The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

I see a lot of E. Cole in his game (true power forward) but the pass he makes about 1:45 into the video really shows great hands, great balance and insane vision.  He's gonna be a steal at 5 if there. 

I was thinking the same thing. Does he have a counter to the power move around the outside? Yes. 

The only question I have is will someone higher than us poach him.

NHL.com's guys just did another mock draft.

2/3 have us taking Nich, and one has us taking Nurse. He says Nurse may be NHL ready.

There are two recent mock drafts having us take Nurse. 

What is interesting is the huge variability with the rankings of some guys after the top 5. One guy (Moreale) has Ristoleinen #7, then the next guy has him #20. 

Looking at that list of FA defenseman and looking at how badly we need defense. I just wonder.....

Even if we take Nich, do we just have to make a big trade to get that dman? I think we probably do. But how big? Skinner big?

Edited by remkin

We wont draft a defenseman with the number 5 pick.  Period.  Write it down, take a picture...  Any mock-draft guru who says we will doesn't know anything about JR, the team or the franchise... they are just filling a gap in their mock draft with what they think is logical.

Not to spam these but three more mock drafts up (Hockey Utopia, Sports Kings, and DefendingBigD).

All of them have us taking Nichushkin (I hope they are right...or Barkov).

I just don't see us trading down...unless someone overpays. Of course it only takes one GM to fall in love with the 5th guy available...

If I was JR...I would hold out for a top 4 defensive D-man(overpayment), & their 1st round pick, or just pick the person in the top 5 that falls to us.

If we are to trade back It should be for higher value than what trading back from 5th spot usually is like. I mean there is an obvious drop off after the top 5 in skill so we should try to get something good out of trading back if that's the case.

Man, im excited for this draft, the more i hear u guys  talk...  plus the  hawks-bruins ready to drop puck..

More fun w/ mock drafts for our pick:

Roto World:                Zadarov

Fansided:                   Monahan

NHL on the Ice:          Zadarov

Last Word on Sports: Nichushkin

Suddenly two have us taking Zadarov.

Four new mock drafts. I'll just put up who came up with the mock draft and who they have us taking.

Rotoworld: Zadarov

Fansided: Monahan

NHL on the ice: Zadarov

Last word on sports: Nichushkin

Wow, two Zadarov picks is certainly new...but not going to happen.

------------------------------------------------------------------

You are too quick Remkin, I yield!

Actually it is pretty creepy how we even had the same format and general comment.

:D

Edited by Kyrule

Am I seeing double? :P

I'd like Zadarov, but not at fifth overall O_O

Maybe we trade McBain+ for a later first rounder to draft a Pulock or Zadarov or Morin. I'm hoping some nice defenseman is taken with our 35th, unless there's a great third line center material guy there with size like when Colorado took Duchene and then Ryan O'Reilly with their early second rounder (both made the roster the following season).

If we get a guy who can work his tail off and make the roster despite going in the second round, we can save a lot of money, money we can use on veteran guys for the third line. Or a legit fourth line, like Boston's Merlot line this year. They are a key piece to that team.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

To me, all of this seems obvious.  JR wants the best player available (and he should), so he is going to take the remaining forward...  If there were piles of money in front of you, you would take the biggest pile.  You can always trade your pile of money for something worth as much as the pile, so you want the biggest pile you can get.

If for some reason someone has serious man-love for this remaining forward, JR will of course take equal or better value for him in a trade.  See Rem's detailed value formulae for where to trade down to and what assets it would take.  I don't see this likely, but it's possible.

Assuming that doesn't happen, then we have another talented forward, on a team that is at this point forward-heavy and d-weak.  So we trade for 2 reasons.  1, we will have salary cap issues holding onto all these forwards down the road, and 2, there is no way to get a top 4 (or preferably top 2) dman without giving up a serious talent.

Someone already went over all of the forwards, and that most likely forward is Skinner.  So a lot of people are saying they will be upset if we trade Skinner, but there is no other way, other than waiting for a serious mistake by some other GM.  And it just isn't likely. 

We wanted JStaal and Sutter both, but it couldn't happen.  You gotta give, to get.  So we had better get used to the idea that we are going to give away something we don't want to.

