The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
RonnieFranchise

Are You Happy With Rutherfords Performance?

Jim Rutherford  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Happy With Rutherfords Performance?

• Yes
    • No

after tonight's stinker of a game I would bring in Forsulnd as GM.  he has a wealth of hockey knowledge.   just doesn't know the "business" end of the game

I'm not that happy with JR. First and foremost, I think he totally neglected to approach all those board members for advice who, many months ago, correctly predicted that after we led the division we would suffer a slew of key injuries, then a major team meltdown and persisting disfuntional special teams would send us spiraling out of playoff contention. Not to mention, how to convince other GMs to trade one of their sought after d-men to us for a bunch of wannabe's or has-beens.

I'm not that happy with JR. First and foremost, I think he totally neglected to approach all those board members for advice who, many months ago, correctly predicted that after we led the division we would suffer a slew of key injuries, then a major team meltdown and persisting disfuntional special teams would send us spiraling out of playoff contention. Not to mention, how to convince other GMs to trade one of their sought after d-men to us for a bunch of wannabe's or has-beens.

Somehow Ottawa is finding a way...just sayin

I voted YES...  

but the more I ponder it and think about mgmt and motivational factors you need from a leader and a GM, the more I wish i could change my vote to NO.

1) JR's re-hiring of MO? (his buddy)
2) JR's favouritism signing Jordan and giving him the A on the jersey
3) his almost comical recycles
4) on and on.   

Point being, some bad draft picks and trades are one thing, but running it like an old boys club, being to conservative, and hurting motivational levels along the way is another!!

I'd really like to see JR hand his GM role to a newcomer while he remains on as a special consultant/advisor then retires in 2-3 years.

2) JR's favouritism signing Jordan and giving him the A on the jersey

3) his almost comical recycles

I'd really like to see JR hand his GM role to a newcomer while he remains on as a special consultant/advisor then retires in 2-3 years.

These two over the summer left me scratching my head...Jordan did NOT deserve the A just because...you earn that...and JR/Kirk just gifted it to him. 

That being said, it's time to groom Franchise...he's our next GM and needs to start learning the ropes.

Ever thought about who are the "common elements" throughout years of frustration, broken promises and frequent futility???  That's right Jim & Pete!  Come on they think we are rubes that will swallow their BS/

Jim Rutherford really should step down after this years debacle. I know that the last six seasons of failure are not all on him but he has made some glaring mistakes.

1. FA signings that went wrong.
  2. Trading a player and then having to trade to get the same player back.
  3. Draft choices that did not pan out.
  4. Over paying certain players.
  5. Handing out no trade clauses like candy.
  6. Letting impending free agents walk at the end of the year for nothing.

Every GM makes mistakes but not this many for this long. If JR was not part owner of this team he would have been relieved of his duties long ago.

. If JR was not part owner of this team he would have been relieved of his duties long ago.

so it comes down to firing himself.  since 1997  the Canes have one CUP and three conference finals.  Yes he did sign two high dollar forwards but only one has performed up to his contract. With the new conference unless major changes are made to the team it will contend for the cellar rather

Darn shame JR traded away Andrew Ladd for Ruu.  

I like #15, but lets face it, he's no Andrew Ladd (29 and 28 goals over last two full seasons).  

Ladd was an elite top-4 draft pick!  Not to mention he's 3+ years younger than Ruu and coming into his prime, where its prob safe to say Ruu is moving past his..

Image Ladd in our top-6 now and moving forward!!

Bottom line -- JR really didn't do us any favors with that one! 

Could be worse...could be the Oilers...who just canned ther GM today

And here is one comment coming from Oilers fan about the firing:

How in the hell does Kevin Lowe STILL have a job??? I am a life long Oiler fan....... this organization NEEDS to look outside of its walls !!!! It is clear that there are better hockey minds than the ones that played here years ago. FIRE KEVIN LOWE !!!

I think the Canes need to do the same.  I am sure J.R. is on VERY thin ice now.  

Could be worse...could be the Oilers...who just canned ther GM today

Oilers are an enigma to me, they've drafted so well for so long.  Wonder why they can't put it all together, sure seemed like they were getting close.

Oilers are an enigma to me, they've drafted so well for so long.  Wonder why they can't put it all together, sure seemed like they were getting close.

To me, they don't have and haven't had a true veteran leader presence on their roster that can put the puck in the net when it's needed most. I just don't like Horcoff, Hemsky isn't a leader, and Ryan Smyth retired right? Oh well.

