The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

I hope we dont trade up. There will be a great talent at number 5. I would want to only trade assets if we could get back into the 1st round.

Exactly how I feel. :thumbsup:

i'm starting to mentally prepare my for Tampa to tak Nich.  Although today was the 1st time i read reports on drouin and barkov.  i'd be happy with any of them

I really want Nichushkin, but I would also be really happy with Barkov. Good to see the article on him as well and to see some quotes. He thinks he may be a top 7 pick...more like top 4 or 5. Good to hear that he may play in the NHL next year, I thought I recently read that he was undecided/considering playing one more year in Finland. He has stated all along that he wants to come to the NHL "and win." The way he produced in the FEL is pretty much unheard of for a 16/17 year-old. It's pretty crazy when you think about a 17 year-old kid leading men, playing on the first line, and playing on the PP and PK.  I think Nich and Barkov have every chance of being as, if not more special than Drouin and Makinnon.

Edited by Kyrule

i'm starting to mentally prepare my for Tampa to tak Nich.  Although today was the 1st time i read reports on drouin and barkov.  i'd be happy with any of them

Even if he does go to Tampa, Nashville seems to really like barkov as he is perfect to play with Forsberg. Drouin to us would be great and i'd take that any day.

Hmmm, the video on TSN of the Combine, including interviews and physical challenges, are very interesting.

Not sure what it means, but I'm not impressed with Nichuskin's workout (Bench press reps, and how he stops on the cycle shortly after the guy "yells, go-go-go, one-minute left" and looked gassed even earlier.  However, put skates on the boy and watch the highlights and wow.

Was impressed with Monahan's interview.  Good stuff to watch overall.

Hmmm, the video on TSN of the Combine, including interviews and physical challenges, are very interesting.

Not sure what it means, but I'm not impressed with Nichuskin's workout (Bench press reps, and how he stops on the cycle shortly after the guy "yells, go-go-go, one-minute left" and looked gassed even earlier.  However, put skates on the boy and watch the highlights and wow.

Was impressed with Monahan's interview.  Good stuff to watch overall.

With an average of 10 min TOI all season and barely 12 min TOI during the playoffs, I'm not really surprised about his conditioning.

With an average of 10 min TOI all season and barely 12 min TOI during the playoffs, I'm not really surprised about his conditioning.

Me either.  I'm just the kinda guy who would collapse off the machine before quitting.  Don't like seeing a tapout.

Do not trade up. At least not in round one.

See my link back a few pages for the historical cost of moving up or down. Oh heck here it is again:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up

Moving to #2 should cost us 20 points. That should be our second and third round and fourth picks plus. So on paper it is a good deal if it's just our second. And MacKinnon or Jones would be tempting. These guys are simply all world prospects. But if it's MacKinnon, which is likely, we have a real log jam problem at center, but the main thing is that this is a year where that #35 pick could be a very good player. (BTW the historical value of our #35 pick would be to move to #3). Oddly if we could get to #3 that would probably be Drouin. Removes the center log jam issue. Gives us another ticket seller. But I just do not want to part w/ our second pick for the difference of Nich to Drouin. Not this year.

This draft is different. In a typical draft there are areas of significant drop-off that fall higher than this year. IMHO the first drop off is the top 3, but really the first significant drop off is out of the top 5. IF Nich was staying in Russia for two years, I'd be all for trading up or down because we'd be out of the sweet spot. But as it is, we are still in the sweet spot. 

This draft is also different in depth. Our #35 pick has the potential to be as good as previous year's mid-first rounders. And we have needs not likely met by our 1st pick. If we move up and take MacKinnon, our defensive needs are unmet. Sure we can add some mid range free agents, but we need to develop at least one more blue chip dman from within. I don't want to give up that second pick. Usually a second rounder makes a decent career about 1/4 times. Not this year's draft.

I actually like Coastal's idea. Move up yes, but do it with our second pick. Get a big, high upside dman. Cough: Samuel Morin. Cough.

Moving up around 4-5 places with our second rounder should cost us our third rounder. If the right dman (Morin) were there 5 up but might be gone at 35, that move I'd make.

Edited by remkin

Hey at least he is even doing the workouts. Drouin said he was going to and backed out. Jones skipped as well. MacKinnon, who played as many games as those two, including Memorial Cup games, worked out. edit: never mind, MacKinnon skipped as well, TSN just singled out Jones and Drouin for some reason. edit edit: in Nichushkins interview on TSN's Combine Special, he says he's never done the bike workout, and the one you're talking bout is probably the VO2 test which is always the hardest in the whole combine.

