The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

canes1213.jpg

Which Staal is which?

NHL.com has a write-up about Nichushkin and his desire to be a top player his first year.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=672471&navid=DL|NHL|home

After reading that, Nich just might be gone by 5.

This quote was interesting:

Well I can't paste at work. Basically when Nich is on he is off the charts and better than Barokov, but he is less consistent.

Jordan Staal, Skinner and Dwyer did the heavy lifting against the other team's top lines.  It also likely explains why Jokinen wasn't scoring.  Why so many people continue to believe Skinner wasn't in more of a defensive role last year compared to his first years is beyond me.

I've posted this at least 6 times now and people still don't get it.

Edited by coastal_caniac

It also shows how not having a decent third line center is hurting the team by putting more pressure on the second line to be so defensive.  Nash is okay, but I don't see him there long term.  He's okay defensively, but his offensive ceiling just isn't there, IMO.

Drafting a center won't be the end of the world if that's what it comes too.

.....  Why so many people continue to believe Skinner wasn't in more of a defensive role last year compared to his first years is beyond me.

I've posted this at least 6 times now and people still don't get it.

We'll it was more like Jordan and Dwyer (mostly) actually filling the role.  Not sure what Skinner was doing in that part of the game.  I wouldn't call it defense, but I guess he was in that role ;)

In his case the best defense is offense.

Which is exactly why moving Skinner to a line where he doesn't start in the defensive zone over half the time is accomplishing what a lot of people think is a bad move.  Forget the term "checking line" because I don't think Muller wants one.  He wants 3 scoring lines.

The Canes just couldn't fill the void left by Sutter when he was traded.  Bottom line.  It screwed everything up and then Ruutu has to have surgery, so we stuck Jokinen there.  That didn't work.

I look for more balanced lines next season, and with this #5 pick, well, who knows.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I'd like to give the idea of 3 scoring lines a chance, it never really happened this past year with unfortunate injuries. However in the long run the games been played a very long time and the 3rd line being a checking line seems to be a staple in the game these days.

Winning in the regular season is one thing, if we happen to make the playoffs are we really tough enough to beat any of these teams remaining? The hits are getting heavy and the refs are having indigestion from eating their whistles.

Why on earth would the Avs trade away the #1 overall (stud Seth Jones)  for the 5th overall and McBain?

Come on guys, that post would get laughed off the COL message board.

Think about it... IF WE had the #1 overall... would we trade it away for the 5th pick (a pick with risk) + McBain????  

(and in turn, let go one of the best draft picks to come down the road in 8-years),

Its going to take a lot more than that to get Seth Jones!

I didn't say that's what they would trade it for, just that's what we would likely offer. Please, for the sake of others, learn to read.

I'm trying to mentally prepare for when Tampa takes him, but I hope they go Drouin as the next St. Louis.

by him I mean Nichushkin

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Another mock draft has us taking Nich.

http://www.draftsite.com/mydraftsite/MrMomentum/nhl/mock-draft/2013/

I don't think the atypical deal Nich wants to make will hurt his stock with most teams. But Barkov is still a safer choice, so the mockers ALL have Nashville taking Barkov. (last 6 in a row).

On the scoring third line, it is something Muller covets. It is an interesting point that it is his system and having scoring punch from that third line is important to him and we SERIOUSLY did NOT have that last year.  :letssee: . Of course that line wasn't very physical either.

Seems like the prototypically best third liners are gritty and physical but can still put up a few points. Matt Cooke anyone? 

But IF you can create a credible second line and still have some scoring punch on the third line the other team will have match up problems. But we need to pick up a protypical third line forward or two (depending on whether Dalpe or Nash or Bowman can get it done).

Anyway, Muller definitely believes in third line scoring and it would be interesting to see his system if we had it.

The checking line role falling to the third line may be old school and established, but evidently Muller doesn't march to that drumbeat.  It's obvious from that player usage chart I posted.

Our second line was the "checking" line last year.  He sent J Staal, Dwyer, and Skinner over the boards against the other teams top lines.  It worked too, for a while when the team was relatively healthy.