Anyways I like JR's moves and I hate JR's moves. To be honest, the team was a joke after Cole walked and Eric played horribly. But that joke of a season led to Mo actually Go'ing :P and Muller coming in. Now tensions may be high after this disaster of a season, but honestly we aren't the only team that went through this, and a lot of teams that have are really talented teams. And unlike most of those teams we have a new coach, several new players, and we operated with no camp, no real formal introductions, and the team was thrown into the schedule. I honestly think Muller has at least another chance with next season. When we've been losing we have been doing many things right, but lack of chemistry means less conversions on scoring chances. We lacked any real help in goal as well. Time will mend those things.

The team JR had before last offseason was a guaranteed cellar dweller. He got us a second line center at the cost of our third++, and got us a top 3 winger in Free Agency. The rest of the signings were not really anything special, besides maybe the pickup of Tim Wallace, and I got to give it to Corvo, he's playing much better than I anticipated. I liked JR getting J. Staal and Semin. I hate JR for not getting a real third line center to replace Sutter. That cause Jokinen to play a shutdown center with some scoring role that he doesn't do well. He's a finesse guy, feeds off of puck control and passing. So I'm glad he's in Pittsburgh now. (another horrible trade, Jokinen for nothing plus we eat his salary, woop!)

We have the top line, we have the 2/3rds of our second line (possibly the whole thing) and we have 6/3rds of a fourth line. We have a franchise goalie. We have a young high level prospect in Murphy who will immediately improve our powerplay and two or three young defensemen who impressed in the big leagues (Jordan, Bellemore, Sanguinetti?). What we lack is a top pair of defensemen, goaltending depth, and prospects who pan out.  I think people aren't realizing just how badly we got screwed when Cam Ward was out for the year, then half our blueline, then Faulk,  Semin, Skinner's concussion, etc. This year was a bad year for injuries. What makes it hard to accept is the fact guys like Eric, Tlusty, and Semin for the most part are playing good hockey, putting up points, and staying relatively healthy. Our third line needs an overhaul, our defense needs some real leaders on the blueline, and our goaltending needs to get healthy. Really, last year looking at the team, the problems were much much much worse. We needed a top line winger, a second line center, a new backup goalie, a couple of bruising defensemen, and a new coaching staff. We got the top line winger, the second line center and the backup goalie and coaching staff filled out. Think about the difficulty it is to land a top line winger in this league that doesn't cost you everything and the farm. Same goes for a second line center. Now JR has the challenge of getting a top pairing defenseman and a third line center. And considering how he did last year with a team that held no general interest of the hockey fans that aren't already Caniacs, and got us a ton of coverage and attention. 

I understand JR has made realllllly dumb moves before, but he's also made some realllly nice moves as well. And from his recent moves we really are better off. Take your anger and frustration from this season and swallow it, look forward to next year where Cam Ward won't play only a month of the season, the team has a training camp and pre-season, the schedule isn't nearly as compacted as this one, and we have a full 82 games. Sure, it would've been nice to make it immediately, but it came down to our luck not panning out. It doesn't have anything to do with our skill. We have that, we just got unlucky with injuries and failure to overcome them. I think Muller should show the team tapes of the Senators and drill into their heads that from now on, even with injuries as crucial as the Ward injury or Faulk injury or half the blueline injuries at once, we need to be able to put on a show, compete, and give ourselves a chance to win.

We have the top line, we have the 2/3rds of our second line (possibly the whole thing) and we have 6/3rds of a fourth line. We have a franchise goalie.

Quote and post of the day!  :thumbsup:

I've gone to the opinion of throwing out this season and giving Muller a full year.  This NHL season was just a complete <mess> for all involved, including the fans.  The teams that came in stable tend to be the ones doing pretty well.  Teams that made huge changes -- like the Canes -- are still finding their way.

Let Muller run the last games steady as he has.  I'll shut up about him talking about "doing the right things."  This is necessary now.

And despite what some say (I was rebuked last time), I think training camp does matter.  The guy hasn't had one yet.

The players need to get their personal stuff done too.  Move Grandma down to take care of the kids, hire whoever you need to finish off the house, etc.  Come ready next September and let's play this thing.

I know this post is about JR, but because of this chaos, his moves haven't gelled yet either.  Let's see what he does this summer and watch next year.  I am going to be very ticked if they miss the PO.s again next year.

Edited by wxray1

Quote and post of the day!  :thumbsup:

I've gone to the opinion of throwing out this season and giving Muller a full year.  This NHL season was just a complete <mess> for all involved, including the fans.  The teams that came in stable tend to be the ones doing pretty well.  Teams that made huge changes -- like the Canes -- are still finding their way.

Let Muller run the last games steady as he has.  I'll shut up about him talking about "doing the right things."  This is necessary now.

And despite what some say (I was rebuked last time), I think training camp does matter.  The guy hasn't had one yet.

The players need to get their personal stuff done too.  Move Grandma down to take care of the kids, hire whoever you need to finish off the house, etc.  Come ready next September and let's play this thing.

