The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

A big body doesn't mean a guy will be physical.  We've seen enough examples of that on this team.  A smaller frame also doesn't mean a guy won't play big.

Still, at #5 Shinkaruk likely won't be on the radar, IMO.

That is a good site. 

It looks at the moment like Nich is planning to stay in Russia. If so, most have him dropping as far as #13. 

If Nich makes it clear he is open to coming over sooner he could go at #4, or we could take him. Either way we get him or Barkov most likely with an outside chance of Drouin, but really long shot. That would be very sweet but at the moment seems unlikely. If there is any question at all about Nich, Barkov will go 3 or 4 and one of the top 3 in the other slot. Leaving us with a shot at a delayed Nich or...

...if, as it appears, Nich drops out of the top 5 or even top 10. Then we seem to be left with:

Nurse, Lidholm, Monahan, or outside chance at Zadorov, Pulock, or Ristoleinen, all Dmen. 

(I don't see us reaching for Shrinkarut, another smallish forward at #5, again if we trade down...)

So, if Nich is out of the top 5, then #5 is where the tree branches widely. Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, and Barkov are near locks for the top 4 w/ Nich out.

So to me unless JR and the boys have a serious hankering for one of those names above, trading down would not be a bad idea. We could drop all the way to 13 and get one of those names or Nich. I mean what if some team below us really wants say Nurse or Lidholm. Would they trade a solid vet dman plus their pick for our pick and say McBain? We fix our defense in one move.(possibly one more move needed).

If we do not trade down, it probably comes down to how JR et all look at Nurse. Do they love him? If not, then they pick Lidholm or Monahan. 

I wonder if the Staal injury plays in? Flashes of what one bad injury could do at that position. What if Staal's recovery is slower that expected? There are worse things that being super strong down the middle. But one does wonder how an elite prospect feels about being boxed in on the third line? J. wasn't a fan of it. 

In the end last year was a freebie on a "make or break" season that the team broke. If this team does not rebound next year heads will roll. The same heads making this pick. They are not going to wait two years for Nich. They are not going to wait for a dman either. If they think one of those Dmen is NHL ready they might do it. Otherwise, Lidholm or Monahan look pretty likely.

Still all of that said, the best long term move might be drafting Nich and waiting for him. 

Semin-E.-Tlusty

Nich-J-Skinner

Could easily be the best top 2 lines in the league.

Someone mentioned monahan as the type of player jr would like, and after reading his profile, I'm more inclined to agree.

He's even being compared to Eric. 6'3 195. Had it not been for a 10 game suspension, he'd probably would've led ohl in scoring.

It would be interesting to see the results of another poll right now, maybe adjusting the available players.  Too bad we can't do it without starting another thread.  Sigh.

I really want Nichushkin (he's #1 on my wish list based on our position in the draft) but his contract situation scares me.  The team is in a position where adding a solid piece to the current line up could take us to the next level. Taking a player at #5 overall and waiting 1-2 seasons to see him play at PNC is not ideal, in my opinion.  

With that said, Monahan could be the best option.  And that's nothing to be disappointed about.  He is a big, well-rounded forward who is known as a superb 2-way player and for his leadership on the ice.  He could instantly be our 3rd line center, adding a solid threat for a line which struggled throughout this past season.

This would allow us to keep the top 6 together which I think is a great thing.  The second line needs more time together to grow chemistry.  The talent is definitely there and the styles of each player should compliment one another well.  

Tlusty - E Staal - Semin

Skinner - J Staal - Ruutu
? - Monahan - Dwyer
Blanchard/Wallace - Nash - Westgarth

Another guy I really like, who could slip into the second round, is Samuel Morin.  He is a 6' 7" defenseman, known as a big-hitter with a mean streak.  He is also great at grinding it out in front of the net and knows how to utilize his size in order to break up plays.  Would be ideal for this team and could see playing time in Raleigh in the upcoming season, though he'd need some time in Charlotte initially. 

Edited by TheFaulker

From the Denver Post concerning the Av's and their #1 pick.  Not so fast on Jones.......

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013/05/20/rick-pracey-no-1-pick-open-for-avalanche/13624/

The combine (beginning June 27) could result in some very interesting choices in the top-5.  Like I've been saying all along, it's all up in the air at this point.  Can't wait for the draft.

With all this time on our hands,sadly,like many of you, I've fantasized as to what moves would be the most fruitful on Draft Day. Without a doubt, were Nichushkin unencumbered by his contract entanglements, he'd be the outright choice to better this team instantly.

On the other hand,I have pondered on an uncharacteristic bold move(s) which could instantly "fix" the troubled D that annually plagues this team. Toronto is apparently giving thought to off loading (buying out??) Komisarek. What would y'all think of JR picking him up (yes I realize that he's elderly and likely on downside of his career) specifically to tutor and help nuture a "stud" D draftee like Nurse or Ristolainen picked in 1st round. This could be our 3rd pair.

