The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

And I'm really glad you asked.

Depends:

Is the poll who "do you think the Canes will draft" or "who do you want the Canes to draft"?

The former has mitigation, in other words, including Drouin is no big deal.  :)  If you don't think he will be there, just don't vote for him.

The idea was this. Once it was clear we'd be picking 5th, of the likely players to be available, who would you pick?

My own interest was what people thought of the guys we were likely to be picking from. 

If Drouin is somehow there at 5, I suspect a huge majority would favor picking him, which isn't very interesting really. 

I did find a quote from Bleacher Report, who like very many have us going Nichushkin, interesting. They claim Nichushkin will end up being the best player in this draft. 

All I'm saying Rem is if you asked the question: "Who Do You Think The Canes Will Pick" and included everyone that you will likely get a different result. 

I'm not trying to suggest your poll isn't a good one, but it's not the same question.

Interstingly, I saw a poll this morning that asked the question I posed above and only 1 person actually chose Jones, MacKinnon, or Drouin, so in that poll it was a given that most fans didn't think they would fall that far.  But they were included.  The results of that poll are a bit different than the one here.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Nichushkin is a gamble. He won't be able to contribute next season...the KHL contract will cause issues. But the general consensus is that he is easily a top 3 pick without the "Russian Factor". I'd take the gamble. Especially if the top 4 goes as predicted....Jones, McKinnon, Druin, Barkov. If any of those guys slip to 5, you take them. 

Interstingly, I saw a poll this morning that asked the question I posed above and only 1 person actually chose Jones, MacKinnon, or Drouin, so in that poll it was a given that most fans didn't think they would fall that far.  But they were included.  The results of that poll are a bit different than the one here.

I think we see that effect in this poll. Barkov is the consensus #4 pick of most recent mock drafts I've seen, yet he gets only two votes here, and he has a far better chance of being there at #5 than the top 3. I'm thinking people are not voting for him assuming he won't be there.

But there is time to offer a different question. I'd like to let this one run a bit more, but then we could do a new one including everyone. Or ask directly, if we were picking first and could take any player, who would you take?

To be honest since they merged this, I don't think I have editing control of it anymore anyway. 

Edited by remkin

No, I don't think there's much you can do now unless another thread is started.

I would start the poll I'm speaking of in a separate thread but it would likely just confuse people.

Would be neat to see the difference though.

Edited by coastal_caniac

No, I don't think there's much you can do now unless another thread is started.

I would start the poll I'm speaking of in a separate thread but it would likely just confuse people.

Would be neat to see the difference though.

Well the draft is a ways off. Maybe let this one run a little more, then replace my poll with a new one. There are a few ways to phrase it and get at different things. My curiosity was about the way it is phrased, but it would be interesting to see other questions.

Another way to do it would be Nich is not available for 2 years.... or Nich is available next week. 

Trade up or down could be on there also.

So many ways....

I realize that I do not have the hockey background that several of  you on these sites do, but i really am having a problem seeing how  Drouin could be a viable choice, given that we have ranted frequently thru several years about wanting size and grit. At 5 11 and 185 lbs, does this really fit the mode we as a group seem to be screaming for? I, for one have grown weary watching our guys get pushed all over the ice by the likes of Boston, Phil., and many teams of their ilk. While I realize that the bottom 6 is where we desperately need to add size, still shouldn't we hope for a Nish, Barkov or possibly another D not named Jones? Seems even more problematic in the new division into which we"ll find ourselves next year.

I realize that I do not have the hockey background that several of  you on these sites do, but i really am having a problem seeing how  Drouin could be a viable choice, given that we have ranted frequently thru several years about wanting size and grit. At 5 11 and 185 lbs, does this really fit the mode we as a group seem to be screaming for? I, for one have grown weary watching our guys get pushed all over the ice by the likes of Boston, Phil., and many teams of their ilk. While I realize that the bottom 6 is where we desperately need to add size, still shouldn't we hope for a Nish, Barkov or possibly another D not named Jones? Seems even more problematic in the new division into which we"ll find ourselves next year.

Kjunkane,

I think that is a great question. That idea is also being discussed on the JR thread.

Just about everyone including JR wants us bigger, more physical, and harder to play against. 

But what if you have a chance to get a staggering talent increasingly known as the "human highlight reel"? Seriously, if you haven't done it, go to You Tube and watch some highlights. Magician is another oft used word. 

I think that was why we picked Skinner and Murphy. Pure skill. 

In general I would prefer a slight drop off in magic skills for a still highly skilled guy like Nichuskin, but then the Russian factor kicks in. 

To me if the human highlight reel is there I'd take him in a heartbeat. But we might have to make some moves to get bigger everywhere  else on the ice. 

