The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

A cool poll right now would be to list your top-10 draft picks, in order of drafting, for a grand prize of a Joni Pitkanen bobblehead.

:sarcasm:

Yeah, but they break too easy...

I hope Nich is drafted before #5, JR will be damned if does and damned if he doesn't on that pick. He could pass him up for a safer pick that we know will report or roll the dice on a guy who may or may not want to come here. If he doesn't come here JR might as well go find himself a noose.

I hope Nich is drafted before #5, JR will be damned if does and damned if he doesn't on that pick. He could pass him up for a safer pick that we know will report or roll the dice on a guy who may or may not want to come here. If he doesn't come here JR might as well go find himself a noose.

That's why I wouldn't really mind it if JR trades the pick for a later 1st rounder and a decent D-man to boot...

Despite the relative lack of love and discussion of Barkov, if Nich goes in the top 4 either Barkov or one of the big 3 will be available and most likely it would be Barkov. While we would ultimately face a log jam at center with our current configuration, Barkov is otherwise the pick if he falls. Or at least should be.

He has been out w/ a shoulder injury, which may be part of his lack of love here, or maybe people just don't think he'll be there at 5. 

But if he is, this guy played in the top Finnish pro league and put up almost a point a game and a plus 18, at 17 years old. Not only that, but he is on the young end of the age curve so is actually younger than his age. 

He is 6'2"excellent offensive game and also excellent defensive game:

Craig Button:

”When you think of two-way players we at times don’t think of offense but certainly Pavel Datsyuk would qualify. In a similar way I feel Aleksander Barkov is that type of high end offense who is an excellent two-way player."

This is exactly what you need if you want a guy to play immediately at center. Has to be on third line. Has to be able to play both ends of the ice. 

I follow Mock drafts more than I should. But this guy has been ranked in the top 5 forever and has been listed at high at #3, ahead of Drouin both 4 months ago and a few days ago (of the 16 most recent mock drafts 4 have Barkov going #3). He is totally NHL ready also.

Monahan is popping back up around #6 lately, and Nurse is right there in that neighborhood also. 

But if Nich, Drouin, MacKinnon, and Jones are gone, the best, most NHL ready guy who could step right in and produce on that third line is Barkov. 

Edited by remkin

For what it's worth: (probably not too much):

Of the major published mock drafts in April and May (16 total):

Using them as a poll of sorts our pick would be:

Nich        8

Nurse      4

Barkov    3

Monahan 1

Only 1 of 16 would see us pass on Barkov if he is there.

(OK I am inferring that. 4/16 have Barkov going ahead of Drouin, all the rest (except that one) have him going #4).

Our poll is similar except for our Ristoleinen love. 

You do know it's your fault I started looking at mock drafts recently.

:woohoo:

So fun. So wrong, but so fun.

Edited by remkin

Craig Button:

”When you think of two-way players we at times don’t think of offense but certainly Pavel Datsyuk would qualify. In a similar way I feel Aleksander Barkov is that type of high end offense who is an excellent two-way player."

So wait, are you telling me that if we don't get Malkin (Nichushkin), then we might get Datsyuk (Barkov)? I'm beginning to like this draft stuff. ;)

Despite the relative lack of love and discussion of Barkov, if Nich goes in the top 4 either Barkov or one of the big 3 will be available and most likely it would be Barkov. While we would ultimately face a log jam at center with our current configuration, Barkov is otherwise the pick if he falls. Or at least should be.

He has been out w/ a shoulder injury, which may be part of his lack of love here, or maybe people just don't think he'll be there at 5. 

But if he is, this guy played in the top Finnish pro league and put up almost a point a game and a plus 18, at 17 years old. Not only that, but he is on the young end of the age curve so is actually younger than his age. 

He is 6'2"excellent offensive game and also excellent defensive game:

Craig Button:

”When you think of two-way players we at times don’t think of offense but certainly Pavel Datsyuk would qualify. In a similar way I feel Aleksander Barkov is that type of high end offense who is an excellent two-way player."[/size]

This is exactly what you need if you want a guy to play immediately at center. Has to be on third line. Has to be able to play both ends of the ice. 

I follow Mock drafts more than I should. But this guy has been ranked in the top 5 forever and has been listed at high at #3, ahead of Drouin both 4 months ago and a few days ago (of the 16 most recent mock drafts 4 have Barkov going #3). He is totally NHL ready also.

Monahan is popping back up around #6 lately, and Nurse is right there in that neighborhood also. 

But if Nich, Drouin, MacKinnon, and Jones are gone, the best, most NHL ready guy who could step right in and produce on that third line is Barkov.

I agree on Barkov. He is my 2nd pick for a power forward.