I know this post is about JR, but because of this chaos, his moves haven't gelled yet either.  Let's see what he does this summer and watch next year.  I am going to be very ticked if they miss the PO.s again next year.

Thank you! :] I tend to write, and write, and write, then post and realize I wrote a book. But that's how I get my steam off. And I think if we miss the playoffs next season there's going to be a lot of changes in the organization. Giving the team, the management, the ownership, etc. the benefit of the doubt this season may not be that appealing. Especially with how this season went down. But honestly, this is a situation where they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Yes Sucka, even I think that was a long post but good.

I continue to think that JR gets another year also. This one just got away. The moves he made should have worked better. We were still a year or two away from cup contention, but you just can't reload fast without some serious luck and or dropping down and getting a few top picks (though Edmonton is making that strategy look shakey).

I have heard that the typical GM gets three coaches before it's on them. I would assume that a Stanley Cup resets that, and a deep playoff run has to factor in also. There is just no way that JR pulls the rip cord on Muller. In the end, if he did, it would probably hasten JR's demise more. Everybody will get a Mulligan on this weird season.

That said, my own opinion of JR will be reached based on what he does this offseason. If this same team misses the playoffs or even starts out really bad, I'd be for letting him go. If ever there was a time where the need on defense was more glaring, I don't remember it.

If we get a nice draft pick, and can make some kind of move for a top pair dman, the rest is fine tuning.

We don't have a heck of a lot of tradable assets though. Maybe after dumping Jussi, LaRose, and some other salaries he can find a FA. Anyway, fixing the defense is key. Can he do it?

Then why dump Jussi?

Salary  and cap space.  For whatever reason, he wasn't fitting.  Yes, he is performing miracles at Pittsburgh, just like he did here in '09.  '09 is long gone in Raleigh.

JR got himself in the budget box, so this was one attempt to get space in his box.  Let's see what he does with that space.

Edited by wxray1

Yes Sucka, even I think that was a long post but good.

We don't have a heck of a lot of tradable assets though. Maybe after dumping Jussi, LaRose, and some other salaries he can find a FA. Anyway, fixing the defense is key. Can he do it?

Thanks   :D

He better do it. The fans, the media, the players on the team, probably even Muller is calling for something on the backend to happen. If we don't have the cap, we still have two buyouts, and there's several contracts that are a bit pricey for what we get in return. I know JR has the ability to get a trade made, but we can't really even speculate yet. Once the year is over and we see the movement that's destined to happen with the cap hit falling and who gets bought out, we'll have a better idea of what's available out there and the pricetags attached.

EDIT: Off topic, go check out the NHL 14 trailer. There's a few nice 'Canes highlights in there. (Yeah, I know, THAT'S A FIRST)

EDIT2: Back on topic, people were talking about the J. Staal trade and how J. Staal has been underperforming. Look at Sutter lately: 

Brandon Sutter -- The Penguins have been looking for other players to step up and provide offense in the absence of Sidney Crosby. Sutter hasn't been generating any for the past few weeks -- he's gone 10 games without producing a point for a team that's 19-2-0 in its past 21 games.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

While J. is not producing like I think he will, he is producing as well as most second line centers. Just his plus minus needs a bit of work, and I think he'll be a 60-70 point type guy when he gets it totally together, but I am fully in the camp that he will be very good long term.

Edited by remkin

I still have faith in JR. He didnt give Cole the big contract and look at him now. He has brought in many players that people shook their head at that worked well. Of course some didnt. Looking forward to the draft and free agency. Hoping we get this thing turned around next year. In the mean time I will keep loving and cheering for my Canes!

To me, they don't have and haven't had a true veteran leader presence on their roster that can put the puck in the net when it's needed most. I just don't like Horcoff, Hemsky isn't a leader, and Ryan Smyth retired right? Oh well.

Anyways I like JR's moves and I hate JR's moves. To be honest, the team was a joke after Cole walked and Eric played horribly. But that joke of a season led to Mo actually Go'ing :P and Muller coming in. Now tensions may be high after this disaster of a season, but honestly we aren't the only team that went through this, and a lot of teams that have are really talented teams. And unlike most of those teams we have a new coach, several new players, and we operated with no camp, no real formal introductions, and the team was thrown into the schedule. I honestly think Muller has at least another chance with next season. When we've been losing we have been doing many things right, but lack of chemistry means less conversions on scoring chances. We lacked any real help in goal as well. Time will mend those things.

