The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

Very interesting perspective. Three voices for Monahan, yet he has no votes!  :letssee:

Back around December Monahan was routinely ranked around #5. And there is really nothing but accolades about what I've read. 

I'll tell you this Coastal, with no votes for Monahan if we pick him you get the credit for calling it.

But if Barokov falls to number 5 it might be tough to pass on that. That guy has been top 5 for a year most have him #4 and a couple at #3 going before Drouin. 

Interesting stuff. Seems like picking a forward at #5 is almost a can't miss.

Edit: for what it's worth Craig Button's Mock Draft has us taking Nurse. 

(but he also has Monahan going next at 6 followed immediately by Lindholm)  :letssee:

Edited by remkin

Very interesting perspective. Three voices for Monahan, yet he has no votes!  :letssee:

Back around December Monahan was routinely ranked around #5. And there is really nothing but accolades about what I've read. 

I'll tell you this Coastal, with no votes for Monahan if we pick him you get the credit for calling it.

But if Barokov falls to number 5 it might be tough to pass on that. That guy has been top 5 for a year most have him #4 and a couple at #3 going before Drouin. 

Interesting stuff. Seems like picking a forward at #5 is almost a can't miss.

Edit: for what it's worth Craig Button's Mock Draft has us taking Nurse. 

(but he also has Monahan going next at 6 followed immediately by Lindholm)  :letssee:

Just to clarify, with all other factors removed my wish list for forward would be in this order:

1. Nichushkin

2. Barkov

3. Monahan

4. Lindholm

I didn't include Drouin or Mackinnon because they are probably gone at #5.

If I had to rank them in order of likelihood of being drafted by the Canes it would be:

1. Monahan

2. Nichushkin

3. Barkov

4. Lindholm

Barkov is third because he is also probably gone at #5. Lindholm would be a bit of a surprise to me if drafted by the Canes.

One last thing, I was going to comment on the consistency of Monahan's ranking as others (outside of the big four) tend to be all over the place. One concern I do have about Monahan is the level of opposition. It seems like Barkov, Nichushkin, and Lindholm have played against superior opponents to this point.

For the contrarian in me...

The one thing this team has never had is a true shut down monster defenseman. Looking back at past drafts lots of D men go in the top 10. I know we took JJ, but he was never going to be that anyway. We have since the cup had defensive challenges every year.

This year no team in the bottom 9 defensively made the playoffs. Only one team in the top 12 D teams missed the playoffs and it was by a tie breaker they missed.  

I know JR is saying we need help now. I know it is rare for D men to be NHL ready right away, but I am also reading that the Lindholm and Monahan may or may not need at least a year to be NHL ready. I know JR doesn't like to draft Dmen, but I also know JR doesn't have a great track record building defenses. 

We have a very solid #1 goalie. 

Add Nurse in a year or two and in 3 years Nurse/Faulk shuts anyone down for years. Also allows the next 2 guys to be 3/4 whoever they are. 

Our offense is going to be fine. We need defense. Yes we need a quick fix. But super stud dmen are hard to get outside the draft, just ask Philly trying to get Weber. 

Just a thought.

You guys are talking a lot about forwards... does anybody know anything about the dmen in this draft that aren't named Seth Jones? What are the guys playing styles? Ristolainen, Nurse, Pulock and Zadorov are my top d guys.

If we draft Monahan we're going to be disappointed. He's played the easiest opposition out of all the ranked 1-7 players. Yes, he was on a bad team playing well, but he wasn't a gamechanger that carried his team. Jones was, MacKinnon was, Barkov was, Drouin was, Nichushkin was. Monahan also had a -25 or something. For a team with defensive woes, drafting a negative player might not be that smart. 

Just my opinion though  :faint:

The defensemen besides Jones are not NHL ready next year, and since that's the case JR isn't drafting them. You can look at his draft history, his past remarks on drafting defensemen, or look at the press conference JR did with Muller for the end of the season and he said they are picking the best available player, and their scouting staff believes it will be a forward.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

On the defenseman, the only non Jones dman being projected anywhere near #5 is Nurse. Anyone else would be a reach even if JR did want to draft a dman, unless he trades down.

Coastal laid out JR's history very nicely. And he has said immediate impact and forward. And that is probably what will happen. But while JR is fairly straightforward, he doesn't necessarily lay his cards on the table pre draft either. 

While JR hasn't picked many Dmen in the first round and has said he doesn't like to, he hasn't had a guy like Nurse sitting there either. And again, JR has not built many great defenses either. 

