The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

I am certainly no prospect expert, but reading thru several sites, i was excited about the Russian kid, Nichushkin, for the many reasons cited above. Surely there are many reservations, but KHL contract not withstanding, I was hoping that between the agent connection that he and Semin share as well as Semin's own influence on one of his countrymen, that these complications could be worked out. Then I was just reading over on HockeyBuzz (I know, I know not the most credible site around here), an article by Adam French, whose reputation I don't know, that his opinion of NICH is that he plays a ''spotty" game, at least at the U18's.

Is this  an accurate characterization as far as those of you who follow these prospects know? If so, this may be another red flag.

The kid played throughout the KHL playoffs with Traktor all the way to the Gagarin Cup Finals. They lost to Dynamo, who then immediately traded for Nichushkin. He was sent to the U18 during the Finals, which could account for some of his play. He most likely wanted to stay in the KHL playoffs and was also most likely pretty tired. Not to mention this whole trade to Dynamo business after having a firm understanding he would only play for Traktor in the KHL until his contract ran out then he'd decide KHL or NHL. That also probably played into his performance in the U18s. He had a lot going on at the time. Also, if the team that just beat your team in the Finals immediately trades for you right after said finals, that should show you how special this guy is. I'll still be hoping hardcore we pick Nichushkin, but I don't know. He's most definitely worth the wait, he'll probably turn out better if he stays in the KHL for two years, or at least one more. But you can't really tell for sure. I just wish I could sit with JR and ask him how he feels about Nichushkin.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Here's another guy for our second round pick if he's there. Exact opposite of my other suggestion.

Nicholas Petan, Portland Winterhawks. A true midget. Ryan Murphy towers over him. 

He's 5'9" and not much heft at that. 

But, like Skinner all he does is score. Like crazy. For his age, off the hook.

He put up 120 points in 71 games. And another 22 in 15 playoff games. 

1.70 ppg. Led the WHL. And the youngest guy on the leader board.

Our boy Rask put up 1.11 ppg (which is still solid) but Rask is 2 years older.

I've never seen him play, but obviously he is a late first round, early second rounder because of his tininess. 

But like with Skinner, those points just don't lie. If this kid was 5'11 even, he'd be top 10 if not top 5. 

He put up 9 more goals and 35 more points than Hunter Shinkaruk. 

I know people don't want any more smurfs, but we're talking second round here. 

I still want Morin though. But if this smurt is still there, take him.

Here's another guy for our second round pick if he's there. Exact opposite of my other suggestion.

Nicholas Petan, Portland Winterhawks. A true midget. Ryan Murphy towers over him. 

He's 5'9" and not much heft at that. 

But, like Skinner all he does is score. Like crazy. For his age, off the hook.

He put up 120 points in 71 games. And another 22 in 15 playoff games. 

1.70 ppg. Led the WHL. And the youngest guy on the leader board.

Our boy Rask put up 1.11 ppg (which is still solid) but Rask is 2 years older.

I've never seen him play, but obviously he is a late first round, early second rounder because of his tininess. 

But like with Skinner, those points just don't lie. If this kid was 5'11 even, he'd be top 10 if not top 5. 

He put up 9 more goals and 35 more points than Hunter Shinkaruk. 

I know people don't want any more smurfs, but we're talking second round here. 

I still want Morin though. But if this smurt is still there, take him.

Personally, I'd like to see us draft one of the three goaltenders above, if not in the second then the third round. It looks like Nicolas Petan will go (or at least is ranked to go) right around our 35th pick. And he obviously stands out among any ranked around him with 120 points and over 45 goals.

Am I invisible?  :bag: Ah, I don't blame you for skipping that long post.

He played with Ty Rattie, and I forget who his other winger was, but he played on the best line in the WHL. How much of his point production is affected by not playing with those two next season will remain to be seen. Still, those are incredible numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if Petan is a player who rises in the draft, and goes late first.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Sorry Sucka (that has a nice ring to it). I did miss your mention of Petan.

On the all important  :sarcasm: mock draft front.

A new mock draft form Gus Katsaros NBC Sports RotoWorld has few interesting predictions.

1. Has us taking Nurse. 

2. Has Nich falling all the way to #13 due to the KHL factor. (Actually below the guy I wanted for us in the second round:

3. Samuel Morin who is ranked around #30 ish he has at #11. Dang. Huge guy who can skate and play. Too many GM's want that.

4. Has Fucale going #9

5. Has Lidholm at 6, Monahan at 8.

6. Does not have Petan in the first round.

7. Like everyone else has Jone, Drouin, MacKinnon, Barkov as the top 4. 

In mock drafts it is #5 where the variation starts in terms of different names coming in. Makes it interesting I guess.

I still wonder w/ Nash looking decent, the Staals locking down the middle on the top two lines, and Monahan/Lidholm really centers, and Nich looking tied up for a couple of years plus, and with us badly needing defense, JR never really building a great defense...Nurse in round one. 

Nurse, Murphy, Faulk is a nice start on a good to great defense. 