That could be the 1st move. Then trade McBain and move up to pick up either Zadarov or Morin. Either of these could then pair with Harry. Yes, some struggles early from these youngsters, but we'd suddenly have a sizeable defense as well as our good puck movers.

JR would certainly be "thinking outside the box" and would probably lose it if he were so bold, but think how this strategy could instantly as well as long term right the D ship?

I was early to the party on Morin (see post #316, and again #364), but the more I think about it the more I am convinced he will not be there in the second round let alone #35. If he is I'd grab him though. GM's love big defenseman and this guy is huge and can skate and is being compared w/Chara. 

On Denver not taking Jones. The article says "Hey they might not take him, but yah they're going to take him".  I could see a team less strong down the middle passing on Jones for MacKinnon though. 

On a new poll, once this got merged I lost control of the poll. 

But I agree this poll has spoken. I am assuming that people are mostly voting thinking Nich is available. If so, he is the overwhelming favorite here. 

It might be interesting to do a poll with something like: ASSUMING NICH will not play in the NHL for two more years who WILL the Hurricanes pick....Nich anyway, ....and other names.

These things are always give and take. Should we put Barkov in a poll? He is the OBVIOUS choice if he is there, yet he only got 2 votes. But if Nich is gone would that change? But w/  Nich dropping due to the KHL factor,  there is very little chance Barkov is there for us at 5.

I would probably just do a poll:  Assuming Nich drops due to KHL, and Jones, Drouin, MacKinnon, and Barkov are off the board, who will the Hurricanes pick at #5? And list some names.

Edited by remkin

Per Twitter:

"Valeri Nichushkin tells RSport.ru he has decided to transfer to North America. Dynamo in the KHL have no issues terminating his contract."

Now that makes the draft really interesting. Reevaluating as I type.

Per Dmitry Chesnokov on Twitter:

"Nichuskin and his possee claim that the Canes and the Lightning have shown interest in the Russian prospect"

Rumor has it he is #1 on the Lightning's scouting board.

There's just no way JR can screw up this draft if Nich goes in the top-5.

If he drafts Nurse, or any other defenseman with the top-5 pick in this draft, I'll throw myself off a building.  Well, maybe that's extreme, so maybe I'll just hit my thumb with a hammer or something.  Anyway, the point is, that would be the dumbest thing he's ever done as GM.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Reevaluating which way? Gotta be a reason Dynamo have no interest in trying to keep him.

I'm wondering with Nich reconsidering what that means to the top 5. I think if he is there at 5 you have to take the chance. If he is not it will still give us more choices at 5. The thing about Nich is he hasn't skated that many KHL games and has previously stated he wouldn't skate OHL or AHL hockey if drafted. Only NHL. 

answer: reevaluating my thoughts we would draft Monahan.

Nichushkin preparing for move to North America
Wednesday, 05.22.2013 / 12:17 PM
By Adam Kimelman - NHL.com Deputy Managing Editor / 2013 NHL Draft blog

Valeri Nichushkin, NHL Central Scouting's second-rated European skater in its final rankings of prospects for the 2013 NHL Draft, told a Russian newspaper that he plans on playing hockey in North America next season.

"I have already decided I will go to the NHL," Nichushkin told R-Sport news agency in Russia. "Dynamo [Moscow] has accepted this calmly and I was told that I can leave if I want to. There are no legal problems. My deal with Dynamo is terminated and I am leaving a free agent."

Nichushkin had four goals and two assists in 18 regular-season games with Traktor Chelyabinsk in the Kontinental Hockey League. He raised his play in the postseason, scoring six goals in 25 games to help Traktor reach the KHL finals. He won the KHL's Alexei Cherepanov Award, given to the league's top rookie.

The 6-foot-4, 202-pound right wing also had a goal and an assist in six games to help Russia win the bronze medal at the 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship.

On May 1, Nichushkin, a native of Chelyabinsk, was traded to Dynamo Moscow.

HOLY SHAMOLY this is GREAT news for us. We are now in the "no drop off" zone. The "no branching zone" where the top 5 are set and the rest can shake out below us.

If this is true it almost assures we get an absolute primo blue chip elite offensive guy or Jones (hah).

Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, and Nich (if available) are THE top guys period. After that there are very very good players, future stars, available, but it gets dicier as to who to pick.

Now it is simple. Simply take whoever is left from the top 5 and smile from ear to ear.  :D

Edited by remkin

Well, this kinda takes all the excitement out of the pick...Point, click, insert impact player.  But it does get me excited for next year.  If Jones somehow falls to us, we will have a very young but dynamic and solid blue line for years to come; if it's Nich, Barkov, etc. we have a guy to certainly step into the top 6.   Can there be a way to let Skinner center the 3rd line with Ruutu and Dwyer?  We'd need another guy to compliment Jordan and whomever the pick is but holy moses would we be tough to deal with. 