We are really pretty good on offense and have Rask in the wings. We have a jam at 1-2 center and there are a lot of centers at the top of this draft. We need defense. The best long term move at #5 is probably to draft Nurse.

That said, both the GM and Coach need a turnaround this year so bad it hurts. So they probably take the best forward available. But if that guy cannot contribute next year, we'd have been better off w/ Nurse.

Edited by remkin

Monahan is +31 in his OHL career.  He played on a bad team last year and was -18.  Just to clear that up.

Edit:  And just to follow up on the ridiculous notion Monahan is a defensive liability just look at any site that rates prospects and it's fairly easy to see the consensus is that Monahan's two-way play is one of his strengths. 

I understand that he's not the flashy guy many of you want the Canes to draft, but let's at least get our facts straight.

Again, I'm only speculating on who the Canes will take if the top-3 hold out to be Jones, Mac, and Drouin.

Edited by coastal_caniac

If we draft Monahan we're going to be disappointed. He's played the easiest opposition out of all the ranked 1-7 players. Yes, he was on a bad team playing well, but he wasn't a gamechanger that carried his team. Jones was, MacKinnon was, Barkov was, Drouin was, Nichushkin was. Monahan also had a -25 or something. For a team with defensive woes, drafting a negative player might not be that smart. 

IMO that's what makes Nish and Barkov more attractive choices. Even against more mature professional competiton, they still excelled in demonstrating their skill and excellence. Monahan may be a character guy with skill but probably not an elite player now.

This team has never seen a player like Nichushkin within reasonable grasp. If we pass on him because he's Russian I'd boycott the Hurricanes until August. hahaha like that's possible

I haven't posted in this thread but this is exactly my thought. I dont know what I'd do if Nich is there for the Canes and they dont take him. He is ridiculously good.

I'll just say that if JR and Co. have Nichushkin available and they don't draft him, they aren't sticking to their 'draft the best available player'. They would be drafting the 'best available player who can play immediately'. Although, this is pre-combine and Nichushkin has several options this summer. He could very well be playing in the NHL next season. If we don't take Nichushkin I'd want to hear JR's thought process behind it. Valeri Nichushkin would be drafted first overall if his name was Jack Smith and he was not from Russia. We also have a world-class talent from Russia in the name of Alex Semin, who's experienced character attacks and high expectations, who can really help a young kid from Russia in a new country on a new team in a new league. I could understand skipping him slightly if we didn't have an asset like Semin factoring in. Not to mention Semin may enjoy a leader role where he can actually be vocal and the company of another Russian player who looks to be as elite as Semin one day.

And might I add I have nothing against Monahan and I wasn't claiming he was a defensive liability. But confidence is a fragile thing, especially for a young rookie who was just drafted high and has expectations. If you throw in a player who's strength is two-way play and throw him on a team that allowed one of the leagues worst GAA a game, his confidence may get rattled. Also I just simply don't think Monahan is fifth overall worthy. If we draft him and he's like a new Brandon Sutter I'd eat some crow, but honestly if it was between a new Brandon Sutter or a future Evgeni Malkin/Rick Nash/Erik Cole/Jordan Staal hybrid, it's the hybrid all day everyday. Ever since we lost Erik Cole we haven't had a player who can rush the puck down the ice and into the crease. Nichushkin does this North-South rush almost every shift.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

One interesting thing to keep an eye on are that Eric and Jordan might be playing together in the worlds...Yes, Semin Staal Tlusty was a great combination but if the brothers can show some real chemistry here, options galore open up.  Can Skinner center the 2d line?  I think so, his playmaking improved the extra space will help.  He'd have to accept the playmaker role more but putting him with Ruu who can bang and Tlusty who is defensively responsible and can really snipe would make a formidable top 6.  Maybe Skinner gets some time centering a line in Worlds as well.  Drafting Nichushkin is a solid option as even if he honors the KHL contract, we stay in good shape and he comes in to take Ruutu's spot.  I still like Nash as a 3rd line center but guys like Monahan and/or Barkov would certainly push him (which may not be a bad thing). 

Picking 5th in this draft is going to be a really tough call. 

I'll be happy with any of Barkov, Nich, Monahan, or Lindholm, if we draft a forward. .  It's up to the team on how they would develop any of them individually to fill a need and find their ceiling.  I don't care for the signs that JR is leaning towards putting a guy directly in the lineup, but I can understand he's likely in a tough spot after the nightmare ended (and with some of his over zealous contracts with NMC's).