Maybe we will get back to a traditional checking third line, but I just don't think that's the way Muller sees it.

This draft could open up all kinds of possible combinations up front, particularly if we can solidify the third line center position.

No doubt the third line is key for our system to work. Since bottom 6 was mentioned as one of our priorities we could use our draft pick to help solve the problem. I think it is more likely we will add third and fourth liners through trade or Free Agency but maybe not.

I read somewhere we maybe should consider trading up to the third or fourth spot to have a better chance at Nich. I'm not that keen for us to do that but if thats what we want it would be a way of getting him. Our 5th and McBain was mentioned as a possible scenario to accomplish that.

So the latest mock draft that has us taking Nich first is interesting because they go all seven rounds. Kind of nuts, but still..

They have us taking Justin Bailey with our second pick.

When I Google Justin Bailey I get:

"Justin Bailey is a term used to refer to the bikini swimsuit that Samus Aran wore during the endings of Metroid, Metroid II: Return of Samus, Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion."

So there's that. But on further digging I see that he was a teammate of our own Ryan Murphy on the Kitchner Rangers, and we do like picking them. 

He's a big winger, and while his numbers don't pop off the page, his highlight reel looks pretty good to me. What is really cool about his highlight reel is a few sweet plays Ryan Murphy has on someone else's highlight reel.

Here is the highlight reel:

Of note that mock draft has my boy Samuel Morin still available at 35 though I really doubt he will be.

Seems Dale Tallon has left the door open a crack in regards to Florida's 1st rounder.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/05/31/florida-panthers-gm-ready-to-deal-no-2-nhl-draft-pick--for-right-offer

“I enjoy this part where you get to play a little poker with the teams around you and see what they’re willing to pay,” Tallon said Friday at the league’s scouting combine near Pearson airport in Toronto.

“I’ve had a couple of minor conversations here and there (with teams asking) ‘are you going to move the pick?’ Well, make me an offer. That’s the way it goes. Start the process early and you work it all the way through until five minutes before, maybe a minute before you make your pick.”

So what do you all think?  Should JR package up his 1st with a 2nd or something in order to move up?  Getting Florida's pick might not cost an actual roster player since the 'Canes are picking 5th.

Just saying.

Seems Dale Tallon has left the door open a crack in regards to Florida's 1st rounder.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/05/31/florida-panthers-gm-ready-to-deal-no-2-nhl-draft-pick--for-right-offer

So what do you all think?  Should JR package up his 1st with a 2nd or something in order to move up?  Getting Florida's pick might not cost an actual roster player since the 'Canes are picking 5th.

Just saying.

I would take that trade in a heartbeat. We would certainly be in the drivers seat. Well the Avs would still be in the drivers seat but we would be riding shotgun. Florida might want a  player instead of the second round pick because other teams could drive the price up. If I was JR I sure would be pursuing it.

I really hope we don't trade our second round pick (#35) this year unless we are moving up to get one of the second tier d-men after taking our 5th pick.  That, or a trade for an established top-4 d-man.

There are still high end defensive prospects there and we need to stock the cupboard.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I would take that trade in a heartbeat. We would certainly be in the drivers seat. Well the Avs would still be in the drivers seat but we would be riding shotgun. Florida might want a  player instead of the second round pick because other teams could drive the price up. If I was JR I sure would be pursuing it.

Probably.  However, JR would essentially be offering a potential franchise guy plus another pick in a deep draft.  Unless someone else is willing to offer up one dang fine roster guy, Carolina's 1st will be pretty hard to trump.

Offering multiple players would be another possibility, but again, one of those players would have to be pretty damn good to get Tallon's attention.  When Quebec traded Eric Lindros, Philadelphia was forced to give up the rights to Peter Forsberg along with a bunch of other assets.  If he had it to do again, I doubt Bobby Clarke would.  I'm not sure anyone would be willing to take that risk in a salary cap NHL where franchise rebuilds take a painfully long time.

