The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

We have some pieces with some trade value that we could fix the Defense with.  I say draft Valeri, and fix the defense with trades.  The defense isn't unfixable.  I think we really need 2-3 more guys, and ditch a few.

I like Pitkanen, but his injuries are killing us.  When he came back this year, he had no chemistry with the players, and his childhood buddy Jussi got traded away. That will adversely affect his morale, so trade him.  Trade McBain.  Trade Sanguenetti.  See if anyone will bite on Corvo (I thought for the most part that Corvo played ok this year, but when he does make a mistake, it costs us dearly).  I'd keep Gleason, Faulk, and probably Harrison for the 3rd pairing.  Even though Harrison seemed to have an off year.  We need 3 Defensemen, 2 top caliber, and one third pairing.  Mcbain hasn't produced, and I don't care about his +/-.  We also have some forward prospects we can trade out.  I am no GM, but that is how I see it.  I wouldn't trade away the whole team.  You keep E Staal, J Staal, Semin, Ruutu, Skinner, Tlusty up front.  You keep Gleason, Faulk, Harrison, and maybe Corvo on D.  I'd rather try and trade Corvo away.  He can move the puck and skate, so he does have some value if a team has a solid stay at home to clean up Corvos mistakes.

Some people on other forums have posted the trade was was announced yesterday for nichuskin from Traktor to Dynamo in the khl. Now from what I have read he has to either accept or leave and come here. This is going to be interesting to say the least. Also if he says he is coming some are saying Tampa picks him up leaving druoin and barkov for Nashville. I can't believe I am saying this but I can see a scenario playing out where drouin slips to 5 because of his size. That would be amazing. Remkin am I crazy?

Some people on other forums have posted the trade was was announced yesterday for nichuskin from Traktor to Dynamo in the khl. Now from what I have read he has to either accept or leave and come here. This is going to be interesting to say the least. Also if he says he is coming some are saying Tampa picks him up leaving druoin and barkov for Nashville. I can't believe I am saying this but I can see a scenario playing out where drouin slips to 5 because of his size. That would be amazing. Remkin am I crazy?

what, me? 

RyanHare, I don't know if you are crazy, but one thing I know is that all the mock drafts I've looked at in past years have been at best a vague shadow of how guys actually get picked. So in that sense, anything is possible. The top 5 players are at least ranked and discussed as a particular unit. Nearly 100% of scouts and mock drafters have Jones #1. The vast majority have MacKinnon at number 2. A very solid majority have Drouin at #3, but I've seen him at #2 and #4. Almost no one has Drouin dropping to #5. 

But there is a wide consensus that Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, and Nich will be the top 5 unless the KHL thing gets ugly.

But GMs do the drafting, not journalists or even scouts outside of one pick. No mock draft saw us even close to picking Skinner, and that same year Cam Fowler fell from the #3 slot all the way to #12. 

It is widely reported that Nichushkin is top 3 talent-wise. IF he is the next Malkin, then basically he is the next Ovechkin, Crosby, etc. By that logic one could argue he could go #1.  He will be better than the best player we currently have. It's a big if, but you raise the point, what if the KHL issue is gone? Then yes, someone could take him in the top 3. Of course he could go #4 then also. 

But would Nashville take Barkov over Drouin? 

Things would have to fall just right for us to get the human highlight reel. Who BTW will get pushed around the way Martin "point per game" St. Louis gets pushed around. 

I will say this. In a way if the KHL fears lift on Nichushkin, we will still end up in a good place. 

How can we not be thrilled with Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov or Nich with no KHL factor? 

True,  we might not get Nich if the KHL thing lifts, but I'd rather have one of other 4 than Nich plus KHL issue at full blast.

Edited by remkin

I have a feeling by the end of this Month everything is gonna turn upside down. We get to see what Rask looks like in the AHL playoffs. He's flying in today! I have also heard Nashville is high on sweedish players so maybe Linholm rises. Its gonna get interesting I truly believe. I will be following this everyday!

Isn't he only 5.11? That's just what we need! More small forwards to be pushed around.

He is THE BEST PLAYER in the draft!  Just search him on YouTube and drool!  He's not that tall, but also not slight.  He is magical with the puck!  He would be my choice if we were picking #1 and he would definitely be my choice if he falls to #5.

How big is Crosby...Stamkos?

We have some pieces with some trade value that we could fix the Defense with.  I say draft Valeri, and fix the defense with trades.  The defense isn't unfixable.  I think we really need 2-3 more guys, and ditch a few.