I'm avoiding getting my hopes up on any one of them due to the fact I've had my fill of dashed hopes.  That, and maybe I like a defenseman if we had the patience to fill a long-term need.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I feel like we're drafting best available for the first round, MAYBE second round, but from then on out it's all organizational needs  (defense and goaltending)

^ Yeah, if anyone takes Nichushkin before us it's them.  :nailbite:

I figured I should add these here:

Reporter: Is there any thought to packaging a pick and a player and moving up in the draft? If you could get to #1? (18:18 in)

JR: No. I don't think we need to do that based on what our amateur scouting staff is saying. What I'm told is that whatever - first of all it's a great draft. It's almost maybe as good as the '03 draft and teams that are going to pick later in the first round are going to get very good players. Could even get a star player, okay? And even into the second round, but what I'm told by our amateur scouting staff is that the top six players are the elite players and the guy that we pick at 5 could be as good as the guy picked at 1. Now obviously there's a difference of position whether the defenseman goes one or two or wherever he goes, um, you know, there's value at getting that defenseman. But, I don't think the team that's thinking to get the defenseman at the top of the draft is going to move their pick. And it may turn out that the guy we pick at 5 ends up being as good as the guy that's picked at 2, so - so -

Reporter: So do you think you'll go for an offensive player probably?

JR: Um, yeah, those are the guys that fall in there yes.

And then this quote is the one most people are taking as word that our drafted player will play for us next season (which we should stop):

JR: ... and the draft pick we're ganna get, fifth overall, that our scouting staff and everybody in hockey says this is one of the top drafts, that this player will be an impact player for the Hurricanes.

Nowhere does it say immediate or next season. Simply that the drafted player will be an impact player for our organization.

(first quote is ~18:18 in, second about 1:13 into the end of season press conference)

Edited by SuckaPunchd

There's no reason to stop speculating that JR wants a guy on an ELC from this draft when he's indicated on at least 4 other occasions publicly prior to that interview that he thinks this draft could produce a lineup ready player.

So there's that.

For example, from May 2 and Canes Now, and JR stating:

Rutherford said a decision on Skinner at center could affect the team's approach at the the draft in June, saying, "You've got some center-icemen in the top five (prospects)."

Edited by coastal_caniac

"but what I'm told by our amateur scouting staff is that the top six players are the elite players". 

I wonder who he has in the top 6. Does he include Nurse? Monahan? Lidholm? 

1-5 seem pretty well agreed on: Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nich.

Who is number 6, the last of the elites?

There's no reason to stop speculating that JR wants a guy on an ELC from this draft when he's indicated on at least 4 other occasions publicly prior to that interview that he thinks this draft could produce a lineup ready player.

So there's that.

For example, from May 2 and Canes Now, and JR stating:

Rutherford said a decision on Skinner at center could affect the team's approach at the the draft in June, saying, "You've got some center-icemen in the top five (prospects)."

I'm sorry where did I say we should stop speculating JR wants an NHL-ready prospect from this draft? It's an obvious expectation that when you draft at 5th overall, whoever you take is closer to being in the NHL than having to go back to Juniors. I'm just clearing up the fact JR never said whoever is drafted is playing in the NHL next year. They may expect it, but that's way different than declaring someone who we haven't drafted yet will be in the NHL Lineup next year. Not to mention we haven't even had the combine yet.

Uh, how  about what you just posted "And then this quote is the one most people are taking as word that our drafted player will play for us next season (which we should stop):"

One more time Suckapunched, there's a lot of us, if you look back over the thread, that think JR's comments indicate he would like to draft an NHL ready prospect. Actually, it's the foundation of a lot of opinions as expressed so far.

"but what I'm told by our amateur scouting staff is that the top six players are the elite players". 

A cool poll right now would be to list your top-10 draft picks, in order of drafting, for a grand prize of a Joni Pitkanen bobblehead.

:sarcasm:

Edited by coastal_caniac

One more time Suckapunched, there's a lot of us, if you look back over the thread, that think JR's comments indicate he would like to draft an NHL ready prospect. Actually, it's the foundation of a lot of opinions as expressed so far.

So, please, just stop.

Stop what, exactly? Contributing to the discussion? Sharing quotes? Don't tell me to stop because you don't like what I'm saying, just ignore it.

Aren't we all entitled to our opinion? I don't ask you to stop when you've snidely commented on several of my posts here. Putting words in my mouth and whatnot. But you can 'discuss' any which way you seem fit, just like I can.

Back on topic: Who do the 'Canes choose 35th overall (second round)?

