The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

News flash, we've already "worked" ourselves into a good draft position.

Got a good laugh at that one...  sad but true.

Man, if we can get Seth Jones!!!!  

That said "IF" the Canes win 2 or 3 in a row starting tonight, they're right back in the race big time.  But is that the good news or bad?

Seth Jones would certainly put us in a better place but he likely wouldn't just walk onto our roster. We'd still have the same issue next year while we wait on him to develop.

I would love a Chara, Hedman type killer though.

If we can get the first pick and get Jones (big if I know), then bring up Murphy, and have Faulk and Gleason.  Then we trade (or attempt to) Pitkanen for Marc Staal in NY.  Then we would have a top 6 of Gleason, Faulk, Jones, Staal, Murphy and Harrison.  Sure we wouldn't be awesome right away as Murphy and Jones would need time to develop but I think we would definitely be taking a HUGE step in the right direction!  We would be well on our way to fixing our defense.  

What would be the cost for this to happen?  We would lose a little with Pitkanen's salary compared to Staal's (so my guess is we would have to throw something else in the deal as well), and Jones would cost $3.775 million against the cap (max salary of 0.925 and signing bonus of 2.85 million) see deals for Nugent-Hopkins and Nail Yakupov.  

I hate to say this but losing more games this year might actually be the first step into fixing this defensive problems!

Other than the collecting Staal's angle, why is everyone so high on Marc Staal? He's a great defenseman but is he a "best in the league, sell the farm to get him" type guy? It's hard to compare defensemen, but I figure +/- is a better gauge than scoring points (for a true defensive defensemen which is what we need) and he's only a +4.  He's 59th in the league in +/- for D.  Right behind him in 60th also with a +4.  Justin Faulk.  Somehow through some sorcery McBain is a +6.  I know that doesn't tell the whole story.  He also only has 2 goals and 9 assists for 11 scoring points. Depending on how you gauge it is he even the best Dman for the Rangers? Del Zotto is a +7 with 15 points, Stralman +5 and Mcdonagh a +4 with 13 points.  Granted, all three of those guys have played 10 more games than Staal with his injury.  

I'm not even sure if picking up a top 4 superstar Dman would even help the team at this point.  There's going to need to be a major roster shift next year.  If we hold pat we are doomed. 

Other than the collecting Staal's angle, why is everyone so high on Marc Staal? He's a great defenseman but is he a "best in the league, sell the farm to get him" type guy? It's hard to compare defensemen, but I figure +/- is a better gauge than scoring points (for a true defensive defensemen which is what we need) and he's only a +4.  He's 59th in the league in +/- for D.  Right behind him in 60th also with a +4.  Justin Faulk.  Somehow through some sorcery McBain is a +6.  I know that doesn't tell the whole story.  He also only has 2 goals and 9 assists for 11 scoring points. Depending on how you gauge it is he even the best Dman for the Rangers? Del Zotto is a +7 with 15 points, Stralman +5 and Mcdonagh a +4 with 13 points.  Granted, all three of those guys have played 10 more games than Staal with his injury.  

I'm not even sure if picking up a top 4 superstar Dman would even help the team at this point.  There's going to need to be a major roster shift next year.  If we hold pat we are doomed. 

Are you gauging his stats against other dmen on the Rags blueline with stats in the same number of games?  Or are you comparing his less GP with their more GP? Like you said it's hard to gauge. 

Are you gauging his stats against other dmen on the Rags blueline with stats in the same number of games?  Or are you comparing his less GP with their more GP? Like you said it's hard to gauge. 

Plus Minus is a tough stat to evaluate as what you want to look at is what situations they are out there for and against whom.  If the Rangers need to kill a penalty, who is out there?  If they need to protect a lead, who is out there?  If they need a goal, who is out there?  I admit, I haven't watched enough Rangers games to make a full assessment but that team is usually one of the toughest to score against and Marc Staal is a big reason for that.  Heck, if we can trade Pitkanen and get a Marc Staal type player out there, then let's do it!  I definitely am not saying to empty the bank (which is already pretty empty).  Not at all.  Pitkanen is our main currency.  Willing to throw in a Checker/Cane to finish a deal.

Because it is fun to throw names out there and Marc seems a logical player to go after.  He fits the type of defenseman we need AND of course the 'selling' factor it would bring.  The NHL media would eat up this situation which could only be good press for the Canes.  Would the Rags actually make this deal?  Not sure what they would want in return.  They have a solid defensive core with young guys.  Do they have a Pitkanen type defenseman?  Well, I guess Del Zotto would is close?  Anyhow, just having fun putting names that I think COULD be a serious possibility.

Let's be patient, and wait two more years until he becomes a UFA. JR already gave away our best "D" prospect and Brandon Sutter so we could have Jordan 1 season early. That was a complete waste of assets. Let's not get impatient, and throw away more assets to get Marc early. And it's not so apparent, that Marc even wants to play here. It's a nice PR gimmick, but there's really no reason to collect all 4 Staal brothers. I've over it. We're already stuck with Jordan for 10 more years at a pretty handsome salary. And unless he improves greatly, that will have been a bad contract. 

No thanks on trading ANYTHING for Marc Staal. 

