The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

If that turns out to be the actual order I'll proclaim you a genius and give you the choice of any of my bobbleheads!

I like the outside the box thinking.

I don't think it will look anything like that.  I am just saying that would be my order.  If you want me to guess how it will really turn out...

1.   Jones

2.   MacKinnon

3.   Nich

4.   Drouin

5.   Barkov

6.   Ristolainen

7.   Zadorov

8.   Lindholm

9.   Monahan

10. Nurse

Here's a fantasy for you:  I have heard that Nashville is really looking for a big two-way center.  If that is true, and the first three picks follow the above chart, Nashville might take Barkov or Monahan, leaving Drouin sitting there at #5! :)  If that happens, I want two bobbleheads! 

I don't think it will look anything like that.  I am just saying that would be my order.  If you want me to guess how it will really turn out...

1.   Jones

2.   MacKinnon

3.   Nich

4.   Drouin

5.   Barkov

6.   Ristolainen

7.   Zadorov

8.   Lindholm

9.   Monahan

10. Nurse

Here's a fantasy for you:  I have heard that Nashville is really looking for a big two-way center.  If that is true, and the first three picks follow the above chart, Nashville might take Barkov or Monahan, leaving Drouin sitting there at #5! :)  If that happens, I want two bobbleheads! 

That looks more likely. At least 1-5. 

As to us getting Drouin, if teams fully buy into Nich being available, then that really could happen. As someone who spends about 18-20 games in the PNC center, I'd be in heaven.

Between Drouin, Skinner, and Semin we'd have three human highlight reels. 

Oh and as a watcher of mock drafts, I'll be most interested in where Nich is on the next few.

Edited by remkin

It would be nice if we could trade McBain and Rask for another pick.  There is potential all over this draft!  I would love to get Shinkarut with a later pick.  He can flat out score and he is a pest!  It would be like having a talented Chad Larose!  I really like Rask, but our 2nd line center job is taken long term.

Am I the only one concerned that Nichuskin seems to be dictating what he wants and will be willing to do?  What if he says "meh, I don't want to play in Carolina" after being drafted?

Am I the only one concerned that Nichuskin seems to be dictating what he wants and will be willing to do?  What if he says "meh, I don't want to play in Carolina" after being drafted?

It does concern me. He does seem to be a bit of prima donna with some of his reported statements. Then again look at what was said about Semin. That hasn't proven true. I think he wouldn't have taken this step unless he really wants it. 

If Drouin did fall to us somehow, how would the lines work?

Would it be smart to put him and Skinner on the same line? I feel like splitting them up would be ideal. It'd give us an elite playmaker on each of the top 3 lines. It's just a matter of who to put around them.

Edited by TheFaulker

Am I the only one concerned that Nichuskin seems to be dictating what he wants and will be willing to do? What if he says "meh, I don't want to play in Carolina" after being drafted?

First of all, let me say this is great news for the Canes. For the last few weeks I have been wondering if it will be Monahan or Lindholm, now I can throw Nichushkin, Barkov, and maybe even Drouin into the mix.

To answer your question Manwolf, no you are not the only one. This is the first thought I had when I read the "only want to play in the NHL" comment. I didn't post anything for fear of backlash and because I wanted more info. Maybe his situation dictated him saying these things, who knows. Still it is a concern. I have also read that Drouin can be a bit of a prima-donna, but this likely based on unfounded rumors. Still, do you pass on a guy like Nich because he is dictating the course of his career? I would say "no" due to his talent, size, and fit (winger). I would imagine that many of these top prospects have big heads with everyone gushing all over them, but the comments are a concern.

I think the combine interviews will be interesting, and this is where a guy like Monahan might shine. I would imagine that these guys are coached by agents and such, so I would expect a lot of canned answers.

Anyway, I still think this is great news for the Canes and it makes the draft more interesting IMO.

I would say my revised wish list would be:

1. Barkov

2. Nichushkin

3. Drouin

4. Monahan

5. Lindholm

Monahan and Lindholm are close, they both bring good things to the table. Having said that, Barkov and Drouin look to be more elite, can't miss talents. Nichushkin might fall just below, but his size and the fact that he is a winger pushes him to #2.