Edited by SuckaPunchd

A cool poll right now would be to list your top-10 draft picks, in order of drafting, for a grand prize of a Joni Pitkanen bobblehead.

:sarcasm:

Well I do have a Joni Pitkanen bobble-head right here bobbling at me as I type. But I don't want to part with it yet. I have a couple I might part with, but I'm not sure anyone would want to win them.

But in all seriousness for those who arrange and design shrubberies contests, it would be a good one.

I guess you missed the part where I posted quotes, or the fact I'm not trying to back anything up, but pose a situation none of us have mentioned (the off-chance our drafted player isn't ready for the NHL next season, which by the way isn't impossible).

Here's 25 - 37 of NA rankings (and their 2013 stats)

25 24 Klimchuk, Morgan Left Wing Regina WHL (36g, 76pts in 72gp)

26 13 Erne, Adam Left Wing Quebec QMJHL (28g, 72pts in 68gp)

27 11 Morrissey, Joshua Defenseman Prince Albert WHL (15g, 47pts in 70gp)

28 41 Dauphin, Laurent Center Chicoutimi QMJHL (25g, 57pts in 62gp *rookie*)

29 59 Hayden, John Center USA U-18 USHL (11g, 20pts in 24 gp)

30 16 Dickinson, Jason Center Guelph OHL (18g, 47pts in 66gp)

31 44 Heatherington, Dillon Defenseman Swift Current WHL (4g, 27pts in 71gp)

32 22 Bowey, Madison Defenseman Kelowna WHL (12g, 30pts in 69gp)

33 34 Petan, Nicolas Center Portland WHL (46g, 120pts in 71gp)

34 20 Compher, JT Left Wing USA U-18 USHL (7g, 24pts in 21gp)

35 31 McCarron, Michael Right Wing USA U-18 USHL (5g, 10pts in 19gp)

36 29 Bjorkstrand, Oliver Left Wing Portland WHL (31g, 63pts in 65gp)

37 45 Diaby, Jonathan-Ismael Defenseman Victoriaville QMJHL  (4g, 26pts in 67gp)

And 5 - 15 of European Skaters Rankings:

5 8 Wennberg, Alexander Center Djurgarden Jr. SWE-JR. (14g, 32pts in 46gp)

6 5 Burakowsky, Andre Left Wing Malmo Jr. SWE-JR. (4g, 11pts in 43gp)

7 6 Rose, Jacob Center Leksand Jr. SWE-JR. (2g in 14gp)

8 7 Hagg, Robert Defenseman Modo Jr. SWE-JR. (1a in 27gp)

9 9 Lehkonen, Artturi Left Wing TPS Jr. FINLAND-JR. (14g, 30pts in 45gp)

10 11 Buchnevich, Pavel Left Wing Cherepovets 2 RUSSIA-JR. & KHL (1g, 2pts in 12gp[KHL])

11 15 Yakimov, Bogdan Center Nizhnekamsk 2 RUSSIA-JR. (played in VHL and MHL)

12 10 Dano, Marko Center Trencin SLOVAKIA (4g, 10pts in 32gp)

13 14 Arnesson, Linus Defenseman Djurgarden Jr. SWE-JR. (1a in 31gp)

14 21 Rydberg, Viktor Center Linkoping Jr. SWE-JR. (12g, 35pts in 35gp)

15 18 Westlund, Wilhelm Defenseman Farjestad Jr. SWE-JR. (

As for goaltenders I'll list only a few:

Zachary Fucale (ranked 1 NA goalie)

Eric Comrie

Juuse Saros (ranked 1 EU goalie)

Personally, I'd like to see us draft one of the three goaltenders above, if not in the second then the third round. It looks like Nicolas Petan will go (or at least is ranked to go) right around our 35th pick. And he obviously stands out among any ranked around him with 120 points and over 45 goals.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

"but what I'm told by our amateur scouting staff is that the top six players are the elite players". [/size]

I posed this exact same question 3 or 4 pages back and had no takers. It is a pretty tough call between Monahan and Lindholm so who knows. I don't think Shinkaruk or any defenseman outside of Jones makes it into the mysterious "top six." Then again we could just be reading too much into this...

Anyway, I'm still hoping for Barkov or Nichushkin, although I wonder if Nashville would trade down a spot or two or draft Lindholm at #4 outright as they have another potential star in Forsberg. That would certainly makes things interesting. Still, I think both guys are smallish to average size players (but maybe they are not or Nashville isn't concerned with size).