The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
RonnieFranchise

Are You Happy With Rutherfords Performance?

Jim Rutherford  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Happy With Rutherfords Performance?

• Yes
    • No

1 playoff season in 7 years. At what point is Rutherford held responsible for the product on the ice? I would fire both of Muller's buddies. Our powerplay and penalty kill were anemic for how many skill guys we have....and you can't blame training camp because it didn't improve over the course of the year to an acceptable level. Honestly, if Laviolette ever gets fired. I hope Muller can pack quick.

Edited by youngfan9886

1 playoff season in 7 years. At what point is Rutherford held responsible for the product on the ice? I would fire both of Muller's buddies. Our powerplay and penalty kill were anemic for how many skill guys we have....and you can't blame training camp because it didn't improve over the course of the year to an acceptable level. Honestly, if Laviolette ever gets fired. I hope Muller can pack quick.

Well, what about Lindy?  Ok, stop laughing...but if the guy can keep the Slugs in playoff contention year after year with a bunch of mid-level talent and a goalie who ISN'T any better than Cam, why not?

I am 99.9999999% certain that Peter Laviolette would not even entertain the idea of coming back to the Canes.

I am 99.9999999% certain that Peter Laviolette would not even entertain the idea of coming back to the Canes.

yep.....I believe he and JR have a mutual dislike of each other

someone has to answer of the following milestones

25th  in NHL

29th in goals against

28th   in GF GA difference

26th on PP

28th on PK

30th on home record

1 playoff season in 7 years. At what point is Rutherford held responsible for the product on the ice? 

BTW, the Dallas Stars fired GM Joe Nieuwendyk today.
Dallas has now missed the playoffs for five consecutive seasons. 

BTW, the Dallas Stars fired GM Joe Nieuwendyk today.
Dallas has now missed the playoffs for five consecutive seasons. 

psst...see my thread ;)

someone has to answer of the following milestones

25th in NHL

29th in goals against

28th in GF GA difference

26th on PP

28th on PK

30th on home record

These stats should be pinned on this board until someone (or several someone's) are held accountable. And by accountable I mean fired. Excuses only go so far, these numbers are atrocious. Seeing them all together really p****s me off.

Edited by Kyrule

A interesting read and opinion on Rutherford by Luke DeCock this morning. I tend to agree with DeCock that JR has earned the right to make his own decision but needs to self evaluate his position. My gut hunch is JR will stay another year. I still hold the view he has earned that right.

Canes GM Rutherford should review own performance

I think someone should research potential GM replacements for this team (but not me, I'm too lazy). Unless we're all assuming Ron Francis gets the GM. 

Paul Maurice, if Francis doesn't want it. 

Not my choice, but I know how this org. works. 

These stats should be pinned on this board until someone (or several someone's) are held accountable. And by accountable I mean fired. Excuses only go so far, these numbers are atrocious. Seeing them all together really p****s me off.

I could not agree more.. Pin these stats along with the last five years of where the net minders finished also.. Then start firing and replacing until the trend is upward..No more lame excuses, " next season will not allow for time to figure it out "

A interesting read and opinion on Rutherford by Luke DeCock this morning. I tend to agree with DeCock that JR has earned the right to make his own decision but needs to self evaluate his position. My gut hunch is JR will stay another year. I still hold the view he has earned that right.

Canes GM Rutherford should review own performance

Great article and really does cover all the issues.  No sugar coating, some big changes need to be made but I would stand by JR making the call right now about his own future.

The lack of developing players in Charlotte is my biggest concern and sending Demoulin to the Pens in the J Staal deal could end up another huge loss for the Canes. Small market lower budget teams need to build from within to have any sustained success.   Big name players won't have Carolina on their preferred trade/sign list.

Finally...someone calling out the folks who need it.  I just want a SOLID top-to-bottom reflection (and appropriate house cleaning where needed) this summer.  I am so sick and tired of having this team give us hope, only to destroy it come March!

my "beef" is the issues that have "dogged" the Canes for several seasons seem to be left unresolved: (poor PP, lousy defense; ..)    The Wings have made the playoffs for the past 22 years in a row.  I do not see the same attitude in the Canes' organization.   The Canes attitude seems to be "we may make the playoffs)" instead of  "we belong in the playoffs".  The Wings' attitude seems to be to reload from within rather than a yearly toss of the dice

I wonder the extent to which JR was really happy with the defense as the year started. 

He made a run at Suter reportedly.

My own thinking was that this was at two part plan after part A had already been done:

Part A: Find a new coach for the future

Part B: J. Staal and Semin. 

Part C: Strengthen the D. 

The hope was that Part A would stop the slide. It did. and Part B would at least get us in the playoffs (obviously didn't), and Part C would then make us a contender: to be determined.

One could argue that part C should have come before part B, but the very unique opportunities that presented were all part B (Semin/J). The opportunities to fix the defense have been slim to none.

Anyway, JR has conceded that we need to address the defense. Sure there are some issues up front and we could use more grit, but really, winning is going to come down to the blueline. 

JR has been challenged to construct a really solid defense over the years, so we shall see. But I am for giving him that chance. 

I still think Muller will be a very good coach. He kept his head through this debacle and the players respect him for it. Next year is a new beginning. 

Fix the D. Jettison the flotsam, add some grit. 