Just feel that Nich and Barkov have played and starred against much tougher compettion. IMO this makes them much more valuable and more NHL-ready for next year .... if we can get them to NA!  Think we'll be happy with either one for years to come. Then JR can focus on trading to rebuild the defense and not drafting for part of it.

Edited by Bill_B

The Nichuskin situation seems to be becoming a little clearer. 

It now sounds like he is signed through 2015 after his trade to Dynamo was finally completed.  He has also made public statements indicating he intends to play out that contract in the KHL.  He's also stated he will not come to NA to play anywhere but the NHL, no CHL, no AHL.

http://en.rsport.ru/hockey/20130501/659962228.html

......"the presumptive top-five pick muddied the situation last week by telling reporters he plans to play out the duration of his KHL contract, which expires in 2015. He said he wanted to model is career arc on Vladimir Tarasenko, 21, who was drafted 16th overall in 2010 by the St. Louis Blues, but struck an agreement with the NHL team that allowed him to play two full seasons with Sibir Novosibirsk before moving to North America earlier this year."

As far as an out-clause that would allow him to opt-out for the NHL after a year, it appears that is prohibited in the KHL.  So, it's sounding more and more like Nich will be in Russia through at least 2015.

Nich is the key for us at #5. If we were #4 or higher it would only affect if we consider picking Nich or not. But for us at #5 it affects our guarantee to get just about guaranteed elite whether Nich or someone else.

If the Russian factor plays out fully and teams are looking at a two year wait and then still having to deal with that situation again in 2 years...Nich will fall out of the top 5 possibly by a bit. In that case it is highly likely that Jones, Drouin, MacKinnon and Barkov go 1-4 and we are faced with Nich plus Russian factor, or someone else. In that case JR takes Monahan, Nurse or Lidholm. 

BUT if Nich comes out and says "I want NHL next year." and makes it evident that is going to happen, then Nich could go in the top 4. I have trouble seeing him jump ahead of MacKinnon, but he could go 3 or 4 if the Russian factor is strongly reduced. But that is still better for us, because then we get Barkov or Drouin. (Most likely Barkov). 

But Barkov or Drouin are SERIOUS talents in different ways, but both Elite. Like future multi year All Stars elite. 

So whether we get him or not, we need Nich to start making decisions and announcements that he is coming this way next year.

I posted this before, but it was asked again. My official wish for our second round pick is this guy:

Samuel Morin: 6'6" defenseman. Ranked #23 NA skater (but Europeans will fill in ahead so could be there).

Rugged, Skates, Can make a play with the puck.

Reminds of Chara, but more polished than Chara at that age. 

He's probably gone though. Yes, his combined rank with Europeans filling in is around #28-35. Yes he is the quintessential second round pick. Huge size, lots of upside. There are no other monster D men in that ranking range and at least two rankers have him as a very late first rounder. So yes, he's probably gone at #35, but since D men take longer to develop and assuming we take an elite forward at #5, this guy would be having our cake and eating it too. In a few years he could be as good as Nurse or better.

If he's there. I pick him.

Zach Fucale is an interesting one Coastal mentioned. Of 8 rankers of skaters, 4 have Fucale going first round Craig Button has him

going #9, others 21-26. But the other 4 have him available in the second round.

It now sounds like he is signed through 2015 after his trade to Dynamo was finally completed.  He has also made public statements indicating he intends to play out that contract in the KHL.  He's also stated he will not come to NA to play anywhere but the NHL, no CHL, no AHL.

......"the presumptive top-five pick muddied the situation last week by telling reporters he plans to play out the duration of his KHL contract, which expires in 2015. He said he wanted to model is career arc on Vladimir Tarasenko, 21, who was drafted 16th overall in 2010 by the St. Louis Blues, but struck an agreement with the NHL team that allowed him to play two full seasons with Sibir Novosibirsk before moving to North America earlier this year."

As far as an out-clause that would allow him to opt-out for the NHL after a year, it appears that is prohibited in the KHL.  So, it's sounding more and more like Nich will be in Russia through at least 2015.

Your timing is amazing. I was composing my "the key to our draft is Nich coming to North America" post when you posted this.

This is not good for us unless you really like Nurse, Monahan or Lidholm better than Barkov or Druion or Nich in 2 years.

If this ends up being the final word there is NO way that #3 or #4 take him w/ Drouin and Barkov sitting there. And it would then be highly unlikely that #4 leaves the other one of Drouin or Barkov on the board. 

So we will have to decide to wait on Nich, or pick Monahan, Lidholm or Nurse. Of those, I am starting to agree with you on Monahan. Not as the best pick but as the most likely pick.

I just cannot see JR waiting or trying his luck with changing the Russian's mind. I doubt he takes Lidholm over Monahan, but there is an outside chance he goes defense w/ Nurse.

Of course it could all change, but that's how I think it plays out if this is Nich's final position.