You know what would be awesome? If a team traded for a second first round pick, say Florida at second overall gets Tampas third or Avs first or something, and they draft MacKinnon and Drouin. Talk about instant relevancy.

and just to share, per Spector, the Avs are shopping their first overall actively trying to find a too good to refuse offer, and the Panthers are listening to offers for their second overall but less actively and more just to see what's out there, while the Oilers have announced their seventh overall pick is up for grabs.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Not sure what it means, but I'm not impressed with Nichuskin's workout (Bench press reps, and how he stops on the cycle shortly after the guy "yells, go-go-go, one-minute left" and looked gassed even earlier. However, put skates on the boy and watch the highlights and wow.

Was impressed with Monahan's interview. Good stuff to watch overall.

Not sure if you read the recent article, but Nichushkin is staying in North America over the summer and is staying at Power Train Sports Institute in Manheim, PA.. It is a facility/group that prepares many college football prospects for their NFL combine. It looks like he is taking conditioning seriously, at least I hope he is.

As for Monahan, I said awhile back this kid will shine during the interview process and will likely end up being a team captain down the line.

Edited by Kyrule

i cant see this team passing on a defensman.

JR already stated we are likely going to take a forward who can play next year. Our need is obviously on defense but I think JR wants to add veterans through FA/trade. None of the defensemen are worthy of a #5 pick outside of Jones. At least not in my opinion. The forwards available at #5 will be too talented/have too much potential to pass up. That is why all of the talk around here is about forwards.

No link, but Darren Dreger of Hockey Night in Canada is reporting that Colorado won't consider dropping lower than 3rd overall even if they do trade their pick.

Just saw it live on the Pens/Bruins broadcast.

Edited by ScottTenorman

No link, but Darren Dreger of Hockey Night in Canada is reporting that Colorado won't consider dropping lower than 3rd overall even if they do trade their pick.

Just saw it live on the Pens/Bruins broadcast.

No doubt their thinking that the super-elite are Jones/MacKinnon/Drouin. Land one of those and get more from another team....nice.

After reading a ton of draft stuff, I'd say that JR has just about the easiest go of it at the top of the draft. Those top 5 picks are assuredly going to be Jones and the 4 forwards. JR just hangs around and takes whoever falls to him or somebody offers him a deal he can't refuse. My initial thought was that he needed to go D and take Nurse, but it seems like the potential of one of those forwards is too much to pass on. Coastal has a good thought about maybe trading into the latter part of the 1st round to address D.

If Nish is still there at 5.  JR will have a real tough time to deciding whether to take him or trade the pick away.  He may have a lot of interest.

If Nish is still there at 5.  JR will have a real tough time to deciding whether to take him or trade the pick away.  He may have a lot of interest.

hopefully some team in 6-8 spot will want that last forward and will pay for that spot. 

JR will certainly get offers for the 5th pick, if he hasn't already.

It's nice for once to hold the cards.

Don't screw this up JR.

Could we get a top-4 roster-ready defenseman on a ELC and get in range of Nurse, Ristolainen, Zadarov? 

Edited by coastal_caniac

it should be real simple, take Nich. Now you have a strength to deal from (forward depth). Why do you think Pittsburgh has so many assets? They draft their picks and build strengths deep within the organization. We are very sadly shallow in all facets of the game. Forwards, defense, goaltending. This is why JR is scrambling trying to build a cup team and throwing money at people, because once our current roster ages too much we'll be the next Calgary. This pick can help insure that won't happen. That's also why I don't want Skinner Traded. Aside from him and Faulk our young guys are all busts so far.

Could we get a top-4 roster-ready defenseman on a ELC and get in range of Nurse, Ristolainen, Zadarov? 

This is where JR could really make some hay.

Some notes from recent articles on Bleacher report:

Under "best and worst case scenarios for the Tampa Bay Lightning in the upcoming draft" they talked about drafting Nichushkin and keeping him (winner), and drafting him and losing him to the KHL (loser). I really don't see Nich going to KHL at this point. They also talked about taking Drouin as a safer pick.

Under winners and losers after the combine, Nichushkin was listed as a winner because he participated in all the testing, did interviews, spoke to the GM's, etc.. This was seen as more of an indication to his commitment to playing in NHL next year.

One quoted tweet said "lots of buzz surrounding Nichushkin, scout says could easily go #1 overall. Trade talks starting..."