(It isn't looking like he'll be there, but imagine Nurse round one Morin round two. Talk about building a defense in a hurry.)

(Or Nurse in round one, Petan in round 2. As a nice Defense-Offense double up). 

Edited by remkin

Although JR is very conservative. It would be interesting if he took Nichushkin at #5 and traded our #2 and McBain for another 1st round pick from a  team that will draft a defenseman, ie: Edmonton, Buffalo, or Philadelphia. Then the Canes would have a shot at Ristolainen, Nurse, or Zadorov.

Trading McBain would give us almost $2M in needed cap space. We still have a nucleus of assets to trade for a quality, physical defenseman, similar to an Eric Johnson (<$4M for at least a couple of years).

If need be, the Canes could wait on Nich but I'm sure JR would pressure him in the combine interviews and post-draft to come here now.

Anyone of the defenseman draftees could be in a 3rd pairing next season. They are big and physical with a lot of upside. I especially like the caliber of opponents Ristolainen has been playing against ... he may have the best chance of being NHL-ready.

Edited by Bill_B

our #2 and McBain for another 1st round pick 

Bill, thing is, why on earth would any NHL team want to give up a top-20 first-round pick for our #2 and McBain?  

How could we even begin to sell that without being laughed out of the building?

Bill, thing is, why on earth would any NHL team want to give up a top-20 first-round pick for our #2 and McBain?  

How could we even begin to sell that without being laughed out of the building?

Now that I look at it, it does seem  pretty feeble. I've only had one cup of coffee today ... may need another jolt of java. Guess it would have to be one of our core players instead of McBain and that's not going to happen. Maybe #2 (or #3) and McBain would work for an Erik Johnson trade with the Avs (or somebody similar)...

We are loaded with 3rd pairing defensemen. With Harrison you can skate Bellemore, Sangs, Murphy etc,etc We need a big stay at home 2nd pairing. That will come through free agency or trade IMO not the draft.

I do get the idea of not taking dmen. I look at Chara and Pronger two ultra dominant studs and yet neither really developed and dominated for the team that drafted them. Shea Weber did (but look what it cost to keep him) and Suter kind of did and then moved on.

Still, we are not a  major market that can just buy a good dman usually. And our approach has not yielded a very good defense.

I think in this year's draft it ultimately might be good to use that early second pick to get a dman.

I'm not saying we won't take a D-man. I'm just saying it won't be the fix for the upcoming season. I think we are shopping for D help. But I'm very bad at evaluating or guessing what JR will do.

I agree with that. Very few defensive draft picks are NHL ready and even if they are they are not "the" answer in year one.

JR has to find two NHL veteran dmen to replace Corvo and McBain at the least.

I agree with that. Very few defensive draft picks are NHL ready and even if they are they are not "the" answer in year one.

JR has to find two NHL veteran dmen to replace Corvo and McBain at the least.

Rem, I agree with you regarding NHL-ready defensemen normally. However, this year there could be a couple or three guys that could break through ... big, strong, physical kids. But that's academic IMO because we would use #5 for an NHL-ready forward.

Hope JR can get a couple of big, physical d-men via trade and/or FA to come here. We could use at least one quality player that would be a 1st or 2nd pair, preferably a 2-way guy. Then either a veteran leader to like Mark Streit (UFA) or a big physical 3rd pairing type like O'Byrne (not a goon but a decent skating, edgy guy).

Pitkanen or McBain will have to be traded...I would not get rid of both offensive d-men. Corvo and MAB wil be UFA's.

I don't think it's an absolute that we pass on Nurse. At number 5 I just can't see us taking anyone else on D unless we trade down, which I doubt. In my opinion it comes down to what JR and Muller and the scouts think of Nurse, and what they personally need for their own survival.

Either way we are going to need to add at least 2 NHL vet dmen. Even in Nurse were ready (probably not) he would be bottom pair, which is not where we need help this year.

In the end, while Nurse might be the best pick long term (we need a #1 top big monster dman more than another forward), both JR and Muller NEED a good year this next season, and thus I expect that the pick will be a forward.

But JR did pick Murphy, so it's not impossible.

Edited by remkin

We are loaded with 3rd pairing defensemen. With Harrison you can skate Bellemore, Sangs, Murphy etc,etc We need a big stay at home 2nd pairing. That will come through free agency or trade IMO not the draft.

IMO we are loaded with guys "we play" as 3rd pair. I agree with on the Canes need. But I'd qualify it in a couple of spots: big, physical stay at home or two-way 1st pairing d-man. In fact the Canes can use the same criteria for a less talented true 3rd pairing d-man.

I don't think it's an absolute that we pass on Nurse. At number 5 I just can't see us taking anyone else on D unless we trade down, which I doubt. In my opinion it comes down to what JR and Muller and the scouts think of Nurse, and what they personally need for their own survival.

Either way we are going to need to add at least 2 NHL vet dmen. Even in Nurse were ready (probably not) he would be bottom pair, which is not where we need help this year.

In the end, while Nurse might be the best pick long term (we need a #1 top big monster dman more than another forward), both JR and Muller NEED a good year this next season, and thus I expect that the pick will be a forward.

