The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

We're already stocked with centers though. We need big physical wingers.

Agreed.  But......we are not stocked with prospects at center of the caliber of Monahan. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

If Barkov drops out of the top 4, that's your pick right there. Done. 

Otherwise, I think it's a crapshoot, and I wouldn't take any of those d-men at #5. If I wanted a d-man, I'd consider trading down a few spots. The big Russian is the most tempting to me. I'll pass on Nurse...and I think the Canes will too. 

If we grab a defender, I agree, I like Ristolainen better than Nurse, and actually, I like his "style" of game better than that of Seth Jones, at least for what this team needs from a defender.

I certainly don't agree Monahan is a step down from Nichuskin.  It's a bad comparison anyway.  Nichuskin is a left wing power forward, Monahan is a center, and plays more of a two-way skill game. 

Monahan is a safe pick, is NHL ready, and is a NA, and fills a need - JR's style all the way

Did you vote?

It does seem pretty likely that Nichushkin will be on the board at #5.  All 3 NHL.com mock drafters have Barkov gone by #4, leaving Nichushkin there.

I know JR has had his fingers burned w/ some Russians *cough* Babchuck *cough*. 

But JR also likes to take guys that have slid down and are a "value". Nichushkin sans the Russian factor is put right there with MacKinnon and Drouin by some. 

If we take a pure center, we will be creating the same situation that Pittsburgh did. We will be unbelievable for a few years, but something will have to give, especially since Skinner also likes playing center. Nich is a pure winger. 

Nich is going to be hard to pass on. He is the consensus best player left. All the other options are ranked all over the place. Monahan for instance is ranked 6,8,9. Lidholm 5,9,9. 

Does make one wonder about a trade down. Nurse is put anywhere from 6-11. Ristoleinen 7, 11, and below 15.  

What if say Buffalo had a major love of Nich? What might they give up to move up 3 spots? One of our Dmen will probably still be there. If not, Monahan might be.  

At the end of the day Nich is the elite guy. We have Semin now. I just take him. 

I have read Tampa needs defense and may look to trade down some. Do we have enough to trade with them for a druoin or McKinnon? Calgary has 3 first rounders and may be the perfect trade partner for them. Thoughts can we get into the top 3?

I suspect Ristolainen is the best situational option, even if a trade down with a team looking to snare Nichuskin at 5.

Next season would look like:

Faulk/Gleason 25 min per

Joni/Ristolainen 20 min per

Harrison/Murphy 15 min per

Bellemore

Move McBain, Sanguinetti and pass on Bergeron.  Given the above, look to deal/sign to improve on that scenario, including a replacement for Joni.  If not attainable, he's in the 2nd pairing.

Sounds like Lindholm, Barkov, and Nichuskin http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings Each has a pro and a con. Should be interesting

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Valeri-Nichushkin

On Nichushkin:

"An NHL comparison that best suits him would be Jordan Staal of the Carolina Hurricanes who uses his big body to make plays but also incorporates his stickhandling ability into the mix which allows him to score goals."

Interesting.

Serious question: have all you guys had good looks at these draft prospects?  It sounds like you have seen a lot of film or games.

Or are you basing this in scouting reports?

I'm not being critical or a wise guy, just wondering.  I have zero time or interest in looking at prospects, so it is foreign to me.

I seen several of the Canadian players in person.  Only watched film of the European's on television.  I spend a lot of time traveling for work and I watch a lot of hockey. 

Nice.  Thanks guys.  We got some good fans here.  I'll leave the prospect monitoring to you guys.  I seem to have a full enough brain keeping track of NHLers.

I don't know how JR manipulates the draft, but I just think this team is in more need of a high end young defenseman than another high end young forward.  The Canes have a lot of youth up front and I think suffer from more of a veteran presence.  On the back end, it's Faulk and a bunch of guys named Mo.  Up until he took Murphy last year, JR has avoided using a 1st rounder for defense, and he is paying the price for that now. 

