The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
PenaltyKiller17

The Usual Suspects

I  guess I just fail to see the point of your point.

He throws a kid out there who's been working his butt off to make a niche for himself (Nash) after he sees him working on moves alone in practice.  It was an admittedly gut and snap decision on Muller's part.

But oh, wait for it..............................it worked.

Good for Nash, he has even more confidence going back to the Calder Cup playoffs.

Good for Muller if that small move in any way helps Nash to develop as a young player.

That's about as deep as my thoughts go on that, but I'm just a regular fan.

All good points Coastal. Both yours and mine can both be right here (I think).  So sorry if mine are not that clear.

(Anyway, as one Canes fan to another...  I hope you dont hold it against me that I called you Edenton man that one time.  I like the area and tell people about it... in fact I almost bought some land in Chowan, over by Wayne Huizenga's Sandy Point vision. I just ended up on HI, so naturally I say OBX>IBX, but that's just me. Hope that clears that one up.  Ok, back to the regular stuff).

Or maybe he didn't offer it to Staal at all. Maybe he just released that number to the press in order to get a better return from the Canes.

Like I said before, it is interesting to me that not one detail 'leaked' about Crosby's contract or Malkin's contract or Orpik's contract or Fleury's contract or Craig Adams' contract but Staal's contract information gets distributed to anyone that will listen. If I remember correctly there was a HUGE deal about Fleury's contract negotiation becoming public beforehand. The Pens basically negated all talks with his agent until they found who was leaking. Turns out that MAF's agent or lawyer left a copy in a rental car.

That secret...

So yeah, it's kind of weird that Staal's was made public.

Also interesting that you heard nothing about Malkins and Kunitzs contracts but you hear that Letang turned down a 8 year $56 million dollar deal....

So now, basically, Shero has set Letangs market value at $7 million a year. And he is a steal next year at $3.5..... Great bait for a draft day trade....

Sound familiar???

So how is Jordan looking?

Mostly solid but not putting up points yet.  He just broke the ice last game so hopefully that opens up the flood gates.  In fact, all of our top point getters broke through last game so maybe this is the beginning.  Pretty impressive that the Canes are holding their own even with the lacking of big players scoring right now, don't you think?

I did some quick math in Excel for "fun". Based on the 22 skaters so far this season, and calculating their +/- per minute TOI, the team average +/- is a -2.59 so Jordan is right there at the average. However, considering his line is often matched up against the other team's top line, I'd say that's not a bad number for him and his two regular wingers. Plus/minus always has to be put into context to be at all useful. Gerbs and Patty are also a -3.

That line was put together not because they were going to blow the doors off the goaltender, but because they had such good chemistry. Gerbs has overperformed early with 4G and 3A, and Dwyer has 1A. Jordan and Patty are our best up front PK'ers and they've done a respectable job.

I'm not going to defend his point total. His scoring numbers are identical to Harrison's. He needs to produce more, but his brother, the captain of this team is sitting at a -8 and if it weren't for a Harrison fighting major, Eric would lead the team in PIM by 4 minutes. Semin has been a turnover machine at the offensive blueline, Tlusty got off to a slow start, and Ruutu is ice cold and who knows if he'll ever return to form. These guys have some answering to do as well when it comes to production.

The guy I was most concerned about to start the year, Skinner, has been great. Half the PIM of Eric, 1 more assist, and has a team-leading PLUS 5. And he's done it from the 3rd line and the PP. Oh, and he's injured.

Bottom line we're a .400 team until we get Ward or Dobey back (no offense to Peters). I don't think the team will start putting more goals in the net until they are able to stop worrying about who is in net.

edit: oh, and our 3 goaltenders are a combined 0.891%.

Edited by hctimo787

I did some quick math in Excel for "fun". Based on the 22 skaters so far this season, and calculating their +/- per minute TOI, the team average +/- is a -2.59 so Jordan is right there at the average. However, considering his line is often matched up against the other team's top line, I'd say that's not a bad number for him and his two regular wingers. Plus/minus always has to be put into context to be at all useful. Gerbs and Patty are also a -3.

That line was put together not because they were going to blow the doors off the goaltender, but because they had such good chemistry. Gerbs has overperformed early with 4G and 3A, and Dwyer has 1A. Jordan and Patty are our best up front PK'ers and they've done a respectable job.

I'm not going to defend his point total. His scoring numbers are identical to Harrison's. He needs to produce more, but his brother, the captain of this team is sitting at a -8 and if it weren't for a Harrison fighting major, Eric would lead the team in PIM by 4 minutes. Semin has been a turnover machine at the offensive blueline, Tlusty got off to a slow start, and Ruutu is ice cold and who knows if he'll ever return to form. These guys have some answering to do as well when it comes to production.

The guy I was most concerned about to start the year, Skinner, has been great. Half the PIM of Eric, 1 more assist, and has a team-leading PLUS 5. And he's done it from the 3rd line and the PP. Oh, and he's injured.

Bottom line we're a .400 team until we get Ward or Dobey back (no offense to Peters). I don't think the team will start putting more goals in the net until they are able to stop worrying about who is in net.

edit: oh, and our 3 goaltenders are a combined 0.891%.

I'd say this is the most reasonable and honest post I've read.

So we're calling our 3rd line the 2nd line so Jordan can be the "2nd line" center.

Maybe when we can deal with that identity crisis we can move forward with the team.

So we're calling our 3rd line the 2nd line so Jordan can be the "2nd line" center.

Maybe when we can deal with that identity crisis we can move forward with the team.

I think getting a healthy NHL goaltender back will be a better first step forward.

Hey, if you are cool paying $6 million a year for 10 years for a third line center that happens to be related to someone else on the team then that's cool. To me it just looks like you are getting the same deal that the Pens got out of the guy but for an astronomical pricetage. There are far more players out there that do much better of a job at his position than him and at a whole lot less than $6 million a year.

So, what are the thoughts on Jordan now?

I don't know because there are so many problems with this team it's hard to say exactly where to begin.

I can share my thoughts about you coming here (trolling), and kicking us when we are down after a disappointing season. I can tell you exactly how I feel about that.

Who cares about the troll... I just re-read this thread and my comment from a year ago still applies.  I'm pretty good.

I don't know because there are so many problems with this team it's hard to say exactly where to begin.

I can share my thoughts about you coming here (trolling), and kicking us when we are down after a disappointing season. I can tell you exactly how I feel about that.

How am I kicking you when you are down? I just wanted to know if he looked any better this year.

Jordan, I honestly believe, has been our most consistent forward all season.  He's still not been given a second line.  I think with the exception of Manny, he's literally played on a line with everyone on the team.  He's played every game.  He plays physical and works hard defensively.  He's a + on a - team.  I think he's earned his A on his sweater this year.