The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

I think the AV's are just shaking the Florida tree to see if a coconut falls out. The Panthers are reported to want Mackinnon really bad. If so one scenario I read has the AVs trading down one spot getting some value and still picking Jones at the 2nd pick. I just can't believe Jones falls to five but with Nashville needing offense it could happen.

It Jones were at 5 you can't pass him up.

I would take Lindholm.  He does everything well and he can play in any roll. 

Jones is considered the all world, NHL ready, stud dman that is so good he might go ahead of such studs as MacKinnon and Drouin. The kind of dman that can carry a franchise for 15 years. And we need defense. Pass on him at 5? Really?

If Jones is there, I don't see any way we pass on him. Yes, if he somehow falls to fifth, that'll most likely mean all four elite forwards are gone too so you aren't passing up on Nichushkin or Drouin. And it just became actually possible he falls to us. Although, you'd think Tampa would really want him as well, being defense and goaltending is there problem. Nashville doesn't need a top dman, Florida wants offense, and so does Colorado apparently.

Col: MacKinnon or Barkov

Fla: Barkov or MacKinnon or Drouin

TB: Jones or Drouin or Nichushkin

Nash: Barkov or Drouin

Carolina: Nichushkin or Jones

Jones being there at 5 would definitely increase the value of that pick in a trade. Maybe the 8th and 16th from Buffalo wouldn't seem like such an overpayment?  Then we could take the deefenseman I think we need 8th and add a solid forward 16th.

8.  Ristolainen

From Adam French:

Rasmus Ristolainen : The 6’3 tough defenseman played heavy minutes for TPS in the SM-liiga and showed that even at 18 he can compete against men…an unusual task for a defenseman of his age in Europe. He dominated, and I don’t use that word lightly, the WJC’s playing in all situations and anchoring the Finnish defense with Islanders prospect Ville Pokka. He hits, he moves the puck well, he shoots hard and quick and he can make crisp passes, he does it all, which is why he is mostly regarded as the second best defender in this draft. He can be prone to making some blunder breakout passes, but he’s young and that happens even to the best players. He also has been known to step over the line in clearing the front of the net and forgets that 7 crosschecks are 6 too many. Size with mobility is heavily prized in today’s NHL and he has the potential to be a top-pairing defenseman. He is committed to staying in TPS for one more season at least so he’ll have an extra year to develop. I feel that the two elite players from Finland are being heavily glossed over by everybody, Ristolainen and Barkov have been dominant both at home and abroad at both ends of the ice, yet neither have gotten the respect they deserve. I understand that Nurse is the new hotness, but why hasn’t anybody talked about a PPG, big hitting 6’3 dynamic WJC defenseman? Well because the Finns were barely broadcasted so nobody got to see them and if you did you usually watched it in Russian.

16.  Anthony Mantha

50 Goals!!!!

Jones being there at 5 would definitely increase the value of that pick in a trade. Maybe the 8th and 16th from Buffalo wouldn't seem like such an overpayment?  Then we could take the deefenseman I think we need 8th and add a solid forward 16th.

8.  Ristolainen

From Adam French:

Rasmus Ristolainen : The 6’3 tough defenseman played heavy minutes for TPS in the SM-liiga and showed that even at 18 he can compete against men…an unusual task for a defenseman of his age in Europe. He dominated, and I don’t use that word lightly, the WJC’s playing in all situations and anchoring the Finnish defense with Islanders prospect Ville Pokka. He hits, he moves the puck well, he shoots hard and quick and he can make crisp passes, he does it all, which is why he is mostly regarded as the second best defender in this draft. He can be prone to making some blunder breakout passes, but he’s young and that happens even to the best players. He also has been known to step over the line in clearing the front of the net and forgets that 7 crosschecks are 6 too many. Size with mobility is heavily prized in today’s NHL and he has the potential to be a top-pairing defenseman. He is committed to staying in TPS for one more season at least so he’ll have an extra year to develop. I feel that the two elite players from Finland are being heavily glossed over by everybody, Ristolainen and Barkov have been dominant both at home and abroad at both ends of the ice, yet neither have gotten the respect they deserve. I understand that Nurse is the new hotness, but why hasn’t anybody talked about a PPG, big hitting 6’3 dynamic WJC defenseman? Well because the Finns were barely broadcasted so nobody got to see them and if you did you usually watched it in Russian.

