The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

im rooting for the  best  stud  d-man, that can step into top 4, you guys are the  experts... who do u take??? I think analization leads to paralazation.. ok, suprise, i think i mispelled, i wish i had spell check on this ancient computer:)

Is this the same as that done by the combined analyst and therapist of one Tobias Fuquay? (Arrested Development).

Edited by remkin

You guys are absolutely insane if you think Rutherford should pass on Jones at #5.

It really doesn't matter because he won't be there. But seriously. You're crazy.

Once again, fully agree with you TF!!

Cane's website write up of Lindholm pretty lofty. Lists him as the most likely to surprise into the top 5. Hmmmm.

Few if any mock drafts have Lindholm that high, but Monahan is. 

Still, Lindholm has been seen at #6 and back in February he was the consensus #5 pick for a while.

Edited by remkin

Is this the same as that done by the combined analyst and therapist of one Tobias Fuquay? (Arrested Development).

LOL ... nevernude.

Cane's website write up of Lindholm pretty lofty. Lists him as the most likely to surprise into the top 5. Hmmmm.

Few if any mock drafts have Lindholm that high, but Monahan is.

Still, Lindholm has been seen at #6 and back in February he was the consensus #5 pick for a while.

Lindholm and Monahan have been two of the most consistently ranked players in the draft. Early on they were as high as #4 and #5 (before the meteoric rise of Drouin and Nichushkin). Since then they have settled in the #5 to #8 range. Lindholm or Monahan being ranked higher than one another varies greatly, obviously they are seen as very comparable players with both being complete players with a high hockey IQ. I have a slight preference for Lindholm because of his skating, high-motor, and perceived higher offensive ceiling. Still, I like Monahan's character and size so I would be happy with either. I think there is a real good chance that we take one of these two if we stay at #5. I think they are who management really wants (given how things will likely play out), so a scenario where we trade down a spot or two is possible...but unlikely.

Also, 6 more mock drafts up:

3 have us taking Nichushkin

2 have us taking Barkov

1 has us taking Monahan

Still think there is no way we get Barkov. Some recent comments from draft threads are suggesting that Colorado is interested in Barkov, and that he may go #1 overall. I'm not so sure, but it is possible. The draft just gets more interesting as time goes on.

Oh, and I believe Sakic again said that Colorodo will pick one of the top three forwards, and he cited letting the fans know where the organization stands and what they were thinking as the reason for the announcement.

Edited by Kyrule

Interesting tweets from Chip:

@ice_chip: Hearing the Canes will interview Nichushkin on Wednesday. Others pre-draft interviews set for Friday

@ice_chip: Hearing Canes could trade No. 5 pick and move down on draft day if their draft target is taken in top four picks. Unlikely Canes to move up.

@ice_chip: Covering Rex golf at Wakefield Plantation this week. Word is Alex Semin has bought a house at Wakefield.

Dmitry Chesnokov ‏
@ice_chip he told me he really likes his new house.

Doug Abrams ‏
@dchesnokov what's your impression of Nichushkin? Would you take him #5 if you were GM & he were available?

Dmitry Chesnokov ‏
@dabrams2021 word is the Canes are REALLY interested

I remember seeing several insightful tweets from Chesnokov.  He seems to be pretty dialed in on the Russian players, so I think he's legit.
Edited by coastal_caniac

I find the tweet about looking at  trading down the #5 if the draft target isn't there most interesting. That would lead me to believe we have narrowed our pick to one player. As we know that could change on draft day but it sounds like we don't want to settle for best player available.

Thanks for posting those tweets Coastal, good stuff.

Man, we hear that JR doesn't want two Russians (although I still don't believe those comments). Now we hear that it may be Nichushkin (likely) or a move down. I like Nich and I would be very excited to have him here, but saying "no thanks" to MaKinnon, Barkov, Drouin, or Jones if Nich is gone is just hard to believe.

I'm still hoping we stay at #5 and make our pick. If we do move down it better only be a few slots with a very good return, if it is more than that I want a mind-blowing return. I want a good player, not some stockpiling of picks BS so we can draft more players who disappoint.

Edited by Kyrule

Well the idea that Nich might not have interviewed well at the combines can be completely addressed by his interview with the Canes. I wonder if Semin is involved with the interviewing process? 

I bet that JR comes out of the interview with a clear plan. 

The only thing that seems odd is the Canes might move down if their "target" is gone. It is hard to imagine the Canes not taking any of the top 4 Jones/MacKinnon/Drouin/Barkov if they fell and if they don't Nich will be there. Linholm and Monanhan can't be the target because they will almost certainly still be there. But if Nich is the target, and he goes, then one of the other top 4 will be there. 

The only thing that makes sense would be if Nich is NOT the target. (unless the Canes think Barkov or Drouin are overvalued). 

Yet the tweets in question suggest that the Canes are quite interested in Nich.