Edited by TheBigKahuna

Let's be patient, and wait two more years until he becomes a UFA. JR already gave away our best "D" prospect and Brandon Sutter so we could have Jordan 1 season early. That was a complete waste of assets. Let's not get impatient, and throw away more assets to get Marc early. And it's not so apparent, that Marc even wants to play here. It's a nice PR gimmick, but there's really no reason to collect all 4 Staal brothers. I've over it. We're already stuck with Jordan for 10 more years at a pretty handsome salary. And unless he improves greatly, that will have been a bad contract. 

I'd give up Joni in a heartbeat...plus a bag of pucks...cause we know JR has a whole collection of them for what we've traded Jussi and others for.

Honestly, I didn't get that far, at first I was comparing him with the rest of the league just straight up.  Then when I was comparing him with the rest of the team I did notice he had played 10 less games than everyone else.  I didn't realize he had been out that long (don't follow the Rags of course) but that was the "Oh hey.. he's played less games" but I didn't get into like points per game or anything like that.  So sure, he's probably got a better average output than the other guys because he's got similar points, hits, +/- in less games. 

I agree with rememberthewhale though, why would they let him go? I think our chances of getting him at ANY price are slim and none. 

I for one DO NOT want 3 Staal brothers playing on one team.

That's an incubator for over-the-top fa·vor·it·ism, something I think this team has a problem with already!

I'd much rather land a Marc Staal caliber Dman
(just not Marc himself).

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

i agree 100%... jJR basically threw away a lot of assets and a first round pick for this mess???? and we dont need another streaky crybaby pouting staal to go with eric.........we need leadership and alot of it.......

I agree Jordan has been a disappointment so far but I don't think he's a crybaby. He was doing pretty good before Skinner was injured this season is lost but I would like to see a few games with staal skinner and Ruutu I still think when that line is healthy and has time to gel it can be a solid line. with Ruutu out we were filling his position by over slotting players.

Littled noticed is that Sports Club Stats has a section for most likely draft position for each team.

If you go to the absolute bottom of the Canes page: http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Southeast/Carolina.html

You'll see the simulation currently has the Canes best pegged for 4th pick position.  (The lottery could change things after that.)

#1 position is somewhat of a dream, with only a 1% chance.  They'd have to pretty much lose out in order to get there too.  Mostly likely is somewhere between #6 and #3.  The "worst" they probably would do is 13th pick.  But that would be a near win-out record.

I could be wrong but didn't they change the rules for the draft this year when they ended the lockout?  I thought I remember reading that it was possible for a team to finish high in the standings and still get a top draft pick.   Anyone else remember hearing this?

I could be wrong but didn't they change the rules for the draft this year when they ended the lockout?  I thought I remember reading that it was possible for a team to finish high in the standings and still get a top draft pick.   Anyone else remember hearing this?

Yes they did, and I don't remember them precisely, but I think they expanded the lottery to beyond the first 5 and allow more than a 5 position jump.

In any case, it starts with positioning.  The ultimate order will be by lottery.  I believe #1 position still has the best chance.  But there was talk of a team *waaay* down to have a small chance too, and be able to move up more than 5 (the current rule). 

:sarcasmalert:  This probably assures the Penguins their dynasty

So, start with positioning.   Lottery comes after.  I only mentioned "lottery" once in my post.  Sorry if people are taking it as hard and fast.  It isn't.  There is a lottery that could scramble things a bit.

Edited by wxray1

I believe the rule allows any of the non-playoff teams to get the #1. These were the only teams in the lottery before (and that's still the case). There's just no 5-spot move limit.

#1 position is somewhat of a dream, with only a 1% chance.  They'd have to pretty much lose out in order to get there too. 

If this team has shown nothing else over the last month, it is that they have the ability to lose out.

Seth is the consensus #1 pick. And even with our breathtaking losing streak we are 5 points out of last with 9 games to go. It's not that we could't mostly lose out, it's that Colorado and Calgary are both awful. 

Maybe we get lucky in the lottery. 

Look it stinks that we have fallen into this funk, but our biggest need is defense and Seth Jones is a can't miss guy. Put him with Faulk and ride them for 15 years. Worth a couple more losses? Of course, but don't tell anyone.

Edited by remkin

Seth is the consensus #1 pick. And even with our breathtaking losing streak we are 5 points out of last with 9 games to go. It's not that we could't mostly lose out, it's that Colorado and Calgary are both awful. 

Maybe we get lucky in the lottery. 

Look it stinks that we have fallen into this funk, but our biggest need is defense and Seth Jones is a can't miss guy. Put him with Faulk and ride them for 15 years. Worth a couple more losses. Of course, but don't tell anyone.

Sports Club stats raised the Cane's odds on #1 position from 1% to 2% last night.  Woo hoo!  More realistically, it added a lot of odds to #3 and #4.

Remember, there's a lottery.  Get #3 or #4, and they might still lottery in as #1 pick.  Unless of course, Bettman rigs it to get the Penguins first pick again.

I believe the rule allows any of the non-playoff teams to get the #1. These were the only teams in the lottery before (and that's still the case). There's just no 5-spot move limit.

Thanks, I knew they changed something.