I like Pitkanen, but his injuries are killing us.  When he came back this year, he had no chemistry with the players, and his childhood buddy Jussi got traded away. That will adversely affect his morale, so trade him.  Trade McBain.  Trade Sanguenetti.  See if anyone will bite on Corvo (I thought for the most part that Corvo played ok this year, but when he does make a mistake, it costs us dearly).  I'd keep Gleason, Faulk, and probably Harrison for the 3rd pairing.  Even though Harrison seemed to have an off year.  We need 3 Defensemen, 2 top caliber, and one third pairing.  Mcbain hasn't produced, and I don't care about his +/-.  We also have some forward prospects we can trade out.  I am no GM, but that is how I see it.  I wouldn't trade away the whole team.  You keep E Staal, J Staal, Semin, Ruutu, Skinner, Tlusty up front.  You keep Gleason, Faulk, Harrison, and maybe Corvo on D.  I'd rather try and trade Corvo away.  He can move the puck and skate, so he does have some value if a team has a solid stay at home to clean up Corvos mistakes.

Corvo and Sanguenetti are free agents so we can just walk away from them, no need to look for a trade.

He is THE BEST PLAYER in the draft!  Just search him on YouTube and drool!  He's not that tall, but also not slight.  He is magical with the puck!  He would be my choice if we were picking #1 and he would definitely be my choice if he falls to #5.

How big is Crosby...Stamkos?

They have such great balance, they seem to play much bigger....which when combined with their skills, makes them soooo special. Not like Skinner who seems to easily get knocked off balance, so he plays much smaller.

Edited by Bill_B

Been watching some news and it's been said that Valeri Nichushkin had signed 2-year contract with Dynamo Moscow. He will be a Dynamo's player up to the end of April 2015. Can anyone explain to me how he can be drafted then?

I don't know Ryazan, but I would like to know how that works as well. I guess as soon as any international player reaches a certain age he becomes draft eligible, and a team can draft him if they think that they will sign a contract? I am a bit lost on it myself.

Been watching some news and it's been said that Valeri Nichushkin had signed 2-year contract with Dynamo Moscow. He will be a Dynamo's player up to the end of April 2015. Can anyone explain to me how he can be drafted then?

Thought I read somewhere that these KHL contracts have a buy-out option if moving to North America (NHL).

Just for the sake of argument, if Nich is at serious risk of being tied up for 2 years or more, I would expect him to drop down the board out of our sights. Likely Jones, Drouin, MacKinnon, and Barkov go 1-4. 

If Nich is out of contention then it gets interesting. 

Overall, JR likes forwards. But our biggest need is big strong defenseman. There are two pretty darned good ones:

Nurse and Ristolainen. 

But there are still pretty high end forwards left also: Shinkaruk, Monahan, and Lidholm.

Seems like some concerns here about Nurse. Not sure why, the guy is 6'4" athletic, likes to hit, defensively sound, "hard-nosed" and has developed offense also. Compared with Pronger.  I've seen him as high as 5 on a few mock drafts. Ristoleinen may be more "ready" though he is ranked a touch lower, would still be an awsome addition. 

Shinkaruk is a smaller skilled guy that seems to rank a bit low to be a #5 pick. Lidholm and Monahan are both centers. Would be great choices, but would eventually have a glut of centers unless someone moves to wing.

I hope that Nichushkin's KHL thing is seen as no big deal, because even if we don't get him, we'll get Barkov or him.

But if Nich's KHL factor stands out, then I'd be really tempted to go Nurse, or even trade down if we could get Risoleinen plus.

Edited by remkin

I havent seen where he has accepted. I just have seen where he was traded. SO this is all way way up in the air. Lindholm is good, but I have read he is going to go back to the sweedish leauge for another year. Monohan.. I dunno his stock is rising, but I just dont like him at 5. I really dont. I have seen shinkaruk go back as far as 8 to Buffalo. I have been wanting Druoin for a month or so. No one else like him. Yes he is small, but put him with stalal and ruutu, and he will be fine. Unlike skinner he has been playing hockey along time. He looks up not down. I for one would trade skinner to get him. I think I am the only one on this board who is crazy enough to say that, but I just did.

Drouin isn't in the poll to like. :Oops:

What makes this whole draft interesting to me are the numerous comments JR has made public recently about drafting a player that will make an impact next season.

Is he expecting that at #5?  If so, that narrows the field.

Jones

Mackinnon

Drouin

Barkov

Nichuskin?

Monahan

Lindholm

Nurse

Ristolainen

Shinkaruk

Edited by coastal_caniac

Drouin isn't in the poll to like. :Oops:

What makes this whole draft interesting to me are the numerous comments JR has made public recently about drafting a player that will make an impact next season.

Is he expecting that at #5?  If so, that narrows the field.

Jones

Mackinnon

Drouin

Barkov

Nichuskin?

Monahan

Lindholm

Nurse

Ristolainen

Shinkaruk

Why are Ristolainen and Barkov crossed out?  They are probably the most NHL ready of the list (along with Nichuskin).  Do they have contract issues?

Edited by cclifford10

I'm assuming from all reports I've read that yes, a player is either not NHL ready or has contractual obligations they tend to honor.  I put a ? beside Nichuskin because I'm not exactly sure of his contract status.  I believe the latest is he is now an equivalent of an RFA and has to sign with the team that bought out his contract or he's free to come to NA.

