The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

Basically SuckaPunched, I was trying to get rid of some of the huge blocks of text you write to only quote part of your post about Nich.

Usually, when people have that posting style, more often than not their point in the last sentence or so.  It's hard to get rid of it directly in the quote box with this new software without the entire quote dissappearing. 

After a few tries, I just gave up, so that's likely what you saw.

Nich is a legit top 5 pick and with him committing (if we can call it that) to the NHL, it pushes somebody down the pecking order or he falls to 5th.  Either way, Canes win.  Of course there is always the "JR comfort zone" factor that will push him to select Monahan if Nich is the one that falls to 5th.

I do think JR has moved outside his comfort zone in the last couple of years so I find the "don't take a Russian" angle by itself will not be an issue. If JR thinks Nich is the best player and will be available to play he will pick him.

BUT JR and Muller are not going to take a guy not available this upcoming season. They aren't going to wait a year or two on Nich.

So I think his absolute availability next year will be key. Now I don't think JR likes not being able to send him down...

This is where if Nich goes ahead of us, it is easy.

Of course nothing would be as easy as if Drouin dropped to us.

I do think JR has moved outside his comfort zone in the last couple of years so I find the "don't take a Russian" angle by itself will not be an issue. If JR thinks Nich is the best player and will be available to play he will pick him.

BUT JR and Muller are not going to take a guy not available this upcoming season. They aren't going to wait a year or two on Nich.

So I think his absolute availability next year will be key. Now I don't think JR likes not being able to send him down...

This is where if Nich goes ahead of us, it is easy.

Of course nothing would be as easy as if Drouin dropped to us.

if drouin droped down to us , we would have to take him,  the kid has a ton a skill with the puck and under the right training and leadership he would be a BEAST  , but i see tampa taking drouin , barkov going to the preds and the canes picking up  nichushkin . 

Basically SuckaPunched, I was trying to get rid of some of the huge blocks of text you write to only quote part of your post about Nich.

Usually, when people have that posting style, more often than not their point in the last sentence or so.  It's hard to get rid of it directly in the quote box with this new software without the entire quote dissappearing. 

After a few tries, I just gave up, so that's likely what you saw.

Ah, I was confused. Sorry I usually get carried away posting long posts. I'll try to stop :o

NHL.com 

Monahan looking forward to Draft Combine

I've been preparing for this event for a while with practice interviews and off-ice training. I know the testing is pretty hard and you need to really push yourself to prove yourself.

Do you guys think Monahan is being seriously considered with Nich's announcement and the virtual guarantee that one of Nich, Drouin, Barkov, even potentially Jones now with the Memorial Cup results last night are available at fifth overall?

Do you guys think Monahan is being seriously considered with Nich's announcement and the virtual guarantee that one of Nich, Drouin, Barkov, even potentially Jones now with the Memorial Cup results last night are available at fifth overall?

It would be very difficult to passup Nich, Drouin or Barkov. But I think everyone from 5-10 will be under serious consideration. As coastal pointed out earlier until the combine we can't be sure who will impress and what the final rankings will be. I can't imagine Jones would fall to 5 but if he did we would grab him in a heartbeat. Won't happem IMO.

I would definitely agree with the "anything can happen" point of view, but based on the scouting reports and the weight of the mock drafts, the top 4 as a block have been set in stone for a while now and Nich was only out due to the KHL factor. If that is removed, Nich is in. 

These guys are all going to be very good players, but the rankings all put Barkov solidly ahead of Monahan. Still, they are not miles appart and JR might like Monahan better, so you never know. But Barkov is already playing vs. men and JR wants a guy to step right in.

Personally, I think if Drouin or Barkov are there we take them.

My only question is if Nich is the one left. Even with his "I want to come over" statement, might JR hesitate due to the Russian factor and the fact that Nich does not seem to want to play in the AHL which means he must be put on the team.

But really, if he wants to come over, how do you not take this guy? W/ Semin on the team should make it even more likely.

Edited by remkin

If Colorado passes on Jones, they are idiots.  They have a huge need on defense and he is one of the best defensive prospects in recent years.  I'm still not buying the talk that he will fall a couple spots.  And even if the Avs pass on him, no way he drops all the way to #5. 

I saw on twitter today that Drouin is getting a lot of attention again.  I probably need to stop getting my hopes up of him falling because he'll likely be gone.  With that said, I'm perfectly happy with Nichushkin. 