I am sick of the golfing in week 2 of April.  I'd rather see someone important get traded away, we make the playoffs, than polish my pretty forward bobbleheads and watch 16 other teams battle it out with their hulking DMen and solid play.  Had enough of that already.

NHL on XM was talking to an Oilers expert (tuned into the middle of it, so not sure who it was). 

Asked about their draft pick he said that he does not see them staying at 7 and the most likely thing was to trade up to 4 or 5.

The only thing is that he thought they want Barkov (so I'm thinking 5 might not get it done). 

Do the Oil have a dman we might want that could be involved in a deal?

To move from 7 to 5 should cost 6 points. Their #37 pick is worth 10 points. So based on historical norms, we'd be getting a good deal. But somehow I think the drop off after Barkov/Nich might raise the price even more.

In general though, collecting picks in this draft, including early second rounders could really pay off nicely in a couple of years.

Edited by remkin

I've made my points so I guess this is the last time I'll say trading our fifth overall would be a huge mistake unless it's an overpayment. We have potential to get the next Malkin in winger form. Okay, I'm done, sorry for the repetition.  :couch:

You know I actually agree with you. The guy is just too good to pass on. 

But I think we are talking overpayment options. 

If a team would give us what we really need and we could still get say a Monahan or Nurse....

It is just so frustrating because we really do need to upgrade our defense.

NHL on XM was talking to an Oilers expert (tuned into the middle of it, so not sure who it was).

Asked about their draft pick he said that he does not see them staying at 7 and the most likely thing was to trade up to 4 or 5.

Do the Oil have a dman we might want that could be involved in a deal?

The Oilers desperately need the same thing we do, defensive defensemen. They are loaded with young talent up front and they have some offensive d-men, but they need some shutdown type players. That's why I don't see a trade with Edmonton working in any way. The Oilers are young and to me their strategy should be obvious, draft Nurse/Ristolainen/Zadarov. They have time to let a defenseman develop, we don't (IMO when you look at the age of our top players).

Edited by Kyrule

I will be so upset if we dont take Nichushkin.

Fast forward to 5:34 in this video and watch who he absolutely embarasses...Ryan Murphy

Draft Preview -Michael Smith   Tracking the Storm

[Rutherford] If we had the chance to get something that helps our team immediately and not move [down] too many picks, we would at least have to have a pretty in-depth conversation about that within hockey operations,” he said. “I wouldn’t trade the pick outright and wouldn’t drop too many spots, but I’m not going to say I wouldn’t do it at all.

So as unlikely as it is we trade down there is a real possibility. I think this draft will keep us Canes fans on the edge of our seat. lol

I think it is interesting that Lindholm’s name keeps being mentioned. The article on the front page mentions Barkov, Nichushkin, and Lindholm as potential picks. I agree that he should be in the 6 spot, but we have the 5th pick. I wonder if one of the big three is not on our list. Maybe Drouin because of his size? Maybe Jones because he is overrated? I was just watching Jones get burned by Nichushkin in one of the videos posted above. He got torched by MacKinnon. I am not sold on him as the best player in this draft. I am glad he will be gone before we pick.

Edited by cclifford10

Ladislav Smid...6'3", 226 lbs, 116 blocked shots in 48 games last year.   

He recently extended with the Oilers. They are trying to find others like him, not move him along.

He recently extended with the Oilers. They are trying to find others like him, not move him along.

Yes, but if there is a D-Man on that team we want, Smid is the guy. 

Gare Joyce, Sportsnet, says JR is not going to take Nich. I saw this on My NHL Trade Rumors.com discussing the Flames attempt(s) at moving up in the draft. He makes more points in the comments section of the article, like JR doesn't want a group of Russians (ie: more than one!).

"Sean Monahan would be the Flames fallback with the 6th selection. Could look to Nashville at No. 4 to get Aleksander Barkov. The Flames don’t have ’that’ player of established value to make the deal. The Hurricanes could be the wildcard as they are not taking Valeri Nichushkin. They might take Barkov if he’s there. They are looking for immediate help."

Thought/hoped JR lost his prejudices last year...maybe not.

Edited by Bill_B