Okay, I removed the strike-through of Barkov.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I'm assuming from all reports I've read that yes, a player is either not NHL ready or has contractual obligations they tend to honor.  I put a ? beside Nichuskin because I'm not exactly sure of his contract status.  I believe the latest is he is now an equivalent of an RFA and has to sign with the team that bought out his contract or he's free to come to NA.

Okay, I removed the strike-through of Barkov.

Ristolainen is the most NHL ready defensemen.  If he doesn't have contract issues, he should be in a lineup on opening day!

Since I posted the poll, but the topic was merged into the draft topic, the post explaining the logic of the choices got buried. It is post #167, which oddly is 100 posts ago.

Anyway, for those late arriving that might not have read post #167, Jones, Drouin and MacKinnon are assumed to be long gone by #5. It would be confusing to include them, and they would draw votes away from our actual likely options. 

I am wondering if Barkov is getting so little love because people assume he'll be gone. He probably will be, but if someone ahead of us reaches for Nich he might not be, so I included him. 

If Drouin is somehow still there at #5 we won't need a poll. We'll take him.

Looks like it's coming down to people wanting Nich or one of the dmen. Nurse is making a little run recently but still trails Ristoleinen. Not much love for the others.

Edited by remkin

Ristolainen is the most NHL ready defensemen.  If he doesn't have contract issues, he should be in a lineup on opening day!

Not sure JR can pull that off, particularly with Murphy potentially coming up, so he stays crossed out.  Put that in not NHL ready if you like.  Sad, because he's my guy for a defensive draft pick, just not at #5.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Since I posted the poll, but the topic was merged into the draft topic, the post explaining the logic of the choices got buried. It is post #167, which oddly is 100 posts ago.

Anyway, for those late arriving that might not have read post #167, Jones, Drouin and MacKinnon are assumed to be long gone by #5. It would be confusing to include them, and they would draw votes away from our actual likely options. 

I am wondering if Barkov is getting so little love because people assume he'll be gone. He probably will be, but if someone ahead of us reaches for Nich he might not be, so I included him. 

Looks like it's coming down to people wanting Nich or one of the dmen. Nurse is making a little run recently but still trails Ristoleinen. Not much love for the others.

See, that's the thing.  Is this a "who will the Canes draft" or "who do you want the Canes to draft" thread.?

Seems like this has evolved into a thread about the latter.

That's fine, but it takes more of the thought out of it, but whatever.

Edited by coastal_caniac

You are still missing the point, IMO, of including them.  It's your assumption that 1-2-3 is long gone, but not everyone's.  In fact, as you travel around these sites, there's even more uncertainty that would support including at least Drouin.

You don't think if Drouin were in there 90% would just vote for him?

Also, this site:  http://dcprosportsreport.com/NHLMocks.htm  compiles 31 mock drafts including every major publication for the top 5 picks projected.

The number of mock drafts of 31 that have Drouin available at #5: zero.

It's not just me assuming it.

Further, if he somehow miraculously made it to #5 is there any chance we wouldn't take him? So it would be a poll of one.

What is interesting though is that the 31 mocks have us taking everyone on my list except Ristoleinen, Pulock and Shinkaruk.    Nich, Barkov, Nurse, Lindholm, and Monahan. 

That said the ones written after 4/13 all have us taking Nich, Barokv, or Nurse.

And pre April MacKinnon was thought to go first, and Nurse was not in the top 5 by anyone.

And since mid March, Lidholm has dropped out of the top 5.

Edited by remkin

Also, this site:  http://dcprosportsreport.com/NHLMocks.htm  compiles 31 mock drafts including every major publication for the top 5 picks projected.

The number of mock drafts of 31 that have Drouin available at #5: zero.

It's not just me assuming it.

Further, if he somehow miraculously made it to #5 is there any chance we wouldn't take him? So it would be a poll of one.

What is interesting though is that the 31 mocks have us taking everyone on my list except Ristoleinen, Pulock and Shinkaruk.    Nich, Barkov, Nurse, Lindholm, and Monahan. 

That said the ones written after 4/13 all have us taking Nich, Barokv, or Nurse.

And pre April MacKinnon was thought to go first, and Nurse was not in the top 5 by anyone.

And since mid March, Lidholm has dropped out of the top 5.

So, you are going all in, betting your life savings, that it's not possible that Tampa wouldn't draft somebody besides Drouin at #3 based on 31 mock drafts?  In May?  Prior to the combine and interviews?

Don't they have a lot of high-end smaller prospects.  Heck, they traded Conacher, right?  And just last year Yzerman went off the board and drafted Koekoek.

That, and as Nichuskin's contract status becomes more clear, it just speaks of a "possible" different conversation.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I really don't like the idea of JR narrowing it down to a player that will make an impact next year. It needs a longer term viewpoint. It would be nice if the player could instantly contribute, but how many are ready to go from Juniors to the NHL?