Post combine mock draft article looked like this:

1. MacKinnon

2. Jones

3. Drouin

4. Barkov

5. Nichushkin

He talked about the Canes having forward depth (I am assuming he means top six forwards), and that they could afford any risk that goes along with Nichushkin. Again, I just can't see Nich not playing in NHL next year. The article also mentioned that Nichushkin can be as good or better than MacKinnon, he just needs to be more consistent.

Edited by Kyrule

Sucka i understand the issue with trading skinner. JR has dug himself into a hole that he may be able to get out of without trading a top 6 guy. He has way overpaid for both staals, skins(in the short term), and ruutu. He slightly overpaid for pits(only because he cant stay healthy), gleason, and semin.

Who in that bunch is tradeable? After next season we have to re-sign faulk and tlusty. Tlusty could be another 5 mil forward if his play continues. We already 44 million in cap money committed to only 9 players for 14-15. Staal, Staal, Semin, Skins, Gleason, Ward, Ruutu, Dwyer, Harrison. That leaves JR about 20 mil to get faulk and tlusty re-signed and get/re-sign/call up 1 goalie, 4 dmen, and 5 forwards. The money runs out quickly especially when you can figure tlusty and faulk are going to cost 9 mil to re-sign.

Skins has value now and it will hurt us in the long run to trade him. Does JR really have a choice though? I dont think he does.

Some notes from recent articles on Bleacher report:

One quoted tweet said "lots of buzz surrounding Nichushkin, scout says could easily go #1 overall. Trade talks starting..."

Post combine mock draft article looked like this:

1. MacKinnon

2. Jones

3. Drouin

4. Barkov

5. Nichushkin

He talked about the Canes having forward depth (I am assuming he means top six forwards), and that they could afford any risk that goes along with Nichushkin. Again, I just can't see Nich not playing in NHL next year. The article also mentioned that Nichushkin can be as good or better than MacKinnon, he just needs to be more consistent.

The idea of Nich going #1 is an interesting twist. 

The thing is that from what I'm seeing Nich has just incredible upside. The main knock other than being in the KHL is lack of consistency. But he sure is showing an interest and willingness to work and improve from what little I can see. And we do have forward depth at the top. We have 7 top 6 forwards. From that point of view we can wait, but....

There is zero chance that Nich isn't playing in the NHL next year. (ok it's never really zero, but practically). Many elite level players play right away in the NHL. Nich is playing against men right now. 

Just for a second project Nich as an All Star superstar.

Semin/E./Tlusty

Nich/J./Skinner

are you kidding me? That second line could seriously be one of the best first lines in hockey.

How do you stop that? 

Who needs defense?..............I keed, I keeed. 

This is why #5 is good. So glad we didn't win one more meaningless game. All good choices. Just sit back and let it come to us.

The idea of Nich going #1 is an interesting twist. 

The thing is that from what I'm seeing Nich has just incredible upside. The main knock other than being in the KHL is lack of consistency. But he sure is showing an interest and willingness to work and improve from what little I can see. And we do have forward depth at the top. We have 7 top 6 forwards. From that point of view we can wait, but....

There is zero chance that Nich isn't playing in the NHL next year. (ok it's never really zero, but practically). Many elite level players play right away in the NHL. Nich is playing against men right now. 

Just for a second project Nich as an All Star superstar.

Semin/E./Tlusty

Nich/J./Skinner

are you kidding me? That second line could seriously be one of the best first lines in hockey.

How do you stop that? 

Who needs defense?..............I keed, I keeed. 

This is why #5 is good. So glad we didn't win one more meaningless game. All good choices. Just sit back and let it come to us.

Maybe it would be a very good 2nd line if Skinner was 3rd line center. He's just to hard to play with, have chemistry with. He's a pretty good individual player but hasn't shown he can see offensive options other than himself.

Maybe it would be a very good 2nd line if Skinner was 3rd line center. He's just to hard to play with, have chemistry with. He's a pretty good individual player but hasn't shown he can see offensive options other than himself.

I think that Skinner was showing signs of improving that aspect of his game before the concussion, and personally I think he will continue to improve that.

But,

Ruutu/J./Nich would be pretty darned good too.

It is indeed a weird idea to put a potential 40 goal scorer on the third line, but find the right pieces to play with Skinner there... maybe it could work...put a couple of decent prototypical upper end third line wingers maybe? In theory at least it would be a tough match up task to have to deal with two lines like that and then have an elite talent like Skinner rolling out on the third line.

What team currently has the most offensively gifted third liner or third line winger? Probably was Pittsburgh w/ J. there. How about now?

Edited by remkin