Depending on how it shakes down, is somebody just dying to move up to 5th and JR can bump down a couple of slots and still get his man?  That's risky and the only way I see him trying it is if he can get an extra 2nd rounder by doing it.  Teams do crazy things to move up.  The Canes need to restock the pipeline.  The cupboard is pretty bare.  Murphy is pretty much the only high end prospect in the system (maybe Rask).

Well the canes will have a few options to try at least, I am not sure the 5th spot will be NHL ready or not, but the consensus 5th spot will be in the KHL for at least the following season due to his contract and may never play in the NHL if the KHL keeps loading him up with tax-free money and no rookie contracts. I don't think that is something the canes are interested in.

They could trade up to get NHL ready player in the 2-4 spot (I don't see Avs not selecting Seth Jones), but what cost would that be? We could shed some salary by moving a few players that might not be in our future anyways. Or we could move down and gain some of the types of players we are looking for. Well, at any rate I am glad I don't have to make that decision.

Edited by Ichigo

Moves up and down seem pretty uncommon.

What do teams typically give up to move up say 3 spots?

If the Canes scouts say, "look, Ristolainen, Nurse and Pulock are all going to be stud top pair dmen." Then there is a huge chance that one of them will be available down at  9 or 10 even. So what could we get?

Normally I would not do it for an extra second rounder, but in this draft, near the top of the second round, maybe...

It sure looks like if Nichushkin says he want to be in the NHL he is the consensus choice at #5.

If our scouts have a strong rating on Nurse, but not so much on the others, then trading down would be risky.

The Russian factor certainly compicates things.

Edited by remkin

I think there is little chance we give up this draft position to go D, with either of Nich, Barkov, Lindholm, or Monahan on the board.

We are picking 5th in the second.

Edited by coastal_caniac

The more I think about, the more I would like to change my vote to Barkov (from Nuchushkin). With this organizations luck as of late, I think I would avoid the questions surrounding Nichushkin. Go figure, we pick #5 and the player with the most risk is the fifth ranked player. Really annoying. I like Barkov but I think he will be gone at #5. I'm becoming more open to a guy like Monahan who was voted the smartest hockey player in his league. It would suck to have Nichushkin become a dominant player in a few years, but at this point I think we should play it safe unless something dramatic happens and Nichushkin makes his desire to play in the NHL well known. Even then I'm not sure...

Then again, it is a good point that we don't want to end up with three great centers in a few years and be forced to move someone. Lots of unknowns/considerations surrounding our pick, which sucks..

Edited by Kyrule

I am pretty sure that most of you would love to have the first overall pick to select Jones.  He is a defenseman and that is our biggest need.  Jones is going to be gone when we pick; however, I believe that Ristolainen is the better defenseman for the Canes anyway.  Watch the world juniors and tell me what Jones has over Ristolainen?  Ristolainen might be available at #5.  If he is, we should take him.  I want to hear from anyone that has watched them play.  What does Jones have over Ristolainen?  Then consider that Ristolainen is already playing against men.  How big are the opponents that Ristolainen is playing "nasty" against?  How big are Jones opponents? Ristolainen is already considered tough to play against,

Nich hands down. We need to get bigger here people. This guy is a 6.4 205 pound guy. He will only get bulkier. If we are going to compete we have to get big and physical.

I am obviously high on Ristolainen, but I am even higher on Nichuskin IF, IF, IF, IF, did I mention IF, he is willing to come this summer.  Does anybody know how much it will cost him to buy out his contract?

We could use a power forward and a physical defenseman from this draft. JR can probably get an elite forward with our 5th pick. Then trade our 2nd round pick and 1 or 2 of our defensemen for a physical d-man, like Ristolainen...either a pre-arranged draft & trade or for a top 12 draft pick.