That's what makes it interesting: competing needs:

Big vs. Skill

Offense vs. Defense

Pure winger vs. best available forward

Need vs. Best available

Best but wait 2 years for Russian to be available vs. next best

Puck on a string and breaks defensman's ankles comes to mind. 

Just imagine Skinner, Semin, and Drouin all on the same team. 

Season tickets anyone?

Craig Button's Top-14 mock draft.  Just a note, Button generally loves his defenseman in these mocks.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=93427

On Nurse, here's one media outlet's interpretation:

"As for Nurse, he has improved but I still have not spoken to a scout who sees him as a top 10. He is not a top 10 for me. I know a few guys are not fans at all and don't even see him as a first rounder. "Dumb" is the most common word used to describe him by the scouts who are not big fans. Note: I'm not saying that there are not some scouts who might like him as a top 10, just saying I haven't spoken to any who do."

I've seen the "dumb" comment, or something similar, on too many occasions for this statement to not have at least some legs.

Edited by coastal_caniac

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet - Rutherford was asked about our draft pick and he pretty much said our draft pick would be an offensive player. It seems as though our scouts have Jones as the only D man in the top 6 for this draft and it's pretty much a sure thing that he'll be taken before we pick. So I'd imagine that we don't take Ristolainen or Nurse with our pick.

I agree, and although it wasn't explicitly stated, my take on JR's comments would be that not only do the Canes scouts not have a defenseman in the #5 spot, that they would draft an "impact" player = on the roster next year.

I wonder if Semin will get in touch with Nichushkin if we draft him. I'm not familiar with the KHL contracts and what he would have to do to play in the NHL, but do you think Semin could talk him into making the jump sooner? Do you think he looks up to Semin enough and covets the chance at a Stanley Cup enough to leave easy money in the KHL behind?

Just to clear things up , here is My opinion on how the draft is going to go down , so here is my Mock Draft for the first top ten  

colorado / jones

florida / mackinnon 

tampa /  drouin 

nashville / barkov 

carolina / nichushkin

calgary / Shinkaruk

edmonton / nurse 

buffalo / lindhom

new jersey / monahan

dalas / mantha  

Well somebody is liking Nurse cause he's shot up the mock draft boards. But dumb is not good.

I generally see him ranked above Ristoleinen, so it would look like outside of a trade down or a trade for Dman, we would go offense.

Edited by remkin

Just to clarify on Nurse, the dumb comment doesn't imply "dumb-stupid", but that he's more of a project long-term.  Most say 2 years.  And these are pro scouts, not mock drafters from the media.

He's been steady in the top-8, no doubt.

Edited by coastal_caniac

So he's saying picking Nurse high would be dumb? or the people putting him top 5 are dumb? or Nurse is dumb?

Come on now........ no one or nothing is dumb (well ?)......this is a discusion board.....

As JR discussed, with the cap being lowered next season and due to buy outs, a solid defense or offensive player may fall to the team.

We could take anyone in the draft so let's keep an open mind. K?

Edited by Spite71

So he's saying picking Nurse high would be dumb? or the people putting him top 5 are dumb? or Nurse is dumb?

Good gosh.  :Aarrg:

He's just saying the scouts he's talked to think his hockey-smarts need some development. Says nothing about his skill or potential upside, or who has who picked to go where. 

Forget I even brought it up.  Craig Button seems to rank defensive guys high and I wasn't really surprised he had us picking Nurse.  But, like he mentioned, he was putting guys in places of team needs.

Edited by coastal_caniac

NHL.com's Eastern scout has Nurse #8, Western conf scout: #5. Not sure who they are.

No mention of him being dumb :razz:

Just watched JR and Muller's end of season review. It sounds like we are pretty content picking at #5, and pretty sure we are drafting a forward. Doesn't sound like we are moving, or are considering taking a defenseman. I complain about the defense as much as anyone but I think picking a forward is the right move when you look at the talent available. What I found interesting is JR saying that the scouts say the top six guys are potentially special. This obviously included Jones, Drouin, Mackinnon, Barkov, and Nichushkin. But who is #6, Lindholm or Monahan?

What I really found interesting is JR's comment about the draft likely determining Skinner's position next year. It sounds like we would have no aversion to drafting another center. If he is talking about our drafted player having an impact on positions next year, then it makes the possibility of drafting Nichushkin and Lindholm questionable because of potential contract issues (unavailability). I think if Barkov is there we will take him. If not, these recent comments may point to Monahan. Lindholm's size may work against him also. Lots of interesting stuff, but I am going to concentrate on Barkov, Monahan, Nichushkin, and Lindholm as it really looks like we will end up with one of them.

Edited by Kyrule