Oh, one more thing. I wonder if Barkov's shoulder surgery will affect where he is drafted.

Edited by Kyrule

I just don't see how Jones and MacKinnon get past the Avs and Panthers, so the likely scenarios are:

- Tampa takes Nichuskin, the Preds take either of Drouin or Barkov, the Canes take who is left of those two

- Tampa takes Drouin, the Preds take Barkov, the Canes take Nichuskin

-  Tampa takes Drouin, the Preds take Barkov, the Canes take Monahan or Lindholm

Pick you poison. :hairpull:

Edited by coastal_caniac

-  Tampa takes Drouin, the Preds take Barkov, the Canes take Monahan or Lindholm

So you don't think JR would take Nichuskin if he is there at 5, even if he is slated to come over? But Tampa or Preds would?

Not saying you're wrong. The Babchuk thing didn't work out great, but passing on Nichuskin if he's NHL bound immediately?

So you don't think JR would take Nichuskin if he is there at 5, even if he is slated to come over? But Tampa or Preds would?

Not saying you're wrong. The Babchuk thing didn't work out great, but passing on Nichuskin if he's NHL bound immediately?

That's the point, there is a possibility JR might choose to do one of 3 things dependent on how the top-3 picks go.

If Nich is available, he has a choice to take him or not.

I have no idea what JR will do.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Ya, my bad. I did kind of miss your second scenario. :blush:

But who would you take? If were between Nichuskin available at training camp, Monahan or Lidholm?

Just curious.

The Nich situation make me nervous,but I'll admit he would be hard to pass up if available.  This is an important choice for this franchise.

But the other thing is, with Semin signed long-term, he could potentially be a good mentor for the kid adjusting to North America.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Those have been my thoughts/hopes for a while now, however someone on another site brought up the fact that this kid may be somewhat of a prima donna? Hadn't thought of that angle, but this franchise simply does not have the luxury like many other larger markets have to make any mistake.I hope that all who conduct pre-draft assessment are astute enough to limit the risk of a potential draftee refusing to sign, similar to what happened to us with the goalie, Anderson??

I think the prima donna worry has been mentioned here as well. But he (Nich) has clearly made a choice by announcing his intention to come to North America and to attend the combine. His talent now makes the risk (IMO) worth the chance. I think Tamba Bay gobbles him up. If not he should fall to us.

OBXer,I completly agree with you,and thanks for reminding me where I might have seen the "prima donna" label.I certainly understand Costal's reservations,but how I would love for JR to have a shot at Nish.Should Tampa jump on this train,the consolation prize,Barkov,wouldn't be so bad either.

I'm not convinced Nich is without risk only the reward is worth the chance. Barkov would be a good choice. I'm not sure we will go after a center though unless his name is Mackinnon and that won't happen.

If Tampa Bay does snag Nich at #3 I see Drouin falling to us.  I see the top 5 playing out in 1 of these 2 ways (although trades could change things):

1. Jones

2. MacKinnon

3. Nichushkin

4. Barkov

5. Drouin

or 

1. Jones

2. MacKinnon

3. Drouin

4. Barkov

5. Nichushkin

I would be ecstatic with either scenario but I'd probably prefer Drouin over Nich.  He is an absolute playmaker.  Just imagine having Semin, Skinner, and Drouin on the same team. 

Edited by TheFaulker

I'm thrilled and devastated at the same time about Nichushkin and his announcement about NA. You guys shouldn't worry about him running back home based on who drafts him, btw. He's stated in interviews whoever drafts him will be his favorite team and he will play there. I can get links but they are in Russian so I'll translate them and edit this post later.

Thrilled because we would definitely pick him at fifth now, but devastated because this essentially means Tampa is going to take him. But it also solidifies our spot equaling a guaranteed future superstar in Barkov, Druin, MacKinnon, or Nichushkin. I just hope by some miracle Tampa passes on Nich. Maybe they deal the third pick to a later first And a new goalie? Yeah I know, they just added two goalies the past two years. Maaan, his unknown contract status was the key to Tampa passing him over.