I really hope we don't trade our second round pick (#35) this year unless we are moving up to get one of the second tier d-men after taking our 5th pick.  That, or a trade for an established top-4 d-man.

There are still high end defensive prospects there and we need to stock the cupboard.

There are a few good veteran D-Men available as UFA's this off season.  I would tend to favour that option as we would benefit more from a guy who's good now rather than a guy might be good 4 years from now.

If Tallon is serious about moving his pick, then JR should seriously consider it.  A guy like Drouin or McKinnon  (or possibly Jones) is a once in a decade player.  Worth the risk in my opinion.

Probably.  However, JR would essentially be offering a potential franchise guy plus another pick in a deep draft.  Unless someone else is willing to offer up one dang fine roster guy, Carolina's 1st will be pretty hard to trump.

Offering multiple players would be another possibility, but again, one of those players would have to be pretty damn good to get Tallon's attention.  When Quebec traded Eric Lindros, Philadelphia was forced to give up the rights to Peter Forsberg along with a bunch of other assets.  If he had it to do again, I doubt Bobby Clarke would.  I'm not sure anyone would be willing to take that risk in a salary cap NHL where franchise rebuilds take a painfully long time.

I agree the 5th and our second round pick is a very good offer. Florida would get a very good 1st round pick and a nice second round pick in a deep draft.  We get a chance at a potential game changer in MacKinnon or maybe even Jones. I would rather trade our 5th and a player like McBain to shed some salary.  I wouldn't want to give away much more than those scenarios.

THW's Official Draft Guide is live on The Hockey Writers (it's all free, but very extensive content). Bookmark and check back often as this is a "live" article that is continually updated with new articles as our team of "prospect profilers" churn out articles on the draft and your favourite team's prospects. 

*New easy prospect finder: 2013 NHL Draft Prospect Index

What you'll find:

• Detailed unique prospect profiles in The Next Ones format
  • Mock Drafts (Memorial Cup Edition)
  • Exclusive rankings
  • Fantasy based rankings
  • Team Previews
  • Looking ahead to the 2014 draft and beyond
While the Canes would obviously have to move up, here's one of the most in depth profiles yet in The Next Ones series:

Our Western Conference "Dub" profiler Andy Eide alse has complete his profile on Popeye's son:

Read both and let us know who you'd take 1st - The Seth-Nate Debate.

Of course, I'm a tremendous supporter of Jonathan Drouin as well:
- Drouin: Maestro of the Halifax Mooseheads Orchestra

Coming soon to a NHL arena near you, conducting an ice symphony to the tune of blades on ice, composite sticks on rubber, rubber off iron and goal horns erupting in excitement – Jonathan Drouin.  

To get updated on all prospects and for an extensive online Draft Preview and for many of the potential ne Canes, keep tuned in:

I agree the 5th and our second round pick is a very good offer. Florida would get a very good 1st round pick and a nice second round pick in a deep draft.  We get a chance at a potential game changer in MacKinnon or maybe even Jones. I would rather trade our 5th and a player like McBain to shed some salary.  I wouldn't want to give away much more than those scenarios.

Your option does sound better, actually.  If Florida is willing to accept McBain (or something similar) + Carolina's 1st then that would allow JR to pick a D in the second round and free up cap space to sign someone like Jordan Leopold come July.

Come at it from both directions, get better now and stock up for the future.

Your option does sound better, actually.  If Florida is willing to accept McBain (or something similar) + Carolina's 1st then that would allow JR to pick a D in the second round and free up cap space to sign someone like Jordan Leopold come July.

Come at it from both directions, get better now and stock up for the future.

Of course the key is if Florida would except that.  If not we still have a nice pick at 5.

Pretty cool video of Nichushkin busting his butt at the combine is on the NHL Draft site under "combine highlights." At one point he looks like he is ready to pass out. Of course put a nose clip on me, a tube over my mouth, and make me pedal a bike as hard as I can and I would be in pretty bad shape too.

I really want this guy to be a Cane.

Edited by Kyrule