Watch it all come together.

Edited by remkin

I'm kinda leaning towards JR's tenure as GM being over. Only 4 playoff appearances in the 19 years he's served as GM, and a questionable drafting experience (yes, he's gotten players like Staal, Ward, Skinner and Faulk, but he's also drafted Boychuk, Dalpe, and McBain who have all fell way below their projections,) kinda puts into focus just how little success he's had. And looking at our prospect pool is just depressing, either because they aren't likely to make the jump to being a full time NHLer, or they add onto issues this team is trying to rid of (small size, non-physical, etc.) It's also just really sad that he's taken this long to recognize just how horrid the defense is, and because of how poor we've done at drafting d-men we now are put into a position where we're likely going to overpay for the piece or pieces we need on the back end because other teams will know we're desperate alongside our being a small market team.

I would tend to agree JR deserves to leave on his own terms. If things don't turn around next season hopefully he will have groomed someone to take over or they bring in someone else. One way or another I hope hockey is always here. I am very disappointed to have missed the playoffs AGAIN but it could be worse. Look how long it took Toronto to get in again.

I've enjoyed reading all the differing opinions on JR's performance.  Luke nailed it like he often does in his no sugar coating way.  Many of the same thoughts that have been expressed here.

I've been a staunch supporter of JR, but, my patience is being challenged.  How we handle this upcoming season beginning with the draft will likely push me off the fence, one way or another.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I think someone should research potential GM replacements for this team 

hint: if we could only find a team that made the playoffs 22-years in a row... now only if we could find front office folks like that.

Wouldn't it be interesting if JR's plan this off season had a couple of moving parts to it? 

We know he's getting a top 5 pick in the draft that may or may not be ready to step in and play next season but if you look around the league, specifically in our new conference, there are teams who will need to shed salary to be in compliance with the new cap.  What the Canes aren't lacking are 3rd and 4th line role players and a handful of minor league players who need a fresh start somewhere else.

I'd keep an eye on teams with a surplus of defensive talent either at the NHL level or waiting for an opening in their system.

Thoughts on the General Manager:

YEAR                              POINTS          GOALS (FOR - AGAINST)

1997 – 1998                       74                          200 - 219

1998 – 1999                       86                          210 - 202

1999 – 2000                       84                          217 - 216

2000 – 2001                       88                          212 - 225

2001 – 2002                       91                          217 - 217

2002 – 2003                       61                          271 - 240

2003 – 2004                       76                          272 - 209

2004 – 2005*

2005 – 2006                       112                       294 - 260

2006 – 2007                       88                          241 - 253

2007 – 2008                       92                          252 - 249

2008 – 2009                       97                          239 - 226

2009 – 2010                       80                          230 - 256

2010 – 2011                       91                          236 - 239

2011 – 2012                       82                          213 - 243

2012 – 2013**                  72(42)                   219(128) – 273(160)

*Lockout year

**Values adjusted for an 82 game season

For the 15 years listed above, the mean yearly point total ± the standard deviation (SD) is 84.9 ± 11.9. While considerable emphasis is placed on the post-lockout, Stanley Cup season of 2005-2006, the 112 point total gained in that year is 2 SD above the mean and is thus a statistical outlier (an observation that lies outside the overall pattern of a distribution) and as a result should not be considered as representative of the entire record. It is important to note that when the total of 42 points from the past season of 48 games is extended to a full season of 82 games, the resulting 72 points is not an outlier but rather falls within the overall pattern of distribution. In fact, on the basis of the deteriorating record between 2005 and 2012, linear regression analysis predicted that for the 2012 to 2013 season a point total of only 78 points.

Comparing the goals for versus goals against (excluding the outlier year 2005 – 2006) shows 216.4 ± 23.8 goals per year for and 233.4 ± 20.3 goals per year against. This is a statistically significant difference of -17.0 ± 24.0 goals per year (p <0.05 with a paired t-test). Comparing the goals for and goals against for the 7 years prior to and following the 2005 – 2006 season demonstrates a highly significant increase in goals for 199.9 ± 20.2 (1997-2004) versus 232.9 ± 13.4 (2006-2013). However this is matched by a similarly statistically significant increase in goals against (218.3 ± 12.1 versus 248.4 ± 14.7) so that there is little change in the difference between goals for and goals against.

Several statements can be made. Since the Stanley Cup year of 2005-2006, there has been a gradual and progressive decline in the performance of the team. This has occurred despite a number of changes in the composition of the team along with three different coaches and coaching staffs. The only constant has been the General Manager whose overall performance has been poor. His statement at the beginning of the year that the Hurricanes were a Stanley Cup contender was an illusion. His most recent statement that the defense need to be improved is years late. In almost any other organization, such a record would not be tolerated. The General Manager has had more than enough time to place on ice a consistently competitive team. This he has not done and it is likely that without a change in this office, the Hurricanes will continue to be a sub 90 point per year team. With that is mind, the replacement of the General Manager should be the number one priority and should occur prior to this year’s draft and free agency season.

Interesting stats.  Would they suggest that giving up the high picks for the 2006 Cup win are also what cost this team?  Not saying it wasn't worth it and I would surely do it again in a heart beat but the prospect pool has been extremely thin. 

Not taking away anything from your stats and facts, they are pretty glaring,