16.  Anthony Mantha

50 Goals!!!!

Why on God's green Earth would JR trade down at fifth overall if Jones was available?  :dizzy: And to get a defenseman? Do you realize what you're saying? Jones has bust potential, as any prospect does, but he is the best defenseman in this draft. You're suggesting not only passing on him but trading down to get a lesser defenseman and a mid round pick. What? :twilight-zone:

i don't think the canes are going to be trading up or down this year and that they are comfortable as to  where they are .  and it has been said before it is possible that a player can be a bust  . a lot of hype can happen towards a player  and sloppy plays from that player can cost teams  some losses  , and im sure jr is measuring the differences based around whats best for the team versus what the fans ultimately want . 

i know i have expressed myself more than once here on how much i want to see the canes draft nichushkin and some have mentioned they would like to bring in nurse .  as in terms what fits best for the teams needs vs whats best overall can be shared in viewpoints that people may find themselves at odds with or even in disagreement .  i know for one that as a collective we are all on the same page and that is for the canes to win games and to win another cup sooner than later .  

what ever the case may be .  we can all agree who ever the canes draft this year we will hope he becomes a super star in the nhl !!!

Greg N Raleigh's  Remkin's new poll has been added and everyone's old votes wiped clean so they can start fresh and vote again.   Hope this fixes it for everyone.

Edited by TSA

Why on God's green Earth would JR trade down at fifth overall if Jones was available?  :dizzy: And to get a defenseman? Do you realize what you're saying? Jones has bust potential, as any prospect does, but he is the best defenseman in this draft. You're suggesting not only passing on him but trading down to get a lesser defenseman and a mid round pick. What? :twilight-zone:

He SHOULD trade down in that situation to draft the best two-way defenseman in the draft!  A defenseman that has a reputation for being too aggressive clearing the crease!  A defenseman that is exactly what the Canes need!  And get an additional pick in a stacked draft where a 6'4" winger may be available who just came off a 50 goal season!  50 goals!  I don't think Jones will be there at 5 anyway because his marketing campaign has been phenomenal, but if he is, we should try and trade down and pick up additional assets.  Jones is an offensive defenseman that plays good defense.  He is not the generational talent that people are calling him.  Go back and watch the Nichushkin highlights that were posted earlier.  How many times does he blow right past Jones or right through him?  Go back and watch the Memorial Cup highlights.  How bad does he look against MacKinnon and Drouin?  Ristolainen is an excellent defensive defenseman that plays good offense.  He already has two seasons playing defense in a good men’s league.  He can and will clear the crease against grown men.  Jones isn’t great at clearing the crease against guys that are far smaller than he will face at the next level. 

Jones is over rrated. if he is still available at 5 trade down. We don't need to build for the future we need to build to win because this is the most talented team that we have had in a very long time. We have never had a winger like Semin on this team before....EVER. Defense men take so long to develop too. The ones that don't are rare. But more times than not. I'de rather have a veteran blue liner. It's what this team needs.

Edited by bluedevil58

I can't imagine Jones still being on the table at #5 but if he is we have to take him. I think this kid is the real deal.

The poll is tough because of the “if available” players.  My first choice on the list would be Barkov.  He put up silly numbers playing in a men's league as a teenager.  He is the most proven player in the draft.  If he is gone, I think I would say Nichushkin.  He hasn’t really done much, but he has looked great doing it!  He just has too much potential to pass up! After that, I think I would look to trade down, but only if the return was pretty good.  I think both Buffalo picks would be worth it for sure.  I think we would still get an NHL ready player at 8 and a good prospect at 16. 