Edited by remkin

I've been lurking around this thread for a while now.  I wanted to wait until more facts were in before I made any kind of opinion since this topic is out of my realm... but this is the final nail in the coffin as far as us drafting Nichuskin, IMO.  It's too much of a risk.  I don't see JR going for it and frankly neither would I.  If we have to chose between Sean Monahan and Nichuskin at #5 I'm going with Sean Monahan.  But, drafts usually get analyzed and predicted down to the wire then go totally off-the-wall when the picks start rolling in... so my best guess is utterly useless.  What experts had us pegged to snag Skinner and pass on Fowler?  I bet 99% of everyone on the board here thought it was a sure thing up until the pick was announced.  I know I did and the shock of seeing the Skinner pick caused me to do a double-take.  So, who knows what will happen... I just don't see JR picking Nichuskin with this new info.

I think Nichuskin will be worth the wait but not for us. There is still no certainty he would make the leap in two years. There are teams out there that can wait but I don't thing we are one of them.  I really like  Lidholm but still think we go with Monahan.

I think Nichuskin will be worth the wait but not for us. There is still no certainty he would make the leap in two years. There are teams out there that can wait but I don't thing we are one of them.  I really like  Lidholm but still think we go with Monahan.

I'd disagree, I think we are capable of waiting for Nichushkin. Our top 6 is set, and we have several forward prospects that are in that "make it now or you never will" year next season. Not to mention our big problem is on the back end. But I'd only be delusional to think JR picks Nichushkin now. :thumbdown::cry:

I'd disagree, I think we are capable of waiting for Nichushkin. Our top 6 is set, and we have several forward prospects that are in that "make it now or you never will" year next season. Not to mention our big problem is on the back end. But I'd only be delusional to think JR picks Nichushkin now. :thumbdown::cry:

As has been pointed out in previous posts JR has a way of surprising us. Nichuskin could still be in play. I just don't think so. I read he now said he would only play in the NHL if he comes to North America. No OHL or AHL for him. Under that criteria two more years in the KHL might not be a bad thing for a team willing to wait.

Based on JR's comment during the press conference, and unless somebody picking before us goes off the board, I think our pick will come down to Hunter Shinkaruk and Sean Monahan. I know most mocks have Monahan rated higher, but Shinkaruk's numbers are amazing over the last two years. He is not the biggest guy, but he plays pretty aggressive, is a captain, and a natural wing is probably a bigger need for us than a center. I would not be surprised to hear his name called at #5. I think we would be very happy with him.

That being said, I think we should take Ristolainen or Nichushkin...asuming that the top four picks play out as expected.

Edited by cclifford10

I am certainly no prospect expert, but reading thru several sites, i was excited about the Russian kid, Nichushkin, for the many reasons cited above. Surely there are many reservations, but KHL contract not withstanding, I was hoping that between the agent connection that he and Semin share as well as Semin's own influence on one of his countrymen, that these complications could be worked out. Then I was just reading over on HockeyBuzz (I know, I know not the most credible site around here), an article by Adam French, whose reputation I don't know, that his opinion of NICH is that he plays a ''spotty" game, at least at the U18's.

Is this  an accurate characterization as far as those of you who follow these prospects know? If so, this may be another red flag.

Scouts most definitely pay attention to a prospect's performance in the U-18's. 

Word is Nich's poor performance was due to him either being physically exhausted or his effort just wasn't there, and as a result he was floating and letting other players do the dirty work mucking the puck out of corners and off the boards. 

I have no idea which, it's just what I've read.  Red flag, dunno.

Thanks, guess from your comment, that this is just an isolated occurence. IF he's as good as projected, then might be a real positive pickup, if JR has the ability to understand his contractual obligations. Seems to be a conflict in his intentions, and I just wonder if the language barrier plays a role?

As has been pointed out in previous posts JR has a way of surprising us. Nichuskin could still be in play. I just don't think so. I read he now said he would only play in the NHL if he comes to North America. No OHL or AHL for him. Under that criteria two more years in the KHL might not be a bad thing for a team willing to wait.

Nich would fit right in at the end of Ruutu'c contract which would be quite nice...another conspiratorial thought though, Semin and Nich have the same agent right?  Maybe Nich doesn't want to go in the top 4, maybe he wants to come here to play with Sasha and these kinds of comments almost make him a lock to be available at 5. 

Nich would fit right in at the end of Ruutu'c contract which would be quite nice...another conspiratorial thought though, Semin and Nich have the same agent right?  Maybe Nich doesn't want to go in the top 4, maybe he wants to come here to play with Sasha and these kinds of comments almost make him a lock to be available at 5. 

I think he would be there at 5. Some reports have him as high as 8 or 10. I think more information on all the draft players will come out as we get closer to the end of June. He hasn't really played that many KHL games yet.