Then there is still the chance that some GM a few slots down gives up something really juicy.

This speculation gives us something to talk about, but I am getting really ready to get this done!!

I will say this. Even if we trade down we are going to get good players out of this. So long as JR doesn't go too far in trying to make a fair "hockey" trade, we are going to be better after this.

Edited by remkin

Looks like we're really into Nichushkin.  :notworthy:  :preach:  B)

I can only speculate, but the idea that Nich wouldn't be there at 5 probably stems from Tampa's interest in him. As far as passing on either Drouin or Barkov, I would guess that Barkov is assumed to be going to Nashville, and maybe JR isn't impressed with Drouin, or just doesn't want to get even more smallish players and would rather trade that fifth to someone in love with Drouin who will really overpay to pick him. 

Just my .02

One good thing is that the league know that JR is willing to listen to proposals for that #5.  It may come down to which one of the Fab Five are left and who out there is really infatuated with that player.  I'd bet JR will use every second of that pick time on draft day just to listen to any offer that may come in. 

I will say this. If any of Drouin, Jones, MacKinnon or Barkov fall to us it should take a significantly unbalanced trade to move us down. If you want to see a highlight reel look at Drouin's. Good grief his skill is off the hook. I don't care if he's not the tallest guy. Put a big center between him and Skinner and line up the orthopedic and psychiatric consults for the league's defenseman. 

BTW Hockey This Week has Drouin going second.

Nich, well it depends on the interview. If JR comes away with a warm fuzzy from that, then add Nich to that list. The way I see it, if JR is left with anxiety about Nich after his interview, then the downgrade gets more likely.

Now if someone wants to step up and really overpay, then we have to look at that, especially if it nets us a good defenseman.

Edited by remkin

I will say this. If any of Drouin, Jones, MacKinnon or Barkov fall to us it should take a significantly unbalanced trade to move us down. If you want to see a highlight reel look at Drouin's. Good grief his skill is off the hook. I don't care if he's not the tallest guy. Put a big center between him and Skinner and line up the orthopedic and psychiatric consults for the league's defenseman. 

BTW Hockey This Week has Drouin going second.

Nich, well it depends on the interview. If JR comes away with a warm fuzzy from that, then add Nich to that list. The way I see it, if JR is left with anxiety about Nich after his interview, then the downgrade gets more likely.

Now if someone wants to step up and really overpay, then we have to look at that, especially if it nets us a good defenseman.

I would not be surprised at all if Drouin goes number 2. Didn't Florida draft Gudbranson just a few years ago? In my opinion Jones is not NHL ready... most defenseman, even high picked guys, need time to develop and I believe Florida will not want to develop another dman when there is a guy like Drouin out there. Drouin alongside Huberdeau and Mueller would be dangerous... It makes sense if you think about it. So by putting Mackinnon and Drouin at 1 and 2, where do you guys think Jones falls in this situation?

If Drouin did go #2, well...

Mackinnon

Drouin

Nichuskin

Barkov

Jones?

It could happen.

Seriously, this thing could turn upside down real quickly. I don't think the Avs are bluffing, because they explained their statement as info to their fans on the direction they plan to go.

If Drouin did go #2, well...

Mackinnon

Drouin

Nichuskin

Barkov

Jones?

It could happen.

Seriously, this thing could turn upside down real quickly. I don't think the Avs are bluffing, because they explained their statement as info to their fans on the direction they plan to go.

I agree it's really up in the air now, but I'd have to say if Tampa had to choose between Jones and Nich, I think Tampa would lean towards Jones. Their problem definitely isn't offense, it's their defense and goaltending. Jones would go a long way establishing a defense Tampa has lacked.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I agree it's really up in the air now, but I'd have to say if Tampa had to choose between Jones and Nich, I think Tampa would lean towards Jones. Their problem definitely isn't offense, it's their defense and goaltending. Jones would go a long way establishing a defense Tampa has lacked.

Okay, thanks. 

I was mostly commenting on the fact Jones wasn't even a faller a couple of weeks ago. 

Okay, thanks. 

I was mostly commenting on the fact Jones wasn't even a faller a couple of weeks ago. 

I know, I was posting my thoughts on where Jones may fall?

As much as I would love it, I don't see Jones falling to us. Nashville needs offensive talent, but if it is between Nichushkin and Jones I don't see them taking another Russian that early for a while after Radulov. What are Tampa's draft needs? Because if they select Nich in the order of Mac, Drouin, Nich then I believe Nashville will select Barkov leaving us with Jones, or the possibility to trade the pick for a lot... I don't know so much is up in the air right now leaving me extremely excited for draft day!

I know, I was posting my thoughts on where Jones may fall?

Or maybe you just can't see us drafting anyone but Nich.  You may be right.

I'm keeping an open mind given it's still over a week away from the draft.

Edited by coastal_caniac