I just have a feeling that the draft is going to unfold as neatly as the mocks seem to indicate.  I think we are going to have a surprise available at 5.  I have no idea who that surprise may be, but I can just hope that it is Drouin! 

The thing is if we want to win now, which I suspect there is 100% agreement on, then we need to shore up the defense somehow. I know that there are some who think we just caught some bad breaks and everything is fine back there, but I believe that is wrong. Injuries happen every year and teams have to deep enough that some injuries don't lead to a massive losing streak without a single win.

We've been at the bottom of the league in defense for too long and it has shown up in missing the playoffs along with every single other weak-defensed team. You don't have to be Boston, but you can't be Carolina. At least need middle of the pack defense.

Jones is ready. But we're not going to get him. Are we? That would be a huge story...

If we get Barokov or Nich we will be set up front for a long time. But winning now HAS to involve some upgrade on the back somehow. The FA market does not look game changing. 

This is why I am so dang ambivalent. I love offense and guys like Nich, Barkov, Drouin and McKinnon usually only come to those who finish last. So you gotta get em.

Also, more top pick Dmen are busts than top forwards. Just harder to gauge them.  I'll give the Jones detractors that. So pick Nich or Barkov...

But then how do you fix the defense? 

Also, the idea of getting two picks in this deepest of drafts IS appealing. Especially if one is an NHL ready dman like Risto. I'm not saying to do it, but getting two first rounders and an early second rounder in a draft this deep could restock the cubbords with grade A prospects instantly. Then if we're really good for a while and pick late, we're still good. 

The best option is probably for someone to overpay to move up a few notches. To win this year that might have to include an actual NHL defenseman we really want. 

So I'm still thinking we give up a bit extra: our second, a player or two, and get a known NHL dman, plus the new later pick. Sure it will smart a bit not getting the world beater, but instant reliable defensive help and still a darned good pick is the best way to win now. 

I don't think clifford's suggestion is crazy at all.  I might not agree with it but it's certainly something I'm sure the Canes are contemplating.

Oh, and I thought that was Rem's poll?

Edited by coastal_caniac

Oh, and I thought that was Rem's poll?

I don't know who the creator is but I got the email request from Greg to see if I could change the poll.

Off topic a little, its pretty amazing that we a thread discussing one possible first round draft pick now up to 48 pages. 

I don't know who the creator is but I got the email request from Greg to see if I could change the poll.

Off topic a little, its pretty amazing that we a thread discussing one possible first round draft pick now up to 48 pages.

The history of the poll.

Started by me as a separate thread. Was then merged w/ my blessing onto Greg's thread, after which I lost control of it.

Recently it seemed that everyone basically had voted based on our thoughts several weeks ago. Nich won handily with a bit of a Nurse contingency out there also.

Since the thing had played out, I thought it might be interesting to see where people stood now. So asked Greg to re do the poll. And he asked TSA.

Personally, I'm just interested in seeing where people stand now that we know Nich is coming stateside, and the idea of trading down is on the table.

So I see that the history of this poll is less fascinating than a hockey puck, but there it is.

(Early voting is showing much more love than Barkov got in my original poll).

One other twist that might be interesting. Simplify to this:

Should the Canes:

1. Trade down for NHL dman and pick #8-10, lose second rounder, plus prospect.

2. Trade down for two/three first round picks.

3. Keep #5 and take the best player available period.

4. Keep #5 unless the deal is one sided on paper to our advantage.

These polls can be tricky because there are so many variables.

Also, I'm split on it myself so how do I vote? (I voted for Barkov. but trading down could reap a bundle).

Edited by remkin

People make good arguments for other options, but if Barkov is there, you take him.

I agree completely!  Barkov, Drouin, MacKinnon are the can't miss players in this draft. 

Carolina's "war room" draft thoughts/needs posted yesterday

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-draft-war-room-carolina-hurricanes/.