The team JR had before last offseason was a guaranteed cellar dweller. He got us a second line center at the cost of our third++, and got us a top 3 winger in Free Agency. The rest of the signings were not really anything special, besides maybe the pickup of Tim Wallace, and I got to give it to Corvo, he's playing much better than I anticipated. I liked JR getting J. Staal and Semin. I hate JR for not getting a real third line center to replace Sutter. That cause Jokinen to play a shutdown center with some scoring role that he doesn't do well. He's a finesse guy, feeds off of puck control and passing. So I'm glad he's in Pittsburgh now. (another horrible trade, Jokinen for nothing plus we eat his salary, woop!)

We have the top line, we have the 2/3rds of our second line (possibly the whole thing) and we have 6/3rds of a fourth line. We have a franchise goalie. We have a young high level prospect in Murphy who will immediately improve our powerplay and two or three young defensemen who impressed in the big leagues (Jordan, Bellemore, Sanguinetti?). What we lack is a top pair of defensemen, goaltending depth, and prospects who pan out.  I think people aren't realizing just how badly we got screwed when Cam Ward was out for the year, then half our blueline, then Faulk,  Semin, Skinner's concussion, etc. This year was a bad year for injuries. What makes it hard to accept is the fact guys like Eric, Tlusty, and Semin for the most part are playing good hockey, putting up points, and staying relatively healthy. Our third line needs an overhaul, our defense needs some real leaders on the blueline, and our goaltending needs to get healthy. Really, last year looking at the team, the problems were much much much worse. We needed a top line winger, a second line center, a new backup goalie, a couple of bruising defensemen, and a new coaching staff. We got the top line winger, the second line center and the backup goalie and coaching staff filled out. Think about the difficulty it is to land a top line winger in this league that doesn't cost you everything and the farm. Same goes for a second line center. Now JR has the challenge of getting a top pairing defenseman and a third line center. And considering how he did last year with a team that held no general interest of the hockey fans that aren't already Caniacs, and got us a ton of coverage and attention. 

I understand JR has made realllllly dumb moves before, but he's also made some realllly nice moves as well. And from his recent moves we really are better off. Take your anger and frustration from this season and swallow it, look forward to next year where Cam Ward won't play only a month of the season, the team has a training camp and pre-season, the schedule isn't nearly as compacted as this one, and we have a full 82 games. Sure, it would've been nice to make it immediately, but it came down to our luck not panning out. It doesn't have anything to do with our skill. We have that, we just got unlucky with injuries and failure to overcome them. I think Muller should show the team tapes of the Senators and drill into their heads that from now on, even with injuries as crucial as the Ward injury or Faulk injury or half the blueline injuries at once, we need to be able to put on a show, compete, and give ourselves a chance to win.

I have to say that I disagree with some of what is expressed here. If some of the recent teams we had were a "joke" and/or a "guaranteed celler dweller", whose fault is that? Our bad season may have led to Maurice's firing, but who brought him in...twice. You said you are surprised that Corvo is playing "much better than you anticipated." I think he has been awful. Of our young defensemen I would say that only one has impressed, Bellemoore. Jordan was ok at best, and Sanguinetti has been far from impressive (in fact I think he has been flat out bad). Remember how bad we were when Jordan, Sanguinetti, and Murphy were all in the lineup. Our defense needs a significant change, and Corvo and Sanguinetti (along with Bergeron) are free agents who need to go/not be brought back. Bringing in Murphy will likely cause/continue our defensive problems. He may be used as a PP specialist, but dressing 7 defensemen consistently is never a good idea IMO. We need to fix our defense, but the money we have tied up in contracts may not allow us to do this.

Yes, some teams have faced adversity and wilted (see NJ), but others have not (see Ottawa). I never like to use injuries as an excuse, it just means your team was built with a lack of proper depth. Nor do I think a lack of training camp is an excuse. Washington faced a similar situation and started slowly (which makes sense), we started strong and faded (which doesn't). As far as us being better off than last year, it certainly didn't work this year, and overall this will play out for the next few years (or 10 in Jordan Staal's case). I'm not willing to "swallow" another poor season, there have been too many already and who is to say we will not face key injuries again next season. Saying we had injuries and bad luck is just an excuse IMO. It wasn't luck, we just played poorly, that is the bottom line. I don't think this team has been constructed properly over the past five or six years, and even before that with out disregard for defense and poor trades. There have been good moves, but the bad and the moves that were never made to address our obvious needs outweigh the good. Nor should you ever get credit for undoing/fixing your mistakes. Overall, I think our evaluation of talent/character has also been poor. We have skill as you said, but I think that is all we have. I think we lack depth, leadership, heart, and physicality. I realize this organization has had to work with limitations, but I still don't think it accounts for all of our problems over the years. 

Finally, this is all of course just my opinion and I could be completely wrong. This is all subjective and I respect everyone's opinion. At least this dismal stretch makes for some interesting discussion, and I hope this post is interpreted that way.  

Edited by Kyrule