Edited by TheFaulker

After reading the Tampa Bay scouting report on Nich, I just kept envsioning a bigger Jeff Skinner, which to me means taking the good with the bad. From TB Scouting Report,

Caveat: “He’s got great one-on-one individual skills with the puck,
              and that was maybe the problem with him, is that you thought maybe he didn’t see
              the other options and he didn’t play with other players real well.”

If Drouin or Barkov are not available, I would want JR to definitely take Nich. It would be interesting to seem him and Skinner play together on the 3rd line. The 3rd guy on that line should just go to the crease and look for rebounds because that is the only time he'll get the puck.

I don't know who would be on line 2 with J though.  Dwyer and ?

Nich - Skinner - Ruutu - 3rd LINE!

Wink wink.. .that's the ticket, J is our 2nd line guy. wink. shhhh.

Nich - Skinner - Ruutu - 3rd LINE!

Wink wink.. .that's the ticket, J is our 2nd line guy. wink. shhhh.

Think I'd rather see the 2nd line as Draft Pick/Jordan/Ruutu. Just leave Skinner on the 3rd line by himself and let him do his thing ... maybe with Dalpe and Dwyer.

Another article on Nichushkin today on the NHL draft site. Sorry, I don't know how to post link on tablet.

The interesting points are:

-Asked how sure he is that he will play in NHL next year, Nichushkin replied "100% sure."

-His contract with Dynamo has essentially been terminated with the stipulation that Nichushkin plays in the NHL next year, and only the NHL. The team that drafts him essentially has the option to send Nichushkin to Dynamo (even during mid-season), but cannot send him to AHL, etc.. I'm not clear if he then becomes Dynamo's property or if the team that drafts him still retains his rights.

-Nichushkin's agent says Nich is more NHL ready than the majority of players drafted within the last 10 years who went immediately to the NHL.

-The team that drafts Nich will be made fully aware of the Dynamo provision. Dynamo is not to receive any compensation for the termination of the contract, and I believe that is why the provision was put in place.

It is interesting that they are saying the contract is terminated, yet there is a provision that Nich must play in NHL or Dynamo. Sounds like a contract of sorts to me, or at least an agreement. The author also used the word "assigned" when speaking of an NHL team sending Nich to Dynamo. Would this be the first time something like this has happened? Does this mark any type of new cooperation between the NHL and KHL? It doesn't sound like the NHL was involved but Nich having to go back to Dynamo certainly seems unique. If Nichushkin going back to Dynamo terminates his NHL contract it would make sense, but if a player could be "assigned" to the KHL and recalled, that would be news to me. I'm sure there is a lot more to this that I don't know but there it is.

Having said all of that, I think Nichushkin would look great in a new Canes uniform :) (provided we retain his rights/he can be recalled). If sending him to Dynamo terminates his NHL contract/voids our rights than maybe we should look elsewhere.

Edited by Kyrule

Patrick Roy told Joe Sakic today that the team needs to study the possibility of trading the team first round pick in a month.- Renaud Lavoie on twitter

Edited by jfive

Another article on Nichushkin today on the NHL draft site. Sorry, I don't know how to post link on tablet.

The interesting points are:

-Asked how sure he is that he will play in NHL next year, Nichushkin replied "100% sure."

-His contract with Dynamo has essentially been terminated with the stipulation that Nichushkin plays in the NHL next year, and only the NHL. The team that drafts him essentially has the option to send Nichushkin to Dynamo (even during mid-season), but cannot send him to AHL, etc.. I'm not clear if he then becomes Dynamo's property or if the team that drafts him still retains his rights.

After reading that and unless there is something I'm missing I don't think we will touch him with a 10 ft. pole.

After reading that and unless there is something I'm missing I don't think we will touch him with a 10 ft. pole.

I edited my post at the end to reflect my thoughts. If his contract is not voided and we retain his rights (if he is sent to Dynamo), I still think we should take him. Dynamo would essentially be like an affiliate. Of course how Nichushkin would feel about this is another matter that needs clarification. If us sending him to Dynamo results in our contract being terminated/voided and we lose his rights then no, we should look elsewhere. There still needs to be some clarification here about this provision, and I'm sure the teams interested in Nichushkin will be made fully aware of the details of the situation. 

Guys, sorry if name was mentioned, but havent kept up with all of this draft, but  Lindholm has been mentioned, have u guys talked about him?