Alternately, use #5 for that power forward and trade for a couple of veteran physical stay-at-home or 2-way d-men. Perhaps if Colorado takes Jones, they will trade one of their big d-men, like O'Brien.

I dont know about you guys but im sick and tired of this  whole  " we need a puck moving defense man "  mentality   that seems to plague the canes every year .  all this does is put more burden on and  for the guys we already have and does  not address the real issues that continue to hurt the canes year after year  ,  if we need defense then we should go for a vet defense man in free agency , other than that we should not even think about wasting our pick on some rookie defense man who would more than likely not be ready  this given year , look at ryan murphy , he is wasting away with the checkers and there are tons of other guys that will be up for grabs come free agency  , but getting someone like Valeri Nichushkin would help this team ten fold  who could move the puck up from a forward position  instead of the defensive position  .  when i see a kid as young as Valeri Nichushkin playing along side the likes of guys from the khl and doing what he is doing at that young age , you would have to be really really blind  not to see that he is  playing with guys who could play in the nhl as i speak and with him the potential is far to great to dismiss or ignore or debate into semantics  that he is a russian  or something because those are not and will repeat NOT VALID REASONS AT ALL   !!!

giving a kid like Valeri Nichushkin a shot at playing with the canes would help so much it's not even funny . he would play on the 2nd line with jordan staal , get taken under wing by semin , helped out on his shot by skinner ,  and then the canes would have that top 6 offensive line we have been looking for since 2006 .  

But im pretty sure everyone is going to disagree with me and look past my post as always when it comes to matters like this that are important to the future of the canes and get buried under other post that do get attention and respected with agreement that says other wise . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

I dont know about you guys but im sick and tired of this  whole  " we need a puck moving defense man "  mentality   that seems to plague the canes every year .  all this does is put more burden on and  for the guys we already have and does  not address the real issues that continue to hurt the canes year after year  ,  if we need defense then we should go for a vet defense man in free agency , other than that we should not even think about wasting our pick on some rookie defense man who would more than likely not be ready  this given year , look at ryan murphy , he is wasting away with the checkers and there are tons of other guys that will be up for grabs come free agency  , but getting someone like Valeri Nichushkin would help this team ten fold  who could move the puck up from a forward position  instead of the defensive position  .  when i see a kid as young as Valeri Nichushkin playing along side the likes of guys from the khl and doing what he is doing at that young age , you would have to be really really blind  not to see that he is  playing with guys who could play in the nhl as i speak and with him the potential is far to great to dismiss or ignore or debate into semantics  that he is a russian  or something because those are not and will repeat NOT VALID REASONS AT ALL   !!!

giving a kid like Valeri Nichushkin a shot at playing with the canes would help so much it's not even funny . he would play on the 2nd line with jordan staal , get taken under wing by semin , helped out on his shot by skinner ,  and then the canes would have that top 6 offensive line we have been looking for since 2006 .  

But im pretty sure everyone is going to disagree with me and look past my post as always when it comes to matters like this that are important to the future of the canes and get buried under other post that do get attention and respected with agreement that says other wise . 

My concerns about Nichushkin isn't that he is Russian its that he is currently under contract in the KHL for the next two years. I don't know what his motives are in terms of playing in the NHL but he stands to make substantially more in the KHL under his current contract due to how the KHL pays and operates. That isn't to say he won't come here, or that he doesn't want to, but if we are looking for something to help us in the next two years I think we may need to look elsewhere. 