HOLY SHAMOLY this is GREAT news for us. We are now in the "no drop off" zone. The "no branching zone" where the top 5 are set and the rest can shake out below us.

If this is true it almost assures we get an absolute primo blue chip elite offensive guy or Jones (hah).

Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, and Nich (if available) are THE top guys period. After that there are very very good players, future stars, available, but it gets dicier as to who to pick.

Now it is simple. Simply take whoever is left from the top 5 and smile from ear to ear.  :D

Lindholm is probably in the same class as Nich and Barkov...

There is some talk that Nashville likes Monahan so we may get our choice of the three.  There is also some talk that Tampa likes Nich at #3, but if that happens, there is NO WAY that Nashville takes Mohahan over MacKinnon. 

If we were restarting the poll with the second tier players that we may have a shot at (Lindholm, Barkov, Nich, Monahan, Ristolainen, and Nurse), I would like us to pick Ristolainen and I think we will pick Barkov.

My revised draft order:

1.   MacKinnon

2.   Drouin

3.   Ristolainen

4.   Jones

5.   Barkov

6.   Nich

7.   Lindholm

8.   Monahan

9.   Shinkaruk

10. Nurse

There is some talk that Nashville likes Monahan so we may get our choice of the three.  There is also some talk that Tampa likes Nich at #3, but if that happens, there is NO WAY that Nashville takes Mohahan over MacKinnon. 

If we were restarting the poll with the second tier players that we may have a shot at (Lindholm, Barkov, Nich, Monahan, Ristolainen, and Nurse), I would like us to pick Ristolainen and I think we will pick Barkov.

My revised draft order:

1.   MacKinnon

2.   Drouin

3.   Ristolainen

4.   Jones

5.   Barkov

6.   Nich

7.   Lindholm

8.   Monahan

9.   Shinkaruk

10. Nurse

Lidholm may end up there when it's all said and done, but he is not universally regarded in that same upper atmosphere based on scouts and mock drafts. I'd take Barkov or an available Nich over him easily.

You are a bit over enthusiastic about Ristolainen at #3 and above Jones in my most humble opinion. You're not related to him somehow are you? :grin:

Edited by remkin

Wow, that is great news for the 'Canes.  Looks like we will get to pick between Barkov and NIchushkin.

I don't buy the talk from Colorado.  Seth Jones will be the #1 pick and I'd bet a good amount of money on it.  The interesting part will come after the Jones pick.  Tampa Bay is apparently showing interest in Nich but I just can't see them passing on Drouin or MacKinnon.  I'm not too worried about Nashville taking Nich, I've heard they really like Barkov. 

Essentially, we are in a great spot right now.  The top 5 players all seem like instant impact guys and we are guaranteed one of them.

Lidholm may end up there when it's all said and done, but he is not universally regarded in that same upper atmosphere based on scouts and mock drafts. I'd take Barkov or an available Nich over him easily.

You are a bit over enthusiastic about Ristolainen at #3 and above Jones in my most humble opinion. You're not related to him somehow are you? :grin:

Ristolainen has it all and has proven it at a higher level than Jones.  If he was Canadian, he would be at the top of every board.  He is just as big as Jones, a lot nastier, and matched his offence at the WJC.  Jones hasn't played against grown men yet.  If I was making this pick, I am pretty sure I would be calling his name.

I agree that Barkov and Nich are a little higher that Lindholm, but he is in their class.  Depending on team needs, I could see him going ahead of them.  For the Canes, we need the size.  I would take Barkov because he has more experience, is more consistant, and is all out all the time.  I would also be very excited to get Nish.  I think we are in a can't loose position!

My revised draft order:

1.   MacKinnon

2.   Drouin

3.   Ristolainen

4.   Jones

5.   Barkov

6.   Nich

7.   Lindholm

8.   Monahan

9.   Shinkaruk

10. Nurse

If that turns out to be the actual order I'll proclaim you a genius and give you the choice of any of my bobbleheads!

I like the outside the box thinking.

Have any of you guys read about Tyler Hill, currently projected a 2nd rounder?

He is a 6' 6", 225 lb winger who, as one scouting reports says, is able to "inflict damage in all forms possible".  Hill has shown the ability to handle the puck at a high level while at top speed.  Also known as an absolute playmaker with nice touches and smart set ups. Possess a strong shot from the point but would rather get in the dirty areas.  Heavy hitter. Knows how to finish a guy off.

I can't find a highlight video of Hill but he sounds like someone we need in Raleigh.

Here is a pretty good write-up on him:

http://www.nhlmockdraft.org/scouting-tyler-hill/

Edited by TheFaulker