I edited my post at the end to reflect my thoughts. If his contract is not voided and we retain his rights (if he is sent to Dynamo), I still think we should take him. Dynamo would essentially be like an affiliate. Of course how Nichushkin would feel about this is another matter that needs clarification. If us sending him to Dynamo results in our contract being terminated/voided and we lose his rights then no, we should look elsewhere. There still needs to be some clarification here about this provision, and I'm sure the teams interested in Nichushkin will be made fully aware of the details of the situation. 

I get all that but man what a risk. He holds all the cards. I know his potential is great but that just put him back in the high risk category. Using the KHL as your farm system isn't very attractive to me. I think I still take a pass on Nich but I gotta admit the kid has Chutzpah.

I don't mean to spam but I am on my home computer now. Here is the article:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TORONTO -- Sports agent Mark Gandler confirmed to NHL.com Tuesday that his top draft-eligible client, Russian right wing Valeri Nichushkin, has terminated his contract with Moscow Dynamo in order to play in North America next season. But there is a provision.

"If he's not playing in the NHL, he's going to have to play for Dynamo," Gandler told NHL.com. "The termination [of his contract] occurred without compensation to the team. This is what we would owe the team for that provision."

Gandler isn't the only person who is confident the 6-foot-4, 202-pound left-hander will earn a roster spot on an NHL team next season.

Asked how confident he is that he will play in the NHL in 2013-14, Nichushkin said, "100 percent sure."

Gandler said players like Nichushkin don't come around very often and that whichever team selects him at the 2013 NHL Draft in Newark, N.J. is going to be very satisfied. The agent also confirmed that the team drafting Nichushkin will know the terms of the Dynamo contract.

"The team drafting him will know that they would have to assign him to Dynamo if he wasn't playing for their team," Gandler said. "It could happen during the season or it could happen prior to training camp or during training camp. But I strongly believe Nichushkin is more ready for the NHL than a majority of players over the past 10 years who played in the NHL right after the draft."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Obviously it was not the author of the article that used the word "assigned", it was Nichushkin's agent. It sounds to me like the team that drafts him would retain his rights/maintain their contract even if he is sent to Dynamo. If this means that Dynamo would simply act as the the Checkers, then I am fine with that...as long as Nichushkin is.

Edited by Kyrule

Guys, sorry if name was mentioned, but havent kept up with all of this draft, but  Lindholm has been mentioned, have u guys talked about him?

Lindholm has been mentioned. Before Nichushkin said he would come to North America it looked like our best choice might be between Lindholm and Monahan. I like Lindholm but I think he will go 6-7-8 in the draft.

It still stings that we did not earn a top-3 pick as that is where the top-tier (no risk) really ends!!

That said, Roy did mention he is considering trading away the #1 overall pick.

Send the Avs our #1 this year and our #1 next and Joni-P for Seth Jones. 

Do it!!  

Not much has been said about Lindholm. He is reportedly a good skater and playmaker with a competitive attitude. Some compare him to Forsberg and Zetterberg but those are lofty comparisons. He may also have a contract in Sweden next year, but I'm not sure. I think he has been brushed over a little here because we are looking for more size and would prefer a winger. There is some concern as to whether or not his game would transfer well to the NHL, but then again this can be said of just about anyone. I think bigger players are seen as having an advantage when coming to the NHL. Still, Lindholm may have also been playing against men, like Barkov and Nichushkin (of late), but I'm not sure about this. Anyway, he is generally seen as a safe pick with some upside. I have seen some clips of him throwing checks and he seems pretty good at it for a guy his size. Personally I think he will end up being a good two-way player with good playmaking skills and a competitive disposition that makes him a leader-by-example type guy.

As OBXer said, I don't see him getting past the 7th or 8th pick if we don't take him. He has been pretty consistent in his rankings (like Jones, Makinnon, Monahan, etc.).

Edited by Kyrule

It still stings that we did not earn a top-3 pick as that is where the top-tier (no risk) really ends!!

That said, Roy did mention he is considering trading away the #1 overall pick.

Send the Avs our #1 this year and our #1 next and Joni-P for Seth Jones. 

Do it!!  

That seems a little excessive. Giving them two number one picks and a roster player. What I don't understand is why so many here think Joni is trade bait with his broken heel. Why would a GM take the chance before Joni skates again?