!!! Along with some good German / polish food...& the best dessert on the planet...the chocolate hazelnut torte!!! It has sea salt & crispy BACON!