This article dismisses Lindholm because he would have to be converted to wing.  I know many draft sites have him listed as a center, but he actually played more wing last season.  He would be a very solid target for us, at 5 if management is scared of Nichushkin and the typical top four are all off the board, or especially if we trade down a bit.  I would put him ahead of Monohan because he is less risky having already played in a men's league.  His SEL season last year is very impressive!

From the hockey writers piece:

Nichushkin did not have a great Combine and failed to impress many scouts during the interview process.

I tell you if Barkov is gone and JR is not sold on Nich, then trading down looks even tastier.

The history of the poll.

Started by me as a separate thread. Was then merged w/ my blessing onto Greg's thread, after which I lost control of it.

Recently it seemed that everyone basically had voted based on our thoughts several weeks ago. Nich won handily with a bit of a Nurse contingency out there also.

Since the thing had played out, I thought it might be interesting to see where people stood now. So asked Greg to re do the poll. And he asked TSA.

Personally, I'm just interested in seeing where people stand now that we know Nich is coming stateside, and the idea of trading down is on the table.

So I see that the history of this poll is less fascinating than a hockey puck, but there it is.

(Early voting is showing much more love than Barkov got in my original poll).

Thanks for the summary, now I get it.  Sorry about losing the first poll but I had to delete it to be able to add the new poll and allow people to vote again.

As a total guess, I think JR is scared poopless about the prospect of Nich being the guy left at 5.  He is not going to want to take the Russian, especially after I read that Nich did poorly in his interviews.  The "Russian factor" does make a difference, and I really think it does to JR. Somebody may make an offer he can't refuse and he makes a trade before the draft, but I really think it gets to the draft and it will really matter who is left at 5.  I can see him trying to move down a slot or two to get away from Nich and pick up another pick somewhere.  McKinnon and Jones will surely be gone. 

One of Drouin, Barkov, and Nich will be there for JR.  If it's Nich, and JR ends up making the pick, it will not surprise me if he took Monahan or one of the d-men (Nurse, Ristolainen, or Zadorov).  Buffalo's two picks would be great, but as deep as this draft is, I don't think they give up the #16 to move up 3 slots.  I have even seen mock drafts (and I mock some of them) with Nich falling as low as the #8 spot.  Those 3 defensemen all have the size to be what the Canes severly lack.

This thread is hilarious. Everyone loves a guy, then one person shares their opinion on them or quotes something some guy wrote and then you see it spread and suddenly everyone's talking a guy down who they were praising just a few days earlier. I can't really take this thread that seriously anymore.

The fans all want a top pairing stud dman, so when one could potentially be available via draft with no trades involved, people suggest trading down to draft a less skilled guy who plays the same position. One who won't be in the league next season, either. It just boggles my mind, and still haven't really heard the reasoning behind this besides "Jones is overrated", which may be true. But it doesn't justify passing on him to draft someone with less praise and certainly less skill. And a quick tip, being overrated doesn't equate being bad.

Now since some 'hockey writer' who was never named and actually apparently is an NHL scout (still never named) claims Nichushkin interviewed poorly and was a little uncomfortable with the setting of the interviews. Uh, the kids Russian. He doesn't speak English and talked and listened through a translator. Of course you're not going to have the best interviews. Now you all are bringing up the Russian Factor, which is when a Russian is drafted by the NHL but refuses to sign with team and bolts back to Russia. It's quite clear Nichushkin is not going back to Russia as long as he plays in the NHL. He plays a style and has the size, speed, and strength that spells success in the NHL. So where's the sound reasoning that his nationality will make him a risk pick? If we draft him he signs with us, that simple. Especially with Semin on our roster. 

Whatever happens, happens. But I'm sorta getting tired of all this unfounded anxiety over Nichushkin, I really truly don't understand anyone's logic behind skipping Jones if by some miracle he falls to us, and I find it funny some of you take an unnamed NHL scout's opinion on how he interviewed and completely change your own previous opinion on the kid.

Ok, my book post is done. Thank God it's only ten more days.