And about him taking his career into his own hands, he as every right to do so. It's not dramatic or egotistical, he knows he is in a rough spot in this draft with the lack of clarity on his immediate future, and he put those doubts to bed. Dynamo letting him go has nothing to do with his attitude. If a player doesn't want to be on your team, you don't force them to play on your team. Not to mention the whole KHL loves him, he won their Cherpanov award (KHL's Calder Trophy) in 18 regular season games and 25 post season games. He also was a huge reason Traktor made the finals. So whoever said he didn't play many KHL games was wrong, unless you meant specifically regular season. I feel like Russians in the NHL are so often character attacked, and I found it kind of crazy you guys are beginning before he is even drafted into our league, much less played a game. Just my two pennies.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I'm the one who said he hasn't played that many KHL games. 43 (including playoffs) games. Thats half an NHL season. I think I'll stand by my statement. I was pointing out it was one more thing to consider. I also said he would be hard to pass up and the possible reward is worth the risk.

I cant believe it. I can now see a legitimate scenario where we can get Drouin at the 5th spot. 2 weeks ago I would have told you that you were crazy, but I can actually see it happening. For people who are afraid because of his size watch the videos of him you can see he uses that small size to his advantage, but he isnt afraid to jam up against the boards.

I'm thrilled and devastated at the same time about Nichushkin and his announcement about NA. You guys shouldn't worry about him running back home based on who drafts him, btw. He's stated in interviews whoever drafts him will be his favorite team and he will play there. I can get links but they are in Russian so I'll translate them and edit this post later.

Thrilled because we would definitely pick him at fifth now, but devastated because this essentially means Tampa is going to take him. But it also solidifies our spot equaling a guaranteed future superstar in Barkov, Druin, MacKinnon, or Nichushkin. I just hope by some miracle Tampa passes on Nich. Maybe they deal the third pick to a later first And a new goalie? Yeah I know, they just added two goalies the past two years. Maaan, his unknown contract status was the key to Tampa passing him over.

And about him taking his career into his own hands, he as every right to do so. It's not dramatic or egotistical, he knows he is in a rough spot in this draft with the lack of clarity on his immediate future, and he put those doubts to bed. Dynamo letting him go has nothing to do with his attitude. If a player doesn't want to be on your team, you don't force them to play on your team. Not to mention the whole KHL loves him, he won their Cherpanov award (KHL's Calder Trophy) in 18 regular season games and 25 post season games. He also was a huge reason Traktor made the finals. So whoever said he didn't play many KHL games was wrong, unless you meant specifically regular season. I feel like Russians in the NHL are so often character attacked, and I found it kind of crazy you guys are beginning before he is even drafted into our league, much less played a game. Just my two pennies.

You are correct, he does have every right to dictate the course of his career, I should have wrote that in my post.

What concerns me is the comment about "only playing in the NHL", none of the other stuff. What I failed to realize is that he is already playing in the KHL, so basically playing anywhere in North America but the NHL would be a demotion. Still, it seems disrespectful for an 18 year-old to say that he will not play in a league where men have toiled for years. What if he came here and struggled to adapt to North American style hockey? Should the team be forced to keep him on the big club?

Maybe something was lost in translation. Maybe I don't have the facts correct. Who knows.

On one hand he has every right to say he doesn't want to come here and be demoted, on the other it just seems disrespectful or that he is giving the team that drafts him an ultimatum. I don't know, now I'm confused.

I'm the one who said he hasn't played that many KHL games. 43 (including playoffs) games. Thats half an NHL season. I think I'll stand by my statement. I was pointing out it was one more thing to consider. I also said he would be hard to pass up and the possible reward is worth the risk.

Well it was only five games less than this last NHL season, and more than half a normal NHL season. In my opinion that's a fair amount of games at 17 :P And he had to be doing something right to win the rookie of the year award with just those 43 games.

Also, why am I getting four quote notices from coastal on posts that don't exist? I'm guessing they got deleted o-o

Edited by SuckaPunchd