But JR did pick Murphy, so it's not impossible.

I like Nurse and especially Ristolainen but there are really some talented forwards available at #5. And as we know, forwards tend to be NHL-ready quicker than d-men, I expect JR to fix the defense with known quantity veterans. Any d-man draftees will be for the future, so I don't see that happening until the 2nd round. I still wish there's some way we could get Nich or Barkov and Ristolainen (he's played against much tougher competition and starred).

Edited by Bill_B

Sorry Sucka (that has a nice ring to it). I did miss your mention of Petan.

I still wonder w/ Nash looking decent, the Staals locking down the middle on the top two lines, and Monahan/Lidholm really centers, and Nich looking tied up for a couple of years plus, and with us badly needing defense, JR never really building a great defense...Nurse in round one. 

Nurse, Murphy, Faulk is a nice start on a good to great defense. 

(It isn't looking like he'll be there, but imagine Nurse round one Morin round two. Talk about building a defense in a hurry.)

(Or Nurse in round one, Petan in round 2. As a nice Defense-Offense double up). 

It does. I'm one Sorry Sucka. :P If we picked Nurse I'd want a trade-down. I just don't think he's good enough for top-5. But that's my personal opinion, and I'm a 21 year old posting on a forum  :spin:

Although JR is very conservative. It would be interesting if he took Nichushkin at #5 and traded our #2 and McBain for another 1st round pick from a  team that will draft a defenseman, ie: Edmonton, Buffalo, or Philadelphia. Then the Canes would have a shot at Ristolainen, Nurse, or Zadorov.

Trading McBain would give us almost $2M in needed cap space. We still have a nucleus of assets to trade for a quality, physical defenseman, similar to an Eric Johnson (<$4M for at least a couple of years).

If need be, the Canes could wait on Nich but I'm sure JR would pressure him in the combine interviews and post-draft to come here now.

Anyone of the defenseman draftees could be in a 3rd pairing next season. They are big and physical with a lot of upside. I especially like the caliber of opponents Ristolainen has been playing against ... he may have the best chance of being NHL-ready.

I like this idea, even if we undervalue McBain, he was chosen for Team USA in Worlds, which isn't necessarily an easy thing to do. I think he has value in the NHL, especially if JR can sell other teams on McBain's recent bad stats being a result of an overall horrible defense. If McBain isn't enough, how many of you would feel dealing someone like Murphy in a trade to get another first round pick and a decent vet dman? Depends on the dman to me, and whoever is available at whatever pick we get in return. If a nice dman is there, like Ristolainen or someone similar, I'd go for it. That way we can get Nich, some consider the best player overall in this draft, and then we start to really upgrade our defense with the all important drafted dman. IDK, but Bill got me thinking that another draft day trade could actually help us improve our defense where it's best to begin, in your own system, as well as drafting the best player available (Nichushkin) who actually in my opinion has a good chance of playing for us other than most teams with Semin on our team, and not because he's Russian, but also their agent Diamond.

"I do get the idea of not taking dmen. I look at Chara and Pronger two ultra dominant studs and yet neither really developed and dominated for the team that drafted them. Shea Weber did (but look what it cost to keep him) and Suter kind of did and then moved on. Still, we are not a  major market that can just buy a good dman usually. And our approach has not yielded a very good defense. I think in this year's draft it ultimately might be good to use that early second pick to get a dman."

Yeah, but we're starting to evolve as an organization, spending close to the ceiling and actively acquiring guys/pursuing guys in the Free Agency and big time trades.  (J. Staal and Semin) He was able to pull those two off, which are both huge. So I think JR is capable of getting a well rounded dman for the second pairing, whether it's in a trade or a signing. Most guys being bought out will be bought out for a reason. Some may be purely in terms of their cap hit, but you'd think those guys may actually resign with their old teams to more reasonable contracts if they don't want to move. I don't know, but this offseason is going to be pretty exciting. Especially since all our excitement over Semin and Jordan Staal is waning with our dismal season, JR is going to want to rekindle that excitement. Even moreso with prices raising

ISS May Rankings:

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30-released-for-may/

Top 10:

Jones             

MacKinnon      

Drouin

Nichuskin

Barkov

Nurse

Lindholm

Zadorov

Monohan

Horvat

#11 is D-man Ristolainen, a target for any trade for a second 1st round pick. Here's an article from ISS site on him.

http://thehockeywriters.com/rasmus-ristolainen-the-next-ones-nhl-2013-draft-prospect-profile/

To go along with Rem's recent comments, getting either Nich or Barkov at #5 would be GREAT. I like the write-ups on their skills and there physical presence/frames.

The writing is on the wall here people! Unless Nich's contract/mess allows him to play this year. The logical pick of this draft would be Barkov. We need size and this guy can provide it. Plus there are other Finns on the team that our an integral part of our team's future.

We lack a true power forward in the system. Ladd and Cole are no longer with our team. Those are the last legit power forwards that we have had come through the system. Anyone else feel this way?