My concerns about Nichushkin isn't that he is Russian its that he is currently under contract in the KHL for the next two years. I don't know what his motives are in terms of playing in the NHL but he stands to make substantially more in the KHL under his current contract due to how the KHL pays and operates. That isn't to say he won't come here, or that he doesn't want to, but if we are looking for something to help us in the next two years I think we may need to look elsewhere. 

i understand that and the value of him is so great to look else where . im telling you  man,  i have seen  a lot of video on a lot of these guys  and thinking about  bringing  in someone other than Valeri Nichushkin with  his ability is just crazy to think about  , why would we or should we be going after someone else ?  , if we were in tampas place then this would be more of a debate based around players who could play with us this year as a posed to someone who is  already under contract for the next two years , but since we are not in tampas position to select 3rd over all  there really is no one better in my opinion for where the canes are placed to select which is 5th

.  lots of people are bring up the fact that he is russian , and i know far to well how russians in the past have burnt down the bridges for their mark in the nhl .  but  Valeri Nichushkin is not like that by any means .  he is a guy who wants to play with the best of the best . his concerns are not so much the money than it is playing with the best people around him and strengthen  his areas in hockey to become a better player .   thats what drives him,  that will he plays at are beyond that of any player i have seen in years . sure his puck handling is  not as great  as drouins or mackinnons but that does not matter he can improve on that,  , if he was born a canadien  he would of been considered above that of mackinnon  or drouin , but since he is russian , people all of a sudden think Nope can't trust him  .  and i know you said it wasnt based on him being russian but a lot of people do think that way so it becomes the norm .,   all im saying is if we do draft him , he will come over , he will sign with the canes , but he would expect to play with the canes also ,  a malkin like talent  on the canes  is just too good to pass up at where we are placed in seed to select .  why wont nashville draft him ? they just might , but if they dont draft him , we can't ignore that fact gold just landed at our table to help get the canes moving in the Right direction for once . 

i understand that and the value of him is so great to look else where . im telling you man, i have seen a lot of video on a lot of these guys and thinking about bringing in someone other than Valeri Nichushkin with his ability is just crazy to think about , why would we or should we be going after someone else ? , if we were in tampas place then this would be more of a debate based around players who could play with us this year as a posed to someone who is already under contract for the next two years , but since we are not in tampas position to select 3rd over all there really is no one better in my opinion for where the canes are placed to select which is 5th

. lots of people are bring up the fact that he is russian , and i know far to well how russians in the past have burnt down the bridges for their mark in the nhl . but Valeri Nichushkin is not like that by any means . he is a guy who wants to play with the best of the best . his concerns are not so much the money than it is playing with the best people around him and strengthen his areas in hockey to become a better player . thats what drives him, that will he plays at are beyond that of any player i have seen in years . sure his puck handling is not as great as drouins or mackinnons but that does not matter he can improve on that, , if he was born a canadien he would of been considered above that of mackinnon or drouin , but since he is russian , people all of a sudden think Nope can't trust him . and i know you said it wasnt based on him being russian but a lot of people do think that way so it becomes the norm ., all im saying is if we do draft him , he will come over , he will sign with the canes , but he would expect to play with the canes also , a malkin like talent on the canes is just too good to pass up at where we are placed in seed to select . why wont nashville draft him ? they just might , but if they dont draft him , we can't ignore that fact gold just landed at our table to help get the canes moving in the Right direction for once .

You sound a bit angry/frustrated Canesfanforever (maybe I am wrong), but I'm not sure why. Look at the voting, Nichushkin is winning easily, only one other player is even close. This isn't some Russian bashing forum, look at the support/love Semin gets around here. When people say they are concerned (myself included even though I voted for Nichushkin), it is strictly about his contract in the KHL, and the possible significant attempts by the KHL to keep him there. If he stays, our pick would essentially be wasted. Nobody knows except Nichushkin himself what his plans are, and plans change (especially when money is involved, and this includes everyone not just "Russians"). It is nothing against him personally, his talent is obvious and I would love to have him here, as would many. If there is a post questioning his ability, and more importantly, his character because he is "Russian" I would understand your frustration and I apologize, but I don't see it. Still, there is risk involved due to his situation, that cannot be denied at this point. Hopefully this situation becomes clearer sooner rather than later, but for now it is what it is.

As for this organization's love of smallish/offensive defensemen, I think if you look around here, you'll see we are all pretty much sick of that.

Edited by Kyrule